Old December 26, 2003, 18:29   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 11:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
achievement gap
From time to time we hear things about how "we need to close the achievement gap" or some such. Has it ever occured to you how twisted an idea that is? Say (numbers are made up) 40% of white people went to college but only 20% of black people did. If the achievement gap is a bad thing, then it would be better for those numbers to go to 40 and 40 than for them to go to 40 and 60! It would also be at least partially good for them to go DOWN to 20 and 20. However, GOD FORBID it go to 20 and 50!

Discuss
Old December 26, 2003, 18:37   #2
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

huh?
Old December 26, 2003, 18:42   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

The goal "closing the achievement gap" is nonsensical (or at least has nonsensical implications, which amounts to the same thing).
Old December 26, 2003, 18:46   #4
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

are you saying that, in an attempt to 'close the achievement gap' as you call it, colleges are limiting the potential of white students in favour of elevating the potential of Black ones? ie- that white students are being turned down in favour of black ones? so instead of having a 40/20 situation, as in your example, people are creating a 30/30 situation, letting one side fall off while the other is increased? thats what you're saying?
Old December 26, 2003, 18:48   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, I'm saying that the goal "closing the achievement gap" implies that it would be a good thing to do stuff like that (in fact, it implies that it would be ok to just cut it to 20-20 because, hey, now they're the same).

I'm trying to say that what should be important is helping everyone, not breaking us down into meaningless categories based on skin color or other superficial things.
Old December 26, 2003, 18:49   #6
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 10:11
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
not breaking us down into meaningless categories based on skin color or other superficial things.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old December 26, 2003, 18:55   #7
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

why is that getting a thumbs up?

duh... what the hell are you trying to say skywalker? of course, we shouldn't sacrifice one group achieving in order to have two groups equal rather than having the second group achieve at the level of the first group... and of course, group individuals into categories based on skin colour is stupid and racist. what is your point?
Old December 26, 2003, 18:57   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:11
[Bait]

Most black people are poor.

[/Bait]
Old December 26, 2003, 18:59   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer

duh... what the hell are you trying to say skywalker? of course, we shouldn't sacrifice one group achieving in order to have two groups equal rather than having the second group achieve at the level of the first group... and of course, group individuals into categories based on skin colour is stupid and racist. what is your point?
My point is that while the goal or getting rid of the achievement gap seems to promote equality etc., the consequences of it are irrational and harmful.
Old December 26, 2003, 19:21   #10
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
[Bait]

Most black people are poor.

[/Bait]
[Bite]
NO WE ISNT! WHITEY IS PUTTIN' US DOWN!
[/Bite]
Old December 26, 2003, 19:23   #11
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:11
Quote:
I'm trying to say that what should be important is helping everyone, not breaking us down into meaningless categories based on skin color or other superficial things.

but then it would make sense and there would be one less thing to ***** about, and the world being what it is, wont let that happen.
Old December 26, 2003, 19:32   #12
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer

As long as we recognize "groups" then we will be fostering differences. I've said it before and I'll say it again: King was right...Judge people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old December 26, 2003, 19:58   #13
axi
Prince

Local Time: 18:11
Why do you think that it would be better if less people overall went to college? Wouldn't society be better off if more people had a college education?
Old December 26, 2003, 21:07   #14
Q Classic
Emperor

i say if it's ok for there to be hbcs, we should also create bunches of hacs, so we as won't be limited.
Old December 26, 2003, 21:11   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by axi
Why do you think that it would be better if less people overall went to college? Wouldn't society be better off if more people had a college education?
I don't! I think that it's BAD! What I was pointing out was that if we accept the achievement gap as being inherently bad, then we must also accept that a decrease in achievement in whichever group is ahead as inherently good, which is ridiculous. Thus, it is ridiculous to say the achievement gap is inherently bad.
Old December 26, 2003, 21:19   #16
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I am totally lost.

Quote:
Thus, it is ridiculous to say the achievement gap is inherently bad.
I thought you've been trying to get at the fact that the "achievement gap" is an idiotic phrase.
Old December 26, 2003, 21:30   #17
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
I am totally lost.
By showing that the logical consequences of an assumption are ridiculous, I show that assumption to be ridiculous itself. A logical consequence of the assumption "the achievement gap is inherently bad" is the statement "hurting the group in the lead is inherently good", which is ridiculous. Thus, the assumption "the achievement gap is inherently bad" is ridiculous.

Quote:
thought you've been trying to get at the fact that the "achievement gap" is an idiotic phrase.
No, there is an achievement gap and the phrase is relatively accurate.
Old December 26, 2003, 21:44   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 08:11
The "achievement gap" has more to do with the culture of different minority groups then anything else. Most of the Mexican/central American/Spanish speaking Caribbean people who immigrate to the US are more interested in getting jobs then in going to school & naturally they often pass this along to their children. That's why Hispanics in the US have such a low level of college graduates. The Hispanics who are educated and happy with their lives generally don't want to move to another country while it's the lower class that leaves for the US.

The low level of educational achievement among blacks seems to be of the "you can't win in a white man's world so why try" variety. Personally, I believe this is a crutch used by people who just can’t be bothered to put the effort in. Still, black women have been make great strides in educational achievement while black men don't seem to fair very well.

Asians often have a higher level of achievement then whites do and this too is mostly because of culture. Chinese, Korean, & Japanese families seem to stress educational excellence to their children from a young age. Many Asian parents even go so far as to punish or beat their kids if they don’t bring home a report card with straight “A”s. I think this is to much and that it robs children of their childhood but in the end this all goes back to culture.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 26, 2003, 21:53   #19
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
Asians often have a higher level of achievement then whites do and this too is mostly because of culture. Chinese, Korean, & Japanese families seem to stress educational excellence to their children from a young age.
stress isn't quite the word i'd use for it.

Quote:
Many Asian parents even go so far as to punish or beat their kids if they don’t bring home a report card with straight “A”s.
no, beating isn't the case. usually yelling. and it's often when you bring home a 95 instead of a 100.

Quote:
I think this is to much and that it robs children of their childhood but in the end this all goes back to culture.
you're wrong. that is our childhood.

Old December 26, 2003, 22:51   #20
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Asians often have a higher level of achievement then whites do and this too is mostly because of culture. Chinese, Korean, & Japanese families seem to stress educational excellence to their children from a young age. Many Asian parents even go so far as to punish or beat their kids if they don’t bring home a report card with straight “A”s. I think this is to much and that it robs children of their childhood but in the end this all goes back to culture.
Oh, do I so know about this. At my school (an uber tech magnet school) we have about 45% Asians (though we often make jokes about how the entire school is made of Asians ) and they complain about how their parents b1tch about 94's (the lowest A) and such
Old December 26, 2003, 23:05   #21
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

it's all about family people... the asians got working families while the rest of us are the products of single mothers or divorcees.
Old December 26, 2003, 23:16   #22
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 08:11
My parents are married. Other then one aunt no one in my family has ever gotten divorced or had a child out of wedlock. We're just old fashioned.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 27, 2003, 01:42   #23
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:11
Yes... there's a lot that is based on culture, and what children are exposed to.

Presuming that as a given (it -is- changable with emphasis on personal decision-making but it's negligible in 2003)
Then there are people with different levels of desire to achieve, and different desires for education.

The best we can do is work to give people what they desire (so long as it does not stifle the ability of others to...)
That is, we give university positions to the Asians, the Whiteys and the Blacks (Plus anyone else I've forgotten).

If there aren't enough places? Fund more! (but again presuming this is impossible) Let in those who will best make use of the available positions. Those hard workers with good minds.
Out of culture this may be majorly asian, but hey... give power only to those that want and can use it!

Fixing base attitudes is the key to fixing society (As these attitudes are what define our culture and our society itself) but without fixing those we can at least work to help different cultures.
Old December 27, 2003, 17:22   #24
Q Classic
Emperor

my family's divorced. last time i checked, i was still asian, though the divorced family bit could make me a lapsed asian. i should start practicing again.
Old December 27, 2003, 18:51   #25
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:11
Correct me if I'm wrong please - English is not my mother tounge:

"we need to close the achievement gap" - objetive

Commentary
Quote:
... that if we accept the achievement gap as being inherently bad, then we must also accept that a decrease in achievement in whichever group is ahead as inherently good, which is ridiculous. Thus, it is ridiculous to say the achievement gap is inherently bad.
Method:
Quote:
By showing that the logical consequences of an assumption are ridiculous, I show that assumption to be ridiculous itself.

-----------------
Aplying the same logic (Again - correct me if I'm wrong)

"we need to end the consume of drugs"

Commentary (by Yaroslav):
... that if we accept the achievement gap drug use as being inherently bad, then we must also accept that a decrease in achievement in whichever group is ahead as inherently good the number of drug consumed as inherently good, no matter wich system is used to meet that objetive (for instance, killing all the drug-consuming people), which is ridiculous. Thus, it is ridiculous to say the achievement gap the objetive of ending the drug consume is inherently bad.

Method:
Quote:
By showing that the logical consequences of an assumption are ridiculous, I show that assumption to be ridiculous itself.
Were am I wrong?

Last edited by yaroslav; December 27, 2003 at 19:01.
Old December 27, 2003, 18:54   #26
Kuciwalker
Deity

I think you made a formatting error. I'm not sure I understood the point of that post
Old December 27, 2003, 18:56   #27
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Format corrected
Old December 27, 2003, 19:57   #28
Kuciwalker
Deity

Old December 27, 2003, 20:09   #29
yaroslav
Emperor

Why do you laugh?

It's my way of saying that I don't understand your logic