View Poll Results: For the W or for fun
I play to Win 14 35.90%
I play for fun 22 56.41%
I play for bananas 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 29, 2003, 03:45   #1
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 10:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Do you play to win or do you play for fun?
Its probably the most Common thread in Any MP intensive game forums.

Do you play for fun or do you play to win?

- Everyone plays to "win" to a degree. And no one plays the game even though they dont want to. So everyone plays for fun and to win.

- Some games you cant really "win". Like The Sims or MMORPG. But you can always play better and faster than anyone else. So I guess a better question to ask is whether you play competitively or not.

- Even in single play games and Co-op games, you could ask that question (for those who are extremly competitive) You can always get more scores, play better game agst AI in non VS game too.

So think about it. What kind of player are you?

A good site on this topic
http://www.sirlin.net
Old December 29, 2003, 03:57   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:17
Local Date: November 3, 2010
To win or to be the best, I guess. Which is probably why I am a SP gamer mainly.
Old December 29, 2003, 04:18   #3
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

ha! so you play to win, but you avoid playing when you cant win.

so then you ARE the best!!!!111!!!
Old December 29, 2003, 04:27   #4
pg
Prince

the point of games is to win. fun is just something that happens during winning.

but seriously, it really depends on a lot of stuff like who i'm playing with, what game it is, if i am any good or not, if i am still learning how to play, etc... if the game is primarily skill based then in the long run i play to win and have the most fun being very competitive, but if a game is mostly luck(or a good amount) i might just play for fun and usually the social aspects of it.
Old December 29, 2003, 04:37   #5
Zero
King

Almost every game has an uncontrollable factor. Its what you make out of what you can control that is skill/strategy based.

I cant really name any game that requires just luck to win the game other than R.P.S. Unless you're one of those ppl that think card games are all luck and won't play competitively...
Old December 29, 2003, 07:16   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:17
I can play competitively, the stress factor turns me off though.
Old December 29, 2003, 07:25   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:17
Quote:
Originally posted by pg
the point of games is to win. fun is just something that happens during winning.
The point of games is to have fun. Winning is just something that happens during playing.
Old December 29, 2003, 07:55   #8
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 16:17
I play some games as 'friendlies' with mates, but other than that I always play to win. It's near impossible to be competitive at MP without pulling out all the stops. The same is true to a lesser extent for SP comparison games, which are my favourite way of playing Civ.
Old December 29, 2003, 09:14   #9
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I play to win AND for fun. Therefore almost no MP, because I lose and its no fun I'd rather lose and have fun though, than win and be bored.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 29, 2003, 09:15   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 17:17
I defently play for fun...

e.g. I play SimCity, which is a game where you can't "win" (Unless you set your own goals)
Old December 29, 2003, 09:25   #11
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

I hate games like simcity

there's no goal, nothing to look forward to. How the hell can a game be interesting then... I just got bored with it after 5 minutes. After all it's the same thing every new map you play!

in my fav FPS I play for fun; winning or losing is just something that happens, however it's more fun if you win a close clanbattle than losing it.

But in the end I just want to have a good game, and that's possible too if you are losing!
Old December 29, 2003, 14:04   #12
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:17
i play for fun. if i win and have fun too, good. if i lose but still have fun, that's good too.

but i'm not the competitive type at all. it simply doesn't make sense to me anymore. back when i used to play those arcade games, i liked to have some competition. but not now. maybe i'm getting older and wiser.
Old December 29, 2003, 14:13   #13
Zero
King

ADG: Like I said. You can "Win" even in Simcity. Setting your own goals, yeah. Or you can outplay other players. While my friends stare at people walking around and make stupid decisions, I would probably figure out mechanics of how police and firedepartment works and efficiently place them to sav money thus allowing me to build a better city etc...

Skanky: That depends on how seriously you take your game I guess. You can take it to a pretty competitive level and yet not be so stressed about it. Those who stress about video game is probably taking it a bit too far. It is after all, only a game. I admit though I do get stress out not when I lose, but when I cannot perform to a level I know I can achieve due to choking and etc...

Trajanus: these kind of games are meant for people who enjoy accumulating (to fill the need to collect etc). I do agree games like simcity is like RTS without an opponent (ever continued game after winning the game? ) but it can be fun in its own way....

Jamski: Something you said is so true. You can play for fun, but you largely get pleasure from accomplishing something. All kinds of game human beings play, whetherit be a puzzle or MMORPG, has some kind of goal given or set by us. And accomplishing that gives us pleasure or fun. Even someone who isnt competitive can see that. Losing all the time isnt fun, unless you're really driven to learn how to play that game. I've never got my friends into a game I like by constantly kicking their asses.
Old December 29, 2003, 14:24   #14
Zero
King

For those who say they dont care at all about winning:

how can you enjoy a game(especially VS:duel:deathmatch) without trying to win at all. Idea is to win/achieve some goal. There will be players out there that are so good that they wont even let you do ANYTHING. You wont get to shoot them even once in FPS, you wont be building anything in RTS, you'll be comboed forever in fighting game, you'll lose to 100-0 in sports games... If you wanna actually end up playing the game you actually NEED to get better to even begin playing. In order to do that, you have to play to win IMO. Seize all opportunity, learn from your opponent what he's doing, play competitively.

Sure, you can hide away from the world and play a dumbed down game. But is that really playing that game? Is playing chess with a 4 year old playing chess at all?

Name one game you enjoy alot. Say we played 1v1 and I own you so hard. you dont even have time to move your mouse/controller. Will you keep playing? Then ask if you would enjoy the game if you dont win.

I know the answer in my situation. Even if I play to win, I can enjoy a losing game. Perhaps I enjoy a losing game even more than a winning game. Cause eventually I want to get better, read my opponent, achieve my objective. So I lose, but losing gets me to winning.
Old December 29, 2003, 14:34   #15
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I play to win in everything I do.
But if winning is no fun, I don't bother playing unless i have no choice.
But I can have fun without winning.

Quite simple.
Old December 29, 2003, 16:49   #16
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I play for fun. This means games that I can't win I will still play, and games that I routinely win I will stop playing. The game must be a challenge to be fun. If I played to win, I'd always play at the lowest level difficulty. I do the opposite, because it's harder and therefore more fun.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:31   #17
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I try to play the best game I can, I feel that is what my opponent expects of me and what I expect of him.
(without cheating).
I have no problem with playing just for fun either if everyone is, however I will usually loose interest pretty quickly.

That's why I often prefer to play for money (doesn't have to be much, just enough to get everyone sharp and to prevent to have someone to start doing silly things and ruin a game that's been underway for a couple of hours)
Old December 29, 2003, 18:04   #18
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:17
fer fun
Old December 29, 2003, 18:26   #19
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Okay, I read the Sirlin articles (interesting site) and have to say I actually play both for fun and to win, depends on the game. In MP, I'll almost always play to win, although some times I experiment with stuff that I find fun, but that's more looking for new strategies than whatever.
In SP, I play for fun in the sense there is noone to beat so I have nothing to prove. I can build up as many mental barriers as I want in my way to play as I am the only one concerned. (A typical barrier being that I'll always play ironman if I can - crashing/corrupted games sometimes prevetn that and require saves).
So I should change my vote back...
But then I don't do much MP (at least on a computer).
Old December 29, 2003, 19:55   #20
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

MP you HAVE to play to win, otherwise you spoil the game for your opponent(s)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 29, 2003, 20:06   #21
flipside
Warlord

Like most people I play to win.
My enjoyment of a game comes through trying to win.
Old December 29, 2003, 20:20   #22
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
But is that really playing that game? Is playing chess with a 4 year old playing chess at all?
Yes.

Quote:
Will you keep playing? Then ask if you would enjoy the game if you dont win.
I can lose so long as I'm allowed to have fun in defeat. If you "own me hard", I have no chance to actually enjoy the game and therefore will not play against you in the future.
This is why I enjoy Civ, beause it allows me to have fun.
Old December 29, 2003, 20:35   #23
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Winning is for losers, you learn more losing.

Having said that, i MP to win, and win i do, therefore i own 4nd r a l0s4rzxxx.
Old December 29, 2003, 22:19   #24
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:17
I play for fun... don't have the time to delve into a new game, don't have the reflexes for most MP games, don't have the temperment to deal with being called a "n00b" by some kid who just learned to wipe his ass properly.
Old December 29, 2003, 23:09   #25
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:17
I play for fun. Focusing on minmaxing exclusively isn't fun.
Old December 30, 2003, 03:19   #26
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:17
It depends. I play board games and card games for fun, mostly. Some games aren't designed for players to have fun, however. Computer games I play to win, but if I can't have fun while playing the game, I won't play it.
Old December 30, 2003, 05:22   #27
Zero
King

playing with 4yr old(assuming he/she is no prodigy) is not the same game.

Imagine playing Rock paper scissor. But whenever you throw down scissor and kid throws down rock, you win... just because the kid doesnt know how to play RPS. Thats how its gonna be when you play with scrubtastic ppl. Yeah it looks like you're playing the same game, but no in actuality you're not.

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
I can lose so long as I'm allowed to have fun in defeat. If you "own me hard", I have no chance to actually enjoy the game and therefore will not play against you in the future.
Why cant you enjoy me owning you so hard? Is it because you have absolutely no chance at winning? But if I beat you and you actually had a chance at winning (Our skill level isnt that different) you would enjoy it? Seems like possibility of you being able to win does matter for you. If it didnt you would still enjoy me owning you hard.

Last edited by Zero; December 30, 2003 at 05:42.
Old December 30, 2003, 05:26   #28
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
I try to play the best game I can, I feel that is what my opponent expects of me and what I expect of him.
(without cheating).
I have no problem with playing just for fun either if everyone is, however I will usually loose interest pretty quickly.

That's why I often prefer to play for money (doesn't have to be much, just enough to get everyone sharp and to prevent to have someone to start doing silly things and ruin a game that's been underway for a couple of hours)
thats why you're an awesome guy alva.
Old December 30, 2003, 05:30   #29
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by LDiCesare
I play for fun. This means games that I can't win I will still play, and games that I routinely win I will stop playing. The game must be a challenge to be fun. If I played to win, I'd always play at the lowest level difficulty. I do the opposite, because it's harder and therefore more fun.
Ok. you pointed out something good. Within people who play to win, there are two types of ppl.

-Ones who play to win, and will only play when they can win. (Non comps who satisfy their egos/ self esteem)
-Ones who play to win, and will try to win even when they have almost no hopes. (Competitive ones who challenge themselves)

Sounds like to me, you play to win, but your the latter example.
Old December 30, 2003, 07:26   #30
Nubclear

Quote:
If it didnt you would still enjoy me owning you hard.
No. If you gave me a chance to have fun...Let me has some sort of struggle, however futile...I would have fun.
if I can bairly move my units around before you wiping me out, there is no pleasure.