Old December 22, 2003, 14:29   #1
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 15:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Stupid AI declares war....
The AI, before it declares war on another country, should take into consideration the military forces of the targeted civ. For example, I had about 60 Cavalry and the Celts still had Pikeman and they declared war on me...This is not realistic. They should be afraid of me instead and do as I say.
Just like if Congo declared war on the US today....

They should add this in the next patch.

Spec.
Old December 22, 2003, 14:33   #2
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:00
maybe the AI's anger at your actions clouded their judgement...

Iraq should not have provoked USA...no contest their either.
Old December 22, 2003, 14:59   #3
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 10:00
If the ai craves a resource you have that it doesn't it may decide to go to war. Even if you have a larger military they will try to take from you by force especially if you are dominating the game.
Old December 22, 2003, 15:08   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:00
the ai is not realistic in any fashion.

The ai only declares war on you to annoy you and cause you to divert your production.

basically the game is you against everyone. Even if that one civ gets wiped out, they may delay you long enough for another civ to surpass you in power.
Old December 22, 2003, 15:18   #5
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
the ai is not realistic in any fashion.

The ai only declares war on you to annoy you and cause you to divert your production.

basically the game is you against everyone. Even if that one civ gets wiped out, they may delay you long enough for another civ to surpass you in power.
good point. Never saw it that way. Anyone here declared war to every 24 civs at the sametime just for the fun of it?

Spec.
Old December 22, 2003, 15:32   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Being unwise strategically is not the same as foolish. Some factors cannot be dismissed, such as the need for land or resources.
An extreme case occurred in a civIII game long ago. I was playing conquest and had them down to 1 city and it 2048. They declared war. This is both foolish and necessary at the same time.
They could not win, but they lose anyway, so the only play for them was to take a shot.
Old December 22, 2003, 16:06   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Spec

good point. Never saw it that way. Anyone here declared war to every 24 civs at the sametime just for the fun of it?

Spec.
In the Napoleon scenario I found myself at war with every civilization at a few points in that scenario. I fended them all off . Wasn't easy though.
Old December 22, 2003, 16:36   #8
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 16:00
Quote:
They could not win, but they lose anyway, so the only play for them was to take a shot.
This is it. Assume the AI wants to win. It's trailing in score and the only chance it has is to take you down. It's effort may be pathetic but you are going to win anyway. It's very realistic as it would be what you did in the same position.
Old December 22, 2003, 16:55   #9
Spec
Emperor

The Ai could wait to get nationalism to get riflemen. It could also wait and try to get the UN for a diplomatic win. Many scenarios are possible (and probably better imo) than sending your troops on suicide missions and putting your cities in harms way. Suicide is never the best option.....unless a bear is running after you to mate with you and there's no way to evade it.

Spec.
Old December 22, 2003, 17:20   #10
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 09:00
If an AI didn't have any Horse, and you had all the Horses, if it's desperate enough it will probably make a run for the Horses (even suicidal, who knows?).
Old December 22, 2003, 19:37   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Spec you have to accept that the AI is not super deep and will not make the optimal moves or even reasonable ones. It will at times do bad things. Cascade logic will lead the AI to dead ends some of the time.
Old December 22, 2003, 20:50   #12
Saak
Settler

Actually, I've noticed the AI sometimes uses war as a way to rid itself of weak units, rather then disbanding or upgrading. I've had my infantry defending cities from spearman and archers before and I knew the AI had equal tech to me... They'll send a swath of these ancient units and thats the last I'll see of any attack.

Entirely possible there's something else going on there, but I get the feeling the AI actually uses war to control their unit costs...
Old December 22, 2003, 21:54   #13
Xorbon
Prince

Quote:
This is it. Assume the AI wants to win. It's trailing in score and the only chance it has is to take you down. It's effort may be pathetic but you are going to win anyway. It's very realistic as it would be what you did in the same position.
No. I'd quit and start a new game.
Old December 22, 2003, 23:41   #14
Zevico
Prince

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Actually, I've noticed the AI sometimes uses war as a way to rid itself of weak units, rather then disbanding or upgrading. I've had my infantry defending cities from spearman and archers before and I knew the AI had equal tech to me... They'll send a swath of these ancient units and thats the last I'll see of any attack.

Entirely possible there's something else going on there, but I get the feeling the AI actually uses war to control their unit costs...
Unfortunately not. They really are just that bad--I have wiped out whole ancient armies with a few Cavalry in moments; I figured this would be a supplementary force at most. It was actually the whole army of the AI I was attacking.

Quote:
If an AI didn't have any Horse, and you had all the Horses, if it's desperate enough it will probably make a run for the Horses (even suicidal, who knows?).
This is actually quite logical and good for an attacking AI, if that AI has sufficient numbers of units to hold off your initial all out assault. If it does, then it has gained a powerful (though not vital) strategic resource, with which it can afterwards hold its own properly against you (assuming it has a similar number of cities, to allow for it holding it out in a long term war).

Last edited by Zevico; December 23, 2003 at 00:25.
Old December 23, 2003, 01:28   #15
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Xorbon

No. I'd quit and start a new game.
How mad you would be if the AI decided to end a game of Conquests because you were getting so far ahead???? I know... a little silly, but how mad would you be?

Good thing these animated leaderheads to retain the knowledge of your past history and actions!
Old December 23, 2003, 14:08   #16
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 10:00
The Celts are aggressive, so they would rather die like warriors than kowtow to you.
and in the darkness bind them.
Old December 23, 2003, 16:14   #17
Cerbykins
Warlord

They're also supposed to be fine, honourable folk - and frankly, I found Brennus to be a backstabbing little toad

As for AI stupidity...I'm sure we've all seen it's "worst surprise attack ever"
Occasionally it is actaully surprising, but more by chance than design - and thankfully, that don't happen much anyway

If the AI ever got clever, I could wave bye-bye to my hold on Regent and advances on Monarch :P
Old December 23, 2003, 20:01   #18
LordVipper
Chieftain

AI suicide
i was playing DyP 2.1 worldmap with the greeks.I got to 1400's and i was a superpower,some turns away from tank warfare when the siux ai (second in power) asks for technology.i deny and they declare war.30 turns later i have razed all their cities and kept only their capital for the victory location.I was alied(mutual protection pack+passage) with the americans who lost most of their cities to the siux and they had 6 cities left.6 turns after the war ended they sneak atacked me with knights(while being polite to me)...Stupid stupid ai.I just hope civ4 has more realistic ai
Old December 24, 2003, 16:15   #19
Cerbykins
Warlord

Bad Shaka-laka - BOOM!
Another cute AI whoopsie

I had a new undefended city.
Zulus got in their boats, rowed over, dropped an Impi next to it.

By good fortune for me, spearman is suddenly completed.

Normally, at this point, most folks would put their impi BACK in the boat, and go home. Not Shaka. :P

Oh well, his loss...
Could have been MY loss, but even had he got the city - considering it was fairly late on and so the city wasn't so important, WHY? :P And why start a war for something he had next to no chance of keeping anyway? :P

AI...

P.S. The same Shaka repcently tried to pound a stack of kinghts parked outside his city, fortified in forest. Granted it was on his spices , but still...

First he went for archers. He hadn't the iron, so it makes sense. Then, when he couldn't get them that way, he threw impi and warriors at it too?

I can only hope the bigger Persians will be so dumb
Old December 24, 2003, 19:05   #20
Xorbon
Prince

Re: Bad Shaka-laka - BOOM!
Quote:
Originally posted by Cerbykins
Another cute AI whoopsie

I had a new undefended city.
Zulus got in their boats, rowed over, dropped an Impi next to it.

By good fortune for me, spearman is suddenly completed.

Normally, at this point, most folks would put their impi BACK in the boat, and go home. Not Shaka. :P

...yadda, yadda, yadda...
Hey, a similar thing happened to me with the Zulus, too. Except in my case, Shaka's Impi was going up against a rifleman.
Maybe Shaka's stupidity is a hardcoded trait.
Old December 24, 2003, 19:38   #21
LordVipper
Chieftain

three words: privateer attacks battleship
Old December 24, 2003, 20:48   #22
vmxa1
Deity

What I think is really stupid and annoying is the AI tells you to move your ship, while it has troops/settlers in your land?
Old December 25, 2003, 00:45   #23
Cerbykins
Warlord

And we wonder why Shaka never makes it to the Modern Era...

Another cute-sie for you
Conquest 4, middle ages. Turks wanted me out (Background - they helped me beat up on the Byzantines , just finished their bit).

Fine I say - they've been helpful - I'll do so - but I want THEM out in return.

WAR?!?!?

I'll give you war you cheeky little ...*discontinuity*...
Needless to say the Turks didn't live much longer after their 'grave insult'
Old December 25, 2003, 01:16   #24
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spec Anyone here declared war to every 24 civs at the sametime just for the fun of it?
I imagine the war wariness would shoot through the roof!
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 25, 2003, 08:13   #25
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:00
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Re: AI suicide
Quote:
Originally posted by LordVipper
i was playing DyP 2.1 worldmap with the greeks.I got to 1400's and i was a superpower,some turns away from tank warfare when the siux ai (second in power) asks for technology.i deny and they declare war.30 turns later i have razed all their cities and kept only their capital for the victory location.I was alied(mutual protection pack+passage) with the americans who lost most of their cities to the siux and they had 6 cities left.6 turns after the war ended they sneak atacked me with knights(while being polite to me)...Stupid stupid ai.I just hope civ4 has more realistic ai
Time to up the difficulty level? Then it will be YOu trying this out of desperation.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 25, 2003, 12:20   #26
LordVipper
Chieftain

nonono,i refuse to play emperor! if i want to get a heart attack there are other ways to get stressed enough
Old December 26, 2003, 00:18   #27
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by LordVipper
nonono,i refuse to play emperor! if i want to get a heart attack there are other ways to get stressed enough
Married?
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old December 29, 2003, 20:54   #28
LordVipper
Chieftain

Engaged.... soon to join the legion of the damned
Old December 29, 2003, 22:32   #29
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Better put a few guidelines in the prenup about your civ habit...
Old December 31, 2003, 04:15   #30
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
Better put a few guidelines in the prenup about your civ habit...