Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 10:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Imran's lily-white?
I KNEW Q was drunk at the Poly meet!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 24, 2003, 00:40   #302
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 09:57
actually, well, that doesn't make any sense, either.
Old December 24, 2003, 00:41   #303
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Are you drunk now?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 24, 2003, 00:41   #304
Q Classic
Emperor

no, i'm perfectly lucid.

i can type if i concentrate on the keyboard.
Old December 24, 2003, 00:44   #305
Imran Siddiqui
staff

What about those flying keys?
Old December 24, 2003, 00:46   #306
Q Classic
Emperor

not drunk enough yet to see those.

lemme get a few more drinks.
Old December 24, 2003, 00:50   #307
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Chug! Chug! CHUG!
Old December 24, 2003, 01:44   #308
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:57
I, as a direct descendant of a forefather who has put me on this poor earth, am a Productive being.

I realize that only through hard work am I capable of achieving God's grace.

That only by being Obedient am I to fulfill that with my brothers.

That Sobriety will keep me on the right path.

That Truthfulness will keep my enemies at bay.

Cleanliness will reward itself multifold.

And by Honesty will I represent my Race.

And by all means of Sacrifice I will defend this Land

Productiveness, Obedience, Sobriety, Truthfulness, Cleanliness, Honesty, Sacrifice, and Love of the Fatherland is the Path to Freedom.

What other Ideals does the Conservative have?
Old December 24, 2003, 01:51   #309
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:57
I think they lack Love.

Happy Christmas, and love be upon everyone.
Old December 24, 2003, 01:51   #310
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:57
Haven't read the whole thread, but you're full of ****, Tripledoc.
Old December 24, 2003, 02:10   #311
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
The graph you gave was about GDP growth as a raw number, but not as a per capita one.
Who does GDP GROWTH per capita?! Growth is simply how much did the economy improve. 'per capita' has nothing to do with it.
That has got to be sarcasm.

Let's say there are 7 millions people in Quebec and 11 millions in Ontario. (tall number in these figures are gross estimations).

Per capita, Ontario is 25 000$. So 11 millions x 25 000. So we have got a 275 billions GDP.
Let's say Quebec is at 22 000$. 7 millions x 22 000 is a GDP of 154 billions.

Now, if the graph says that Ontario's GDP increased by 1 billion from a year to another and that Quebec's has increased by 550 millions in the same time, you are obviously talking about similar GROWTH as a percentage. 11 millions people will obviously create more wealth. What you need to know is how the raw number growth amounts when compared to the total number, as to calculate a growth percentage.

Just in case you are not mocking me but are truly dumb:
Take a village of 100 with a GDP of of 200 000$. In a year, it doubles to 400 000$. Now take a city of 10 000 with a GDP of 20 000 000$. In a year it increases to 22 000 000$. Which increase is larger? the 2 millions one or the 200 000$ one?
Please, don't tell me you were serious.

Second point: taking pure GDP growth percentage is still not fair, because the population of Ontario grew faster. New immigrants start at practically 0 and immediately start creating wealth.
If a country received a billion immigrants, but it only increased the GDP by 100 billions, statistics would still show an increase in GDP growth percentage.
The only way to avoid this is to compare PER CAPITA figures, which determine how much wealth per inhabitant has been created.

So no, the only fair comparison is when you take per capita GDP growth percentage and nothing else.

Third point: state regulations in Quebec impose lower rents asked by landlords and maximum prices on some commodities. Therefore, even with less a lesser revenue, Quebecers can enjoy a buying power similar to someone with slightly more money but living somewhere else.
In the case of huge metropolis like London, the difference is enormous. Price differences between London and Montreal range from 50% to 100% and more, even on luxury products

Quote:
Quote:
don't tell French Canadians Quebec is not a country. It might be true politically, but many of them certainly feel like having a distinct society, somewhere in a place we call "Heart".
Kind of like the morons in the South who say 'The South shall rise again'?
Since you don't have a clue as to what is Canadian history, French Canadian history, Canadian politics, Quebecois politics and Quebecois culture, I suggest you just shut up on this one. It can only help your reputation.
(In 1995, there was a referendum in Quebec. 49.4% of the population voted for separation).
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old December 24, 2003, 02:17   #312
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripledoc
I, as a direct descendant of a forefather who has put me on this poor earth, am a Productive being.

I realize that only through hard work am I capable of achieving God's grace.

That only by being Obedient am I to fulfill that with my brothers.

That Sobriety will keep me on the right path.

That Truthfulness will keep my enemies at bay.

Cleanliness will reward itself multifold.

And by Honesty will I represent my Race.

And by all means of Sacrifice I will defend this Land

Productiveness, Obedience, Sobriety, Truthfulness, Cleanliness, Honesty, Sacrifice, and Love of the Fatherland is the Path to Freedom.

What other Ideals does the Conservative have?
Nice one Tripledoc. As if being "productive" was working all day long, cleaning toilets, writing biased articles for the Washington post, playing in crappy Hollywood movies that have not evolved in 100 years, or creating sucky advertisements telling everyone how great is Ronald McDonald to the world's justice.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old December 24, 2003, 05:33   #313
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Ned, I'll be getting back on your questions with a new thread, but probably after New Year only. (I've spent dozens of hours on this one)

I think I'll be "closing" it soon. Just after I can work out the proposed draw by JohnT

In the meanwhile, if you are really serious in your claims, buying some issues of Le Monde Diplomatique and reading some of Chomsky's works is a good start. There is also Naomi Klein, who might be too biased to my liking, but hell, she can't be worse than FOX news! Even if you're not serious, my references will prove I'm not making anything up!

Now, Chomsky is not a great historian, but the elementary facts are there. You can then use the basics acquired to read some other less pamphlet-inclined historians who will give you a better picture.

I am just finishing Chomsky now, so I am definitely looking to refine my point of view. I have also read a French book describing America's drug policy: I can tell you, it's ugly. The author is referencing to similar American books. If I can get hold how her referencies, I could provide them to you.

It's very hard to provide non-book references, because remembering the exact newspaper or radio broadcast in which you learned something is trying on the memory.

Please, everyone, no such jokes as" Yup Fakeboris, you'd definitely benefit from a refinement of your views".
Old December 24, 2003, 07:08   #314
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 17:57
Yup Fakeboris, you'd definitely benefit from a refinement of your views.

come on, dude, you were asking for it.
Old December 24, 2003, 14:13   #315
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Now, if the graph says that Ontario's GDP increased by 1 billion from a year to another and that Quebec's has increased by 550 millions in the same time, you are obviously talking about similar GROWTH as a percentage. 11 millions people will obviously create more wealth. What you need to know is how the raw number growth amounts when compared to the total number, as to calculate a growth percentage.

Just in case you are not mocking me but are truly dumb:
Take a village of 100 with a GDP of of 200 000$. In a year, it doubles to 400 000$. Now take a city of 10 000 with a GDP of 20 000 000$. In a year it increases to 22 000 000$. Which increase is larger? the 2 millions one or the 200 000$ one?
Please, don't tell me you were serious.
You are an idiot aren't you? GDP Growth IS a percentage increase in GDP! I mean, really, you try to argue things and have no idea what you are arguing about. Uninformed and ignorant is no way to debate, fakeboris.

Quote:
taking pure GDP growth percentage is still not fair, because the population of Ontario grew faster. New immigrants start at practically 0 and immediately start creating wealth.
Because immigrants aren't any drain at all on services?

Quote:
So no, the only fair comparison is when you take per capita GDP growth percentage and nothing else.
Have you ever heard of an economist spoeak of GDP growth per capita? Seriously, GDP growth is the only viable measure in discussing economic growth of countries. Whether more or less people were added doesn't matter worth a damn.. because those people are also a drain on the system as they are a gain.

When the US economy grows by 3% and France's grows by 3%, do you ever hear anyone say, but wait, the US had more people coming in, so by GDP growth per capita France had a better year? NO! Because it is silly.

Quote:
Since you don't have a clue as to what is Canadian history, French Canadian history, Canadian politics, Quebecois politics and Quebecois culture, I suggest you just shut up on this one. It can only help your reputation.
(In 1995, there was a referendum in Quebec. 49.4% of the population voted for separation).
Was it 50% or greater? NO! So I suggest you shut up on this one. Quebec is NOT a country. It has not declared statehood. It has not been recognized by anyone else as a state. The Canadian Supreme Court ruled Quebec could not succeed due to principles of international law.

Quebec is NOT a country and never will be. So I suggest you deal with it and accept that you are just a province of Canada and nothing more .
Old December 24, 2003, 16:43   #316
MrFun
Emperor

Yeah -- if Quebec can deal with being part of Canada, then Texas sure as hell can TRY to deal with being part of United States.
Old December 24, 2003, 18:45   #317
Imran Siddiqui
staff

They do

*points to the White House*
Old December 24, 2003, 19:44   #318
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 23:57
Quote:

Quote:
Was it 50% or greater? NO! So I suggest you shut up on this one. Quebec is NOT a country. It has not declared statehood. It has not been recognized by anyone else as a state. The Canadian Supreme Court ruled Quebec could not succeed due to principles of international law.

Quebec is NOT a country and never will be. So I suggest you deal with it and accept that you are just a province of Canada and nothing more .
Um... Imran. You might want to check that.

If the referendum had passed, it would have been politically impossible not to allow Quebec to separate.

As it stands if any province conducts a referendum with a properly worded question and votes to separate, the Federal Government is bound by law to negotiate in good faith with them.

I don't think this will happen in Quebec in the next 20 years, but it may happen and in that case Quebec would probably separate. The Quebecois are a bolshie lot and I don't think it would be politically feasible to keep them in Canada if they voted to leave.
Old December 24, 2003, 21:33   #319
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
If the referendum had passed, it would have been politically impossible not to allow Quebec to separate.
Perhaps, but if the federal government decided not to let it go, then Quebec probably could not leave. The Canadian Supreme Court has ruled, in an advisory opinion, Quebec doesn't have the right to unilaterally seceed under international law, in the case of Reference re Secession of Quebec, 37 International Legal Materials 1340 (1998).

Perhaps the Federal Government is required to negotiate in good faith, but if, in the end, it decides not to allow sucession, for whatever reason, Quebec can't leave. And I think the Liberals will do whatever possible to prevent Quebec leaving, even if 50% there say yes.
Old December 24, 2003, 21:42   #320
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps, but if the federal government decided not to let it go, then Quebec probably could not leave. The Canadian Supreme Court has ruled, in an advisory opinion, Quebec doesn't have the right to unilaterally seceed under international law, in the case of Reference re Secession of Quebec, 37 International Legal Materials 1340 (1998).
If Quebec had not been granted the right to secede in the case of a referendum victory, the FLQ stuff in the 70s would look like a cakewalk in comparison.

Politically I don't think Chretien would have had any choice. This isn't the US, we can't declare war on secessionists.

Quote:
Perhaps the Federal Government is required to negotiate in good faith, but if, in the end, it decides not to allow sucession, for whatever reason, Quebec can't leave. And I think the Liberals will do whatever possible to prevent Quebec leaving, even if 50% there say yes.
I don't think they could do it. The good faith stuff is from Cretins own mouth.
Old December 24, 2003, 21:54   #321
Imran Siddiqui
staff

::shrug:: When faced with it, who knows? I mean we declared a war over it. Sure you ain't the US and you won't start a war, but who knows what pressure will be exerted.
Old December 25, 2003, 19:37   #322
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

You are an idiot aren't you? GDP Growth IS a percentage increase in GDP! I mean, really, you try to argue things and have no idea what you are arguing about. Uninformed and ignorant is no way to debate, fakeboris.
I suggest you take a look back at the link you have provided.
http://www.dec-ced.gc.ca/Complements...2003/en/2.html

There are many graphs, but none of them talks about
GDP growth as a percentage.
The graph #11 is about GDP growth in DOLLARS, not percentage points. Seems like only your blindess/inability to read a graph properly can surpass my "idocy".

Quote:
Because immigrants aren't any drain at all on services?
Immigrants are required to have a few thousand dollars when they arrive, and immigration authorities are likely to reject a candidate with less than an university diploma.
Plus, most provincial social security laws apply only to someone who has lived in the province for a a year.
Most immigrants have a benefic effect on economy, and you have to consider this when calculating growth.

Quote:
Have you ever heard of an economist spoeak of GDP growth per capita? Seriously, GDP growth is the only viable measure in discussing economic growth of countries. Whether more or less people were added doesn't matter worth a damn.. because those people are also a drain on the system as they are a gain.
Absolutely. Even the link YOU provided offers a per-capita graph (graph #13). And guess what? Quebec's performance is just on par with Ontario's on this matter.
It is definitely a common occurance to see per-capita calculations to determine "true" growth, as taking into account the number of citizens. I'll have to assume you thinking the opposite to be the consequence of your illiteracy. Many, many books use this figure to give an idea of average wealth.

Quote:
When the US economy grows by 3% and France's grows by 3%, do you ever hear anyone say, but wait, the US had more people coming in, so by GDP growth per capita France had a better year? NO! Because it is silly.
If, relative to each other's population, a country would have had more immigrants coming in than the other, we would definitely see some economists showing interest in the matter. They would compare the "quality" of the immigrants of each country. If one of them had received already wealthier immigrants, economists would surely consider this as a factor helping growth.
And if one of them had received more immigrants but of poorer "quality" (*cough* political refugees), they would also consider this fact in their explanation.

Quote:

No, it was not 50% or greater, but can you really believe in all honesty that a nation in which the separatist sentiment has varied between 40 and 60% in the last 20 years (yes, separatist sentiment has reached 60% in the beginning of the 90s) will NEVER secede? This would be prematurate at best.
So prematurate, in fact, that most separatists would be glad to see this opinion shared by federalists. Just to benefit from their reduced political efforts.

As for the Supreme Court ruling? The former judge in chief himself has restated that the ruling was an opinion and had no executional power.
-Also please consider that a right to a nation to have its own country is recognized by the UN, and that Canada has signed the vast majority of its charters.
-In fact, the federal government has recognized Timor, and supported most plans for Palestinian independance. They would be hard pressed not to do the same for Quebec.
-French president Mitterand was willing to recognize Quebec's indepedance. Chirac's position is unclear.
-Know that in any case Quebec's premier, Parizeau, was willing to secede unilaterally if Canada was unwilling to discuss. Canada, the champion of human rights, sending the army in Quebec?
-Also know that there are some French-Canadian only units in the army. Many of those soldiers, according to a sergeant I spoke too, would not have followed such orders from the federal.

I could go on for hours. Since the international press seldom echoes ongoings from provincial politics, I suggest you recognize your knowledge of the topic cannot be sufficient to discuss it on the level you are bringing it.

For now, I will admit my wrong in introducing it, and apologize for being rude in my previous statements.
Old December 25, 2003, 19:41   #323
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Are we still paying attention to fakeboris? I forget these things so easily.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 25, 2003, 19:57   #324
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
::shrug:: When faced with it, who knows? I mean we declared a war over it. Sure you ain't the US and you won't start a war, but who knows what pressure will be exerted.
None, it's not the Canadian way.
Old December 25, 2003, 20:15   #325
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
There are many graphs, but none of them talks about
GDP growth as a percentage.
The graph #11 is about GDP growth in DOLLARS, not percentage points.

Look at the DIFFERENCE in GDP from 1981 to 2001. Can you not see the differences in how they rise?! That is your percentage growth! DUH!

Quote:
And guess what? Quebec's performance is just on par with Ontario's on this matter.
Compare it with the rest of Canada. I never said Ontario was an economic juggernaut either.

Quote:
If, relative to each other's population, a country would have had more immigrants coming in than the other, we would definitely see some economists showing interest in the matter.
Not really. Immigration helps and hurts! For example, US immigration is not just the people that have good degrees... we get plenty of illegal immigrants that don't have many skills.

Quote:
Also please consider that a right to a nation to have its own country is recognized by the UN
Um... no. That's what the ruling was about. A nation has the right to its own country if it is being oppressed under current occupation.
Old December 26, 2003, 17:21   #326
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

Look at the DIFFERENCE in GDP from 1981 to 2001. Can you not see the differences in how they rise?! That is your percentage growth! DUH!
Please, Imran.

I saw that the rise was higher, in DOLLARS of course.

But so was the population increase!!!
Why do you think the document gives something like 5 demographic tables before talking economy? Because they want to show the importance of higher immigration to Ontario's economy!
And their conclusion with the last graph: more GDP true, but individually the wealth of the Ontarian inhabitant has not increased more than the wealth of the Quebecer citizen. Figures for 1961 to 2001 are similar.
And you know what? Quebec was anything BUT a Welfare state before the 60s. And it was poor. We got richer because we needed some laws to protect ourselves against tycoons. And what did the tycoons do? They bribed the police to beat every striker the province had. They wanted us to be the unskilled part of their businesses, just like they are doing to the third world. We said no in 1961. Trust me, we have had the "benefit" of the most bigoted Catholic right-wingers before, and no one in Quebec fvcking wants them back! NEVER!

Is that so hard to understand? Now back to less literature and more bread.

Even if some guy came in and created 6,000$ of wealth a year, that would show up as GDP growth in this graph. This is why what counts the most is PER CAPITA increase!!! Because having plenty of people who create 6,000$ a year is NOT enriching your country, while having few that produces more is, of course.

Now, of course the 6,000$ statement is gross and over-simplified, but it is used to show the importance of GDP per inhabitant as a statistic.

And as for Ontario: Alberta and Ontario are the economic powerhouse of Canada. But Alberta has only risen in the 90s mostly, so in fact comparing to Quebec to Ontario is more than fair, especially since the graph starts in 1981.
In fact, Ontario is much richer than the Canadian average.
Look at graph 12: Ontario's part in the Canadian economy has risen between 1981 and 2001 (first because its population increased faster, and then because it still managed to have a decent per-capita growth). It beat the Canadian average. And you claim it would be more appropriate to compare Quebec with the Canadian average!
So be it. The stats would favor me even more

As an interesting sidenote, did you know Canadian economic growth has surpassed the American one in the last 10 years?

My stance has always been: there can be very decent economic growth while at the same having more welfare than in the US. How many poor are you willing to sacrifice for these few points of GDP increase?
Old December 26, 2003, 18:38   #327
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Ned:

When I complain against US corporations, I do the same for European, Japanese and Canadian ones. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the nationality of a corporation has anything to do with its behaviour. They're just all the same.

JohnT:

I find it funny that you are too busy to explain your views. So be it.
I can resume my point of view: Corporations are an extension to an individual, aimed at fulfilling its right to profit from his work. In such, their political rights only exist by those the individuals are willing to give them. Of course, things are not evolving this way, because Corporations can use political donations or outright bribery to influence politicians. Media trusts can use their even more dangerous influence to manipulate the masses.
Corporations (especially public ones) have become meta-citizens with an "artificially gained political influence" whose sole political goal is to gain profit (because the only thing that can unite so much shareholders together is money), and quite powerful at that because of the big cash they already hold.
Because of this, we are becoming more and more a "Corporocracy" and less of a Democracy. Corporations are buying the public place: advertisements everywhere, even in SCHOOLS. A single message everywhere: prosperity. Get rich. Hell, Imran can claim such things as having children working in sweatshop ALTRUISTIC, while accusing me of EGOISM because I'd like them to go to school instead. Thus, the assumption that school is there to make us economical tools rather than informed citizens is becoming more and more widespread. How many go to school for Plato, compared to those who go for the cash they'll get in the future?
The "economical tool" citizen is alienating himself in his work, because its aim is money, not personal fullfilment of his dignity. In the Western world, we have a compromise on this: alienating jobs, but decent working hours and wages to do other stuff on your free time. Like? Buying goods. Over-consumption is a symptom of this alienation.
And this same citizen, out of resentment, would like others to alienate themselves the same way he does. You better be productive, because I AM! Sounds like it may be your case.

I am over-simplfying here for sure. But let's see prosperity as a tool helping a greater goal, not as a circular, forever unending objective.
My basic point: "un-poverty" is preferable to "wealth".
This is the thinking behind Social-Democracy. And the Corporations won't agree for sure.
Instead of letting them dictate economic policies, let's intervene ourselves. It's ridiculous to think that gradual, pragmatic rulings in favor of social protection will prevent economic growth. It will just make it more acceptable and fair to everyone.
Old December 26, 2003, 20:14   #328
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I find it funny that you are too busy to explain your views. So be it.
Too busy and too bored. I used to go 'round and 'round on these debates more than a decade ago when I was in school myself. Out of all the talk, debate, and near-fistfights I learned two things:

1. People believe what they want to believe for whatever reason they want to believe it.

2. That's a good thing.

It's Christmas week and I've put in 60 hours since last Friday... do you really think I have the time or the inclination to bandy semantics, parse phrases, and reference musty old tomes that have little to do with the world today or the way people behave? Not really.
Old December 26, 2003, 21:33   #329
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

1. People believe what they want to believe for whatever reason they want to believe it.
I don't. I want facts, facts, facts, and then arguments. I have changed my views so often in the few years of my high level studies that I really don't believe in anything, apart using politics to ease some people's suffering.

You don't want to enrich myself with your views? All right. It might be to my benefit anyway.
Old December 26, 2003, 21:36   #330
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Honestly, Oncle. Let me ask you a question: what could I or anyone say that would make you change your mind?