Old December 25, 2003, 01:01   #1
Brutalisk
Warlord

Local Time: 15:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You call yourselves MooII players?!
I refer to those who would use "repulsive" in their racial picks.

That pick is L-A-M-E, especially in multiplayer....

-6 picks for free, lol, what a Joke!
Brutalisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2003, 01:13   #2
Iasius
Warlord

What's with the attitude?
Iasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2003, 01:29   #3
Brutalisk
Warlord

LOL, I have been reading several threads in this palce throughout time and recently the "democracy" thread had people talking of best races and mentioning ways to use negative picks.

One of the first "unwritten laws" in MOOII is "repulsive" is off limits.

Whereas most around this board seem to take great pride in race-setups which are focused on such a racial pick.

It's ludicrous in my view. All the so called "experts".

Anyhow, I'm just throwing a tandrum Merry xmas.
Old December 25, 2003, 01:31   #4
Brutalisk
Warlord

BTW, I have a website focused on two games which are in my opinion great

http://www20.brinkster.com/brutalisk/

They should appeal to people who like good strategy games.

Give them a try, they are both free to try. You can play unregged for as long as you like but unregged players have restrictions...
Old December 25, 2003, 03:28   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:07
I think you have miss read the demo game. Anyway why would you not take repulsive in an MP game? The attitude is not going to affect any humans. So it is free as you say.

In an SP game it can be used to sort of handicap yourself. No trades, no extortions and slower chances for leaders to join.
It is not pick as a means of making a better race, but rather to hinder the race a bit.

If you have atrificial agreement to not use a given trait or tactic that is fine, otherwise it is an automatic choice in an MP game.

The demo game was not about picking a "best race", it was about what the majority wanted to use for the game. Otherwise it would not have used creative at all.

Merry Xmas.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2003, 12:02   #6
Brutalisk
Warlord

Hey, I think you misinterpreted my message.

The "democracy thread" was just something that reminded me all teh talk about "best races".

Having repulsive as a negative pick is.. CHEAP. Even if you had 9 other COMPUTER opponents, let alone humans.

As I said, it was one of the first "unwritten rules" in MOOII. Apparently the skill level here isn't high enough

Damn, it's so easy to stir trouble ...
Old December 25, 2003, 18:38   #7
P-K
Warlord

HI !

I saw Brutalisk post and i think i must replay in this matter.

"I refer to those who would use "repulsive" in their racial picks. That pick is L-A-M-E, especially in multiplayer....-6 picks for free, lol, what a Joke!"

I am not a good native english speaker, so forgive me my mistakes. Heres my opinion about repulsive :

I am not sure why B calls rep a lame pick. It is a VERY good pick, and best in 1v1 games. Without it player would be forced to use low g or -food ( bit better ). Rep and -spy gives 9 points to build a powerfull race, so it is VERY needed i think.

Here is my replay about " u call urselfs ... ":

Kali league represents last moo players on earth. We have here some very good players who knows this game for years and truely mastered it. In 99 % of games all players choose rep as neg pick. U can wonder why ... but answer is simple : it is a best neg choice. No doubt for this. From my point of view ur moo knowledge and skill level must be very little if u write those kind of things here.

Come and join us at kali ( www.kali.net ) - server 246.
Lets see if u can win even one game with our players !

PK
P-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2003, 20:58   #8
Brutalisk
Warlord

Actually I need to wonder about MY english since my message hasn't got through yet.

THAT'S MY POINT PRECICELY P-K! Repulsive offers "6 free points" (!!!!), that the player would otherwise be forced to find something else. That's why it's LAME! Not stupid(!), LAME We banned the use of repulsive because it's -6 free points! I thought I made that clear in the first place

It seems we agree on the fact that it's 6 easy negative picks, but disagree on the "use it or not" issue. As I said, the very first unwritten law about MOOII was that no player would pick repulsive because it IS 6 VERY EASY negative points.

As for Kali, I've been there for years. I've been playing MOOII since the dawn of time but mostly hot-chair (yeah I know!) or with friends in private games.

The only player I still find online is "MooHelper" who I only met a couple of years ago when I went searching to see if people still played MOOII That's about the time I ran into this forum as well.

Check that URL I posted further above, I am sure if you are a strategist at heart, you will love both of those games.

Genie's Lamp:
http://www20.brinkster.com/brutalisk/

The two games homepages:

http://www.metalknights.com
http://www.starknights.com

Yes, both have been made by the same company.

Brutalisk

Last edited by Brutalisk; December 25, 2003 at 23:41.
Old December 26, 2003, 01:26   #9
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
Repulsive means that you can't trade/sign naps,etc with any ai, so you HAVE to maintain a fleet capable of defending ALL of your planets or they WILL attack you.
That is easily worth -10 in my book.

That said, I very much prefer to pick -money,-pop,-sd my self.
Whoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2003, 14:01   #10
Brutalisk
Warlord

Hi Whoha, notice that I talked about multiplayer games in specific (i.e where other human opponents are involved), even though when faced merely against AI opponents, repulsive still offers -6 picks for free!

BTW, to all those wodnering about my tone, that was just the initial post to stir some trouble, cause a reaction.
Old December 26, 2003, 16:33   #11
P-K
Warlord

Hi !

Hmm, now i see more clearly what u meant B.
U can think rep is a pick for newbies. I can even agree with u BUT : If u go this way bit ahead u will know that :
uni, cre, lith, sub, aqa, demo ... etc picks are LAME too !
In the end we could have a masochistic race of - 20 picks like feudal uncreative and play it ! Sorry dude, but it is aint fun for me !

Whoha : rep is worth not much then -4 points. Maybe even less. Definitly not a -10 !

B:"The only player I still find online is "MooHelper" who I only met a couple of years ago when I went searching to see if people still played MOOII "

4381 (the helper) doesnt know u B. Maybe he forgot, maybe other reason.

PK

PS : I am PK , not with "-"
Old December 26, 2003, 16:57   #12
Brutalisk
Warlord

He knows me, but maybe he doesn't know me as Brutalisk. Perhaps he can recall me as "TheSaint"

Proof? I was tlaking to him on ICQ a few hours ago, lol.

PK, ofcourse you wouldn't go that far, but there are some "unwritten rules" that were the norm sicne the dawn of MOOII.

The standard ones were:

- No repulsive

And the following techs not allowed:

- Time Warp Fascilitator
- Phasing Cloak
- Gyro Destabiliser even after the modification
- Stasis Field

Some would go even beyond that, but any extra rules were merely to present a different kind of challenge, whereas the ones above were necessary for a GOOD game.

Anyway, nice to see we are on the same wavelength atleast even if we don't agree

Brutalisk
Old December 26, 2003, 17:15   #13
Whoha
Emperor

yea, against people its just free points.
Old December 26, 2003, 17:37   #14
P-K
Warlord

Yes, 4381 confirmed that he knows u, B.
I know some unwritten rules of kali moo, cos i play it almoust 2 years. Somehow i ve never heard about gyro ban ! And i never used it. It does 1-4 damage x class ship. Interesting. I dunno about no repulsive rule.
Maybe after years past some rules changed on kali. Maybe ur an old vet who i dunno. I d like to meet u on kali someday, we could find a good game i think !

PK
Old December 26, 2003, 23:57   #15
Iasius
Warlord

I don't play multiplayer much, but I have played moo2 since it came out and moo1 before that and I never heard of a not-repulsive rule. Even if I did I wouldn't care, I can challenge myself in other ways, like maybe not using every point up for example, or I just want a fun, easy game.
That doesn't make it lame for me.
Iasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2003, 00:07   #16
vmxa1
Deity

Iaius the repulsive pick is only a freebie for MP players. In an SP game it is more of a hinderance than a help. YOu will not be able to trade, you will not be able to demand payment of BC or systems or tech. You will do less well wiht leaders.

It is not a conviention in any sense, it can be agreed to, but you do not see any of the old FAQ's mention fo rany MP sites.
Old December 27, 2003, 01:13   #17
Brutalisk
Warlord

Guys, if you really have been around in MOOII sicne it started and I do believe you are, it is strange that you "never(?)" run into this before when it was one of the leading "unwritten rules" for multiplayer games.

PK: oh I'd be glad to play a game with you, but at the moment I can't play MOOII because of certain "technical problems"

VMXA(?): funny but when I had first explored the multiplayer option of MOOII the "repulsive" pick and the "unification-tolerant" were the debates of the game, along with those four weapons I have mentioned above and the "deadlock" they'd create.

Time Warp Fascilitator + Phasing Cloak -> obvious
Gyro -> too strong and too early
Stasis field -> just make lots of small ships with a stasis field on them and you can beat ANY FLEET

Those were some flaws that the creators didn't anticipate at the time and were highly critiscised for.

(secondary issues included the MIRV nuke and the HEAVY ion cannon)
Old December 27, 2003, 01:26   #18
Whoha
Emperor

they got rid of heavy ion cannons,except for starbases.
Old December 27, 2003, 02:36   #19
Brutalisk
Warlord

Yes, I know and they had also introduced a better way of ship-initiative in battle. But, alarmingly it made the Emmissions Guidance System even more potent... You can destroy with that ANY ship you want (but not starbases because they don't have an "engine")

They should have removed the time-warp fascillitator and the phasing cloak as well .... Can't have everything eh?
Old December 27, 2003, 04:16   #20
vmxa1
Deity

Yes the TWF + phase cloak is something I won't use. I palyed around with a few time and banned it. Anyway the game is over by then.

If you look on the old newsgroup, you don't see any talk about rep not being allowed. If ou look at FAQ's they all list it as a given for MP, so what can I tell you.

I bought the game day 1 and I have only heard of indivuals play wiht an understanding on no Rep. I am not saying you are wrong, only it is news to me.

Since 2001 I do not recall any MP players come by and say that, not OriginalBork or anyone. That is all I can say.
Old December 27, 2003, 05:08   #21
Brutalisk
Warlord

As I said, I believe you, but I just find it strange.

It was a "given" in the games I would play since it wouldn't stop you from talking to the other players and was considered "cheap" to use it, so it was always an udnerstood agreement not to use it and "best races" never included that (hence why I started this thread in the first place)

It's great though to see some of you guys still holding the torch for this great game. It's been on my HDD ever since it first came out and the only reason i haven't played it in recent months is some computer problems I am having

Check out those two games I have "advertised" hehe. I'm a strategist at heart (both turn based and RTS) and I can tell you that you are probably going to like them
Old December 27, 2003, 14:40   #22
vmxa1
Deity

Problems with the game in the OS or general system/hardware issues?
Old December 27, 2003, 16:21   #23
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Brutalisk

Check out those two games I have "advertised" hehe. I'm a strategist at heart (both turn based and RTS) and I can tell you that you are probably going to like them
No. You are rude and I would not take water from you if I were about to die of thirst.
Capt Dizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2003, 21:39   #24
Brutalisk
Warlord

vmxa: well, a blend of problems that have piled up and probably require me to format my hdd and add a few fixes to some known hardware issues.

I've had this computer for 3+ years and in the last year or so some problems have developed... which made things rather screwy Really long story. I went for help to a forum dedicated to that.. They offered a couple of suggestions that might solve the problem but it will have to wait before I try because I need to backup everything first.

Jimmy: damn you hurt my feelings now
Old December 28, 2003, 02:19   #25
vmxa1
Deity

Brutalisk I hope it works.
Old December 28, 2003, 05:11   #26
Brutalisk
Warlord

Let's turn this back to MOOII talk

My favourite setup was always:

- Average Life Universe
- Pre-warp
- Large (galaxy size)
- Random events and antaran attacks on

Why? Well, the above setup provides the most balanced game-setup in my opinion allowing for ALL types of races to thrive.

For example, mineral rich universe or gaia abundant, favours certain races whereas the average-life universe allows both types equal opportunities

Pre-warp -> you get to shape your own empire

Large -> well, small or medium are just too crumped and favour those who start off with a great homeworld and great homeworld-picks etc whereas Huge is too big and favours expansionistic races.

That's just my view What are your favourite game-setups (and why). ?
Old December 28, 2003, 07:49   #27
P-K
Warlord

I play only 1v1. Used to play 4 ways, but now i dont play them.

Type :
Everything less then organic world really sucks. Why ? Only organic has the biggest number of planets, normal systems etc. Rich and avarage are not what they are called. By my expirience i find organic more rich in rich planets then rich itself ! Also non-organic has much more less planets and colder stars. So i think non-organic maps are useless waste of time.

Gaming:
For MP games i prefer avarage start. It gives bit boost to game and enables a creative race to win. Pre warps limites players to use less races then in avarage.

Map size :
I like medium and large maps. I just love medium early contact and quick battles. I also love large long distant games with edited = home worlds.

Races :
My favorite race is of course : uni tol prod / rep, -spy. In my opinion it is the most powerfull short, medium and long distant race. It is extremly fast and hard to overcome by non-tolerant enemy. Of course it can be beaten too, cos map is mostly unfair, but chosing this race i feel much safer to win. Its great ability to expolit riches and uriches is makin this race a no 1 of all moo races. Cyber thinks uni aqa 2 prod lr hw is better. Sometimes is. But mostly uni tol will win, by its extreme production and population space. To prove that i am not giving u just empty words i can bring a test save here from T0 to T100. I got 2 records in this save :
230 pop and 1400 rps, 250 pop and 1100 rps by T100. No uni aqa can repeat this result nor even get close to it. Even on less good planets tol can create a 120-150 pop in T100. Aqa`s best can be around 130 pop i think. I dont play it much. But i never saw in my MP games a man which done more using it.

Regards

PK
Old December 28, 2003, 13:35   #28
Whoha
Emperor

Bleh
Old December 28, 2003, 14:02   #29