Old December 23, 2003, 15:07   #1
Pablostuka
Spanish CiversCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 17:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
MARRUECOS - Final version available!
Enjoy with my last multiplayer scenario, about a fictional war between Morocco and Spain in the year 2005

SCENARIO FILES

SOUND FILES 1

SOUND FILES 2

Quote:
Today, in an unpredicatble movement, Morocco has launched an attack against Spain in order to conquer the twin cities of Ceuta and Melilla and the Canary Islands.

Spain has received public support from some NATO and EU countries, but both France and USA, who have strong interests in Morroco, have stopped any help from the International Organizations.

In this war, Spain fights again on her own.

The Spanish army, however far superior than the Morocco's, has been caught asleep, and Morocco can count the surprise factor on her side.

Will be that enough to defeat Spain?

This is the fictional story of a war between Morroco and Spain. Let's the dogs of war decide the future of the last's Spanish land in Africa's soil!
And enjoy with this set of extra files!

EXTRA FILES

Last edited by Pablostuka; December 23, 2003 at 16:14.
Old December 23, 2003, 15:08   #2
Pablostuka
Prince

I want to thank...

...to JAPR for his awesome map and concepts.

...to fairline, jim panse, tanelorn, Dannyevilcat, Curt Sibling, Allard HS, Goingonit, Catfish and Case for their awesome unit graphics that I modified.

...to yaroslav for his awesome texts for the intro and events.

...to Sarsstock for his awesome Title graphic.

...to Exile for his awesome terrain graphics.

...to Captain Nemo and Erwan for their awesome city graphics that I modified.

...to jim panse, academia, yaroslav, Nilat Bolshevik, FiGu and Darius for their playtests.

...to ZarD and ZarD's brother for info about the Spanish armed forces.

...to the Foro Militar General for their assistance about military topics.

...and to everyone for their suport and feedback.

*If I forgot someone, please let me know *

Dedicated to Elucidus and the Creative Design Group forums

Pablostuka
Old December 23, 2003, 15:09   #3
Pablostuka
Prince

GENERAL INFORMATION:

Transport aircraft: Load units inside them like you usually do with naval transports (sleep command). Once the units are loaded, press the 'p' (paradrop command) key, and select the target where you want to land the transport. Once the transport has landed, just unload )awake) the units like you usually do with naval transports.

*CAUTION: Use air transports only between cities or airbases. DON'T land in open terrain, or the plane will crash.

SAMS: Use them to protect your cities from air attacks. These units can attack air units in flight.

Exocet missile: Very useful for the Moroccan player to attack Spanish ships. Use them wisely.

Civilian population city improvement: It's the City Walls improvement. If a city lacks of it, please RUSH build it. It prevents cities for being razed.

HINTS:

Attack cities with artillery and self propelled howitzers.

Use tanks only in the open terrain, or when you are sure there aren't strong units inside cities.

Don't attack a city with airplanes if you aren't sure there aren't SAMs protecting it. Your planes may be shot down.

SIDE NOTES:

Unit's aren't buildable. Every turn is a day, so you have to fight with the current units you have at the start of the game.
Old December 24, 2003, 05:23   #4
Eivind IV
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Finally! Great job, Pablo!

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!
Old December 24, 2003, 10:21   #5
Pablostuka
Prince

Thanks

Here are some in-game screenshots:

CANARY ISLANDS

RABAT AND SURROUNDINGS

CADIZ AND SURROUNDINGS

And the Units.gif file
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	units.gif
Views:	153
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	60324  
Old December 24, 2003, 13:23   #6
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

Local Time: 16:04
LOOKS GREAT!

DL-ing right now, an excellent Xmas gift for the community!

Well done, Pablostuka!
Old December 24, 2003, 15:23   #7
Pablostuka
Prince

Thanks, and Merry Christmas for you all
Old December 25, 2003, 14:44   #8
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 07:04
Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
Just a question: Wouldn't Morocco have ships already deployed in an "exercise" if they were about to invade and have troops already encroaching on the border, waiting for the order to invade?
Old December 25, 2003, 15:58   #9
curtsibling
staff

Well, just imagine they are in port, as to not arouse any alarm.

This invasion is high-stakes after-all!
Old December 25, 2003, 16:56   #10
Pablostuka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by POTUS
Just a question: Wouldn't Morocco have ships already deployed in an "exercise" if they were about to invade and have troops already encroaching on the border, waiting for the order to invade?
Well, the Moroccan fleet is not in their bases, but they aren't too much close to the Spanish cities. Why? Because if these ships were too close to the Canary islands or the other Spanish cities, we (the Spanish) had expected the attack, and we would attack first

The Moroccans are mobilised, but not too close to be suspicious, you know what I mean?
Old December 25, 2003, 20:01   #11
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
Ok. But I still think that Morocco would launch an amphibious exercise to coincide with the invasion of the Canary Islands.
Old December 25, 2003, 20:11   #12
curtsibling
staff

Well, perhaps the Morrocan commanders didn't synchronise their watches!
Old December 26, 2003, 14:52   #13
POTUS
Prince

or their calenders.
Old December 26, 2003, 18:41   #14
Pablostuka
Prince

Well...to enjoy the scenario, it has to be played in a PBEM betrween 2 players. The AI doesn't know how to use the units

Anyone interested?
Old December 26, 2003, 22:29   #15
POTUS
Prince

Check the PBEM section, there already is one.
Old December 26, 2003, 23:50   #16
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Wow, this is a terrific scenario Pablostuka! Congratulations.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old December 27, 2003, 08:16   #17
Pablostuka
Prince

@POTUS: Ok, thanks. Interesting one. Let's see who wins

@Case: Thanks!
Old December 27, 2003, 08:22   #18
curtsibling
staff

Stried this epic today.

Seriously good stuff!
Old December 28, 2003, 20:54   #19
Art of War
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 09:04
Two things that could be corrected in the scenario...

1) The AV-8B Harrier should be the EAV-8B Matador....it is the spanish version of the harrier.

2) Wouldn't the US be forced to help...especially with Spain's support in Gulf War 2 of 2003?
Old December 28, 2003, 22:22   #20
POTUS
Prince

Well, as far as I know, the war is very unpopular in Spain, and according to the New York Times, a very leftist party (can't remember the name) will almost certainly win the next election. So, say that they took Spain out of Iraq, and in revenge, Gephardt is using this as an opportunity to get revenge on Spain, and get some new contracts for the US.
Old December 29, 2003, 00:00   #21
Art of War
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 09:04
it'll be bush again...
Old December 29, 2003, 00:21   #22
POTUS
Prince

Not if I can help it.
Old December 29, 2003, 01:10   #23
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Pablostuka, here are a couple of sugestions:

1) limit the amount of stuff helicopters and transport aircraft can carry to one unit or reduce the numbers present in the scenario. At the moment it's way too easy to move the entire Spanish Army across the strait of Gibraltar. For reference, a C-130 can carry a single AFV or a company of infantry and a Puma chopper can carry either a squad of infantry or a single artillery gun and it's crew. Airlifting two or three battalions per tern should be the limit of Spain's air transport capacity. BTW, AFAIK, nothing in Spain's air inventory can carry tanks - there should be a house rule requireing that these be moved by sea.

2) On the topic of the entire Spanish Army, are you sure that it all needs to be included in the scenario? The scenario would be more balanced if the only units opposing the Morrocans were the rapid deployment forces (the Paras, Marines and the Spanish Rapid Deployment Division). In the real world, it takes anywhere from a week to a month for 'heavy' units to be ready to move out from their barracks, and the scenario would be better if this was included - especially as you're assuming that the Morrocans achieve near total suprise.

On the topic of US involvement, any Morocan attack on Spanish territory would satisfy the terms of the NATO treaty ('an attack on one is an attack on all'). Of course, the other countries may be embarresed at helping Spain protect the last vestiges of it's empire. Given the situation between Britain and Spain over Gibraltar, Britain may also get involved on Spain's side, just to make a point about the legitimacy of having small enclaves in other countries territory [though Blair does seem to be strangely keen to surrender Gibralter to Spain]

There's a British light infantry battalion based at Gibraltar (the Royal Gibraltar Regiment) and there are usually some RN ships nearby. The 16th Air Assault Brigade could rapidly be flown in, and a battalion of Royal Marines could quickly be brought in by sea within a couple of weeks.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Last edited by Case; December 29, 2003 at 01:16.
Old December 29, 2003, 03:16   #24
POTUS
Prince

Not to be nit-picky, but also, Ceuta only has a beach 25 m long. That is the only 25 m on the island where an amphibious attack is possible. Imagine just a company entrenched to defend a 25 m strip. And with mines, it is overkill.
Old December 29, 2003, 07:34   #25
Pablostuka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
Pablostuka, here are a couple of sugestions:

1) limit the amount of stuff helicopters and transport aircraft can carry to one unit or reduce the numbers present in the scenario. At the moment it's way too easy to move the entire Spanish Army across the strait of Gibraltar. For reference, a C-130 can carry a single AFV or a company of infantry and a Puma chopper can carry either a squad of infantry or a single artillery gun and it's crew. Airlifting two or three battalions per tern should be the limit of Spain's air transport capacity. BTW, AFAIK, nothing in Spain's air inventory can carry tanks - there should be a house rule requireing that these be moved by sea.
I know. But I had to risk realism for playability. I had strong headaches due to this topic, but my playtesters and I decided to let the airplanes to carry any kind of unit.

Initially, the helicopters only carried infantry (same as now), and the airplanes only infantry or light vehicles. But the playability was reduced a lot, ad the game became very boring...

Our air inventory of CASA C.212, CASA CN-235, CASA C-295 and Lockheed C-130 Hercules doesn't let us to carry our tanks, but let's see when the Airbus A-400M arrives...

Quote:
2) On the topic of the entire Spanish Army, are you sure that it all needs to be included in the scenario? The scenario would be more balanced if the only units opposing the Morrocans were the rapid deployment forces (the Paras, Marines and the Spanish Rapid Deployment Division). In the real world, it takes anywhere from a week to a month for 'heavy' units to be ready to move out from their barracks, and the scenario would be better if this was included - especially as you're assuming that the Morrocans achieve near total suprise.
Well...I included the entire 2 armies (Spanish and Moroccan). What's the advantage to fight the entire Moroccan army with only the fast deployment units? Of course we'd win, but the I can't show you guys how looks our Armed Forces . More or less these are the numbers, and the Spanish units are in their actual bases.

It takes a few turns to mobilise them. The turns that the Moroccans need to secure the captured areas to prevent any Spanish counterattack.

Quote:
On the topic of US involvement, any Morocan attack on Spanish territory would satisfy the terms of the NATO treaty ('an attack on one is an attack on all').
That only would apply to the Canary Islands. For some weird reason Ceuta and Melilla are not under NATO protection

And the same fact: Playability. If I include NATO forces in the scen, the Moroccans won't have a chance for surviving.

I am a 100% realism guy, but I had to 'behave' in this one to satisfy the players

Quote:
There's a British light infantry battalion based at Gibraltar (the Royal Gibraltar Regiment) and there are usually some RN ships nearby. The 16th Air Assault Brigade could rapidly be flown in, and a battalion of Royal Marines could quickly be brought in by sea within a couple of weeks.
Yeah, I know. I have been in Gibraltar. I took some photos of these Tornado fighters

Aniway, I hope you enjoy the scen

And remember...it's not realism, it's playability

Last edited by Pablostuka; December 29, 2003 at 07:41.
Old December 29, 2003, 07:38   #26
Pablostuka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Art of War
Two things that could be corrected in the scenario...

1) The AV-8B Harrier should be the EAV-8B Matador....it is the spanish version of the harrier.
Actually, our Harriers are bought to the USA, and modified (improved) in Spain. I know the designation is 'Matador' (Killer) but our pilots still call them 'Harriers'.

The designation is AV-8B+ Harrier Plus 'Matador'. But too long for a Civ2 scenario

Quote:
2) Wouldn't the US be forced to help...especially with Spain's support in Gulf War 2 of 2003?
Explained above
Old December 29, 2003, 21:01   #27
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pablostuka
Well...I included the entire 2 armies (Spanish and Moroccan). What's the advantage to fight the entire Moroccan army with only the fast deployment units?
It would be both more realistic and more challanging.

Quote:
I can't show you guys how looks our Armed Forces
I can - there's a modern TO&E at: www.orbat.com/site/toe/index.html and an OOB circa 1989 at http://www.tdg.nu/resources/TOE/OOBs...es_modern.html If you're willing to fork out US $50, the current Spanish OOB is available at www.orbat.com (and it's a very nice piece of work).

Quote:
More or less these are the numbers, and the Spanish units are in their actual bases.
Yep - you've done a great job

Quote:
It takes a few turns to mobilise them. The turns that the Moroccans need to secure the captured areas to prevent any Spanish counterattack.
Good point.

Quote:
That only would apply to the Canary Islands. For some weird reason Ceuta and Melilla are not under NATO protection
How odd. I didn't know that.

Quote:
And the same fact: Playability. If I include NATO forces in the scen, the Moroccans won't have a chance for surviving.
Yeah, fair enough.

Quote:
Aniway, I hope you enjoy the scen
I most certainly am enjoying it. It's lots of fun.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:32   #28
Pablostuka
Prince

Thanks for the comments
Old December 29, 2003, 21:41   #29
POTUS
Prince

Technically, Ceuta and Melilla are colonial possesions and, therefore are not protected by NATO. However, the Canary Islands, being islands in the North Atlantic are considered island possesions, besides hosting many strategic bases for the USN and USAF.
Old December 30, 2003, 15:47   #30
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Another excellent scenario Pablostuka! My brother isn't much of a scenario fan (preferring vanilla Civ) but I managed to rope him into playing me in a game.

With only 10 turns, it's short and sweet, a definite bonus!

Any chance of a single player version also?