Old January 5, 2004, 09:49   #451
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 09:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Can't believe I talked myself into picking Denver. They looked awfully Bear-like out there...
Completely ineffectual.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old January 5, 2004, 09:56   #452
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 10:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

Cool. Looks like the Eagles have a shot at going 15-1 next year.

Stuie, the Eagles are good but let's be realistic - the only way they could go 15-1 is if they play Atlanta every game next year. The way we kicked Atlanta's butt regular season this year and in the playoffs last year was just a shame. I wish we were facing Vick this Sunday instead of Favre. Unfortunately, the only thing Vick will be facing this weekend is the TV set.

What are the Packers chances for winning on Sunday? Slim.

Favre's stats for the Packers 17-14 loss to the Eagles in Novermber: 14/22 for 109 yards td, int ...Packers 68 net yards passing.

Ahman Green ran for 192 yards and they still couldn't beat the Eagles.

Packers had greater time of possession and total yards than Eagles and still couldn't win. O n Monday night. At Lambeau.

Goodnight, Packers...

Old January 5, 2004, 12:51   #453
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
the only way they could go 15-1 is if they play Atlanta every game next year.
Um... you do know that in the regular season this year, you were playing a team without Vick, right?

My guess is you wouldn't want to play the Falcons every game next year. With Vick, a fancy new defense (well some parts, and probably Lovie Smith leading them, you'd want to watch out .

Quote:
What are the Packers chances for winning on Sunday? Slim.
Actually it's very good. Like you said the Eagles beat the Packers 17-14 in November. That ain't a blowout by any means. And Farve has been playing out of his mind the last few weeks. Philly better not take the Pack lightly or they'll escape with a win.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 5, 2004, 13:01   #454
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Most unintentionally funny moment of the weekend: The entire Denver Broncos defense standing around and comparing hair-care notes while Marvin Harrison got up and ran into the end zone untouched.

Honorable mention: The look on Hasselbeck's face after he threw the interception...
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old January 5, 2004, 13:57   #455
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
With Vick, a fancy new defense (well some parts, and probably Lovie Smith leading them, you'd want to watch out .

Somehow I find it hard to get worried about a team led by a man named "Lovie". Lovie will have a "fancy" defense, you say? Sure, they'll be dressed in lace and ribbons and block like ballerinas. Yeah, they'll be hungry for sacks all right -- nutsacks, that is .... Lovie...
Old January 5, 2004, 14:06   #456
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Even though Philly one in regular season, I think Wild Card week proved regular season results mean absoltely nothing going into a play-off game
Old January 5, 2004, 14:41   #457
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Lovie will have a "fancy" defense, you say? Sure, they'll be dressed in lace and ribbons and block like ballerinas. Yeah, they'll be hungry for sacks all right -- nutsacks, that is .... Lovie...
Go ahead and think that way. I'm sure people thought the same thing about a coach who cried and said I love you to his players (ie, **** Vermeil)... then watch them steamroll over you .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old January 5, 2004, 16:34   #458
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 14:55
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Frozzy
Quote:
including housing indy like school children w/o clinton portis.[/quote

But Indy nuked Denver with Portis, by a bigger scoreline than in the regular season.

Quite frankly, I think Dungy knew that the Colts were likely to play Denver again in the playoffs, and used the regular season game as a "trial run". Denver couldn't do that, they needed the win. Indianapolis did to a much much lesser extent, and could afford to try out new things.
no
Old January 5, 2004, 17:12   #459
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Quite frankly, I think Dungy knew that the Colts were likely to play Denver again in the playoffs, and used the regular season game as a "trial run". Denver couldn't do that, they needed the win. Indianapolis did to a much much lesser extent, and could afford to try out new things.
I think that's silly as well. Indy was fighting for a division title. They wouldn't have treated the game as a 'trial run'.
Old January 8, 2004, 10:22   #460
Brundlefly
Prince

ixnay is awful silent about his packers. Perhaps due to lack of confidence? But why would he lack confidence about his team? After all, they are a team of "destiny" this year ...
Old January 8, 2004, 10:33   #461
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

You misspelled that, bfg. It's "Green Bay Packers -- Team of Density."

...and yeah, the lack of ixnay's crowing is oddly unsettling.

Old January 8, 2004, 11:42   #462
Brundlefly
Prince

Wanted to make an avatar out of this, but don't know how to....

Old January 8, 2004, 11:47   #463
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 16:55
I doubt Ixnay will help you with that.
Old January 8, 2004, 13:58   #464
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

It doesn't look like he needed Ixnay's help after all
Old January 8, 2004, 16:25   #465
badams52
King

Local Time: 06:55
Well, I made it avatar size...53x80, but I'm not good enough to shrink the size down to <10k. Someone else will have to do that one.
Attached Images:

Old January 8, 2004, 16:30   #466
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Btw... Joe Gibbs in Washington... that will be an interesting division.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:49   #467
Brundlefly
Prince

Thanks for your effort badams!
Old January 8, 2004, 17:10   #468
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 14:55
every year I think its funny how many teams expect to make the playoffs next years. so for my amusement lets compile a list.

every playoff team this year(thats 12).

the miami dolphins-they won 10 games, they're surely in next year!

the buffalo bills-they had a highly ranked offense a year ago, and a highly ranked defense this year! next year they will combine the two.

cincinnati bengals-2 wins to 8 wins to 14 wins?

washington redskins-they now have IMO the coach w/ the best resume ever.

49ers-10 win season w/ a young team, fire coach, win 7 games. team still getting better. ps. get a kicker.

bucs-yah ok post superbowl letdown, but next year it will be in order!

vikings-ps. dont lose to 4 win teams. and certainly dont lose to ALL OF THEM.

falcons-stay healthy vick! its a shoe in!

new orleans-u figure the law of avg's at some point they should stop choking.

giants-superbowl quality team gone awry? we'll see.

jets-pennington stay healthy!

bears-bears always expect what they probably wont get.

so thats 24/32 teams that I think expect to make the playoffs. but alas, only 12 spots.
Old January 9, 2004, 02:05   #469
Imran Siddiqui
staff

BUMP!

Falcons sign Jim Mora, Jr. (Def Coord - SF) to be the NEW head coach. Rumor has it that he is also taking the Offensive Coordinator AND O-Line coach from SF with him to ATL. All three coaches are hold overs from the Mooch era.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ora/index.html
Old January 9, 2004, 06:09   #470
Zopperoni
Emperor

Erickson's doomed.
Old January 9, 2004, 08:51   #471
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Out of the 7 teams that fired their head coaches, 4 have now gotten new ones... leaving the Bears now without their plan B.

They better sign Sabin, of they will look like total morons yet again.
Old January 9, 2004, 11:48   #472
-Jrabbit
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
They better sign Sabin
Don't count on it. He wants "Spurrier money."
Quote:
...or they will look like total morons yet again.
Well, with Lovie Smith and Romeo Crennell as the backups, at least it's not as bad as 5 yrs ago.

Old January 9, 2004, 12:40   #473
Zopperoni
Emperor

I hope Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis stay with the Patriots. They are extremely important to the team's success.

In other news, former NYJ defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell has been offered a contract by the Vikings. I think he'd be a very valuable addition to the team.
Old January 9, 2004, 14:15   #474
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:55
Sorry I haven't had much of a chance to grace this thread this week but the new computer I'm building had a busted power supply and I needed to wait for a replacement

With that said, I don't see how the Eagles will be able to beat the Pack this week. Ahman Green will run all over them and if the Eagles try to stop him Favre will air the ball out.

The Eagles barely won in a bad-condition game with the Pack having multiple fumbles.

That's not going to happen this week.

GO PACK GO
Old January 9, 2004, 14:33   #475
-Jrabbit
Deity

Welcome back, ixnay. We were perplexed at your silence in the wake of cheesehead victory...

Oh and btw, the Pack is going down this week.

Old January 9, 2004, 14:35   #476
Brundlefly
Prince

Yes, Eagles fans know more
Quote:
Market research points to contrasts between Philadelphia, Green Bay.

You can get a pretty good argument going about whether Eagles fans or Packers fans are the more passionate.

But facts are facts.

Compared to their counterparts in Wisconsin, the Eagles faithful are better-educated, better-paid, more tech-savvy and more widely traveled. You can look it up.

This information comes from an impartial source - a survey of NFL fans, done market-by-market by Scarborough Sports Marketing and published last year by the SportsBusiness Journal.

Appearances (at times) to the contrary, nearly 25 percent of all people who identify themselves as Eagles fans are college-educated, which is slightly above the average for the entire league.

Only 22 percent of Packers fans went to college, which is slightly below average. In this category, by the way, Redskins followers lead the league while the Bills come in last.

When it comes to money, 35 percent of Eagles fandom report family incomes in excess of $75,000, which is above the NFL average, compared to a mere 27 percent for the Packers, which isn't. Here the Raiders are first and the Bills bring up the rear yet again.

In terms of frequency of Internet use, Eagles fans are above average, Packers supporters below. On overseas travel, it's the same story: Eagles above, Packers below.

To be sure, Green Bay fans outrank Eagles followers in several categories.

They take more domestic airplane flights.

They eat at more often at McDonald's and Taco Bell, though not Wendy's or Burger King.

A slightly higher percentage of them are women.

In addition, Packers officials point to the results of ESPN the Magazine's "ultimate standings" - an elaborate, statistical attempt to determine which team's supporters felt most fulfilled by being fans.

Of 118 franchises rated last January, the Packers came in first.

But the Eagles finished a more-than-respectable seventh. And if those standings were recalculated as of today, after the move to Lincoln Financial Field, the results might well have been different.

As writer Peter Keating noted in presenting the numbers: "The Eagles likely would have finished No. 1 on our list if their own fans hadn't savaged Veterans Stadium."

One final note. Beyond wearing hats made to look like wedges of cheddar cheese, Green Bay fans are famous for their love of beer and their loyalty to their own.

So it's no surprise that they lead the league, if not the universe, in the following category: percentage of individuals who, in the last 30 days, consumed an alcoholic beverage brewed by the Milwaukee-based Miller Brewing Co.

For the record, an astounding 45 percent of Packers fans fit that description, about triple the league average.

So we know what they'll be drinking Sunday night. The question is whether they'll be celebrating or drowning their sorrows.

They will be drowning some sorrows after watching Favre interceptions and Packers fumbles combined with a stellar McNabb performance produce an Eagles win.

Eagles 27, Packers 13
Old January 9, 2004, 15:17   #477
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Out of the 7 teams that fired their head coaches, 4 have now gotten new ones... leaving the Bears now without their plan B.

I don't think they will get Sabin, unless they totally offer him money we wouldn't think they ever would. Interestingly Mora was #2 on the Bears list. They may be able to score Crennel or Smith and not look that bad at all.

Quote:
Erickson's doomed.
DOOMED!
Old January 9, 2004, 15:39   #478
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 06:55
Lovie Smith at Chicago would be interesting. I have lots of friends who are Bears fans.
Old January 9, 2004, 15:52   #479
-Jrabbit
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
I don't think they will get Sabin, unless they totally offer him money we wouldn't think they ever would. Interestingly Mora was #2 on the Bears list. They may be able to score Crennel or Smith and not look that bad at all.
You're wrong Imram. If they end up with another defensive coordinator with no NFL head coaching experience, Angelo is an idiot, plain and simple. Why?
Because the one he just fired at least had 5 years of coaching experience and knew the team.

The only (positive) explanation that makes sense is that the Sabin hire is a done deal.

Otherwise, the recent head coaching history of the Bears will look like like this:

Wannstedt (D-coord, no experience)
Jauron (D-coord, no exp) as Plan B to McGinness (D-coord, no exp)
THEN
Lovie, Romeo, or Greg Blache (all D-coords with no exp).
...and if that's the scenario, Angelo is an idiot.

If it's Fassell, we know the plan failed and he's getting last choice of the guys with experience.

If it's Sabin, we have hope. It means Angelo had a plan and found a way to make it happen.

If it's anyone else, it means Angelo is a foolhardy gambler who risked the team's success on his friendship with Sabin.

I'm really, REEEALLLY hoping we get Sabin at this point.
The alternatives are pretty ugly to contemplate...

Old January 9, 2004, 15:58   #480
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
You're wrong Imram. If they end up with another defensive coordinator with no NFL head coaching experience, Angelo is an idiot, plain and simple. Why?
Because the one he just fired at least had 5 years of coaching experience and knew the team.
You ignore something important though. Both Smith and Crennel would be black head coaches. I know people say it doesn't matter, but I bet that free agents (most of them black) would go to a team they felt was better to minorities all other things being equal.

Remember, the D-Coord without NFL head coaching experience isn't always a bad pick. Tony Dungy, Marvin Lewis, Dom Capers, etc.