Old December 28, 2003, 18:51   #61
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
I mean, oh my god people, this forum has examples of some really insidious forms of discrimination. Take the ****ing "homo-gay" insult flying around. I can't even begin to tell you how much that pisses me off. There's not even any need for it considering how versatile the English language is with swearing. No one bats an eyelid when someone says "that's homo-gay". Can you imagine the uproar of someone went around saying "That's only fit for the niggers"? It's the exact same thing. You're placing yourself above an entire group and looking down upon them in the most insulting way possible.

You have always been WAY too uptight with this. Relax man, relax.

You know in real life *I* am ALWAYS the one going above and beyond the call to defend gays when I hear people discriminating against them.

Nobody is looking down on anybody.

Mis Novias
Old December 28, 2003, 19:09   #62
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:15
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Honey, the big stuff I'm not uptight about. Like being told "Aids is a punishment" or being avoided by a friend when I come out to them. Yeah, I can deal with that.

It's the day to day stuff that wears me out. The kids running around the playground calling their friends "faggot" and "queerboy" as petty childish insults. No one even blinks when they do. If they had been using any other word for any other social group, they'd have been boxed around the ears. I spent a year helping ADHD diagnosed kids at my school and every third world they said was a homophobic insult. They didn't even realise how insulting it was. They wouldn't have dared say the world "nigger" but they threw "faggot" around freely. It's depressing and frustrating being the last social group that it's still marginally acceptable to use as an insult in such a manner.

The difference between you and Stewart is that I like you. I know at the end of the day you don't mean what you say, no matter how annoying seeing you type "homo-gay" is. With Stewart, I just don't know anymore. So if I get the chance to insult him back, well, that's the least I can do. It's people like him, so freely and unthinkingly being insulting that makes everyone else think it might be acceptable.

So I'm going to be a bit uptight about it thank you very much. I can't yell at the kids or teenagers, only hope that they mature and get better. A jerkoff like Spink though, I can yell at. Helps me get rid of a bit of stress and you know how bad stress is for the complexion.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 28, 2003, 19:12   #63
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:15
do you like me too?
Old December 28, 2003, 19:14   #64
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yes. I find German accents very sexy.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 28, 2003, 19:14   #65
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
Honey, the big stuff I'm not uptight about. Like being told "Aids is a punishment" or being avoided by a friend when I come out to them. Yeah, I can deal with that.

It's the day to day stuff that wears me out. The kids running around the playground calling their friends "faggot" and "queerboy" as petty childish insults. No one even blinks when they do. If they had been using any other word for any other social group, they'd have been boxed around the ears. I spent a year helping ADHD diagnosed kids at my school and every third world they said was a homophobic insult. They didn't even realise how insulting it was. They wouldn't have dared say the world "nigger" but they threw "faggot" around freely. It's depressing and frustrating being the last social group that it's still marginally acceptable to use as an insult in such a manner.

The difference between you and Stewart is that I like you. I know at the end of the day you don't mean what you say, no matter how annoying seeing you type "homo-gay" is. With Stewart, I just don't know anymore. So if I get the chance to insult him back, well, that's the least I can do. It's people like him, so freely and unthinkingly being insulting that makes everyone else think it might be acceptable.

So I'm going to be a bit uptight about it thank you very much. I can't yell at the kids or teenagers, only hope that they mature and get better. A jerkoff like Spink though, I can yell at. Helps me get rid of a bit of stress and you know how bad stress is for the complexion.

Alright well I guess maybe I'll stop using that phrase. It's just so damn original and catchy though.

Quote:
Helps me get rid of a bit of stress and you know how bad stress is for the complexion.

Mis Novias
Old December 28, 2003, 19:15   #66
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
do you like me too?
Jawohl, Ecthelion ist sehr gut.

Mis Novias
Old December 28, 2003, 19:15   #67
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:15
Starchild:

I remember years ago, when I first registered, you started a thread about how you fell in love with somebody, and MAN! How the insults flew from the likes of Joe and Jeszincka (I'm positive about the first, pretty-sure about the latter). Pretty damned pathetic, if you ask me.
Old December 28, 2003, 19:18   #68
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

good lawd that's going back

Mis Novias
Old December 28, 2003, 19:18   #69
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:15
I agree with Starchild...it all depends on who is the person making the statement along with the "unspoken" (real or imaginary) meaning behind the statment in the first place.
Old December 28, 2003, 19:18   #70
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm branching out to other languages for my swearing. It's fun.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 28, 2003, 19:19   #71
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
The kids running around the playground calling their friends "faggot" and "queerboy" as petty childish insults. No one even blinks when they do. If they had been using any other word for any other social group, they'd have been boxed around the ears.
When I was a kid, we have people say "Don't be a Jew". It was a generic insult.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 28, 2003, 19:20   #72
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Starchild:

I remember years ago, when I first registered, you started a thread about how you fell in love with somebody, and MAN! How the insults flew from the likes of Joe and Jeszincka (I'm positive about the first, pretty-sure about the latter). Pretty damned pathetic, if you ask me.
ah yes...that silly 13 year old "liking someone = eternal forever love" thing. You know how much I drink to try and forget that?

Alas, that proved to be the height of my relationship history and since then, it's all been downhill.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 28, 2003, 19:21   #73
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
good lawd that's going back
My ...mind is like a steel... uh, something. Trip?
Old December 28, 2003, 19:21   #74
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Kids used to say, "ohhh you jewed me." Or "ohhh you gypped me."

We had no idea that those words actually referred to Jews and Gypsies years later. I think most of them don't realize that even today.

Mis Novias
Old December 28, 2003, 19:22   #75
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
The kids running around the playground calling their friends "faggot" and "queerboy" as petty childish insults. No one even blinks when they do. If they had been using any other word for any other social group, they'd have been boxed around the ears.
When I was a kid, we have people say "Don't be a Jew". It was a generic insult.
You might concider it a generic insult - until it is used against someone of the Jewish faith.
Old December 28, 2003, 19:23   #76
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Young love is always the best... and the worst. Funny how that happens, huh?
Old December 28, 2003, 19:26   #77
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, considering I've gone from stupid teenage crush to having my last date steal my scarf, I think the worst may be yet to come.

Like I said, all downhill. I was the mountain goat that climbed to the top of the pepple and ended falling down Everest.

*blatant cry for sympathy and love here*
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 28, 2003, 19:28   #78
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

:sniff:

:hug: (one of those manly ones, where you hug and hit at the same time. )
Old December 28, 2003, 19:31   #79
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

*tempted to cop-a-feel off of JohnT*

*yes, it's been that long since my last date*

-Richard Dawkins
Old December 28, 2003, 19:32   #80
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Old December 28, 2003, 19:33   #81
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Mis Novias
Old December 28, 2003, 19:44   #82
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Or "ohhh you gypped me."
They STILL use this term. I wonder if anyone has gone against this?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 28, 2003, 19:50   #83
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Or "ohhh you gypped me."
They STILL use this term. I wonder if anyone has gone against this?
Gimmie time. I'm still trying to find my Romany roots somewhere. Hell, between my ancestors jetting up to Scotland and over to Wales, one of them just have ****ged a Roma.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 28, 2003, 19:50   #84
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:15
I don't like it, nor have I liked 'jewed' since sometime around when I was 12 years old and began to understand what was behind the language.
Old December 28, 2003, 21:27   #85
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 09:15
AFAIcan tell, when someone (except PA) says "That's gay," It's not an insult to gays but an insult to the thing they're referring to. Personally I would have no problem with someone unleashing a barrage of insults to straight white males every time they saw something ridiculous or awful...

However, I remember a thread where it was IIRC Ann Coulter who was described as "homo-gay". Yes, it IS an insult to gays to associate them with Ann Coulter

--
It's better to look at the meanings behind the words instead of the words. If it's used enough it will become a common and unrelated-to-its-namesake cheap insult, and there is very little that can be done to tweak around the English language and gain common acceptance.

I think Starchild, with the children's example, was worried about kids coming to associate gays with the awful or ridiculous things they call "gay". However, a better route than pruning language would be to preach out tolerance, even if it's harder.
Old December 28, 2003, 21:30   #86
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

they call her a she-male

but they would still hit it

Mis Novias
Old December 28, 2003, 22:22   #87
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Take the ****ing "homo-gay" insult flying around. I can't even begin to tell you how much that pisses me off.
My word, does no one understand the purpose of "homo-gay"? It's supposed to be an utterly absurd replacement for the mildly offensive use of "gay" to mean "lame". How can anyone be offended by "homo-gay"? It's a completely silly phrase, an unneccessary redundancy that pokes fun at the common usage of "gay" as an insult while retaining the same ability to roll off the tongue.

Quote:
It's just so damn original and catchy though.
Old December 29, 2003, 06:02   #88
Solly
Emperor

And it offends, therefore is a good insult.
Old December 29, 2003, 07:07   #89
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Piss off, Spink. "Homo-gay" was meant to mock homophobes like you...
Old December 29, 2003, 07:20   #90
Solly
Emperor

Well it doesn't