Local Time: 15:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
China Should Make More Mistakes
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/29/in...ia/29SARS.html

Quote:
Chinese Diners Shrug Off SARS: Bring On the Civet Cat
By JIM YARDLEY

Published: December 29, 2003

GUANGZHOU, China, Dec. 28 — It was lunch hour at The First Village of Wild Food, and if anyone in the restaurant was worried that SARS might again be spreading in this city, they were not showing it. Huang Sheng was more worried about which of the small animals in black metal cages would become his midday meal.

Patrons could choose from species of fowl, two dark-haired pigs, a tiny species of deer or several fat rabbits. Nearby, butchers were skinning a flying fox as blood seeped onto the floor. Mr. Huang pointed at two wide-eyed civet cats, the small mammal that some studies suggest may have caused the original SARS outbreak.

"Very good, very good," Mr. Huang said of the civet's flavor. Asked if he worried about eating wild game in light of SARS, Mr. Huang said he saw no risk. "It's no big deal. It's not a problem."

For many in this south China metropolis, the disclosure that a local man was hospitalized with an illness that was suspected to be SARS brought the same reaction. Newspapers carried the story on front pages, yet very few people were wearing the surgical masks that were so common early this year when the World Health Organization warned travelers against coming to Guangzhou.

In interviews around the city, people agreed that SARS could again pose a genuine health and economic threat to the city. Yet, people also voiced confidence in the same government whose secrecy and inaction were blamed for the initial outbreak. It began in November 2002 with a single case not far from this city and within months had spread globally.

"This time, if SARS comes again, the government will handle it much better," said Xian Minxian, 33, a saleswoman. "It has experience."

If the suspected case here proves to be SARS, it would be the first in mainland China since July. Health officials in Beijing already have stepped up health screenings at air and train terminals, while Shanghai officials were also said to be taking measures. Other health departments across China also are increasing various health checks, state news organizations reported.

The patient, a 32-year-old freelance television journalist, remained quarantined in stable condition at local No. 8 People's Hospital. The state media reported that 42 people, including 32 medical workers, who have come in contact with the patient have also been quarantined, though none have developed fevers or other symptoms of SARS.

The patient was admitted to a hospital on Dec. 20, originally with his condition diagnosed as pneumonia. The state media reported that Chinese experts on Friday detected the SARS virus in one of his lungs. But other tests have been inconclusive. The World Health Organization has called for blood samples to be tested outside China. The organization, at the request of the Chinese Ministry of Health, is also sending a laboratory expert, who is expected to arrive in Beijing on Monday.

"The patient does not appear to be infectious, and he is recovering rather quickly," a leading Chinese SARS expert, Dr. Zhong Nanshan, told the state media. "It is not strange that a few cases of SARS should re-emerge, so there is no reason for people in the city to panic."

Here in Guangzhou, the capital of Guangzhou Province, health officials had already instituted a three-tiered alert system to raise public awareness. Local health officials steered questions to the National Health Ministry, but one local official said the current situation had not yet warranted the lowest alert status.

Outside the No. 8 hospital, Cai Guangkui, 27, was one of only a handful of people seen wearing a mask. He knew about the suspected SARS case and said he was wearing the mask because he was visiting a friend who worked in the hospital. Yet he pulled it down as he walked away and said he would not put it back on.

"I suspect SARS might happen again, but I think the internal measures are pretty good now," he said, referring to quarantining procedures.

Luo Aimen, 30, a migrant worker from Sichuan Province who now delivers newspapers in Guangzhou, also applauded the government, saying it had "learned a lesson before." He even took comfort in the clear skies. "The sun is shining and it will kill the virus," he said. "And the government will do good."

Medical officials cannot place confidence in sunny skies, though. Some experts have called on China to do more research into the possible animal links to the disease, noting the studies that suggest the disease may have jumped from civets to humans. Others have called for better regulation of wild-animal markets.

At the First Village of Wild Food restaurant, which is decorated in a Mao nostalgia theme, the wild game is kept downstairs. Patrons can select their animal or bird, then walk upstairs to the dining room. Butchers at cutting tables near the cages quickly kill and skin the animals. Blood and other fluids that spill onto the floor are washed with hoses into a drainage channel.

One chef, denying any connection between wild game and the disease, said the restaurant slaughtered and prepared meat the same way it did before SARS became a household word. He said Guangdong Province residents had a reputation for eating exotic foods, a taste not even SARS could deter.

"People have been eating this since the founding of the People's Republic of China," the chef said. "We're not worried."
Wow! China dropped the ball on SARS and the people now trust the government even more. It's certainly an impressive propoganda machine they have. Of course, I've heard the claim from students that SARS is never coming back.

[puts on tinfoil hat]Do you think that the Chinese feel safe to eat Civet cats and other such things, because they know that the virus was really created in a bioweapons lab? [takes off tinfoil hat]
Old December 29, 2003, 04:56   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Yet more proof that Japanese occupation was actually a GOOD thing.

Stupid Chinese will never realize how good they actually had it...
Old December 29, 2003, 06:36   #3
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:18
/me laughs at all the lame trolls
Old December 29, 2003, 06:39   #4
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 11:18
I never thought I'd post this.

Urban Ranger
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old December 29, 2003, 06:58   #5
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
* Urban Ranger laughs at all the lame trolls
Yeah, it's a "troll" when people mock your dumbass countrymen for helping to breed and spread a dangerous disease...

The propaganda machine works very well, it seems.
Old December 29, 2003, 07:23   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

You've spent waaay too much time in Japan.
Old December 29, 2003, 07:47   #7
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by shawnmmcc
I never thought I'd post this.

Urban Ranger
Well, it's not my best work , but there is something to be said about the unsettling aura of complacency here. This is the trap that Americans usually get caught in. "Oh, such things won't happen here." BOOM!!! China seems a bit strange in that the SARS outbreak happened less than a year ago and they already feel safe. A bit soon to be trusting a government with a tract record of making a mess out of disease prevention. In most western countries, there's a healthy distrust of the government especially after a major screw up. There may be some credence to my propoganda "theory." Hopefully mindseye will stop by to give us his take. He is quite good at contributing to these kinds of threads (I'm looking at you Tass ).
Old December 29, 2003, 07:51   #8
Nubclear

Quote:
(I'm looking at you Tass ).
You do not believe that the Chinese were treated like gods by the Japanese (and the Chinese subsequently treated the Japanese like dirt)???

You...you....YOU WHITE MAN!
Old December 29, 2003, 07:51   #9
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:18
shouldn't it be "chistake"?
Old December 29, 2003, 07:52   #10
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:18
Q: Was German occupation of East Europe a good thing for the people there, too?
Old December 29, 2003, 09:01   #11
VJ
King

A: Prob a pretty bad thing, since regardless of the treatment by Germans, most of them were randomly exterminated and sent to Siberia by Dhugashvili after the war.
Old December 29, 2003, 20:33   #12
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 10:18
i'd say it was a good thing, because the german language sounds so much nicer than polish. or russian. or czech. or slovakian. or greek.

now, finnish, on the other hand, that's a good language.
Old December 29, 2003, 20:58   #13
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
For me to POOP on!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 29, 2003, 21:04   #14
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:18
From reading the initial post, it appears that no one knows for certain that the disease comes from eating wild animals. That could be a partial explanation for the reason that no one is really concerned about eating them now.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:05   #15
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
For me to POOP on!
Oi maame suomi!!!!
Old December 29, 2003, 21:43   #16
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Stupid Chinese will never realize how good they actually had it...
Oh yeah, how so?
Old December 29, 2003, 22:30   #17
Nubclear

Well first of all, Japan made China the richest country in the world.
Second, Japan rid China of all it's impurities.
Heck, Japan gave the Chinese a standard of living even better than Japan itself. And now China hates Japan!
Old December 29, 2003, 22:56   #18
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:
Well first of all, Japan made China the richest country in the world.
Second, Japan rid China of all it's impurities.
Heck, Japan gave the Chinese a standard of living even better than Japan itself. And now China hates Japan!
Can you back that up?
Old December 29, 2003, 23:00   #19
Nubclear

Yes.
Old December 29, 2003, 23:07   #20
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:
Yes.
Ok, just checking.

I wasn't actually looking for details or anything, in case you were wondering...
Old December 29, 2003, 23:17   #21
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

Ok, just checking.

I wasn't actually looking for details or anything, in case you were wondering...
Fine, whatever.

Glorious Japan! - 2003 Japanese Studies International
Old December 29, 2003, 23:29   #22
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I love the Japanese language page, Tass.
Old December 29, 2003, 23:34   #23
Nubclear

Oh! I hear the webmaster just updated it a few moments ago, in fact.
Old December 29, 2003, 23:36   #24
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Ah, the joys of internet translation...

BTW, you should really encode that in Unicode, not Shift-JIS.
Old December 29, 2003, 23:37   #25
Nubclear

It's not like I run the webpage.
Old December 29, 2003, 23:42   #26
Drake Tungsten
Deity