Old December 20, 2003, 23:09   #1
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 09:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Package Content?
What is the difference in content between the original Civ3, Civ3 GotY, and Civ3 Gold? I know Gold includes PtW, but do any of them include charts or anything else besides mod and patch differences?
Old December 20, 2003, 23:33   #2
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 08:57
Civ3 has most definitely been the most confusing "Which pack to get" game I've ever met.

There is:
Civ3, the basic, unaltered, original, vanilla, no-ptw, no-c3c, game.
Civ3 deluxe edition or something, that was released at the same time as the original game, and is the original game, except with a nicer manual and a nice wall poster of the techs IIRC.
Civ3 ptw, which is Play the World.
Civ3 Goty, which is original civ3 and then something else (not PTW, but I can't remember what.)
Civ3 C3C, which is Conquests.
Civ3 Gold, which includes Civ3 + PtW, but is WORTHLESS because Civ3 can be found for $10 plus Conquests which can be found for $10. (Conquests includes ALL the stuff from PtW as well as itself.)

I might have Gold and Goty mixed up, and maybe GotY had something more than just civ, and maybe the bigger-manual/nice-poster original release version was called something else. AFAIK, your best bet would be Civ3 + Conquests (which are both available from pretty links on the top of this page)
Old December 21, 2003, 04:27   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:57

most...confusing...released...game...ever!
Old December 21, 2003, 22:27   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:57
't is indeed, last week I saw a copy that was Civ3 vanilla but with a different layout. It didn't mention anything else (PTW/GOTY/GOLD.....) and was on sail for about 40$/€
Old December 22, 2003, 01:25   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:57
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell

Civ3 deluxe edition or something, that was released at the same time as the original game, and is the original game, except with a nicer manual and a nice wall poster of the techs IIRC.
Civ3 Goty, which is original civ3 and then something else (not PTW, but I can't remember what.)
Not quite....

Quote:
(The) Game of the Year Edition includes:

- Civilization III

- Civilization III Editor

- Excerpts from the Civilization III Strategy Guide by Prima

- Making of Civilization III video
IOW Do NOT BOTHER with this!

From memory the Deluxe Edition had the Making of... Video, a techtree poster and came in a tin instead of a box. I have yet to see a post by someone who bought that and didn't feel ripped off. They spent a lot more money for only cosmetic reasons.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 22, 2003, 02:23   #6
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 09:57
Last I checked, Amazon had the Gold version for about $5 less than vanilla or GotY. Appearantly they're as confused as anyone else.

I like having the real manual and I liked the tech tree poster that came with Civ II, but given the development strategy used by Firaxis, these things become obsolete by the time they come back from the printer, much less ship out to the customer.

Where is vanilla available for $10? Random bargain bins? Best Buy has it for $23 this week, the best I can find. I already have everything, I'm just looking for a last minute gift for my little bro.