Old December 25, 2003, 18:59   #1
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 10:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Gamers speak another language.
Do you understand any of these gibberish? Lets start with the most familiar gibberish for many here. Civ III.

Civ 3
Quote:
Anyway, 1) we need to get a warrior back to SAG, 2) if Thors Hammer (TH) is only singly defended, the Persian Galley could go 7-4-2 into that bay by TH and drop an archer on the mountain at TH3, which could be bad, since it would take 2 moves to get another defender in there. And is there only one warrior in Asgard? If we move him toward TH now he could get to TH or back to Asgard if the Persians dropped next to Asgard. But... but if they drop at TH3 and the Egyptians e.g., drop at Asgard 7,8, or 9, the defenses are stretched a little thin.
Soul Calibur 2
Quote:
3B+K is not a good move...full stop.

i17 bs-2 bounce on CH.

CH guarantees a 6K juggle. NO combo on normal hit.

Stomp is not good in juggles, it's good in wakeups. SO the stuff u mentioned isn't guaranteed, the stomp PROBABLY is, but it ends there, and the damage will be pathetic.
Virtua fighter
Quote:
other setups: Kage's K+G crumples, but good luck finding a way to punish the TR... you can't exit jumonji stance after it without tapping guard, which takes too long. [JM]P+K is your only starter, and followups are limited to low-to-the-ground hits. Once the opponent is backstaggered, only flop combos are useful, kage has no good float combo starters here. f+K+G is your fastest useful followup. A nice variation after the uf+KG is to do a dash kickflip rather than the d+P+K,K.
Starcraft
Quote:
12 Hatch fast expo This is where you get to 12 drones, then make your second hatch at your expansion. This is SOP against terran. If they try to take it out, just send in two drones and have them sunken down when the hatch finishes. Now standard is now loppin down a hydra den and makin a lair so you go lurks, hydras and lings against his M&Ms.
Tekken
Quote:
Also, if the walls are at a 90 degree angle, might as well do (W!) ws+4(W!), dss 3(W!), dss 4,3(or tell me why not to add on the dss 4,3)
Old December 25, 2003, 19:21   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:09
Idiots speak another language.

I don't care if you play a computer game. If you want people to understand you, you can speak in understandable terms.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 25, 2003, 19:51   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:09
The people they're talking to understand what they're talking about, and that's all they care about.
Old December 25, 2003, 19:59   #4
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Osweld is just sour cause he cant play C&C for ****.
Old December 25, 2003, 20:15   #5
Zero
King

CHess
Quote:
A Half-Open Defence appealing to the attacking player. Black replies P-QB4 to White's KP (move 1, left), risking certain pawn weaknesses to begin a Q-side counter-attack - a real fighting defence! The pawn structure dictates the nature of the game played, and main play runs to either the Dragon (eg. move 8, right) or the Richter-Rauzer. Other lines include Schevengen and Najdorf Vars., the Morra and Wing (incl. Wing Deferred) Gambits, and the Close.
Old December 25, 2003, 20:24   #6
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
The people they're talking to understand what they're talking about, and that's all they care about.
I know, the idiots can blather to themselves all they want. Just don't blather to me.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 25, 2003, 20:28   #7
Zero
King

As long as you dont claim to know **** and say something idiotic, they wont "blather" to you.
Old December 25, 2003, 20:35   #8
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
As long as you dont claim to know **** and say something idiotic, they wont "blather" to you.
Why would I speak to them in their own way, if that's what I'm trying to avoid hearing?

Do It Ourselves
Old December 25, 2003, 20:54   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 3, 2010
If what they are saying is within context, then it is perfectly understandable.
Old December 25, 2003, 21:10   #10
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

Why would I speak to them in their own way, if that's what I'm trying to avoid hearing?
you dont. you just talk like an idiot, not like one of them.
Old December 26, 2003, 00:17   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:09
It's like chess. Chess has its own unique terminology also.
Old December 26, 2003, 01:03   #12
MattH
King

It's just technical shorthand- every occupation or interest has a quick notation system. That's not necessarily stupid or idiotic.
Old December 26, 2003, 01:04   #13
MattH
King

p.s. Yes, I understood most of that
Old December 26, 2003, 01:50   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
It's like chess. Chess has its own unique terminology also.
Probably why he quoted a passage from a chess game...
Old December 26, 2003, 15:29   #15
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 16:09
If you play the games I'm sure all those make perfect sense.
Old December 26, 2003, 22:38   #16
Zero
King

Does anyone wanna take the daunting challenge of translating any of that? What is the name of the defense that is being described (for chess)?

Anyone else have their own lingo for the game they play? (Im sure EQ or other MMORPGs have it... i know D2 kinda has its own lingo)
Old December 27, 2003, 00:23   #17
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:09
The civ3 one makes (perfect) sence to me.
Quote:
Galley could go 7-4-2
Galley could go nw-w-s (or 7-4-2 on your keypad)
Old December 27, 2003, 02:06   #18
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Probably why he quoted a passage from a chess game...

Must be a different kind of chess than the one I am used to.
Old December 27, 2003, 03:16   #19
Skanky Burns

Actually reading the "Chess" passage, it sounds more like a post from a Mornington Cresent game.
Old December 27, 2003, 04:43   #20
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

Osweld speaks Troll. Move along.
Old December 27, 2003, 09:39   #21
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
Does anyone wanna take the daunting challenge of translating any of that? What is the name of the defense that is being described (for chess)?
Scandinavian Defense.

I don't see how it can become, say, the Richter-Rauzer Attack.
Old December 27, 2003, 11:25   #22
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Actually reading the "Chess" passage, it sounds more like a post from a Mornington Cresent game.
You have Mornington Crescent in OZ-land? Crazy.

Zero, I get the Civ3 stuff but all the rest is just fighting games. Sorry I don't even PLAY these games, let alone TALK about them.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 27, 2003, 12:32   #23
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 18:09
Snippets for games that play/have played make perfect sense to me. Obviously, these gamers wouldn't care if someone who has never played the game can understand that, they need other gamers to understand, which they will.

Age of Mythology:

Quote:
2 wood vills will do it for you in archaic, not 5. Don't make a second ulf, Make more vills to wood once you hit classical. I usally make 5 gold vills in archaic then make 4 dwarves and shift the vills to wood. IMO you should go bragi, forseti + bragi = uber ulfs in late game, but I'm only 1635.
Anyone who played the game will understand easily, those who haven't, don't need to.
Old December 27, 2003, 14:04   #24
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Zero, I get the Civ3 stuff but all the rest is just fighting games. Sorry I don't even PLAY these games, let alone TALK about them.
I don't even understand the Civ III lingo

I'm a civ II-er through and through
Old December 27, 2003, 14:22   #25
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

This increased prevalence of sociolectic language is a signifier of what Baudliard would call symbols that do not refer. The mediated interaction the games represent is a fertile breeding ground for "empty" discursive practice.
Old December 27, 2003, 16:09   #26
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 08:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I don't see how it can become, say, the Richter-Rauzer Attack.
Probably because it's not the Scandinavian, but the first move of the Sicilian Defence. The Scandinavian runs: 1) P-K4 P-Q4 (not P-QB4) 2) PxP N-KB3. Black goads white into trying to cling onto the extra pawn with 3) P-QB4 at the cost of white's development and initiative. Most modern players play 3) P-Q4.
Old December 27, 2003, 16:13   #27
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 07:09
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
This increased prevalence of sociolectic language is a signifier of what Baudliard would call symbols that do not refer. The mediated interaction the games represent is a fertile breeding ground for "empty" discursive practice.
Snapcase apparantly speaks pompous ass,

I understood all of it, I don't see the problem with any of it. It's just shorthand. For fighting games it's NECESSARY. No one wants to write out down to down/forward to forward plus press the left kick button to start the combo then once the other character is in the air tap forward then left punch then forward then... it's retarded not to use shorthand for that stuff.
Old December 27, 2003, 17:09   #28
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike

Snapcase apparantly speaks pompous ass,

I understood all of it, I don't see the problem with any of it. It's just shorthand. For fighting games it's NECESSARY. No one wants to write out down to down/forward to forward plus press the left kick button to start the combo then once the other character is in the air tap forward then left punch then forward then... it's retarded not to use shorthand for that stuff.
yeah fighting game is kinda given. Theyre destined to have their own language... thats why i have more fighting game example.. but lok at starcraft diablo and etc. they too have words like ias, 9pool, ling M&M and etc that will confuse n00bs and nonsocial (mostly ppl that only play single player) players to death.
Old December 27, 2003, 17:14   #29
Buck Birdseed
Emperor