Old December 27, 2003, 02:06   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 10:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Dean Blames Bush For Mad Cow And Calls For Aid To Cattle Industry.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d=694&ncid=716

Dean Urges Gov't. Aid for Beef Industry
2 hours, 54 minutes ago

By JOHN SOLOMON, Associated Press Writer

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean on Friday assailed the Bush administration for failing to set up a livestock tracking system he said could have averted the current mad cow scare and said he supports federal aid to help the American beef industry weather the storm.

Dean also weighed in for the first time on the news earlier this week that a cow in Washington state has tested positive for mad cow disease, the first such case in the United States.

The former governor, whose state has a large dairy cow population, said the Bush administration failed to aggressively set up a tracking system that would allow the government to quickly track the origins of the sick cow, quarantine other animals it came in contact with and assure the marketplace the rest of the meat supply is safe.

"What we need in this country is instant traceability," he said.

Dean said such a system should have been set up quickly after the mad cow scare that devastated the British beef industry in the mid- to late-1990s. The Bush administration was still devising its plan when the sick cow was slaughtered Dec. 9, and on Friday the government still hadn't determine the infected animal's origins.

"This just shows the complete lack of foresight by the Bush administration once again," Dean said. "This is something that easily could be predicted and was predicted."

Dean said as a result the beef industry will suffer enormously. Officials said Friday 90 percent of the foreign markets for American beef have been closed off because of the announcement.

Asked if he supported a federal economic aid package for the industry, Dean said: "The answer is, yes, of course I do. The question is how much? And we don't know how much yet."

Dean said the government's first job, before the economic damage is calculated, must be to "close down that impact as soon as possible" by tracing the cow's origins and credibly reassuring the American public and the world that the rest of the U.S. beef supply is safe.

As a doctor, Dean said he was more concerned about the impact of the announcement on the U.S. economy than on public health. "The truth is this is going to have a minimal health impact," he said.
I hear tomorrow, he will blame Bush for the unstable fault line under California and our defeat at the Little Big Horn.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 27, 2003, 02:08   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:12
It's not wholly without merit.
Old December 27, 2003, 02:11   #3
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Bush is to blame for letting various industries run wild without adequate regulation. Dean is right.

Maybe Bush isn't smart enough to recognize the things that really DO threaten the health and lives of Americans. Perhaps we need a president who is smart enough.
Old December 27, 2003, 02:12   #4
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
What, the defeat at the Little Big Horn...

I'm surprised it has taken this long for it to get here. Still I might want to wait for a month before calling this the end of the cattle industry in the US. Meanwhile, he needs to talk about the lack of progress in capturing Saddam. hmmm wait a sec.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 27, 2003, 02:16   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Yeah, capturing Saddam is REALLY going to effect the beef industry....

"Honey, debt is piling up incredibly high and our income is being halved."
"Why dear, you should not worry! Bush recently captured Saddam. Everything will be fine "
Old December 27, 2003, 02:17   #6
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Yeah, capturing Saddam is REALLY going to effect the beef industry....

"Honey, debt is piling up incredibly high and our income is being halved."
"Why dear, you should not worry! Bush recently captured Saddam. Everything will be fine "
I don't guess you got the meaning of that oh well..
Old December 27, 2003, 02:19   #7
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

what good did capturing saddam do? seriously... what? how many americans have been killed by saddam? or by saddam's forces? (other than soldiers in Iraq)... uhmmm

ZERO

how many people have died as a result of terrorism in the last 20 years? a little more than 3000? ****... if you want to even look at the last few years...

chance of dying in terror attacks 2000.... ZERO
chance of dying in terror attacks 2001.... a little more than ZERO
chance of dying in terror attacks 2002.... ZERO
so far in 2003? ZERO

so far, Bush has the worst record in history in terms of Americans dying in terror attacks... but even then, the number isn't that significant. More Americans die from cheeseburgers and beer than terrorists.

and Saddam Hussein? he wasn't a threat to me or any other American. He was a tinpot dictator, slowly being choked to death. Why oh why did we need to spend hundreds of billions, kill thousands of civilians, and waste hundreds of american soldiers' lives to get this guy? he was murdering his own people? bah... the worst was over... and the vast majority of people killed by him were the RESULT OF US SUPPORT in the IRAN/IRAQ WAR and the Kurds killed by chemical weapon technology WE GAVE TO HIM. ****... even the helicopter used in the gas attacks against the Kurds were American made.

so when you speak of progress, Sprayber... do it in a area where there is ROOM FOR IT!
Old December 27, 2003, 02:21   #8
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:12
Dean is putting himself further and further from the middle of the country, who will decide the next election. Democrats will nominate him, and he will lose in a landslide.

Avert all this. Vote Clark.
Old December 27, 2003, 02:24   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Avert all this. Vote Clark.
I tend to agree with this... only Clark has the credentials to say "while I was getting shot in Vietnam, that ***** frat boy [bush] was AWOL from his cushy national guard post where he flew obsolete aircraft and was exempt from foreign combat"

but then again... if people who care about making sure the cattle industry is regulated so we don't eat MAD COW disease are raving leftists... then I want to be a raving leftist.

vote republican! they would rather you die of mad cow than make the beef industry take care of diseased cows.
Old December 27, 2003, 02:27   #10
Harry Tuttle
SporeScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

""This just shows the complete lack of foresight by the Bush administration once again," Dean said. "This is something that easily could be predicted and was predicted." "

Huh? Oh great, I can just see Farmer Dan keeping track of his feed, which steer did what cow, and then filling out the governmental forms to report for the last 4 years to cover the gestation period of the disease. I agree that there should have been a few more ideas on how to deal with the problem on the table but cmon, Dean's just being negative to comment on the situation.
Old December 27, 2003, 02:37   #11
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

I don't guess you got the meaning of that oh well..
You were attempting to link the Dems premature "He's not here yet" (regarding Saddam) with Deans "Bush didn't do much" (regarding Mad Cow disease) and somehow trying to establish that because the dems prematurely blasted Bush, Dean is somehow completly wrong on this issue.

And I called you on it
Old December 27, 2003, 02:37   #12
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

so Harry... you don't think the government should make the beef industry accountable for preventing the disease?
Old December 27, 2003, 03:27   #13
Harry Tuttle
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
so Harry... you don't think the government should make the beef industry accountable for preventing the disease?
No I do, but blaming Bush for it is a bit of a stretch. The department of agriculture should have picked up on this one a while ago but Dean is making it sound like it required a presidential edict to make any action happen.

And I think the nature of the disease is what makes it so hard to track. The gestation period is four years and less, a heck of a lot of time to track the activity of a cow. Having the government come in and start tracking things might become absurd.

As for the tainted feed problem, there could have been some laws regarding quality control, but then we start getting into a trade problem over feed imports, etc...

And yes, I think the beef industry should have a few more controls on it. I don't necessarlity trust their lobbying efforts. I've seen one of their spokesperson at the county fair and he might have been boss hogs' brother.
Old December 27, 2003, 03:32   #14
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
No I do, but blaming Bush for it is a bit of a stretch. The department of agriculture should have picked up on this one a while ago but Dean is making it sound like it required a presidential edict to make any action happen.
well is it the most powerful job in the world or is it? does the buck stop there or doesn't it? I'm not saying this is bush's fault or that he's the only one who could have done something about it... and this definitely is just more politics on Dean's part... but he's not wrong.
Quote:
And I think the nature of the disease is what makes it so hard to track. The gestation period is four years and less, a heck of a lot of time to track the activity of a cow. Having the government come in and start tracking things might become absurd.
so the government can't do thing right? how come you don't feel this way when it comes to drug laws?
Quote:
As for the tainted feed problem, there could have been some laws regarding quality control, but then we start getting into a trade problem over feed imports, etc...
AFAIK, mad cow becomes more likely when animals eat their own ****, or feed heavily fertilized by their own ****, or feed made from the same kind of dead animals (i.e. cannibalizing)... it's possible this isn't the case here... I don't know.. but I have to believe that somewhere, there are farmers cutting corners and not being held accountable
Quote:
And yes, I think the beef industry should have a few more controls on it. I don't necessarlity trust their lobbying efforts. I've seen one of their spokesperson at the county fair and he might have been boss hogs' brother.
so if you agree, why are you arguing? if you don't like dean, fine... but don't attack him for being wrong when he isn't being wrong...

this is just politics as usual... dismiss it as such
Old December 27, 2003, 03:40   #15
Harry Tuttle
King

Quote:
so the government can't do thing right? how come you don't feel this way when it comes to drug laws?
Apples and Oranges. Drug laws are different and all I want are the same laws for pot as there are for alcohol and cigs. The govt can inspect processing plants for cigs, alcohol, and even pot easily as they are/would be processed in a factory. Cows, on the other hand, are bred and sold in thousands of farms across the country. Plus they tend to move, eat crap when no ones looking, and do stuff inanimate objects can't. I'm just saying that more regs aren't necessarily better regs. To many variables.

Quote:
this is just politics as usual... dismiss it as such
Duly noted.
Old December 27, 2003, 03:42   #16
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

dually noted... even...
Old December 27, 2003, 03:48   #17
Sprayber
Emperor

Maybe they should put tracking devices in every cow in the country and create the office of Domestic Bovine Tracking. They could have a central command and everthing
Old December 27, 2003, 03:55   #18
Harry Tuttle
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Maybe they should put tracking devices in every cow in the country and create the office of Domestic Bovine Tracking. They could have a central command and everthing
Sava can "insert" the devices...
Old December 27, 2003, 03:59   #19
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Tuttle

Sava can "insert" the devices...
My neighbor raised cattle when I was a kid. I would often help him vaccinate his cows and help when one of his cows was having a difficult birth. The things I've seen him have to do to help some of them would be just down Sava's ally
Old December 27, 2003, 04:07   #20
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:12
He's like the mad Bush dog. Wind him up, mention Bush, and let him go... he'll piss all over any thread he is released in.
Old December 27, 2003, 04:21   #21
Harry Tuttle
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
He's like the mad Bush dog. Wind him up, mention Bush, and let him go... he'll piss all over any thread he is released in.
Ah well, at least he has a sense of humor, can't fault him to much.
Old December 27, 2003, 05:01   #22
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

so truuuuuuuuuee!

personally... I think we genetically engineer beef plants that grow tons of lean meat, but don't have brains or hooves or any of that ****... the we can harvest meat just like corn...

BUT NO ALL THE STUPID HIPPIES DON'T WANT TO EVEN TRY TO GENETICALLY MODIFY FOOD!

wave of the future man...
Old December 27, 2003, 05:04   #23
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 11:12
Quote:
True, but it's dangerously close.

Quote:
only Clark has the credentials to say "while I was getting shot in Vietnam, that ***** frat boy [bush] was AWOL from his cushy national guard post where he flew obsolete aircraft and was exempt from foreign combat"
What about Kerry?
Old December 27, 2003, 05:06   #24
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
What about Kerry?
I don't like him... he's an elitist piece of ****... and he's a stupid frat boy skull and bones **** head just like bush. Plus he voted for IWR and Patriot act... **** HIM! **** KERRY IN THE ****ING EARHOLE WITH A BUFFALO ****!
Old December 27, 2003, 05:09   #25
Drake Tungsten
Deity

And Clark is a hyper-ambitious, back-stabbing, brown-nosing ****. What's your point?

At least Kerry was a Democrat before he decided to run for President...
Old December 27, 2003, 05:17   #26
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
And Clark is a hyper-ambitious,
what politician isn't
Quote:
back-stabbing,
referring to what? source, proof? don't give me that general shelton bullshit, that issue is dead
Quote:
brown-nosing ****.
you don't get far in the military or in politics if you go your own way and piss everyone else off
Quote:
What's your point?
kerry = teh suck... clark = l337
Quote:
At least Kerry was a Democrat before he decided to run for President...
and in 5 minutes of being a democrat, Clark stood up for "Democratic" principles better than Kerry has in 30 ****ing years.

Plus, Kerry is part of the Washington establishment and I hate them... also, if Dean or Clark don't win in 2004, then Hillary wins in 2008... AND I DON'T WANT 8 MORE DAMN YEARS OF THE ****IGN CLINTONS!@!@#!@
Old December 27, 2003, 07:37   #27
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 16:12
Can we conclude that, despite all the warning signs from the UK experience, some dozy pillock has been feeding cows with other cows? Or sheep?
Old December 27, 2003, 10:09   #28
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Bush is to blame for letting various industries run wild without adequate regulation. Dean is right.
Really? Cite on the acts and laws that have been passed in re: to relaxing agriculture regulations? Please?
Old December 27, 2003, 10:34   #29
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Can we conclude that, despite all the warning signs from the UK experience, some dozy pillock has been feeding cows with other cows? Or sheep?
Sounds like it. Sava thinks it was Bush.
Old December 27, 2003, 10:44   #30
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:12
Dean's also the moron that wants to put Osama Bin Laden on trial before finding him guilty

What a moron

Mis Novias