Old January 10, 2004, 05:00   #61
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 18:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Before the last patch the ion cannons were pretty powerful - like some other things.
Old January 11, 2004, 09:18   #62
Brutalisk
Warlord

Local Time: 15:08
Quote:
"I remember Bork as one of the players who turned-up at my home system with a Battleship at Turn 50-odd. (Those were the days when I used to play 1 Vs 1 and when I thought "playing to win" was important.)"
Hmm, that doesn't mean that much to me. You can come up with battleships early with a good production race, BUT, it won't necessarily win you the game. Afterall, you are playing against a human opponent, so the defenses are put to better use

Speaking of which, you guys mentioned some "records" concerning the turn in which the game ended. I wanted to ask, what's the current "known" record of this forum for each map size and for each "win condition".
Brutalisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2004, 12:40   #63
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
oh also, initiative screws up the cloaking/time warp cheese, try it out.
Whoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2004, 05:47   #64
bakalov
Prince

Brutalisk, the timings for winning with different play conditions should not be measured. It is the single game that can be measured best.

P.S. And remember that you refused to play the one that I suggested :P
Old January 12, 2004, 06:34   #65
Brutalisk
Warlord

Bakalov Is there a language barrier between us?

Quote:
"Brutalisk, the timings for winning with different play conditions should not be measured. It is the single game that can be measured best."
I AM reffering to single player games!!! And I said WIN CONDITIONS. As some are faster to achieve than others.

a) Taking over by the vote of the council
b) killing everyone
c) Attacking the Antarans

Quote:
"P.S. And remember that you refused to play the one that I suggested :P"
There IS definitely a language barrier. Did you not read the part where I said I can't play MOOII at the moment because of computer problems?
Old January 12, 2004, 11:32   #66
bakalov
Prince

OK, and I talk about single player games too. The concrete one is the starting saved game of the MOO2 democracy game (there are two - the second one, because the first was wrong with tactical off), and the win condition is b) - killing everyone. It is called a "speedkill". I wonder how fast will you do it.
From one of your previous posts I understood that you refuse that challenge - or may be I've mistaken?

Of course save and load are forbidden. You may load a saved game only once, and you must exit after a save.
This cannot be verified, but a honorable player will obey it.
Old January 12, 2004, 11:59   #67
Brutalisk
Warlord

Ok, atleast now we are on the same page It takes two tries eh? The magic number.

Well, while we were talking I managed to install MOOII - the dos version.

As for speedkills and records, I asked so that I can see what people in this forum consider "good". System370 for example mentioned having a battleship on ~t50. It's possible but hardly ever truely benefitial. You can have one at around t70-80 instead and a couple more colonies in the meantime...

Personally, I tend to "secure" the game. I can secure it pretty quickly but how fast or when I move for the kill, that's a different question. That applies to both single and multi player games. But that's just me. I like torturing my victims
Old January 14, 2004, 06:27   #68
bakalov
Prince

Attacking with a modded laser battleship at t50 is a well known MP sttrategy. Its main idea is to surprise the other player when his defences are still low enough.
System 370 told that another player has used it against him. This "another player" was posting in this forum and he was one of the good players at Kali.

BTW look at the name of this thread and you'll understand why I do not like you.
You either have to PROVE that you are a better player than the rest here, or you will have to apologise. Until one of these things happen I won't change my mind.
Old January 14, 2004, 11:27   #69
Brutalisk
Warlord

Quote:
"Attacking with a modded laser battleship at t50 is a well known MP sttrategy. Its main idea is to surprise the other player when his defences are still low enough."
I got nothing against that. I think it would put the defending player in a very bad position, but usually I find that "Shield I" with a combination of some other early techs and 1-2 small ships can keep the opposing Battleship at bay.

My arguement is, that even though it's a potent tactic it's a tactic where you put too many eggs in a basket This is a forum we are just expressing opinions and personal beliefs.

Quote:
"Of course save and load are forbidden. You may load a saved game only once, and you must exit after a save.
This cannot be verified, but a honorable player will obey it."
I agree with you, I never load a game either, because I believe in that very statement myself. Once you make a decision you have to stick by it, instead of falling back at the safety net of a save. I only save the game for one purpose -> in case the computer crashes!

BTW, as for the title of my post, it worked like a charm. It created a responce and that was my intention...

As for a game, I wish I could play (but not 1v1s - I prefer more players in it), but I have to wait until I sort out a couple of grieving problems with my computer first
Old January 14, 2004, 18:13   #70
Iasius
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Brutalisk
BTW, as for the title of my post, it worked like a charm. It created a responce and that was my intention...
Great, on the BBS I just visited this is considered trolling and you'd get a warning.
Iasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2004, 19:57   #71
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
my game crashes every once in a while.
Whoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2004, 20:47   #72
da_hal
Warlord

last criticism from me:

re title: technically, the title doesn't mean anything. it doesn't mean the people here are good nor bad. it reflects brutalisk's overall bad writing and mismatch between what was written and what was meant.

re "good player": brutalisk doesn't have to prove anything. he only seems to achieve success in mp (although i have not seen any of his posts that says he plays with the kali folks, so this probably means he plays over the modem with his "expert" friends), he only plays the computer on p1 (as he has not posted anything else to the contrary) and to top it all off, his comptuer is broken so he cannot prove anything now (so i assume he is posting here through telepathy.) it is obvious (to the CAREFUL READER) what his skill level is.

in summary, the starter of this thread is without a doubt not much better than a low-level troll, with neither the brains nor experience to contribute to a meaningful discussion. While amusement factor could be a saving grace, he appears to have used the last of it making his oh-so-clever name (which, since i don't go to starcraft forums, might be incredibly common.)

summary for brutalisk: don't take it so harsh buddy. my advice is to cut your losses (stop talking out of your butt and admit you don't know everything) and try to learn something. everybody here is incredibly helpful (i ran several smacktalk workshops at other boards ) and patiently respond to all polite q's.

There's one simple rule that is true to all games: No matter what you know or how good you are, there's always someone better.
da_hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2004, 03:04   #73
Brutalisk
Warlord

Quote:
"re title: technically, the title doesn't mean anything. it doesn't mean the people here are good nor bad. it reflects brutalisk's overall bad writing and mismatch between what was written and what was meant."
The only problem the title has caused is that people got too emotional about it.

Those who would take a step back for a minute and READ CAREFULLY what I said should see that the title was all about conveying the way I feel about players who pick repulsive in their MP game picks or even in SP games.

Quote:
"re "good player": brutalisk doesn't have to prove anything. he only seems to achieve success in mp (although i have not seen any of his posts that says he plays with the kali folks, so this probably means he plays over the modem with his "expert" friends), "
I said it before that as soon as I can get a stable MOO on my computer we can have a game. Which brings me to the other comment you made:

Quote:
"and to top it all off, his comptuer is broken so he cannot prove anything now (so i assume he is posting here through telepathy.) it is obvious (to the CAREFUL READER) what his skill level is."
My computer has problems, I removed my soundcard to keep it running relatively smoothly, but many programs and particularly games such as MooII keep crashing. If you would have actually read my post before replying, which you never do and you've proved that time and time again, then I wouldn't need to keep talking about it. I am not here to analyse the problems of my computer - there are other forums to do that.

Quote:
"he only plays the computer on p1 (as he has not posted anything else to the contrary) "
What's p1? Sometimes all these abbreviations hinder communication rather than aid it. If you are lazy and don't want to type the full words so be it... lol.

Quote:
"in summary, the starter of this thread is without a doubt not much better than a low-level troll, with neither the brains nor experience to contribute to a meaningful discussion. While amusement factor could be a saving grace, he appears to have used the last of it making his oh-so-clever name (which, since i don't go to starcraft forums, might be incredibly common.) "
I checked that years ago when I had picked it. Not only it is unique and a stroke of brilliance, but also only one other player had chosen a resembling name and he was, I think eastern europian or russian It would be funny to see it as a unit in future Starcraft games.

As for the rest of your comments, here's a dime go buy a lollipop. Once my computer can handle a game without crashing I'll make an announcement to setup a fun game with hopefully, moohelper, pk, bakalov, and yourself. That's five... a good number for a fun game.

Brutalisk