Old December 26, 2003, 00:00   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Literary Analysis of Apolyton Posters
Literary Analysis of Apolyton Posters

Oh well, I’ve been reading a great deal of the New York Book Review and of Gore Vidal recently and so I thought I’d give this a whirl (apologies if I don’t really seem that connected to the recent community- it has to do with real life interfering with my Apolyton-reading times)

(Feel free to add your own literary analyses below or to comment upon my own )

[And yes... some ‘facts’ might be a bit wrong. But I was going more for humor than ‘facts’... but please point out any errors or inconsistencies and feel free to laugh along with me and suggest any further posters whom I shouldst characterize.]

Lazarus and the Gimp-

First off, I’d like to give apropos to this timeless curmudgeon. I keep coming back to his articles day after day to see what new insight he has to give into the state of man, nature, and the world.

His dry British wit gives new meaning to the phrase “world-weary traveler.” Due to his vast experiences and work as a freelance magazine author, researching information about the “Bad Popes” and “Horny Rulers of Ancient Europe” (sic-Not the right titles of his works, I know... But they lend the tone), he has established himself as one of the more well-read posters on the site.

Even though he seems to bitterly disregard the world and everything in it, he takes a quite pragmatic approach to everything- making light of the very things that would turn other peoples to severe depression.

Lazarus is a veteran flame-warrior whom many would appreciate upon their side in a brawl. His dry wit and endless sarcasm so deeply undercut other posters weaknesses and reduce them to a pile of blithering idiocy.

To end with, I would like to note that Lazarus is not merely a one-dimensional flame-warrior or “world-weary” cynicist. He has his warm side too, giving aid and accolades to those he truly respects, and generally treating all he meets with the greatest respect.

Sava

Ah, now a discussion of this Russian Literary Debate Giant. Sava is a firm believer in Russian Nationalism and the strength of the old “Evil Empire” as the Americansk prefer to refer to it. Sava presents a too-little heard version of international politics in this day and age of Amero-and Euro-centrism.

Sava’s daily diatribes and polemics leave each of us wondering about our own pre-conceived notions. He backs up his debates with extensive facts and personal experience, leading us to wonder just how well-written our nation’s histories are.

In fact, Sava’s views differ so much from the common caractitures of history that we are led to wonder whether he is correct or whether the world is mad. Now, as has been shown, history has commonly lied, and both sides of many tales have never been told. Therefore, I tell all you armchair generals- listen to Sava- what he speaks may very well be wisdom. Revel in your Marshall Zukhov’s and eternal Russian Empires- it just may have happened... And it may still yet happen.

Don’t ignore this man. One day he will be an even more prominent force in the literary field.

panag

“hello; ,, ... have a nice day.”

With those four short words and accompanying punctuation marks, panag sets a good tone for the day.

The common inanity of his messages notwithstanding, panag is an important force in the literary community. Like e.e. cummings and posters such as ghen before him, panag lends the forum a very unique flavor. The forum is not Apolyton without panag and, we might like to think, panag is not panag without the forum. Our community has shaped him, and he has shaped the community.

The man is omnipresent, popping up everywhere to discuss democracy games, military matters, or states of Israel’s affairs. He has something to say about everything, and nothing evil to say about those very few upon whom he expends the mental effort to dislike.

He has had few altercations (some recent demogame quarrels notwithstanding) and yet, strangely enough, he has become reviled throughout the literary community! This humble reviewer puts that reviling down to a case of jealousy on the part of those who happen to revile him. In fact, this reviewer must admit to a modicum of jealousy on his own part when he notes that the man has more posts than him... Panag has authored an enormous body of work- one that might only be fully deciphered and decoded and authored into essay form many years from now.

panag must truly enjoy the literary form to spend so much time of his day upon it, dedicating time between flights betwixt the Great Capitals of Europe debating and discussing with literary fluff-heads and insulting anarchists and beguiling anti-semites. And, he should be respected for it.

And, he is not always inane. Sometimes he takes the time to think and to debate- especially in the off-topic... However, as has been noticed of late, he has become involved in several discussions, most notably with the venerable Sava, and has, when discussing deep topics- briefly forgotten his kind demeanor and dropped his salutations and farewells.

Nevertheless, panag remains a literary forum force, one that has been sorely missed during his extended vacation in the Mingapulco isles... or wherever his form has floated.

Long live panag!
Long live Apolyton!
Old December 26, 2003, 00:07   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:09
You're mad
Old December 26, 2003, 00:10   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Comment is accepted

{end directive}

---
I had thought about doing one about you- but didn't quite know what exactly to say
Old December 26, 2003, 00:15   #4
Urban Ranger
Deity

You're mad and bored

How is your novel coming along?
Old December 26, 2003, 00:17   #5
DarkCloud
staff

I just sent off the queries to DAW and TOR!

thanks for asking!
Old December 26, 2003, 00:20   #6
Urban Ranger
Deity

Excellent
Old December 26, 2003, 00:21   #7
DarkCloud
staff

Now that I've finished the novel, I can probably dedicate more time to Apolyton (unless I decide to start work on my 'other' novels and short stories...) Interestingly enough I just completed a 1,500 word short story yesterday about a Dragon Committing Suicide

Reviews of that particular venture have been mixed
Old December 26, 2003, 00:22   #8
DarkCloud
staff

I really appreciate all the help that the apolyton crowd gave me on the medical advice... that really gave the scene some realism that had been sorely lacking before... now the entire novel is AAA-list quality
Old December 26, 2003, 00:25   #9
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:09
ME! ME! Analyze ME!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 26, 2003, 00:27   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Oh, and UR is correct... you are mad .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 26, 2003, 00:29   #11
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 10:09
Sava is a Russian Nationalist? I thought Serb is the resident cult worshiper of the old evil empire. Sava just hates Republicans and Southerners.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 26, 2003, 00:32   #12
DarkCloud
staff

Okay, I have to go soon, but I'll give it my best shot-

Imran Siddiqui

A major force in the conservative community, Imran Siddiqui has crawled his way from humble beginnings as a humble threadmaster for the CivIII-List into Off-Topic Stardom with his staunch defense of Conservative American Business and Trade. Along with Dinodoc, Imran provides a refreshing alternative to the Eurocoms, and a more alluring siren's call than the psychotic republicans, as represented by Bob Dornan and the indominable Lonestar.

Imran also happens to enjoy a bit of sports-writing now and again. His fantasy baseball leagues have proven extremely popular with the masses, thereby voiding the common belief that conservatives are far too aloof to understand the common man. Imran's leagues, simultating true free market, where everyone has the same chance to succeed- bring together both strong and weak, rich and poor in a cutthroat alliance where every man is a self made man, and no one is anyone's friend.

Imran's debates and Imran's actions both illustrate a strongly driven man- but there is a kinder, gentler side to him as well. His coffee-shop humor and general good-naturedness have endeared him to the forum bougeoise as well as the forum "scumma-de-terra" as represented by the Warlords, and Chieftans, and Settlers.

I think that we can all look forward to many more years of continued contributions from this literary personage, as he shows no sign of flagging in elder age, and in fact appears quite dedicated to the noble empire we call Apolyton. Imran is a good illustration of the old adage that "from humble beginnings come great men."

So hail to thee, for you are a greater man than I, ISiddiqui

Old December 26, 2003, 00:33   #13
DarkCloud
staff

I think I confused Serb and Sava

I suppose I really am mad
Old December 26, 2003, 00:33   #14
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Imran, such shameless begging will get you nowhe...

oh.

Do me! ME!!!!

Old December 26, 2003, 00:34   #15
DarkCloud
staff

Sorry John, but you'll have to wait until tommorrow.
Old December 26, 2003, 00:35   #16
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Dun't furget haw I nevur mizpel wudrz!
Old December 26, 2003, 00:40   #17
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

i lurk too much for my own damn good here. i'm also too moderate in my ideology, too. s'why i stay out of most of the political debates (but if you could muster ananalysis, that'd be cool. a link to my blog is in the sig).
Old December 26, 2003, 00:44   #18
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:09
Ted Striker

Bad Azz
Player
USA

Mis Novias
Old December 26, 2003, 00:46   #19
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:09
Oh me, oh me...
Old December 26, 2003, 00:47   #20
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Ted Striker

Bad Azz
Player
USA
I would've went with...

Quote:
Ted Striker

P.I.M.P. Word...
...myself.
Old December 26, 2003, 00:49   #21
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

thanks

Mis Novias
Old December 26, 2003, 01:02   #22
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

you need to get a girlfriend

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 26, 2003, 01:23   #23
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Sava’s daily diatribes and polemics leave each of us wondering about our own pre-conceived notions. He backs up his debates with extensive facts and personal experience, leading us to wonder just how well-written our nation’s histories are.
Quote:
I think I confused Serb and Sava

I suppose I really am mad
Why do I get the feeling I'm reading horoscopes?
Old December 26, 2003, 01:30   #24
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Orange

Pipsqueak
Hater
Projector
Junior
Homo-Gay

Mis Novias

Last edited by Ted Striker; December 26, 2003 at 01:48.
Old December 26, 2003, 01:55   #25
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Homo-Gay!
Old December 26, 2003, 02:46   #26
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Re: Literary Analysis of Apolyton Posters
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Sava

Ah, now a discussion of this Russian Literary Debate Giant. Sava is a firm believer in Russian Nationalism and the strength of the old “Evil Empire” as the Americansk prefer to refer to it. Sava presents a too-little heard version of international politics in this day and age of Amero-and Euro-centrism.

In fact, Sava’s views differ so much from the common caractitures of history that we are led to wonder whether he is correct or whether the world is mad. Now, as has been shown, history has commonly lied, and both sides of many tales have never been told. Therefore, I tell all you armchair generals- listen to Sava- what he speaks may very well be wisdom. Revel in your Marshall Zukhov’s and eternal Russian Empires- it just may have happened... And it may still yet happen.

Don’t ignore this man. One day he will be an even more prominent force in the literary field.
wow, I'm honored... It think

but I'm not Russian... nor am I a Russian nationalist. I'm American... and of primarily Serbian heritage. I think the Soviet Union establishment was one of the most corrupt organizations in the history of the world, and Stalin was perhaps more evil than Hitler. I do recognize, however, that the Soviet Union in general was not this "evil empire" that the conservative dopes believe. It was simply a government and society with completely different values and beliefs that the West's. And considering the slaughter they faced at the hands of foreign invaders, I can understand their post WW2 actions.

Quote:
Sava just hates Republicans and Southerners.
not true about Southerners... I have family from Georgia and Tennessee. I hate the "South"... not the South. I'm speaking of the pro confederate bible belt bullshit

but yeah, I think DarkCloud got me and Serb mixed up.
Old December 26, 2003, 02:58   #27
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
represented by Bob Dornan
B1-BOB Dornan! That's a name I haven't heard in forever .

Quote:
fantasy baseball leagues have proven extremely popular with the masses, thereby voiding the common belief that conservatives are far too aloof to understand the common man. Imran's leagues, simultating true free market, where everyone has the same chance to succeed- bring together both strong and weak, rich and poor in a cutthroat alliance where every man is a self made man, and no one is anyone's friend.
Well done, mate. Well done!

Quote:
Imran, such shameless begging will get you nowhe...
Shamless begging always works .

edit: Shameless as well .
Old December 26, 2003, 03:04   #28
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: Re: Literary Analysis of Apolyton Posters
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

It was simply a government and society with completely different values and beliefs that the West's.
That just happened to kill 20 million of its own people.

Mis Novias
Old December 26, 2003, 03:05   #29
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Literary Analysis of Apolyton Posters
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
That just happened to kill 20 million of its own people.
don't blame the entire government for Stalin...
Old December 26, 2003, 03:13   #30
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Someone do something on me.