Old December 29, 2003, 14:45   #1
Apple_The_Man
Settler

Local Time: 10:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Trading cities...
How come the AI never wants to trade cities???

After all, it is realistic.... The British traded a colony in India for the Louisbourg fortress with the French with I think it was the Treaty of Paris.....

When does the AI want to trade cities?
Old December 29, 2003, 14:48   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

never. this was in the original game and was exploited far too often, so they removed it.

the AI simply can't assess the value of a city accurately.
Old December 29, 2003, 19:17   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:18
Only used as a peace negotiation demand when you or the AI have the upper hand.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 29, 2003, 20:41   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:18
They won't trade it, but you may be able to get them to give it to you for peace.
Old December 29, 2003, 22:22   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
There's an interesting trick in extorting cities for peace: The ones that the AI civs WON'T give up surely have some kind of excellent resource, even if you can;t see it yet.

I also like extorting nearby cities to then give them to far-off AIs, so I can easily smack them around too.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old December 30, 2003, 04:15   #6
jordie
PtWDG Lux InvictaCivilization III MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
you can demand them early on. If you have enough power, and demand an AI's city close to it's construction, they will give it to you without fuss. Cause your sorta powerful and the newly founded city is small, no culture etc. the AI will more freely give into your demands.
Old December 30, 2003, 05:39   #7
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 16:18
its wierd that the AI can't assess the value of a city. In SMAC you could do it and not so often that it would ruin the game.
Old December 30, 2003, 13:35   #8
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 12:18
I never got a good city from the AI, just some far-away colonies or a small starting village... Considering some of my wars, I received sometimes a lot of them at once!
Old December 30, 2003, 14:06   #9
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

After slapping them around quite a bit (usually takes seizing at least 3-4 cities), I can usually get at least a city or two. If I press on, I can get as many as 3. I rarely find them willing to give any more than 3, but I'm sure it's possible.
Old December 30, 2003, 15:07   #10
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 08:18
I can usually squeeze a couple of cities out of the AI in a treaty after a good city snatching blitz, and depending on the year, I often find that they are on little far away islands I did not know existed.
Old December 30, 2003, 18:03   #11
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
I can usually squeeze a couple of cities out of the AI in a treaty after a good city snatching blitz, and depending on the year, I often find that they are on little far away islands I did not know existed.
The question is do you keep the far away island cities? Usually they are only one shield producing towns that never really do much for you. Do you keep them anyway? Just looking for what other players do in this situation.
Old December 30, 2003, 19:02   #12
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Now I always keep the tiny islands even though they are not worth a lot to me. I keep them primarily because rebasing distance for aircraft has been restricted in C3C and I never know if I will need those holdings later in the game as part of a hop to get my bombers somewhere. I haven’t actually used them for that purpose yet – pre patch I’ve haven’t gone for land grabs requiring that scale war on other continents - but that’s the theory behind it.
Old December 31, 2003, 12:19   #13
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 15:18
well i play a huge map 362x362 and i have a couple of those cities that are completly useless and the game reached the city limit 512 so when i find a new good place to build a city i have some villages to disband and build my city while the ai can't even phantom such a move. You ask the ai to give you a city as a demand if you are stronger i got one from the french and romans this way the roman city was in the middle of my cities so it was bound to fall at some point due to culture and i asked many times ceasar to give bu no he wouldn't to bad he went to war with an ai and got his ass kicked i moved my armies around the city and asked again surpries he gave it to me this time. They french just gave the moment i asked
Old December 31, 2003, 12:46   #14
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
its wierd that the AI can't assess the value of a city. In SMAC you could do it and not so often that it would ruin the game.
Are you kidding? It was INCREDIBLY easy to get good cities from the AI in SMAC.
Old December 31, 2003, 13:07   #15
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Do the units inside the city become the property of the new owner of the city when it is traded?
Old December 31, 2003, 14:15   #16
Kuciwalker
Deity

They are relocated to the capital of the civ that owned it before.
Old December 31, 2003, 15:06   #17
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

That can be used a speedy relocation method once in a great while.
Old January 9, 2004, 17:03   #18
ftrooper93
Settler

Those island/far off cities are good to keep for this reason. If you disband them, the land is free and someone else will settle it. If you keep it, build a temple only, you both deny the land to the other civs and the land mass total accrues to you for domination victories. If you have dom turned off but conquest on (like I play) it means you don't have to build or transport an invaision fleet later when teh new occupant of that land you abandoned gets in a fight with you (for what ever reason)
Old January 9, 2004, 21:39   #19
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

Are you kidding? It was INCREDIBLY easy to get good cities from the AI in SMAC.

I aggree i used to trade the cities that were about to build a secrect project so i get it, then i send a prob team to get my city back or wait for the guy to declar war on me, I think in the entire CIV series the AI always goes to war with you no matter what. Anyway i prepare my drop hovertanks and drop them to defend my city with the project
Old January 12, 2004, 11:18   #20
gunkulator
Prince

I tend to give away island cities to get something worthwhile in exchange. As someone noted, they tend to be just 1 shield cities that add to your total above OCN.

I personally always have trouble holding islands. They are favorite AI attack points and you can never reinforce them quickly enough. Of course you can do the same thing. A neat trick is to empty the city, camp outside the border, give it to an AI, declare war and then quickly retake it. A few turns later sue for peace to pick up some gold, tech, resources, etc. As long as you don't lose any cities or too many units in the war, the AI will think it is losing and you'll get good terms.
Old January 12, 2004, 12:42   #21
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:18
Quote:
Originally posted by gunkulator
I personally always have trouble holding islands. They are favorite AI attack points and you can never reinforce them quickly enough.
Gunkulator,

Just put enough units/workers in the Island City to occupy every square on the Island. The AI won't be able to attack your city (Unless it has Berzerks or Marines) because there's nowhere to 'land' the invasion force.

Perhaps this is a 'cheap exploit', but it will keep your Islands safe.

Steven
Old January 12, 2004, 13:38   #22
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

Just a very minor correction: all you need are enough units/ workers to cover every COASTAL square (at least until Berzerks, Marines or Paratroopers). You don't need to cover EVERY square.
Old January 12, 2004, 14:49   #23
gunkulator
Prince

Yeah, I've done the fill-every-coastal-square trick. It's kind of a cheat since the AI would never do it. However if the island has, say, 12 land tiles, that's 12 units tied up to hold a 1 shield city at a cost of either 12 gpt or 24 gpt (assuming republic in ptw or c3c). Add to that the cost to rush build and then maintain city improvements (harbor, temple, barracks) and it starts to get pricey.
Old January 12, 2004, 15:33   #24
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:18
Ah yes. I stand corrected, 'Coastal Tiles'.

It may be somewhat expensive, but you should have about that many Workers/Defenders on that island anyway (especially if there are Resources).

Don't think of it as '12-unit expense', think of it as the price of 'Island Defense'.

Steven
Old January 12, 2004, 15:47   #25
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Depending on the terrain, island size and how well roaded your empire is, when you see the ship coming you can use a handful (four or so) of fast moving units to rotate and follow the vessel along the shore to block potential landing points. This obviously only works if the AI is only sending a vessel or two, and for whatever reason, you don’t actually feel like letting them start a war by striking first – which is the only reason I’ve seen an AI place units on one of my islands that were completely covered by my civ’s culture.