Promethus
Settler

Local Time: 10:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
NEVER mess with Bush property
A Federal Case for a Teenager: Family Sees Tie to Ex-President
By FOX BUTTERFIELD

Published: December 23, 2003

KENNEBUNK, Me., Dec. 18 — It was supposed to be simple, breaking into a small boatyard near here and stealing a marine radio to monitor police frequencies.

But when the two intruders, Patrick V., 14, and his accomplice, Christopher Conley, 19, spotted what they thought were video surveillance cameras, they panicked and set fire to the building, burning it down along with several boats and engines. Unknown to them, one of the boat engines belonged to former President George Bush, whose summer house is seven miles away.

Within days of the July 2002 fire, Secret Service and other federal agents were at Patrick's house here. His mother, Denise Collier, said they told her that the young men had "blown up the president's boat" in what might have been "a terrorist act." One federal firearms agent told her, Ms. Collier recalled, that the incident had raised "national security concerns."

Patrick then found himself in a highly unusual predicament. Instead of being tried in local juvenile court, he was turned over to the United States attorney's office in Portland, tried in Federal District Court and found guilty. He was given the maximum sentence allowed: 30 months incarceration, followed by 27 months of probation. He was then sent to a maximum security juvenile facility in Pennsylvania on the order of the federal Bureau of Prisons.

Patrick's family and lawyers say that the decision not to try the case in a local court, as the federal Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act normally requires, must have had something to do with its connection to the former president. But they are the only ones directly involved in the case to make this point.

Paula Silsby, the United States attorney for Maine, strongly denies this. "Absolutely not," she said.

Jean Becker, who is chief of staff for Mr. Bush in his Houston office, said he had made no effort to influence the decision to try Patrick in federal court. Any suggestion that he did "is personally offensive to him," Ms. Becker said.

[Asked whether the Secret Service had any role in the case's being turned over to the United States attorney's office, Ann Roman, a spokeswoman, said on Monday, "We do not comment on protective intelligence issues within the Secret Service."]

Because Patrick is a juvenile, his court records are sealed. His parents spoke for this article on condition that his full name not be revealed.

Ms. Silsby said Patrick's case qualified for federal jurisdiction because "this was a crime of violence — arson is a crime of violence." It also qualified because the local prosecutor had decided to turn the case over to her, she said, and "there was substantial federal interest," both because the boatyard was engaged in interstate commerce and because of the seriousness of the crime.

But Prof. Barry Feld, an expert on juvenile law at the University of Minnesota Law School, said that arson by itself did not make a juvenile crime a federal crime, not even a major fire with millions of dollars in damage. "Kids burn down expensive houses all the time and they don't get charged in federal court," Professor Feld said.

Under a federal law dating to the 1970's, juveniles are to be tried in state juvenile court except in special circumstances, said Robert Schwartz, director of the Juvenile Law Center in Philadelphia, a nonprofit law firm that represents juveniles. The attorney general of the United States or the local United States attorney must certify to the court in writing that the case meets these requirements, Mr. Schwartz said.

The first requirement is that there must be "a substantial federal interest" in the case, Mr. Schwartz said. In addition, the federal government must also show that the state court refused to take jurisdiction, or that the state did not have available programs for the juvenile or that there was a particularly serious act of violence or the involvement of guns or drugs.

What is particularly puzzling to Patrick's mother, Ms. Collier, his stepfather, Robert Mongue, and his lawyer at the time, Thomas Marjerison, is that they met with Mr. Cantara, the local prosecutor, on Oct. 30, 2002, not long after the arson, and told him that Patrick was prepared to plead guilty in juvenile court.

A few days after the meeting, Mr. Cantara informed the family that he was turning Patrick's case over to the United States attorney.

Statistics suggest how rare Patrick's situation is. In fact, almost all of the 234 juveniles confined in the federal Bureau of Prisons are American Indians, who are considered subject to federal law when they live on a reservation, or young people who committed a crime while on federal land, like a national park or military base, said Dan Dunne, a spokesman for the Bureau of Prisons.

By comparison, about 1.5 million juveniles were prosecuted in state juvenile courts last year, Professor Feld said.

From the whole of Maine, and all the other New England states — Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Connecticut — only one other juvenile is now in the custody of the federal Bureau of Prisons, Mr. Dunne said.

There are so few juveniles in the custody of the bureau that it does not even have its own juvenile prison, Mr. Dunne said. Instead, it has contracts with states, like Pennsylvania, where Patrick is being kept at the Cresson Secure Treatment Center in the central part of the state.

Cresson is for the most serious juvenile offenders in Pennsylvania who have proved disruptive in other facilities. Patrick is now housed in a wing where the other inmates are all mentally ill or mentally retarded, his mother said.

Patrick had no previous arrests before the arson, and no record of violence, and was an honors student in high school, so one question his parents have is why is he confined in a maximum security facility with emotionally or mentally troubled youngsters.

They are also concerned about the education he is receiving, which mostly consists of Patrick's volunteering to tutor the other boys in reading or arithmetic, Ms. Collier said.

Federal law requires that juveniles convicted in federal court be provided with proper education, and that "whenever possible" they should be kept in a facility "located in or near" their home. Cresson is 570 miles from his home.

Mr. Dunne said that "for reasons of privacy," he could not answer any questions about Patrick's placement or treatment.

Patrick's stepfather, Mr. Mongue, who is now serving as his lawyer, has filed an appeal of his 30-month sentence, and the federal court of appeals in Boston has agreed to hear oral arguments on Jan. 8. Patrick was also ordered to pay restitution of $728,000 with $21,000 to go to the former president.

Mr. Cantara said he had turned the case over to the United States attorney's office because "frankly, the federal government has more resources than we do, and this was a thin case that was going to be very difficult."

Similarly, a transcript of the sentencing hearing on Aug. 4 this year shows that the assistant United States attorney who handled the case, George Dilworth, told the judge that his office "took the case at the request of the York County district attorney" because "at the time, the case was somewhat thin, and he thought that we would have more prosecutorial resources to put in it."

But the reports by the Maine state fire marshal's office show that investigators had solved the arson case by early September 2002. The reports show that officials knew the names of the two intruders, had recovered stolen property linking them to the boatyard fire and had testimony from friends about their involvement. In addition, on Oct. 1, 2002, Mr. Conley, the 19-year-old, confessed as part of a plea agreement and was sentenced to 57 months in prison.

"They already had all the evidence they needed," Mr. Mongue said. "This was not a thin case. I am unaware of any investigation after Mike Cantara gave Patrick to the feds."

"So the real question is why the feds were so hellbent on obtaining jurisdiction," he said. "It's difficult not to draw the conclusion that the reason was the Bush connection."
Old December 23, 2003, 12:51   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

My heart bleeds for the little thief.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 23, 2003, 13:13   #3
aaglo
King

Local Time: 18:03
My eyes bleed after reading long posts from the monitor...
Old December 23, 2003, 13:18   #4
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 15:03
Do you think us liberals are being monitored?
Old December 23, 2003, 13:21   #5
Seeker
Emperor

"Cresson is for the most serious juvenile offenders in Pennsylvania who have proved disruptive in other facilities"

I hope Patrick's mum reminds him to pack his extra-large Vaseline...they love young white rich boys in prison....
Old December 23, 2003, 13:39   #6
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:03
Quote:
they panicked and set fire to the building, burning it down along with several boats and engines.
They thought they saw cameras so they lit the place on fire?!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 23, 2003, 13:43   #7
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Man, don't cross Bush...any of the Bushes....
Old December 23, 2003, 14:44   #8
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
Man, don't cross Bush...any of the Bushes....
Or don't commit the crime of trespass/burglary, arson, etc.
Old December 23, 2003, 14:50   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
But when the two intruders, Patrick V., 14, and his accomplice, Christopher Conley, 19, spotted what they thought were video surveillance cameras, they panicked and set fire to the building, burning it down along with several boats and engines.
2.5 years sounds a bit much, but this isn't exactly a minor prank. They burned the ****ing place down.

I'm short on sympathy for 'em.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 23, 2003, 16:25   #10
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

2.5 years a bit much for arson? Not at all.
Old December 23, 2003, 16:28   #11
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

If the statistics cited in the news report are correct, very few offenders are treated with such aggressive prosecution and sentencing. So the question is why.

Sure, punish them within the same parameters that other kids gets for the same offense. Burning down a building is not a small offense, the article claims the punishment is much harsher than standard.
Old December 23, 2003, 16:29   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

For a 14 year old, when the arson was on a boat dock (no one injured)? Yeah, I think it might be a tad harsh. Notice "think" and "might" because I'm not sure of my position (I could be swayed by a good argument).

Or did I miss some sarcasm?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 23, 2003, 16:51   #13
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Whaleboy
yes, so you better stop posting here
Old December 23, 2003, 17:00   #14
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
For a 14 year old, when the arson was on a boat dock (no one injured)? Yeah, I think it might be a tad harsh. Notice "think" and "might" because I'm not sure of my position (I could be swayed by a good argument).

Or did I miss some sarcasm?

-Arrian
Well they made out good in the plea agreement considering that the alternate penalty to 57 months in jail was to be forced to french kiss Barbara Bush.
Old December 23, 2003, 17:36   #15
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 09:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
they panicked and set fire to the building, burning it down along with several boats and engines.
They thought they saw cameras so they lit the place on fire?!
I think its simply an example of Darwin's Law at work. Idiots that think their being monitored and burn down Presidential property are taken out of society to prevent them from contaminating others with their inferior decision making skills.
Old December 23, 2003, 18:15   #16
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 07:03
I tried to work up some sympathy for this kid. I tried, and after a good four or five seconds, I just couldn't, so I decided, **** it, the kid is lucky the sentence wasn't more severe than 30 months.

However, the Feds really have no business sticking themselves into this case, so the kid should be transferred back to a state facility to serve out the remainder of his time.
Old December 23, 2003, 18:31   #17
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

The local prosecutor punted, for whatever reason, let the parents take it up with him. Locally, here in texas, Burglary and arson would likely get you much more than 30 months. He probably would have been in until he was 21, or longer.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old December 24, 2003, 01:27   #18
Promethus
Settler

Under a federal law dating to the 1970's, juveniles are to be tried in state juvenile court except in special circumstances, said Robert Schwartz, director of the Juvenile Law Center in Philadelphia, a nonprofit law firm that represents juveniles. The attorney general of the United States or the local United States attorney must certify to the court in writing that the case meets these requirements, Mr. Schwartz said.

The first requirement is that there must be "a substantial federal interest" in the case, Mr. Schwartz said. In addition, the federal government must also show that the state court refused to take jurisdiction, or that the state did not have available programs for the juvenile or that there was a particularly serious act of violence or the involvement of guns or drugs.

1. The first requirement is that there must be "a substantial federal interest" in the case. So what was the "substantial" federal interest?

2. In addition, the federal government must also show that the state court refused to take jurisdiction. They did but they gave it up to the feds.

3. or that the state did not have available programs for the juvenile. They do.

4. or that there was a particularly serious act of violence or the involvement of guns or drugs. No violence, guns or drugs. Only property damage.

The feds had no case reason for taking this case.

And ya the kid should do time but not like this.

And I guess all you people casting stones never did anything stupid when you were young.
Old December 24, 2003, 01:37   #19
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

whew...I thought I was the only one thinking there was something wrong with this case.
Old December 24, 2003, 01:43   #20
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
I tried to work up some sympathy for this kid. I tried,...
You're a better man than I. I couldn't have been arsed to do even that.
Old December 24, 2003, 01:50   #21
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Quote:
The local prosecutor punted, for whatever reason, let the parents take it up with him. Locally, here in texas, Burglary and arson would likely get you much more than 30 months. He probably would have been in until he was 21, or longer.
He can be happy, the Bushies didn't get him there, then

he's 14, so come on. Putting him in prison for 2 1/2 years isn't likely to help him becoming a valuable member of society, is it? Give him 6 months so he can see what's awaiting him if he repeats this kind of bullshit and let him work in a hospital where fire victims are taken care of.
Old December 24, 2003, 02:13   #22
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

30 months for torching someone's business? That isn't harsh, and he should get another 30 months for stupidity! If they had just left the place when they saw the cameras they would have gotten a slap on the wrist...
Old December 24, 2003, 02:15   #23
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

lock em up. Arson is no laughing matter.
Old December 24, 2003, 03:13   #24
Vince278
King

Am I the only one that thought the topic was about something else before reading it?
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 24, 2003, 03:29   #25
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

good riddance! Have fun getting anally invaded, dipshit

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 24, 2003, 03:46   #26
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I tried to work up some sympathy for this kid. I tried, and after a good four or five seconds, I just couldn't, so I decided, **** it, the kid is lucky the sentence wasn't more severe than 30 months.
See how your liberal side wasted 4 or 5 seconds?
Old December 24, 2003, 05:11   #27
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Whaleboy
Do you think you are actually that important?
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 24, 2003, 05:39   #28
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

Do you think you are actually that important?
Now, when you see Miami police arresting grannies or the Canadian RCMP infiltrating bingo clubs, you might even ask yourself this.

I'd like it to be funny.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old December 28, 2003, 23:59   #29
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:03
Do you think liberal pussies are lickinhg this l,ittle theif;s crank?
Old December 29, 2003, 00:08   #30
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

That kid should be sterilized.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand