View Poll Results: How many people would be at deity status if OT posts counted?
Probably not much more than there already are 1 2.13%
11-15 6 12.77%
16-20 2 4.26%
21-25 2 4.26%
26-30 1 2.13%
31-35 1 2.13%
36-40 0 0%
41-45 2 4.26%
45-50 13 27.66%
Everyone who recognizes banana as their one true deity 19 40.43%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 26, 2003, 00:02   #61
Vince278
King

Local Time: 15:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Nah, vince. MOST of the people who are deities today, would've been deities anyway.
If true then that is good to hear.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 26, 2003, 00:05   #62
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

I'd say 11-15... there'd probably be a lot more PCRs to cut down any possible upstarts But I can say this- instead of 25 people with over 6000 posts, there'd probably be closer to 55-75

----
I know I'd be more active at Apolyton (at least in the OT) and have more posts (total,... because I would have posted more) if OT posts had counted... I just don't feel like I'm working toward anything or any goal if OT posts don't count

Last edited by DarkCloud; December 26, 2003 at 00:10.
Old December 26, 2003, 00:09   #63
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
By that "logic," if one had enough PCRs, they would eventually reach a postcount even higher than that of the other dieties...
Probably true. Anyone remember that Mao achieved Deity level not once but thrice

10,208 posts or so (a few months at deity)... then 10% PCR... Then 10,018 posts (1 day at deity)... then accidental account deletion... Then 38 posts under new account... then Deity again and now somewhere around 10,208-10,600 If I remember correctly
Old December 26, 2003, 00:13   #64
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
But what counts as "contribution?"

Something like "Good idea! " will get you a +1 on any of the on topic forums, and that's not contribution at all.
Quite correct!

Seriously though, if it serves little purpose and is of dubious value then why not discard it altogether? A true measure of someone's contribution should be by its quality, not quantity.

**Still ducking**
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old December 26, 2003, 00:14   #65
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:06
Quote:
I'd say 11-15... there'd probably be a lot more PCRs to cut down any possible upstarts
SEE (whoever it was), if the listmaster says it, it must be true!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 26, 2003, 00:15   #66
DarkCloud
staff

Old December 26, 2003, 08:40   #67
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well some time warps robbed me of at least a few hundred in post count and since only a tiny fraction of my posts have ever been anywhere but the OT so I'm sure I'd be at least fairly close to Deity and bit OT posts still counted I might have done some judicious spamming to hit the limit.

But it doesn't really matter, everyone knows that what's most important is having a 1969/70 registered date, its the true mark of the hallowed vetran
Old December 26, 2003, 12:49   #68
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278
Seriously though, if it serves little purpose and is of dubious value then why not discard it altogether? A true measure of someone's contribution should be by its quality, not quantity.
That means you need the mods to look through every single post to see if they deserve a +1 in post count. It simply cannot be implemented.
Old December 26, 2003, 19:36   #69
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
That means you need the mods to look through every single post to see if they deserve a +1 in post count. It simply cannot be implemented.
Mark and Dan could just add more moderators!
Old December 26, 2003, 19:46   #70
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 10:06
There would be lots of Deities.
I would have made it ages ago. I think I only had about 500 OT posts that counted.
But since I already have a title, I doubt I'll add the deity tag to it after I reach it. It's not that big a deal.
Old December 26, 2003, 19:49   #71
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Says the Ferret King.
Well, sure. If I was a Ferret King I might have the same attitude.

Old December 26, 2003, 20:13   #72
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I agree and it wouldn't be worth the effort. I believe in quality but I also believe in just having fun as well. I hope we can all agree that the count and titles really don't matter as long as we are all enjoying ourselves.
Old December 27, 2003, 02:09   #73
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:06
I can agree with that.

/me notes DarkCloud's not so subtle bid for power
Old December 27, 2003, 13:37   #74
DarkCloud
staff

Oh noooooo...

You misunderstood me.

I don't have the time
Old December 27, 2003, 18:16   #75
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Says the Ferret King.
Well, sure. If I was a Ferret King I might have the same attitude.
I guess everyone needs to have a dream.
Old December 27, 2003, 18:25   #76
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 17:06
If OT did never count, I doubt NCO (or GT or whoever, the American sub officer) would call other people "Polytubbies who play computer games in their comfortable armchairs and have idiotic opinions about real military matters". It makes no sense if someone with 8000+ posts about computer games posts something like that, but it makes sense if 7800 of his posts were OT.
Old December 27, 2003, 19:29   #77
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 18:06
Quote:
If OT did never count, I doubt NCO (or GT or whoever, the American sub officer)

Most disrespectful post ever.
Old December 27, 2003, 19:42   #78
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

I'm sure if I gave up my Legend status I would be a diety by now or at the very least soon.
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old December 27, 2003, 21:58   #79
DarkCloud
staff

Hmm... As far as I can consider- for deities, since OT post counting stopped in 2001... I would think that the following people might have made it:

CERTAINLY rah (as he himself stated earlier in this thread...)
SOMEWHAT CERTAINnotyoueither... he's so close to the number already and I think he posts in the OT from time to time, so even if he just made 300-400 posts in the OT (which is a normal amount, then he'd be in)
SOMEWHAT CERTAIN Provost Harrison... assuming he didn't suffer any other PCRs... but he really doesn't count since he already was a Deity once.
SOMEWHAT CERTAIN panag... assuming he spammed the OT as much as he spammed other sections of the site (3000 posts needed)
LESS LIKELY End Is Forever... He pretty much only posts in the OT nowadays.
LESS LIKELY Eli- He has about 5700 now... and he might have easily be at 8000 with OT counting... and very possibly 10,000... but who knows???
LESS LIKELY Skanky Burns... another long shot.

MUCH LESS LIKELY Giancarlo/Fez... PCRs would have kept him down.
--
However, I will note that if OT posts counted, that we'd probably have a LOT more emperors! (at least 5-15 more )
Old December 27, 2003, 23:10   #80
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:06
I am much more active in the OT than in on-topic forums, yet my post count is above 5000. I would easily be deity by now if OT posts did count. I would bet that most poeple with 5500+ would be deity too.
Old December 28, 2003, 00:48   #81
Vince278
King

I guess what I'm not getting is why anyone would come to Apolyton just for the OT forum. I occasionally dabble when bored but there does seem to be alot of hard core posters who aren't much interested in Apolyton as a "Civilization Site".
Old December 28, 2003, 02:24   #82
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:06
Many came to the site because of a game (be it SMAC or Civ 3 or whatever), got bored of the game but still enjoyed the community. OT discussion is fun.
Old December 28, 2003, 23:28   #83
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:06
Now if you added in OT plus vountayr bans???

Yoy are looking at the man who helped sneak mINg (may he live forever like the Tisroc in Narnia) into his current postion....
Old December 30, 2003, 13:28   #84
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Now if you added in OT plus vountayr bans???
Then, GP, you would have 20,000 posts
Old December 30, 2003, 13:56   #85
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I might be one, or close.

But I don't understand why the "ranking" even exists. Who cares? Especially when playing in a PBEM game, posting "save to next player" over and over can really rack up the post count, whereas an intelligent post in the OTF does nothing. Bah, I say toss 'em.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 30, 2003, 14:00   #86
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

+0
Old December 30, 2003, 18:35   #87
Q Classic
Emperor

i'm fairly certain i'd be deity.
Old December 30, 2003, 18:38   #88
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
whereas an intelligent post in the OTF does nothing.

Intelligent posts in the OTF...

Old December 30, 2003, 18:38   #89
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

I'd be anyway if it wasn't for all ye PCRs
Old December 30, 2003, 19:30   #90
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boshko
But it doesn't really matter, everyone knows that what's most important is having a 1969/70 registered date, its the true mark of the hallowed vetran
The squirrel speaks the truth.

And if OT posts never counted AH would still be a chieftain.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned