View Poll Results: Game Manuals
I read every page and appenix before playing 8 15.38%
I read most of the important stuff like interface and setup before playing 11 21.15%
I dive right into the game but use the manual for reference during the game 23 44.23%
I dive right into the game and never look at the manual 4 7.69%
I burn the manual for firewood 2 3.85%
obligatory banana option 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 26, 2003, 03:35   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Game Manuals
I got 2 games for christmas. Actually both are expansions- but one game, dungeon seige, I have not played the full game. I want to play, but I always feel a need to read the manual first.

Are you the type to dive right into a game without reading the manual, do you ever read the manual. Must you read every page including appendices before playing the game?

discuss

Lately I only read the important stuff like interface before playing. I used to read every page. A few instances I brought a manual to work and read it while I was working. But my my attention span has dropped, and I cannot wait to read the whole manual first.
Old December 26, 2003, 03:52   #2
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:10
I only read the manual if it is complicated... usually I dive right in, maybe glance at the manual to get an idea of controls. Later on, I'll use the manual as dune reading material (duning=pooing)
Old December 26, 2003, 04:39   #3
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:10
I read the manual for interface and stuff and end up usually reading the whole thing within a week. I hate it when the make shitty manuals. I prefer the ones that have a nice little backstory as well.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 26, 2003, 05:18   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 3, 2010
For the more complicated games such as Civ, I will read the manual first. With pretty much every game released nowadays though, the manual is largely useless. Most games are remakes of previous ones, so the interface is obvious and the function of things in the game are standard.
Old December 26, 2003, 05:23   #5
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:10
I like to read the manuals after the 3rd or forth attempt at a game, or when totally frustrated by it...

Otherwise they are great for on the train to and from work...
Old December 26, 2003, 05:27   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:10
I used to read the manuals from cover to cover, but these days I only consult the 'quick keys' sections upon installation, and generally only dive into the rest of it if the games confusing/doesn't work.

That said, I'm still prepared to pay more for a game with a proper manual then one with a two page installation guide and/or a .pdf file on the CD.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old December 26, 2003, 06:11   #7
Rubychaser
C3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG The Horde
King

Local Time: 00:10
A good manual is worth so much.

But then companies are run by scrooges, there for the profit.
Old December 26, 2003, 08:47   #8
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:10
I usually go right to playing until I get stuck or I just cant seem to get the hang of it, then I read the manual from front to back and return to gaming. Sometimes, as in the case with most of my games, I wont read the manual until Im bored and want something to do. They're like short stories
Old December 26, 2003, 09:09   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:10
Most newer manuals aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Old December 26, 2003, 09:32   #10
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Most newer manuals aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Ditto.

Having said that, I'm still one of the few who reads manuals from cover to cover before playing. It's just an obsession to me, I simply cannot play before reading the manual. I even read the Civ2 manual TWICE before actually playing the game. But I did it in 4 hours.
Old December 26, 2003, 12:30   #11
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:10
I read the manual as im playing, but as said most arent worth **** nowadays. The last manual that was any good to me was Pharaoh, but that included a nice poster too.

I really wish theyd get rid of those PDF manuals, dont people know its awkward to read them, let alone while playing the game
Old December 26, 2003, 12:40   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:10
A good game doesn't require a manual. I prefer tool-tips and in-game help or tutorials.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 26, 2003, 12:47   #13
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Maybe im old-skool then but i prefer serious flight sim size manuals for every game, its the feeling of a small manual can mean a rushed game, although my Deus Ex original release came with a very tiny book, surprising really inside one of the old style pc game cardboard boxes.
Old December 26, 2003, 15:24   #14
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Games like Civ I skim, then refer back later if I am confused about something.

Most manuals I don't read until there is a problem.
Old December 26, 2003, 15:24   #15
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 17:10
I hate manuals... it's the worst thing ever invented...

Last time (and first time) I read a manual was the one for Civ2... and I only read it because I was bored...

I'm glad they release games in those DVD boxes now, so there's not room for some 1000+ pages large manual...
Old December 26, 2003, 16:56   #16
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:10
I was always dissapointed whenever i got a game in a big box and there wasnt a huge manual in it. dont know why but I felt like I was getting ripped off. Maybe I got spoiled with Civ.
Old December 26, 2003, 17:22   #17
Father Beast
King

My playing time is too limited for me to stumble about in a game, not knowing what I'm doing. And I don't play enough variety to automatically know how to play every game.

The Price of having a Life.

I will read the manual through before playing, often before installing, but I'll skip the appendices until I actually play some, and then I use it for reference.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old December 27, 2003, 11:41   #18
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I'll read the manual while it installs, and then start playing. The later on I'll finish reading the manual with a cup of tea, or on the bus or something. Even during the adverts on TV. There's so many moments when a manual can be useful.

Then if its a game with lots of units or spells or skill or something, I'll look stuff up in the manual as I play. I really like a good manual. If its a PDF I'll probably never even open the file though.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 27, 2003, 13:04   #19
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I really like to read game manuals- it helps build up the suspense of playing the game; kinda like an Hors d'Oeuvre.
Old December 27, 2003, 16:06   #20
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 07:10
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Your banana option is weak and unimaginative.

I'll refer back to manuals after playing for a while. It pisses me off when the info I want isn't there, which seems to happen a lot lately.
Old December 27, 2003, 17:16   #21
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 10:10
I NEVER read manuals.

I preferably dive into game and try to experience it firsthand. No matter how complicated the game is, I'll skip the manual. This probably stems from the fact that I download most games....

Usually if its a game I have been anticipating, my first knowledge will probably come from what i have read online (like ptw, I knew everything I needed to know before playing). After those two, I always refer to game forums (such as apolyton for civ for ex.) for more info.

Only time I'll read a game manual is probably for boredom. Like when my ps2 mainboard got fried... I wanted to play virtua fighter so I just indulged myself by reading the manual and reading stuff online... or there is sava's example.

Strategy guide and maunals SUCK compared to community of good players.

Last edited by Zero; December 27, 2003 at 17:23.
Old December 27, 2003, 17:26   #22
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

It depends on the game................

PacMan i can do without the manual, Civ type game or a flight sim i use the manual from the begining.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old December 27, 2003, 19:52   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I liked the old manuals for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Fallout 1 & 2. You don't see those anymore. Part of them was an explination of the world and stuff.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 27, 2003, 20:13   #24
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I tend to read the whole thing first, even that did not help for Moo3.
Old January 26, 2004, 00:54   #25
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I miss big thick manuals. Just looking at the manuals for civ2 and SMAC. oh how I miss those. The thicker and bigger, the better.

Anyways I just got done with Knights of the Old Republic. I started the game before reading the manual. I found the interace crappy, and I stopped playing. but then I read the manual, and then started playing again. I have now finished the game. I still don't like some interace issues, but the game is playable.

I also got NWN: heroes of the underdark. I did read that manual despite the fact the gameplay is the same as the other nwn games I have. But I wanted to read up on the new epic classes and spells. I skip the builder stuff though, since I don't build anything in that game.
Old January 26, 2004, 01:40   #26
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
I NEVER read manuals.

I preferably dive into game and try to experience it firsthand. No matter how complicated the game is, I'll skip the manual.
I like to see you play a competent game of Harpoon without reading the manual
Old January 26, 2004, 01:40   #27
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I miss big thick manuals.
Hear, Hear! The worst part of getting an XBox is that the size of the game box prevents any large manuals from being made for a game of that system.

SMAC was the best manual ever, especially the reference stuff in the back. SOOOO awesome.
Old January 26, 2004, 01:43   #28
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I miss big thick manuals. Just looking at the manuals for civ2 and SMAC. oh how I miss those. The thicker and bigger, the better.
I don't mind getting manuals in soft copies, but most manuals are useless. The important stuff are in the "strategic guides" now bloody evil money grubbers.
Old January 26, 2004, 02:49   #29
Imran Siddiqui
staff

The old Black Isle manuals were amazing as well. Fallout, Baldur's Gate, those series had some really nice manuals which had notebook spirals, allowing you to fold it over nice .
Old January 26, 2004, 03:00   #30
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yep, I like the comments by Volo as well