Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Have you checked on the Logitech web site for driver downloads?
I believe it's the latest drivers that causes the problems... I downloaded the latest drivers last time (Just did a reformat yesterday)... at present time I don't have any drivers installed (Can't use the buttons now )
Old December 30, 2003, 15:56   #92
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

We've got all players now

We just need two things now: emails and timezone... when I have the timezones for all players I'll make the playing list..!

**PLAYER LIST DELETED**

Last edited by Adagio; January 7, 2004 at 10:35.
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2003, 16:48   #93
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 15:54
sirralph at gmx dot com

IIRC, GhengisFarb is GMT-6, Tarquinius GMT+1 and NYE is GMT-7.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2003, 16:52   #94
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
It's not the mouse, it's the new drivers to the mouse... and I'm not going to buy other mice than Logitech
I have an optical Logitech mouse. Bought it for €19.95 in the MediaMarkt. It's the best mouse I ever had. My mouse at work is also an optical Logitech, albeit more expensive than mine at home.

Oh I forgot, you backwards Danes don't have Euros... tse!
Old December 30, 2003, 17:10   #95
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
I have an optical Logitech mouse. Bought it for €19.95 in the MediaMarkt. It's the best mouse I ever had. My mouse at work is also an optical Logitech, albeit more expensive than mine at home.
my current mouse is getting old, so it's about time to get a replacement for it, though I haven't found any good replacement yet. Since I require my mouse to be ergohowit'sspelled and wireless, there's not many mice to chose from... basicly I have only found 2:
1) The one I got now (Which also is the same as my mouse before my current one)
2) A mouse for €100... too expensive for me... it's also optical, but I couldn't care less about it...

Quote:
Tell me about it
Old December 30, 2003, 17:16   #96
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:54
wittlich (at) sbcglobal (dot) net
Old December 30, 2003, 17:18   #97
Harovan
staff

There are wireless optical mice, IIRC from Logitech too, but they are expensive. Optical mice have the benefit, that you don't need to clean them all the time for them to work. All my ball mice I ever had worked bad, the ball got slippery with the time and dirt collected inside at the rollers. Can't happen with an optical mouse.
Old December 30, 2003, 17:25   #98
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Yeah wireless optical is expensive, but I'm not really interested in paying extra to get optical, but I can't live without wireless... but there's only two mice which are both ergo and wireless... at least from what I've seen avaliable in DK

... Did you have some older driver for it?

I'll try tomorow to see if I can get it working with the newer driver, but I doubt it...
Old December 30, 2003, 20:50   #99
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 23:54
Quote:
Oh, and btw: to y-wrapping as well as to predefined different replacements. I still think the idea of a "game mentor" or "game referee", who gets all passwords and all saves as CC and plays if a player is not able to play in a predefined time (48 hours?) in a fair and unbiased way. This works well in other games (Civ2, CtP), so why not here?
I like these ideas.

48 hours should be plenty of time

paddythescot @ hotmail dot com

Last edited by Paddy; December 30, 2003 at 21:00.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2003, 22:27   #100
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:54
CC of saves: Iffy. I'll likely end up creating a secondary hotmail account just for saves, and old saves would be purged regularly.

Y-wrapping: spoilsports.
I'll just remake the maps, since I missed the water coverage by a bit.
Old December 31, 2003, 08:46   #101
Harovan
staff

The water coverage and the fact that they were small instead of tiny.
Old December 31, 2003, 09:46   #102
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 09:54
Quote:
S R's quote:

Originally posted by ADG:
Tell me about it
How about a little barter- if you can get me a good deal on some Ecco hikers, maybe I can dig up some Logitech bargains for you stateside. ;-)

Would anyone have trouble playing a turn within 24 hours of receiving it? I prefer the defaults-to-the-referee rule over having substitutes, if this works for Octavian.

Octavian, are Civs being assigned randomly then also? If so, I think we might want to consider the Y-wrapping feature again. It could give seafaring civs something more to do with their ships. (I haven't played a seafaring civ in SP yet, so forgive me if this would be irrellevant.)

Last edited by Rommel2D; December 31, 2003 at 09:51.
Rommel2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2003, 10:25   #103
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Shouldn't we just have all players chose their Civ (Or should we edit the rule so all Seafaring Civs will get another trait instead of seafaring?

I'm checking my mail every day, so I wont have any problems with the 24 hour limit...

How should this substitute work then?
1) One player who's not participitating in the tournament gets all passwords. If someone doesn't play the turn within the 24 hours this substitute plays the turn
2) One player from game 1 is a substitute for all players in game 2, and vice versa
3) The index-substitute I posted earlier

Cast your vote
Old December 31, 2003, 10:35   #104
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Btw, I've got an ftp which can be used for exchanging the saves (It's not used for anything else anyway). I've got a 1024/512 connection, and the ftp is open 24 hours a day (The saves can the be avaliable directly from the web (So you don't have to connect via ftp to download the file... this is optional of course)

What do you think? Would anyone use this? In my oppinion it's much better than ordinary emails, since they've always got this # mb file limit, and a save can be large
Old December 31, 2003, 10:57   #105
Harovan
staff

Well, does your ftp ring a bell if the save arrives? My email does...
Old December 31, 2003, 11:07   #106
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Not really...

But it's still easy to send an ordinary mail... I just know attaching files to an email with hotmail is pretty annoying, compared to just upload the files to the ftp... and downloading an file though a static link is also much easier than downloading an attachment in hotmail... I don't know how this is in other mail services...
Old December 31, 2003, 12:02   #107
Harovan
staff

The download through ftp is not the issue. The notification, that the turn is here, is it. Polling an ftp account is as annoying as polling the turn thread.

Besides, I don't know why anyone would use hotmail or yahoo. Both are crap, and there are plenty of other free mail services on the web. Heck, I even have a free mail account in Kyrgystan. An ...@netmail.kg address rules.
Old December 31, 2003, 12:03   #108
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Have we actually agreed about selecting civs? Are they to be random or do we get to choose? If choose - how to decide who picks first?

Leave seafaring in. I can think of a couple of advantages to seafaring even on a tiny pangaea (like you are pretty sure to start with your back to the sea and sending a coracle may be the quickest way to find the other players).
Old December 31, 2003, 12:22   #109
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

No, we haven't agreed, but we can make a pol out of it (Remember, we've got a poll going already)...

Should we have random Civs or not? Personally I like either way...
Old December 31, 2003, 12:26   #110
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 23:54
I am interested either way,

yet I see advantages in Random, as it allows a certain amout of guts and glory in possibly getting a civ you have not studied to death...
Old December 31, 2003, 12:43   #111
Harovan
staff

Random is a good way to go, but it has certain disadvantages concerning UUs. I don't expect any game to last longer than the middle ages, so anyone who draws a civ with an industrial (Germany) or modern (America) UU will be slightly screwed. Even Russia, the Ottomans, Korea and England may have an UU which comes too late.
Old December 31, 2003, 19:22   #112
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I am rather drunk at the moment so my vote is for random civs.

Happy New Year.
Old December 31, 2003, 19:47   #113
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

My vote is for Random civs also.
Old December 31, 2003, 22:26   #114
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 08:54
I vote random civs.
predesad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2003, 22:27   #115
Rommel2D
staff

Quote:
How should this substitute work then?
1) One player who's not participitating in the tournament gets all passwords. If someone doesn't play the turn within the 24 hours this substitute plays the turn
2) One player from game 1 is a substitute for all players in game 2, and vice versa
3) The index-substitute I posted earlier
I thought number 1) was part of what a referee would be for- an impartial player to turn on governors, automate workers, react to offensive threats, and send the turn on.

ADG, if the upload process is quick and simple, how about we send copies of the turns to your ftp site instead of CCing Octavian (or whoever)? If somebody is late or missing, the ref with the password can retrieve the turn when needed.

Along the lines of what Sir Ralph was saying, it's worth the time (or even a nominal sign-up fee) to get a good quality, ad-free email account. It takes me about 5 seconds to poll my Fastmail account for new email and attaching/detatching files is a single-click process. Delivery is instantaneous also, something I didn't have with my old go.com account.

I'm fine with random Civs, but anyone with a seafaring or late-era UU Civ is going to have a prefab excuse for a poor showing... if I get England, I'll have to crack a bottle of Samuel Smith's every turn to console myself.
Old December 31, 2003, 22:37   #116
Rommel2D
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV:
...sending a coracle may be the quickest way to find the other players).
What's that, a crusader that browbeats the enemy into submission by describing the absurdities of the culture-flipping system? :-D

Last edited by Rommel2D; January 3, 2004 at 09:44.
Rommel2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2003, 22:55   #117
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Good one Rommel!

Last edited by Wittlich; January 1, 2004 at 13:42.
Wittlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2004, 07:21   #118
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rommel2D
ADG, if the upload process is quick and simple, how about we send copies of the turns to your ftp site instead of CCing Octavian (or whoever)? If somebody is late or missing, the ref with the password can retrieve the turn when needed.
Yeah, that's how I imagined it (I doubt this refferee wants to recieve emails for all turns all the time)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rommel2D
Along the lines of what Sir Ralph was saying, it's worth the time (or even a nominal sign-up fee) to get a good quality, ad-free email account. It takes me about 5 seconds to poll my Fastmail account for new email and attaching/detatching files is a single-click process. Delivery is instantaneous also, something I didn't have with my old go.com account.
I just didn't want to go through all the hassle to get a new email account... maybe I will do it this year
Old January 1, 2004, 19:46   #119
Iron Jackson
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Prince

I´m in too.

warrenlynch at gmx dot de

GMT +1
Iron Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2004, 07:09   #120
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

You can't participitate unless we can get a 5th game running (With 4 players)

Then the final game will be of 5 players instead of 4 though...