Old December 23, 2003, 16:45   #31
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 15:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
They should go open source. (Oh, never mind that it doesn't make sense!)
Old December 23, 2003, 16:49   #32
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Downloading shows could be trying to go around cable and premium bills by DLing those shows.
And if cable didn't have so many commercials, they might actually have a valid point. As it is, though, cable is a much bigger theft then downloading a TV show will ever be.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 23, 2003, 16:52   #33
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:03
Quote:
And if cable didn't have so many commercials, they might actually have a valid point. As it is, though, cable is a much bigger theft then downloading a TV show will ever be.
There is only one response to this:
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 23, 2003, 16:54   #34
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Hence his smilie at the end, I think. A non-essential service like cable TV simply cannot be theft.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 23, 2003, 16:56   #35
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Hence his smilie at the end, I think. A non-essential service like cable TV simply cannot be theft.

-Arrian
No, I mean it. It's theft. They're robbing the poor suckers who subscribe for that crap of their money, and giving them nothing but channels they don't want and hours and hours of ****ing commercials cloging up the few programs they do want.

There was a time when cable had no commercials, and that was their justification for charging money. What happened to that?

Do It Ourselves
Old December 23, 2003, 16:59   #36
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
They're robbing the poor suckers who subscribe for that crap of their money, and giving them nothing but channels they don't want and hours and hours of ****ing commercials cloging up the few programs they do want.
How can they be robbing people when they are willingly paying money for those channels?

Quote:
There was a time when cable had no commercials, and that was their justification for charging money. What happened to that?
TV costs more know. They also need to show commericals to pay for their shows... which are much better than broadcast and I'll happily pay for it.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 23, 2003, 17:00   #37
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Osweld, that's just nuts. You don't have to pay for cable if you don't want to. It's ENTIRELY YOUR CHOICE. As such, it cannot be theft.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:02   #38
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:03
I like all 3 stars. And I like commentary, but it really isn't why I would buy a DVD. In fact I have yet to buy a tv series DVD. I may buy family guy and Sopranos. And band of brothers maybe. I meant to tape Band of Brothers from HBO, but keep forgetting. And I want to tape them in order.

I heard on the Family Guy some controversial scenes were cut I saw this at a fan site. That was the best part of the show. All the Hitler scenes were fantastic. Hitler belongs in any comedy cartoon series.

Before I buy Seinfeld I have to be assured everything is there. There is one specific episode that was never shown on NBC again and I don't think was released in syndication. It was the episode in which they burned the puerto rican flag. NBC got many, many complaints about that episode. but it was a fairly funny episode. I'd like to see it again.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:03   #39
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I heard on the Family Guy some controversial scenes were cut
Only one episode... which is now on the Vol 2 set, I think. It is still controversial, Dissident.

Quote:
There is one specific episode that was never shown on NBC again and I don't think was released in syndication. It was the episode in which they burned the puerto rican flag.
Actually, after a while, they did show it in syndication.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:04   #40
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

How can they be robbing people when they are willingly paying money for those channels?
Mere technicality.

Quote:
TV costs more know. They also need to show commericals to pay for their shows... which are much better than broadcast and I'll happily pay for it.
If it costs more, it's only because they've made it cost more. They can pay for their shows with the subsriber fees. Maybe it'll mean a few less moronic sit-coms and specialty channels, but that'd be an improvement if you ask me.

By the way, virtually everything on cable outside of the more obscure speciality channels and pay-per-view gets broadcast eventually.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 23, 2003, 17:08   #41
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Mere technicality.

Quote:
If it costs more, it's only because they've made it cost more. They can pay for their shows with the subsriber fees. Maybe it'll mean a few less moronic sit-coms and specialty channels, but that'd be an improvement if you ask me.
Subscriber fees?! So the cable bill jumps to $5/channel?!! The reason cable is relatively cheap per channel compared to subscriber fee channels is because they are packaged together as a set (so you are pay $1 or less for every channel you get on cable).

And it costs more because cable TV these days have much better shows with higher production values. Just look at 'Monk' and 'The Dead Zone' on USA. Look at 'Nip/Tuck' on FX, etc.

Quote:
By the way, virtually everything on cable outside of the more obscure speciality channels and pay-per-view gets broadcast eventually.
That is such BS. Do you even watch cable? Not a single episode of South Park was 'broadcast', and that's on a major Comedy Central. MXC has never been 'broadcast'. The Daily Show has never been 'broadcast'. All are on cable and will stay there.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:08   #42
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
Mere technicality.

Old December 23, 2003, 17:12   #43
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
So the cable bill jumps to $5/channel?!!
That would make it cheaper for me. (If I stilll subscribed to cable)

Quote:
That is such BS. Do you even watch cable? Not a single episode of South Park was 'broadcast', and that's on a major Comedy Central. MXC has never been 'broadcast'. The Daily Show has never been 'broadcast'. All are on cable and will stay there.
Every episode of Southpark has been broadcast in Canada. Possibly the Daily Show, aswell - they pick up alot of shows like that, anyways. I don't know what MXC is.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 23, 2003, 17:13   #44
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Every episode of Southpark has been broadcast in Canada. Possibly the Daily Show, aswell - they pick up alot of shows like that, anyways.
That's because your national channels buy American cable network shows... like the BBC does.

American networks don't buy cable channel shows. Why would cable networks sell it to them? They are competing against the networks!
Old December 23, 2003, 17:22   #45
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 18:03
Holy ****ing ****! Your cables have commercials?!

thank you, government regulation.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:23   #46
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Yes.

The only channels without commericals are premium channels. I'm willing to have commericals to be able to watch quality programming on cable.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:28   #47
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 09:03
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk

You're paying by viewing commercials.
So if I get up during the commercials to make a sandwich I am stealing from them?

Crud, I can hear the tv police squad division of the Mattress Tag Police coming to get me..................
Old December 23, 2003, 17:29   #48
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel

thank you, government regulation.
First that bit about ATMs not charging extra money, and now this.

How could anyone possibly call jews greedy?

Do It Ourselves
Old December 23, 2003, 17:32   #49
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
How could anyone possibly call jews greedy?
Because they won't share that with anyone else .

And doesn't Canada have free ATMs? I mean they aren't that common in US, but they exist.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:38   #50
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
I mean they aren't that common in US, but they exist.
Really? I see ATMs everywhere. Heck, looking out my window I see 9, no 12, no make that 16 of the little rascals............
Old December 23, 2003, 17:39   #51
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I see ATMs everywhere.
FREE ATMs... free is the operative word. The ones that don't charge you anything for taking money out.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:42   #52
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

And doesn't Canada have free ATMs? I mean they aren't that common in US, but they exist.
Actually, What Azazel mentioned was that they don't charge extra money for using an ATM from another bank.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 23, 2003, 17:43   #53
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:03
I use the ATM at my own bank.

It's not a good idea to use ATM's everywhere. Organized crime is now buying ATM's and collecting account number and pin numbers of thousands of people who use them. Then over a 24 hour period they withdraw millions of dollars.

ATM's can be bougth by anyone. I could buy an ATM and hook it up. And then steal people's account numbers and PIN numbers.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:45   #54
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
What Azazel mentioned was that they don't charge extra money for using an ATM from another bank.
Ah, some banks/credit unions do that. You just have to find the right one.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:46   #55
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
The ones that don't charge you anything for taking money out.
Canada must rock! If I can go to a Canadian ATM, withdraw $60 from my checking account and not have the ATM take the $60 out of my account.........

No wonder all the Liberals are heading north, it the land of free for all welfare!
Old December 23, 2003, 17:49   #56
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Charging you for taking money out and taking the money out are two different things entirely.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:49   #57
Az
Emperor

Quote:
-How could anyone possibly call jews greedy?

-Because they won't share that with anyone else.

Best laugh I had all day.

Seriously: the cable companies are screwing you over, people. It's time to fix the wrongs in your telecoms: I heard you pay for incoming calls as well.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:52   #58
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
the cable companies are screwing you over, people.
How are they screwing me over. My cable bill is lower because there are commericals. My bill is already expensive enough... I don't need it to cost more .

Quote:
It's time to fix the wrongs in your telecoms: I heard you pay for incoming calls as well
In what country? I get all my local calls for free and don't pay for incoming calls. Or do you mean cell phone users get charged minutes for incoming calls?
Old December 23, 2003, 17:54   #59
Az
Emperor

Quote:
In what country? I get all my local calls for free and don't pay for incoming calls. Or do you mean cell phone users get charged minutes for incoming calls?
Cellphones, of course. wait, is there any other kind?
Old December 23, 2003, 17:55   #60
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Cellphones, of course. wait, is there any other kind?
Yeah, those that don't have those annoying hand-held noise makers .

Land lines are the way to go. If I ain't in, then I don't need to talk to you that bad .