Old December 20, 2003, 15:34   #31
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 15:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
It wouldn't surprise me if the ban is reduced quite severely, not just by a couple of months.

But then again, it depends on the altruism of those concerned with MUFC.
Old December 20, 2003, 17:10   #32
C0ckney
King

lampard is a quality player, but i'd still rather have scholes for his experience in that position. apart from that if we could bribe ryan gigs or damien duff to play for england then we'd have a perfect midfield.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old December 20, 2003, 18:52   #33
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Step 1 - FA appeals procedure.

Step 2 - Judicial review in the High Court of the FA's disciplinary procedures and whether they caried out a fair and impartial process.

Step 3 - European court.

This has a long way to run.

After the fuss made by the England players before the Turkey match this smacks of the silly old farts at the FA trying to assert themselves. I hope they are forced to reduce the ban and that they are thoroughly humiliated in the process.
Old December 21, 2003, 08:42   #34
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever
Joe Cole is VERY unproven at that level and I think Lampard flatters to decieve in that Chelsea side
Last season (before the money) he was great all year and this season he's been spectacular. Even more importantly he's also been playing well in the national side when he's been getting a game.

He's also been amazing in the Champions league. Even with all those world class players around him he's still the best and most consistent player in that Chelsea team. He runs the show.

You are right about Joe Cole but he's getting better and better now he's playing regularly. Give him another couple of years he's still very young.

Parker is totally unproven, he does look good. Have to see him in the Champions league before we can really tell though.

We've got both kinds
Old December 21, 2003, 09:33   #35
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH

Last season (before the money) he was great all year and this season he's been spectacular. Even more importantly he's also been playing well in the national side when he's been getting a game.

He's also been amazing in the Champions league. Even with all those world class players around him he's still the best and most consistent player in that Chelsea team. He runs the show.
I can't get past comparing him with Jamie Redknapp when he was at Liverpool, in that when he (and the team) plays well, he looks great, but on bad days he tends to 'go missing'
Old December 21, 2003, 10:11   #36
Solly
Emperor

Cerberus, once the FA appeals procedure has been through, at what size of the ban do you think that Man Utd will stop appealing? Will they be happy at it being three months, or do you think at that level they will appeal further and higher up?

By the way, heard something about FIFA having a clause for all members saying civil courts mustn't be referred to - not that it stops United/Ferdinand from doing so, but it puts them and England in a precarious wrt Champions League and Euro 2004 respectively.

One thing is for sure, it's a very interesting case.

Another thing is that the ****** going on about athletics or swimming can piss right off - this is football, not some woofter sport.
Old December 21, 2003, 10:20   #37
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Park Avenue
By the way, heard something about FIFA having a clause for all members saying civil courts mustn't be referred to - not that it stops United/Ferdinand from doing so, but it puts them and England in a precarious wrt Champions League and Euro 2004 respectively.
That was in the papers today, I don't know if it's true but didn't Bosman go through the courts for his case (Human rights, if memory serves)?

By the same token, if United/England want to play it that way, whats to stop FIFA/UEFA not allowing them/us in any of their competitions?

BTW. I did a little digging and the City player had permission to leave the training ground from the drug testers to go pick his mum up from the airport, the flight was delayed and he missed the test (all above board apparently)
Old December 21, 2003, 10:21   #38
reds4ever
Prince

..and forget Ferdinand going to Euro 04, theres NO WAY that will happen, the FA would be a laughing stock
Old December 21, 2003, 10:22   #39
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
I did a little digging and the City player had permission to leave the training ground from the drug testers to go pick his mum up from the airport
I wonder if the FA demanded evidence of the flight tickets.
Old December 21, 2003, 10:26   #40
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 10:54
Sepp Blatter is a ****ing *****.
Old December 21, 2003, 10:26   #41
Solly
Emperor

He's been anti-England ever since we voted aginst him.
Old December 21, 2003, 10:28   #42
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 10:54
Even I hate the corrupt bastard, and I'm American.
Old December 21, 2003, 10:30   #43
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 16:54
The time when you claimed that coines throwed by Liverpool FC-players travelled faster than bullets is a unforgetable classic.

As for the issue at hand; if the case with the City player is in fact the same as this one there's a good reason for an appeal. 'The boy with many names' is biased as hell and your statement that the FA always (more or less) is out to get United players ought to be taken with a pinch of salt. However, that's no reason for the english FA to at least try pretend that there's some kind of consisency in their rulings. On the other hand, the FA can after all change their policy over time. The attempts to stop doping in sports seems to be becoming serious for once (not that it's really going to last or make any difference imho).
Old December 21, 2003, 10:31   #44
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
He's been anti-England ever since we voted aginst him.
Was it the Daily Mail that exposed all the bribes and vote rigging? How the hell he got elected AFTER that I'll never know?
Old December 21, 2003, 10:32   #45
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
T

As for the issue at hand; if the case with the City player is in fact the same as this one there's a good reason for an appeal.
see my post above, the city player apperently had permission
Old December 21, 2003, 10:39   #46
Kropotkin
Emperor

Yeah, but you posted that while I was writing. I did see it afterwards.
Old December 21, 2003, 10:40   #47
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
see my post above, the city player apperently had permission
I don't think the difference between the cases is so great as to explain a 25 times larger fine and an extra 8 months ban.

It will certainly be reduced..many precedents Europe-wide.

If the FA/FIFA want harmonisation of drug testing rules, they better damn well say so before an incident occurs.
Old December 21, 2003, 10:45   #48
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:

I don't think the difference between the cases is so great as to explain a 25 times larger fine and an extra 8 months ban.

It will certainly be reduced..many precedents Europe-wide.

If the FA/FIFA want harmonisation of drug testing rules, they better damn well say so before an incident occurs.
If I left work without permission I get in a damn site more trouble than if I'd told them I was going to the dentist!

It may be reduced somewhat, but nothing like the 3 months you'd like, another thing to consider is that any reduction from 8 months to anything still over 5 months is meaningless because he'll still miss Portugal but still be able to play the start of next season

Last edited by reds4ever; December 21, 2003 at 11:00.
Old December 21, 2003, 14:09   #49
Solly
Emperor

While the appeal is going on, he will still be playing. 3 months will be fine if it starts at the end of May .

**** the FA and their English football team.
Old December 21, 2003, 15:44   #50
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I doubt if ManU and Alex Ferguson care about Ferdinand playing in Euro 2004, in fact they would probably prefer him not to. What they will be concerned about is the amount of money they have invested in him and the effect on their Premiership and european campaigns this season. To them that is probably worth throwing some more money at the lawyers to get the ban reduced or even dropped. A three month ban starting on 1 July would probably be quite acceptable to them.
Old December 21, 2003, 17:21   #51
Solly
Emperor

Hopefully something like that is what will happen. Screws the FA over but Man Utd won't give a damn, and Ferdinand somewhere in between I guess...
Old December 21, 2003, 19:46   #52
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever

I can't get past comparing him with Jamie Redknapp when he was at Liverpool, in that when he (and the team) plays well, he looks great, but on bad days he tends to 'go missing'
This season (and much of last season) he was the one playing well when the rest of the team weren't.

We've got both kinds
Old December 21, 2003, 21:30   #53
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH

This season (and much of last season) he was the one playing well when the rest of the team weren't.
Thats what i mean't by 'I can't get past'! You know what I mean? (Harry)
Old December 21, 2003, 21:39   #54
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Slightly OT but I just found this,

Could be fun I guess especially with a different kind of drug..
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	polishsoccer.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	60169  
Old December 21, 2003, 21:53   #55
C0ckney
King

it looks like someone's gone and draw a football pitch on a golf course...

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old December 22, 2003, 05:35   #56
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Ferdinands ban is correct however the FA have cocked up by a) taking so long and b) not banning people int he past for the same offence.

How do you "forget" to take a drugs test, my God its not as if his life is filled with complications.

A lenghty ban should be automatic unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances. such as your parents dying.
Old December 22, 2003, 11:42   #57
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
How do you "forget" to take a drugs test, my God its not as if his life is filled with complications.
No, nothing like moving house at the time or anything..

I'd support the ban if the FA had made clear what would happen if you forget to produce a sample for the test, even if there was no previous precedent. The fact is the precedents before shows the FA wouldn't give a significant ban, and neither did they say that anything had changed.

And for this reason, I believe Rio will escape this savage and undeserved action, one way or other.
Old December 22, 2003, 17:51   #58
lightblue
Warlord

The City guy returned to the drug testers within the hour, Ferdinand took 44 hours to get tested. Can't clear drugs out of your system in an hour, can in 44 hours. Think that's the main difference.

Bit harsh that he only got 1 month less than Bosnich who did get caught, and 3 months more than Stam, Davids, Couto and De Boer who also got caught. I can see it being reduced after a lengthy appeal procedure to 4 months.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old December 22, 2003, 17:57   #59
reds4ever
Prince

I'd like to know why it took so long to get the phone records that were supposed to clear Ferdinand and why some of the numbers he rang around that time were smudged or missing altogether?
Old December 23, 2003, 05:24   #60
Solly
Emperor

"ome of the numbers he rang around that time were smudged or missing altogether"

Url?