Old December 23, 2003, 04:01   #1
siz
Settler

Local Time: 15:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Trouble running the game
After installing Conquests i try to run the game and it shows the startup screen for about 20 secs, then it says Please insert the Civilization III: Conquests CD-ROM, select OK and restart application

I am never able to pass that screen so now I can't even play the game, I must have installed the game from scratch 3 times already.

any help would be appreciated.
Old December 23, 2003, 07:07   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:02
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well assuming your CD is legit and not so badly scratched as to be unreadable, sounds like an issue with the CD check on startup.

The best thing to do in this case is to either try to exchange the disc where you got it (assuming where you are they have some kind of Consumer Guarantees laws like in NZ), or to contact Firaxis and ask for help. If they can't find a solution for you then game companies sometimes give you a patch to skip the CD check.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 23, 2003, 10:32   #3
siz
Settler

It's a legit cd.

I just installed it on another PC at work and it runs fine. Some reason my PC at home just don't run it. Anyone else has this problem?

Update:

I finally did some forum searching on couple of various civ3 related topics and stumbled upon the atari forums. This link

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums//showthread.php?s=&threadid=330364

is what might have been giving me problems. This person has the same exact problems I got, is there another solution after reading that post I feel like my only option is the NCD patch, at least that path is the easiest and I won't have a headache. Any idea where I could get the NCD patch? Thanks again

Last edited by siz; December 23, 2003 at 11:55.
Old December 23, 2003, 12:39   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:02
Atari offers a no patch for this problem. I suspect it is a function of the hardware you have. You could use a virtual CD application as well. Good luck.
Old December 23, 2003, 12:43   #5
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:02
Do yourself a favor. Don't ask for any cracks or patches on this forum that the company (Atari/Firaxis) doesn't specifically endorse. You will face the wrath of Ming.
Old December 23, 2003, 16:38   #6
Cerbykins
Warlord

If you have two drives, and you have the CD in the OTHER drive to the one you installed from, that might throw the check off a bit. I know, it did warn in the manual, but it don't hurt to check

Also might be worth looking into if you recently added a new drive, and so have the letters moved from where they were
Old December 23, 2003, 16:52   #7
siz
Settler

Only got 1 hardrive, but it's split into 2 partitions. C and D, D is where all the space is. and D drive is where i specified civlization III and conquests to be installed. I only got 1 CD rom Drive as well. A quick question, is there anyway to check where the system registry is tied to the .exe running of civ3 conquests? for example when I click on the civilization3conquest.exe to run the game with the game in the tray. Maybe it's trying to look for the game on another drive like my C drive? if so how and what commands could I check to see where the .exe is reading the CD from. I'm thinking the registry is on the C drive trying to read the game on the CD rom using the C drive not D drive which I installed it from. Either that or I have problems with the copy protection from the legit CD?