Old December 24, 2003, 11:10   #1
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Time
Just an idea I would like to toss out there - how time works in the older versions of civ (and I am mostly thinking of C3C as that is what I play now) and how we can improve it.

Currently, Time jumps by in 50 year incriments, slowly reducing itself over the ages down to single years.

When I think of history - taking 6 turns to pump out a swordman, or 300 years, then 5 turns to march him to battle - 250 years - wow, that is one old dude. It is to me just so unrealistic. (Yes, it is just a game, I know, I know).

I know I can change it in the editor also. That is easy enough.

Instead, I would like to have a couple of options built into the main game instead of the editor. First, under preferences, have an option to change it from years to turns. Simple. Helps fix my sence of history.

Second, in the setup, have an option to have a speeded up game (like the accelerated production) or a slowed down game (like if you choose a huge map). Some times I have 1-2 hours to play, others I have a whole day and others I wouldn't mind spending multipe sessions. So have an option to choose how time goes by (the number of turns). This would automatically change research rates, production times, etc.

The menu can have oprions like:
- fast game (120 turns)
- quick game (230 turns)
- standard game (450 turns)
- long game (750 turns)
- I live for civ game (1000+ turns)

You eliminate accelerated production because it is built into the number of turns in the game.

Anyways, this is just some of my random musings on how time works in civ. Thanks for reading.

-GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
GodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2003, 11:57   #2
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

I know I'd like to see the Ancient times go by more slowly. Definitely bothers me that one turn is like twice the average lifespan of my citizens.
Lorizael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2003, 13:11   #3
tatterdemalion
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:06
Ideally, the number of years per turn should change for each civilization individually, depending on their technological achievements. For example, a nation that is in the industrial age should get one turn per year while a nation that is in the Stone Age should get 50 years per turn. Yes, that means the former would have 50 turns to the latter's 1 turn. It would definately help the naval movement problem (taking too long to move.)

Winston Churchill
tatterdemalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2003, 13:53   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:06
Quote:
The menu can have oprions like:
- fast game (120 turns)
- quick game (230 turns)
- standard game (450 turns)
- long game (750 turns)
- I live for civ game (1000+ turns)
good idea, but I'd adjust the numbers somewhat... I don't really think that it's possible to complete a game in under 120 turns... I mean, really, it usually takes people about 20-40 turns to conquer the world in Risk for heavens sake! and civ is 100x times as big!

But a good idea overall!
Old December 24, 2003, 14:58   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

"I live for civ" game should be 6000 turns

Seriously, I would find a game with a long ancient era fun.
Old December 24, 2003, 16:58   #6
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 10:06
A toggle with turns/years would be nice. I'm more interested in the number of turns, since the years usually do not match up with tech.
(another of those things done in CTP...)

And a toggle for advance research rate would be VERY excellent! Wasn't that in SMAC???
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
hexagonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2003, 17:02   #7
Kuciwalker
Deity

It's called "accelerated production", and it's been an option since at least C2
Old December 25, 2003, 04:10   #8
TheBirdMan
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power Democracy Game
Emperor

Location: A real Master of CTP-PBEM - together with all the others.....
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
"I live for civ" game should be 6000 turns

Seriously, I would find a game with a long ancient era fun.
So do I. And a long medieval era too is not to forget....

Problem as I see it by extending the number of turns is science - that one or two nations by luck (or maybe skill) get so much in tech-lead, that the gamer/AI is able to send in marines and tanks while the others still are fumbling around with musketteers. There is not much fun in that regardless if it is you, who have the musketteers or the marines.

A possible solution could be "gossip" spreading along traderoutes?! Any invention or tech-skill a nation is making WILL spread over time to its neighbours fx. by traderoutes. How this should be balanced giving enough incitament to go for new techs vs. sitting on your a.., waiting for the knowledge to come to you... that is the question.

Gandhi
TheBirdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2003, 19:28   #9
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Well, in the longer games you could perhaps set the tech research global rates to:

FAST
REGULAR
SLOW

I don't think that a tech-speed odometer is too much to ask for in a game
Old December 26, 2003, 15:04   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBirdMan

So do I. And a long medieval era too is not to forget....

Problem as I see it by extending the number of turns is science - that one or two nations by luck (or maybe skill) get so much in tech-lead, that the gamer/AI is able to send in marines and tanks while the others still are fumbling around with musketteers. There is not much fun in that regardless if it is you, who have the musketteers or the marines.

A possible solution could be "gossip" spreading along traderoutes?! Any invention or tech-skill a nation is making WILL spread over time to its neighbours fx. by traderoutes. How this should be balanced giving enough incitament to go for new techs vs. sitting on your a.., waiting for the knowledge to come to you... that is the question.
This "gossip" already exists. And it's a relatively trivial task to get the tech to match up with the times.
Old December 27, 2003, 14:45   #11
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

The gossip makes getting technologies that have already been acquired easier to do, doesn't actually give them to you. The advancement of science isn't always a governmentally organized things. Ideas spread.
Lorizael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2003, 06:09   #12
Rubychaser
C3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG The Horde
King

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I too likre your thinking.

The concept of years may be beyond us as the game has developed so far, and has so far to go.

As it is a turn based game, calling them turns could be a lot more realistic, and not so stressful on those 250 year old warriors just arriving at your enemies city walls.
Rubychaser is offline   Reply With Quote