Old December 20, 2003, 03:34   #1
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 15:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Rio Ferdinand
Can't believe there's not a thread on this already, but here goes..

Quote:
Rio Ferdinand has been banned for eight months and fined £50,000 by the Football Association after being found guilty of missing a drugs test.
An independent tribunal found the Manchester United defender guilty of misconduct after he failed to take a test on 23 September.

The ban, which provisionally starts from 12 January, would see him miss the rest of the season and Euro 2004.

United have already indicated they will appeal against the punishment.

The verdict from the three-man disciplinary commission was unanimous despite evidence supporting Ferdinand from his manager Sir Alex Ferguson and other figures within the game.

It came at the end of a two-day hearing at Bolton's Reebok Stadium, which lasted over 18 hours in total, and was swiftly followed by confirmation of United's intention to appeal.

Speaking for the club and with Ferdinand at his side, United director Maurice Watkins said: "We are extremely disappointed by the result in this case.

It is a particularly savage and unprecedented sentence which makes an appeal inevitable

"It is a particularly savage and unprecedented sentence which makes an appeal inevitable.

"We can confirm that Rio has the full support of Manchester United and the PFA and there will be no further comment at this stage."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3333091.stm

1) There was a precedent for this last season. The offending player got a £2000 fine and no ban.

2) He didn't receive a fair trial. No less than FIFA's Sepp Blatter decided to put pressure on the three-man panel.

3) I'm sure employment law would have something to say about this...

This isn't the end of the story, and I doubt Ferdinand will serve a ban of anywhere near eight months.

(Sorry for posting a BBC link, www.football365.com tries to call itself a football site and hasn't updated for over twelve hours)
Old December 20, 2003, 03:41   #2
Solly
Emperor

"The suspension was longer than Jaap Stam or Edgar Davids received when nandrolone was found in their blood system and only a month shorter than that meted out to Mark Bosnich when he tested positive for cocaine"

"When a Manchester City player walked away from a test to pick up relatives at an airport, he received a small fine"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...938073,00.html
Old December 20, 2003, 04:02   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
It's pretty harsh but not entirely unexpected.

I hope the appeal goes well.
Old December 20, 2003, 04:56   #4
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

He missed the test because he was going to get caught with drugs in his system. Why else would he miss it?

Drug tests are a fact of life for other prof sportsmen and they receive far harsher punishments (banning for life?) Why should footballers get away with a $2000 fine for missing a test that would prove their guilt?
Old December 20, 2003, 06:03   #5
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I'm sure lots of footballers take drugs - Tony Cascarino just told a newspaper that he thinks the entire Marseille team may have been given drugs while he was there. The unlucky ones just get caught.

As to punishment, of course no-one should be exempt from what rules there are on drugs.

I myself have been thinking: is Wes Brown still injured?
Old December 20, 2003, 06:47   #6
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Sunrise

I hope the appeal goes well.
Suspension to finish the week before Euro 04 will do just fine thanks

The ban is totally over the top, but I don't think it would have hurt their cause if United and the player had appeared a little more contrite in the weeks leading up to the hearing.
Old December 20, 2003, 07:28   #7
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
The ban is totally over the top, but I don't think it would have hurt their cause if United and the player had appeared a little more contrite in the weeks leading up to the hearing.
The fact is that only a slight portion of the blame lies with Ferdinand; the main culprits are the testing authorities.

I can't see this ban sticking. It'll be reduced IMO.
Old December 20, 2003, 07:33   #8
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Park Avenue

The fact is that only a slight portion of the blame lies with Ferdinand; the main culprits are the testing authorities.

I can't see this ban sticking. It'll be reduced IMO.
The problem he's got is that whether the ban is fair or not, he's got 2 powerful figures against him in Palios and Blatter.

Plus if the ban gets reduced and Rio is able to play in Euro 04 the FA is leaving itself open for all sorts of accusations from other countries
Old December 20, 2003, 07:34   #9
Solly
Emperor

Other countries can **** off. Whether Ferdinand plays in the English leagues is a matter for the FA alone.
Old December 20, 2003, 07:40   #10
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Other countries can **** off. Whether Ferdinand plays in the English leagues is a matter for the FA alone.
Although I agree with your initial sentence (in this instance and in general), the fact is that any player who is banned from his national league is automatically banned from playing for his country.
It would look a bit suspicious if the ban was shortened to (say) 6 month so Ferdinand was 'convieniently' elligible for Euro 04
Old December 20, 2003, 07:44   #11
Solly
Emperor

Well, with the appeal, the ban isn't likely to start before the middle of February anyway, so even six months would stop him from playing there.

The FA generally seems harsh on Man Utd players.

You've seen the example of the City player who did the same and got a mere £2000 fine and nothing else.

You also remember Jamie Carragher throwing a coin indiscriminately into a crowd and getting banned for only a few games, whereas Cantona kicked a fan spitting racist abuse at him and got banned for a season.

It's not a line they really want to be taking...
Old December 20, 2003, 07:46   #12
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
You also remember Jamie Carragher throwing a coin indiscriminately into a crowd and getting banned for only a few games, whereas Cantona kicked a fan spitting racist abuse at him and got banned for a season.
Er, whats your point? Cantona kicks for a living, its a much worse offense.
Old December 20, 2003, 07:52   #13
Solly
Emperor

Rumours that Fergie is planning to with draw his English players from the national side. Butt, Scholes, G Neville, P Neville, Ferdinand...
Old December 20, 2003, 07:54   #14
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
Er, whats your point? Cantona kicks for a living, its a much worse offense.
Put it this way, which would play on your conscience more: i) throwing a coin into a bunch of people or ii) kicking someone who was hurling racist abuse at you.
Old December 20, 2003, 07:54   #15
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:

You've seen the example of the City player who did the same and got a mere £2000 fine and nothing else.

It's not a line they really want to be taking...
I'd be intersted to here the FA justification re. the City player, I've got the daily rags but hav'nt got round to reading much past the headlines.

I may be a bit baised here but I think perhaps maybe the visual impact of Cantonas attack caused the FA to overeact, it was on news programmes, magazine programmes etc.
Jamie throwing a coin was seen on MOTD and not a great deal afterwards so the FA wern't under as much pressure to be SEEN to do something.

And don't forget he both Cantona and Ferdinand are much higher profile footballer than either Carragher or Negouia (sp?), which goes back to the last point
Old December 20, 2003, 07:57   #16
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
And don't forget he both Cantona and Ferdinand are much higher profile footballer than either Carragher or Negouia (sp?), which goes back to the last point
Exactly.

And there is no harmonisation yet between countries' footballing rules, so FIFA haven't got the power to stand in in the way they have.
Old December 20, 2003, 08:01   #17
Snotty
King

Its not a matter of conscience, its the scale of the offense. Flying kicking someone for gods sake!
Old December 20, 2003, 08:02   #18
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
so FIFA haven't got the power to stand in in the way they have.
It would appear they have, deciding who gets to host World Cups etc. is a pretty potent weapon
Old December 20, 2003, 08:09   #19
C0ckney
King

Quote:
Rumours that Fergie is planning to with draw his English players from the national side. Butt, Scholes, G Neville, P Neville, Ferdinand...
that would be such a joke if he did, not going to help anything except perhaps fergie's ego

i think it's a bit harsh, but like reds said the FA have to be seen to take this drug testing business very seriously and because ferdinand is a household name this is especially true.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old December 20, 2003, 08:18   #20
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

The reason it's so much harsher than last year is that the new FA chief wants to be really hard on misbehaving players.

This is the first time for many years that the loss of the ManU players from the England side could be covered relatively comfortably. Although we'd miss Gary Neville.

We've got both kinds
Old December 20, 2003, 08:21   #21
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH

This is the first time for many years that the loss of the ManU players from the England side could be covered relatively comfortably.
...here we go.......

(pulls up a ringside seat and opens popcorn)
Old December 20, 2003, 08:24   #22
C0ckney
King

well we've always got danny mills, but i think we would miss scholes more than anyone.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old December 20, 2003, 09:03   #23
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
Yeah, I was going to say, missing the Neville Brothers might be a blessing in disguise, you 'dd miss both Scoles and Butt though, especially in a 2 week tournament.
Old December 20, 2003, 09:51   #24
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

Scholes has been crap for England recently. The Chelsea boys can take over. Joe Cole or Lampard in midfield with Gerrard and Becks. Sweet. Maybe play Rooney in the cheating position.

We've got both kinds
Old December 20, 2003, 09:52   #25
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

We've got good central midfielders coming out of our ears.

We've got both kinds
Old December 20, 2003, 10:02   #26
reds4ever
Prince

Joe Cole is VERY unproven at that level and I think Lampard flatters to decieve in that Chelsea side
Old December 20, 2003, 10:03   #27
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
Less so on the left field I gather...
Old December 20, 2003, 10:09   #28
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH
Maybe play Rooney in the cheating position.
He'd have to go some to cheat better than Frannie Jeffers
Old December 20, 2003, 13:31   #29
Solly
Emperor

Don't rate Cole or Lampard. Never have. Over-rated by southern-based journalists, now starting to latch on to Parker.

How long do we think Ferdinand will really be banned for? I can't see this ban staying as long as eight months..
Old December 20, 2003, 14:19   #30
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:

How long do we think Ferdinand will really be banned for? I can't see this ban staying as long as eight months..
It won't drop enough for him to get to Portugal, so whats that? 6.5 months?