Old December 26, 2003, 20:06   #1
Melboz99
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 09:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Just got Conquests!
Hey all!

I helped start up a PBEM game, and all the players insisted on C3C. Well I was ticked. Not because they wanted to play C3C, but because I had to get the game today. All the retail stores sell it for $30. I could have bought three of them on Amazon.com for that price!

Well I bit the bullet. I payed the $30, plus the $3 tax, and installed it on my new hard drive (the main reason I didn't want to pay the extra $20) I played my first turn of the PBEM game, and then decided to play a scenario while I waited for it to come around agian.

Well, I have to be honest. I played the mesopotamian scenario on Regent and I would have to say it was the most fun I've had in a computer game in a long time. I loved all the new technologies, units, and concepts. I thought it was really cool how I could build worker homes and get over 30 production so early in history. I built a worker home in all my main citys, and the game just flew from there. I also thought it was cool how half way through the game, every civilization introduced themselves, and traded one tech with me. I really caught up on the tech tree with that one.

By turn 100 I was making close to 100 gold per turn, and had 6 wonders. Then I got navigation and started the great light house in a coastal town. I was shocked when it said that it would be done in 7 turns!

I beat the game in a little over 110 turns, during a golden age, with about 4550 victory points. My closest rival was Egypt with a little over 1500.

Just thought I would share with you guys my first experience with C3C. It was everything I want in a stategey game.

Dan O.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2003, 00:22   #2
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:11
Good to know you liked it.
Old December 27, 2003, 00:25   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:11
Great, did you download the patch? It fixes the gold bug and improves the corruption a tad.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2003, 00:30   #4
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I got it too, and it's been a great experience so far.

The first thing to see was the box, which is pretty good. The art on the front is good enough, and the back text is okay (I guess), but the inside cover (listing the scenarios) is a great, quick scen summary. I like it.

Now, onto the meat. The game. I haven't played an Epic yet nor finished a Conquest (I'm not like all you guys who can sit down for 24 hours straight and play two games in a row), but I'm very impressed with the Conquests. They're all fun to play, and the Sengoku Conquest is just insanely complex, detailed, and well-done. I congratulate Firaxis on making an expansion that is well worth and then a few times over $10. (I also thank Amazon for being insane enough to sell it that cheap )
Old December 27, 2003, 10:12   #5
cpbeller
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:11
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Great, did you download the patch? It fixes the gold bug and improves the corruption a tad.
Is this patch the BETA patch that is out? i think version 1.12

I downloaded that one....i didn't need to download the first patch first did I? (wow, that made alot of sense).

I also have Civ3 Gold....now, that is current in and of itself, right? Then i install Conquests....and, like i said, i have the BETA patch....
cpbeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2003, 10:47   #6
Melboz99
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Now, onto the meat. The game. I haven't played an Epic yet nor finished a Conquest (I'm not like all you guys who can sit down for 24 hours straight and play two games in a row)
Mr. Mitchell. Try the Mesopotamian Conquest out. It only took me 1 hour and 24 minutes. If that's too long, just save and exit when you have to do something else or you get tired. Then you can finish it later.

But man, that was the quickest 1 hour and 24 minutes ever! Time flies when your haveing fun! BTW, I did not have the patch at the time of the game. Is that why I was making 100 gold per turn in that time period? What exactly is the gold bug? I didn't really have any trouble with corruption though, small map you know .
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2003, 10:57   #7
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
What exactly is the gold bug? I
IIRC the "gold bug" is that gpt is tallied twice when it's added to your treasury each turn. So if you were making a lot of gpt deals with the AI (say for tech), yes, you're probably making more gold than you're supposed to be.
Old December 27, 2003, 11:27   #8
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Soory getting the upgrade was such a drama etc.

Hope you aree enjoying it now you have it though.
Old December 27, 2003, 14:55   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:11
Quote:
Originally posted by cpbeller

Is this patch the BETA patch that is out? i think version 1.12

I downloaded that one....i didn't need to download the first patch first did I? (wow, that made alot of sense).

I also have Civ3 Gold....now, that is current in and of itself, right? Then i install Conquests....and, like i said, i have the BETA patch....
Sorry, yes I was referring to 1.12 beta. It only affects C3C. Gold is current AFAIK.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2003, 15:26   #10
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 10:11
Well, in that particular scenerio, the AI is likely to spend the game in govts in which they can't rush-cash, which combined with AI behavior in such govts, tends to minimize the willingness of the AI to pay GPT.

The same thing occurs in Fall of Rome for the non-civilized nations.

Also, if you don't build the FP at all pre-patch, you won't be affected by the FP bug.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell

IIRC the "gold bug" is that gpt is tallied twice when it's added to your treasury each turn. So if you were making a lot of gpt deals with the AI (say for tech), yes, you're probably making more gold than you're supposed to be.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote