View Poll Results: Game Manuals
I read every page and appenix before playing 8 15.38%
I read most of the important stuff like interface and setup before playing 11 21.15%
I dive right into the game but use the manual for reference during the game 23 44.23%
I dive right into the game and never look at the manual 4 7.69%
I burn the manual for firewood 2 3.85%
obligatory banana option 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 8, 2004, 04:02   #61
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I used to be a manual junkie. But being as there aren't any good manuals anymore, I rarely pay attention anymore. I still read them.

da_hal has reminded me of the old 80's game like Bard's Tale. The manual (and the box even) had the layout of the city. They were more useful back then.
Old February 8, 2004, 04:26   #62
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:10
Quote:
it just shows they're wasteful and perhaps unable to make a comprehensive in-game help system.
Of course not, you snob. Since it is an afterthought more often than not, a large manual shows that they are dedicated to giving you a great game experience. Those companies which have given large manuals have shown themselves to be some of the best ones.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 8, 2004, 05:49   #63
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 16:10
Probably some truth in that; I think most agree here.........manuals are usually shoddier nowadays, and some but certainly not all of the slack has been taken up with in-game tutorials.
Old February 8, 2004, 06:21   #64
Imran Siddiqui
staff

And, of course, a great manual doesn't mean bad in-game tutorials. One need only look at Baldur's Gate or Fallout for that.

I wish more manuals had more backstories and fun things like that as well. Those are really fun.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old February 8, 2004, 06:37   #65
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:10
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
I wish more manuals had more backstories and fun things like that as well. Those are really fun.
I take it that you're the only person in the world that read the first part of the Homeworld Manual then

Incidently, my award for the most over the top manual of all time goes to that for Microsoft's Close Combat 1. For no obvious reason, that puppy included a 40 page history of WW2.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old February 8, 2004, 06:48   #66
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 17:10
First time I bought a game was Elite for the C64. It came with a comprehensive manual and a short novel playing in the Elite universe. I loved it.

Later a friend of mine owned Civ 1. It looked impressive so I borrowed the manual and read it front to cover in one sitting. Whoa!

Yeah, I really miss those manuals...
Old February 8, 2004, 07:14   #67
DrSpike
Deity

Well, complex games make up less proportion of the total, and simple with nice eye-candy (and small manuals!) are the watchwords. Alas the golden age of the true gamer is over. We must just take what scraps we are thrown. You all know who to blame.
Old February 8, 2004, 08:30   #68
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:10
Gaming started to go downhill before "Sunday Gamers" were a force.
Old February 8, 2004, 08:41   #69
DrSpike
Deity

There were always some shallow games, but the proportion has followed the rise of the Sunday gamer almost perfectly.
Old February 8, 2004, 09:03   #70
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:10
Maybe the Sunday gamer came about because shallow games soon became all that was on offer?
Old February 8, 2004, 09:09   #71
DrSpike
Deity

I think my direction of causality is more believable.
Old February 8, 2004, 09:12   #72
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
it just shows they're wasteful and perhaps unable to make a comprehensive in-game help system.
Of course not, you snob. Since it is an afterthought more often than not, a large manual shows that they are dedicated to giving you a great game experience. Those companies which have given large manuals have shown themselves to be some of the best ones.
Snob? I'm not the one taking a pseudo-literary stance here.

Master of Orion 3 had a good manual. Lot's of back story, very readable, ect... It's a good thing that they where so dedicated and cared so much about giving a great gaming experience.

And then there's a game like Deus Ex. I mean, did it even have a manual? Clearly, they didn't care about giving a great gaming experience at all.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 8, 2004, 09:14   #73
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Talking about fun manuals, I just remembered reading the first two pages of the manual to Theme Hospital... great story... didn't teach me anything about the game though, but fun nevertheless
Old February 8, 2004, 15:30   #74
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

well the point is moot anyways.

With the restricted size of game boxes, is it still possible to include a great game manual now days?
Old February 8, 2004, 15:42   #75
DrSpike
Deity

That is a factor I'd say. They could put it on the cd of course, but some people here would prefer a chunky manual to a file on their cd I think.
Old February 8, 2004, 16:56   #76
MattH
King

Local Time: 15:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
well the point is moot anyways.

With the restricted size of game boxes, is it still possible to include a great game manual now days?
Yes, it sure is. Sim City 4 (small box) included a decent manual. I say decent because it was short and expected people to already know SC concepts.

NWN came with an inch thick spiral-bound manual, listing all the spells, classes, tables, etc.
Old February 8, 2004, 18:43   #77
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I take it that you're the only person in the world that read the first part of the Homeworld Manual then
Oh, I've never really played Homeworld.

Quote:
Incidently, my award for the most over the top manual of all time goes to that for Microsoft's Close Combat 1. For no obvious reason, that puppy included a 40 page history of WW2.
SWEET!

Quote:
Later a friend of mine owned Civ 1. It looked impressive so I borrowed the manual and read it front to cover in one sitting. Whoa!

Me too . Civ 2's was great as well.

Quote:
Master of Orion 3 had a good manual. Lot's of back story, very readable, ect... It's a good thing that they where so dedicated and cared so much about giving a great gaming experience.
I never bought Moo3, so I can't analyize how good the manual was. One game that sucked with a good manual... man, that really proves your point .

Quote:
And then there's a game like Deus Ex. I mean, did it even have a manual?
Yes it did... it wasn't horrible, but nothing great either.

And I don't know why you brought it up, Deus Ex, while being a good game, had a sub-par tutorial / in game help. A lot of stuff was just trial-and-error if you hadn't read the manual.

Quote:
NWN came with an inch thick spiral-bound manual, listing all the spells, classes, tables, etc.

--

The best manuals were definetly the Interplay RPGs. Fallout 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment. GREAT manuals. Morrowind could have used a better manual, perhaps with a nice history of the world (in addition to the history in the books).

Man, I miss those great manuals.
Old February 9, 2004, 14:21   #78
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 10:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Hueij

The fun part of the civ 1 manual was the 'anti-piracy' protection. Prior to buying it I had an *ahem* unauthorized version *ahem* so I had to try to figure out the answers to the questions. I played it so much I eventually knew them all
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old February 9, 2004, 15:27   #79
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

You should have *ahem* a better version *ahem*, mine didn't have this problem...

As I later bought the game, I never actually played the original version... why risk that it might get destroyed, if you've got another copy
Old February 10, 2004, 06:46   #80
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Ah, how the phrase 'anti-piracy protection' brings back happy memories of reading tiny black numbers printed on red cardboard.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old February 10, 2004, 06:50   #81
DrSpike
Deity

Though Monkey Island was so funny it managed to even get a laugh from its copy protection. I still smile at the Lame-O-Copy protection system.
Old February 10, 2004, 06:52   #82
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Never played it... how was it?
Old February 10, 2004, 07:07   #83
DrSpike
Deity

The same style as those 'wheels' where you align stuff and read a code, but they were just taking the mickey.
Old February 10, 2004, 07:12   #84
Case
Emperor

*Pulls old Monkey Island Box off the shelf*

When the game opened you were presented with the picture of a pirate and asked you the year the pirate was hanged in. You then matched up the top and bottom of that pirate's picture on a cardboard wheel that came with the game. When you did so the date the pirate was hanged appeared in a little hole in the wheel.
Old February 10, 2004, 07:21   #85
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

nice
Old February 10, 2004, 08:30   #86
Grumbold
Emperor

I love reading manuals that have useful information in them. There's nothing worse than a manual to a detailed game that leaves out the important stuff because they want to flog a strategy guide.
Old February 10, 2004, 15:30   #87
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

just got done reading most of the BG2 PDF manual. I had never read that manual despite playing that game through a few times. I never had the paper manual, didn't realize I had a pdf file.

While a PDF is better than nothing, I still miss books. I really feel like that person in Vault City in Fallout 2 who misses the day of books before everything went on holodisk . There's just something natural flipping pages back and forth.

BTW does anyone know how you can go to a specific page with acrobat reader? The BG2 manual is 266 pages, it takes a long time going through one page at a time- even with the mousewheel or the arrows down at the bottom.
Old February 10, 2004, 20:04   #88
Grumbold
Emperor

Document - Go To Page or just ctrl-N should do it.
Old February 10, 2004, 20:49   #89
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Stonekeep, a great game, had a decent manual.
More importantly: in the box was included a book "Thera's Awakening" which gave a background of the game. Very impressive, just like the game btw! I like it when developers do that, but I understand it's rather difficult to write a book along with your game.
Old February 12, 2004, 15:29   #90
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 10:10
What I miss is the tech tree posters that often came with the games.

...and yeah, I read the manuals - most of the time before I even load up the game on my system. Just to get a basic feel of what to expect when I do start playing...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...