Old December 25, 2003, 17:47   #61
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well, if we all agree the beef is safe, then we can look forward to lower beef prices! Yah!
Old December 25, 2003, 19:15   #62
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 15:05
Quote:
Total number of deaths as a result of vCJD in the UK as of 1st December 2003 = 101, with another 36 deaths believed, but not proven beyond doubt, to be caused by vCJD.

First reported deaths (3 of them) were in 1995.

137 deaths in 9 years = 15 deaths per year on average. Nothing to start getting frantic about, but still that's fifteen more than you'd want.

Yearly deaths from vCJD increased until they reached a peak of 28 in 2000. They've been steadily falling since then - there were 16 this year.
The 'experts' started scaring people off beef in 1987, when Mad Cow Disease began getting media attention. In 1990, Professor Richard Lacey predicted (on television) that five million people in the UK were likely to die from CJD as a result of eating beef. I'm still waiting for city council wagons to come rolling by every morning (think Bubonic Plague) to cries of 'Bring out your dead.'
Old December 26, 2003, 08:23   #63
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Who put that Korea reference in my quote? I'll kill the man who implied that I live in Korea!
I went to Japan (Fukuoka ... Hehehe ... F**k) a couple of weeks ago. Kind of pricey, but at least there was soccer on TV and the Italian restaurants served half-decent red wine. Might go to Tokyo sometime if we can afford it.
Old December 26, 2003, 09:11   #64
Drake Tungsten
Deity

If you think Fukuoka was expensive, wait until you get to Tokyo.
Old December 26, 2003, 09:28   #65
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:05
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well ****, they've banned the import of US beef here. US beef is 40% of the beef consumed in Korea so that means my chances of getting an even vaguely affordable steak look pretty thin
Old December 26, 2003, 09:32   #66
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I feel your pain...
Old December 26, 2003, 10:57   #67
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Australian bulls are ****ing like crazy right now.
Old December 26, 2003, 12:46   #68
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:05
It's from a Brazilian site, but it is "spoken" in English...

http://charges.uol.com.br/vercharge....=1244&modo=som
Old December 27, 2003, 23:32   #69
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I KNEW IT!!!!
**** you, Alberta!!!
Â*
Quote:
U.S. thinks infected cow came from Canada

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Holstein diagnosed with mad cow disease may have entered the United States from the Canadian province of Alberta in 2001 with 73 other cows, an official with the U.S. Department of Agriculture said Saturday.

Ron DeHaven, the USDA's chief of veterinary medicine, said Canadian records show the herd would have entered the United States at Eastport, Idaho. The cow was part of a herd in Washington state before being sent to slaughter.

He said investigators have matched an ear tag retrieved from the sick cow at the slaughterhouse to records from a Canadian cow.

Dr. Brian Evans, chief veterinary officer with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, said Canadian and U.S. investigators differ on the cow's age.

The owner of the herd in Washington told federal authorities that the cow was 4 to 4-1/2 years old, but Canadian records show that the suspect cow from the Canadian herd was born in 1997, making it at least 6 years old, DeHaven said.

The cow that became ill had had three calves, one of which died at birth, DeHaven said.

Canadians say their cow had only two calves.

Tests to analyze the cow's DNA and determine its herd will not be known for about a week, Evans said.

"We do not have a definitive diagnosis of this particular animal," Evans added in a conference call with reporters.

In Canada's first mad cow case in a decade, an 8-year-old cow that was slaughtered in January after showing signs of illness tested positive for BSE in May. Tests in England confirmed signs of mad cow disease. Eighteen farms were quarantined, but no additional cases were discovered.

After the diagnosis, the United States banned imports of beef from Canada. The ban was partially lifted in September.

DeHaven said investigators are uncertain whether they have located the birth herd, which would allow them to test other animals. The tests for mad cow disease, also known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), cannot be done on a living animal.

"These animals were all dairy cattle and entered the U.S. only about two or two-and-a-half years ago, so most of them are still likely alive," DeHaven said.

He emphasized that the other 73 animals in the sick cow's herd would not necessarily be infected.

The brain-wasting mad cow disease is usually transmitted through contaminated feed and has an incubation period of four to five years.

Mad cow disease is linked to a similar form of the incurable and fatal brain-wasting disease in humans, called variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, or vCJD.

There have been a small number of cases of vCJD reported worldwide, primarily in the United Kingdom, in people who ate BSE-contaminated meat.

At least 100 people have died of vCJD, and outbreaks of BSE have led to large declines in beef consumption.

Mad cow disease first appeared in the United Kingdom in the mid-1980s, and millions of cattle were slaughtered.

Many nations have banned beef imports from the United States, including Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Russia, Mexico and China.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/27/mad.cow/index.html

Well, we've had a nice run with you guys as our neighbors, but sending your diseased animals across into our yard was the last straw. The bombing begins within the hour. Goodbye...
Old December 27, 2003, 23:37   #70
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 10:05
Times have changed, our kids are getting worse
They won't obey their parents they just want to fart and curse
Should we blame the government?
Or blame society?
Or should we blame the images on TV?

No! Blame Canada, blame Canada
With all thier beedy little eyes
have packed thier heads so full of lies,
blame Canada, blame Canada,
we need to form a full assault
its Canada's fault

Don't blame me for my son Stan,
he saw the darn cartoon and
now he's of to join the Klan

And my boy Eric
once had my picture on his shelf
but now when I see him he tells me to **** myself

Well? Blame Canada, blame Canada,
it seems that everythings gone wrong
since Canada came along,
blame Canada, blame Canada
They're not even a real country anyway

My son could have been a doctor or a lawyer
rich and true instead he burned up like a piggy on a barbeque
Should we blame the matches? Should we blame the fire?
Or the doctors who allowed him to expire ?

Heck no! Blame Canada, blame Canada,
with all their hockey hollabaloo
And that ***** Ann Murray too
Blame Canada, shame on Canada,
for the smut we must stuff the
trash we must stash the laughter and ****
must all be undone
we must blame them
the cause of fuss before
somebody thinks of blaming us
Old December 28, 2003, 02:17   #71
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Beat me to it.

But everyone loses with Mad Cows.
Old December 28, 2003, 03:52   #72
Mr. Harley
Prince

Please note, the US Cattleman's association has successfully defeated bans on slaughtering cattle unable to stand multiple times, including one that worked it's way through the Senate this year. Those cattle have brain tissue samples tested, which is how the case was caught. The last number I heard was 21,000 of these cattle this year. What is the value of those 21,000 low grade animals versus the cost of BSE to our exports. I believe the old saying applies - be careful what you wish for!
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old December 28, 2003, 04:01   #73
Drake Tungsten
Deity

The American cattle industry may get out of this alright, as it seems to all be Canada's fault...

Quote:
Cow's link to Canada may save beef trade

WASHINGTON - In an announcement that brought measured relief from researchers and industry experts, federal authorities said Saturday that they believed that a dairy cow infected with mad cow disease came to the United States in 2001 as part of a herd of 74 from Alberta, Canada.

The infected animal, said Dr. Ron DeHaven, chief veterinarian for the Department of Agriculture, entered the country through Eastport, Idaho, before being transported to Washington state in October 2001.

"This puts a different perspective on things," DeHaven said during a press conference Saturday. The announcement may relieve worries of U.S. consumers and members of the nation's cattle industry about mad cow disease, also known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Investigators are working to track down the other 73 cattle that came into the country with the diseased animal. But investigators emphasized that the likelihood of widespread infection among the herd was low.

"Just because this one positive animal entered the U.S. in a group of 74 animals," DeHaven said, "that does not suggest that all, or even one more, of those animals is necessarily infected with BSE. Needless to say, out of an abundance of caution, our efforts will, nevertheless, focus on tracing out every one of those animals."

Some says the fact that the animal came from outside the United States and entered the country after a 1997 law banning the use of leftover animal parts in cow feed significantly reduces the likelihood of a widespread outbreak of the disease.

"This is good news," said George Gray, executive director of the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis, which has conducted several reports on the possible spread of mad cow disease in the United States for the Agriculture Department. "It doesn't tell us that something is wrong with our system. And if the rules in place are followed, this disease shouldn't spread."

If the origin of the infected American cow is confirmed to be Canada, "it will no doubt have some pretty severe ramifications for our industry," said Rod Scarlett, executive director of Wild Rose Agricultural Producers, a farm group based in Edmonton, Alberta.

About 60 percent of Canadian beef and live cattle are exported, and the United States is by far the biggest market. Exports of cattle and beef were halted entirely for three months after a lone case of mad cow disease was discovered on a ranch in northern Alberta last May.

The United States partly opened the border in August for some cuts of beef, and the Department of Agriculture is considering lifting the ban on live cattle under 30 months old.

If U.S. and Canadian officials confirm that the sick cow in Washington state came from Canada, it might save the export market for the American beef industry because the United States could keep its disease-free status and continue trade.

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association urged foreign importers to reopen their markets to U.S. beef in light of Saturday's announcement. In a written statement, the trade group said that, if necessary, new federal regulations allow other countries to separate beef of Canadian origin from U.S. beef.

Still, Gray and others said the news also emphasized the need for stricter adherence to laws in place and the addition of new laws to further reduce the possibility of spreading the disease among animals and into humans.

"Our international systems are so integrated," said Dr. Linda Detwiler, a veterinarian who retired from the Agriculture Department in August, "that it is still very prudent for the industry and the government to look at additional safeguards for the country."

Authorities had earlier suggested that it might take weeks, even months, to track the origins of the diseased cow. DeHaven said the discovery, earlier than expected, was the result of "hard leather, shoe leather type of work," that included cooperation with herd owners, livestock dealers and market operators as well as detailed record searches between U.S. and Canadian agencies.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=...6&u_sid=958699

Looks like it's time to close the border to Canadian cattle again and actually maintatin the ban this time. They just about brought the whole U.S. beef industry to its knees.

Last edited by Drake Tungsten; December 28, 2003 at 04:16.
Old December 28, 2003, 04:07   #74
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
**** you, Alberta!!!

Well, we've had a nice run with you guys as our neighbors, but sending your diseased animals across into our yard was the last straw. The bombing begins within the hour. Goodbye...
It was a special, stealth sleeper cow. You should have listened to Ralph when he asked nicely for you to reopen the border to our cattle.

We have other cows in place, and also have stealth sleeper versions of many other animals in strategic locations spread around the United States.

You will receive our demands shortly.

PS. Since none of you could find Canada on a Map of Canada which includes the Northern States, we're those islands just to the right of Iceland. Come and get us.
Old December 28, 2003, 04:10   #75
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
PS. Since none of you could find Canada on a Map of Canada which includes the Northern States, we're those islands just to the right of Iceland. Come and get us.

Like we could ever confuse you French backstabbers with our former masters and current lapdogs...
Old December 28, 2003, 04:58   #76
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

My filet mignon tasted extra good tonight.

Went to 212 Market Street in Chattanooga. DanS recommended.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 28, 2003, 05:23   #77
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

The United States of North America. Yep. Has a nice ring to it. So does Amexica, the proposed name of a union between the United States and Mexico.

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 28, 2003, 09:37   #78
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
How about if you just remove the live animal ban which is still in place.
Oh dear.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 28, 2003, 13:26   #79
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Krazy, the ban was put in place to stop this sort of thing. Now, even if we don't put a total ban on beef/feed/cows from Canada, I doubt any rancher would take the chance of buying any.
Old December 28, 2003, 13:55   #80
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

EDIT: .
Old December 28, 2003, 14:05   #81
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

But everyone loses with Mad Cows.
Vegetarians win.

Die, meat eaters!

Do It Ourselves
Old December 28, 2003, 14:07   #82
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Better watch out; some people might start eyeing vegans.
Old December 28, 2003, 14:16   #83
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Vegetarians lose because there have been cases of this disease in them.

heres one theory about it, this one thinks it is a bacteria:
http://www.sirc.org/media/mediamay1899.html

heres another one, from a farmer there, this one talks about the evils of systemic organophosphates:
http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/17/m...pesticides.htm
Old December 28, 2003, 15:26   #84
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

It was a special, stealth sleeper cow. You should have listened to Ralph when he asked nicely for you to reopen the border to our cattle.

We have other cows in place, and also have stealth sleeper versions of many other animals in strategic locations spread around the United States.

You will receive our demands shortly.

So, all our base are belong to you?
Old December 28, 2003, 18:16   #85
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You could say that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Whoha
Krazy, the ban was put in place to stop this sort of thing. Now, even if we don't put a total ban on beef/feed/cows from Canada, I doubt any rancher would take the chance of buying any.
Thousands of cattle go/went both ways across the border. It's natural to try to find the outsiders who are the cause of the problem though. The closest we got to the origin of the mad cow up here was a shipment of 25,000 breeders that came up here from the States.

Also, it is noteworthy that Canadian records about the cow which was shipped south do not match the records of the farmer who owned your animal. Are we in fact speaking of the same animal, or were tags switched?
Old December 28, 2003, 19:08   #86
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
My filet mignon tasted extra good tonight.

Went to 212 Market Street in Chattanooga. DanS recommended.
You were in Chattanooga?? Was there a thread??? I would've driven down to meet you...
Old December 28, 2003, 20:02   #87
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Maybe that was the reason there was no thread .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 28, 2003, 20:08   #88
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Old December 29, 2003, 01:05   #89
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
You were in Chattanooga??
Yeh, for about 3 hours. Me and a couple of college friends drove in from Atlanta, saw Ruby Falls and ate some really mad cow at 212 Market Street.

My R&R was too regimented this time around.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891