Old December 26, 2003, 13:42   #1
vinraith
Settler

Local Time: 15:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Wonder Victories
I've only had the game since Christmas Eve, but I'm a bit concerned about the ease with which I seem to be able to get wonder victories. Is this a problem for anyone else?

I'm aware that I can up the points required, I've even done so, but I worry about gumming up game balance and preventing the AI from attaining WV's when it should be able to. I'm playing on moderate difficulty, which seems perfectly fine from a research/military standpoint (I'm just barely keeping up, even lagging behind a bit with the AI civs) and I've played both with slow and with regular tech speeds, if that matters. Anyway, is this unusual or is it just pretty darn easy to win with wonders if you're an economic kinda civ (ie Egypt, Maya, Britain)?
vinraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2003, 23:31   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Wonders use up resources that could otherwise be used to expand your army / build more defences / expand your territory. They cost quite a significant amount, and obviously you have that many resources to spare. Perhaps moving up the difficulty level would be in order?

Personally I play with wonder victories off though, it does seem rather cheap to win that way. Besides, I like getting as many wonders as I can and then crushing my opposition.
Old December 28, 2003, 13:30   #3
Rohag
Warlord

My experience is that increasing the cost of technologies and/or slowing research speeds has a greater negative effect on the performance of the AI than increasing the number of wonder points or territory percentage required for victory. In fact, I haven't seen where the latter cases have any effect on the performance of the AI (again, speaking only from my own experience).
Old December 28, 2003, 17:14   #4
vinraith
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Rohag
My experience is that increasing the cost of technologies and/or slowing research speeds has a greater negative effect on the performance of the AI than increasing the number of wonder points or territory percentage required for victory. In fact, I haven't seen where the latter cases have any effect on the performance of the AI (again, speaking only from my own experience).
That's a real pity, since the game's much more enjoyable when the tech progress is spread out across the entire course of the game. At normal tech speed, you just end up spending an hour in the information age at the end and 5-7 minutes in all the other ages, it sucks.

Anyway, I cranked up the difficulty and it got better, although on tough I've discovered the ONLY way I can win is wonders, marking it as clearly the easiest goal in the list. Ah well, I guess I'll bump the points required and see what happens... at least the AI seems to react to my wonder advantage now. It never attacks as hard as it should, though. After all, I wouldn't have all these spare resources if I had a military worth spit...
Old December 30, 2003, 00:49   #5
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 11:11
u should atttack earlier
Old December 30, 2003, 00:56   #6
vinraith
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by flash9286
u should atttack earlier
I clearly don't have to, so why would I? The AI should attack earlier.
Old January 1, 2004, 03:43   #7
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 10:11
Moved to the strat forum, but left a redirect. The strat forum needs every thread it can get.

RAH
Old January 1, 2004, 11:51   #8
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 11:11
your should attack earlier because the computer cant handle rushs and raids good. Just never rush mayan or chinese
Old January 1, 2004, 12:02   #9
Rohag
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vinraith
...at least the AI seems to react to my wonder advantage now...
I might mention that if the game continues into Modern - Information, AIs will aggressively target your wonders with bombers. Several times I've been caught unawares and had to hastily redirect fighters to defend wonders or throw up anti-air sites in the paths of the bombers.