Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

Local Time: 09:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I sent it off to Yoda this morning.
Old May 5, 2004, 00:31   #483
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 10:20
Rubin gets 2208, while I get my derrierre handed to me.
Old May 5, 2004, 06:44   #484
Rubin
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer

Local Time: 17:20
2208 to Net Warrior.

---

Global News Broadcast, M.Y. 2208:

Rubinic scientific staff has been completely taken by surprise. While wars may rage across the planet surface genocide is not tolerated. And genocide may well be what we are facing if we do not act now. The reason: Drastic Global Warming!

Geologists have found the first certain evidence that the polar caps are melting. Sea levels are predicted to rise at least 150 meters and much of the known land is soon submerged unless terraforming engineers start raising the endangered zones.

The Rubinites have hereby announced this global event. It seems clear that the Rubinites were not the first to discover the truth and CEO Rubin has expressed concern about the inhuman secrecy of our former friends and allies. It is uncertain when we shall experience the first dramatic flood.
Old May 5, 2004, 11:55   #485
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Sorry, I forgot to mention the message I received this turn:

Global Warming will cause sea levels to rise 200 meters over the next 20 years.
Old May 5, 2004, 21:40   #486
Net Warrior
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Gaians
King

Turn to Gaians
Old May 6, 2004, 19:28   #487
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

I really should post here right after I play the turn. Once again, it went off to Yoda this morning.
Old May 8, 2004, 01:08   #488
jtsisyoda
King

2209 to Rubin.

My atrocities that have brought on 662 years of sanctions may cause more global warming soon.

I may have to obliterate my last base next turn. It's been fun and a great learning experience. Thanks for being so fast with the turns. When do I get my revenge with Laptop II?
Old May 8, 2004, 05:35   #489
Rubin
staff

2209 to Net Warrior.

Regarding Laptop II: Playing with the three of you is very rewarding. The 'close to 1 turn/day pace' gives the game a good flow and my interest in the game has remained very high since the game start in January. Your commitment has been outstanding and it is a pleasure participating in this game.

I would be delighted to start Laptop II whenever you find the time to start again.
Old May 8, 2004, 08:50   #490
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

Because my other PBEM appears to be ready to fold, I can pick up another game. There will, however, be several week-long periods in June and July in which I will not be able to play. (A college reunion, taking kids to scout camp, etc.) If you can put up with those scheduled disappearances, I'd love to participate.

My sense is that our turn order has been pretty efficient. Do we want to play the same factions or switch to something with which we are less familiar? I'll do either.
Old May 8, 2004, 11:12   #491
jtsisyoda
King

Here are some ideas I'd be open to. I'm not super-attached to any of them, though, so we could do whatever.

Rotate the same four factions. I especially wouldn't mind PK's. Maybe Morgan, although I'm on the Morgan team in the new ACDG, and I'm finishing up another PBEM as Morgan, too.

Play as a team game from the start. Maybe Chip and I could team up, since our factions had a little feud early on. Also, we're not in any of the same PBEM's together (I'm in other games with Rubin and NW).

I've never tried a 100% land, 0% sea game before.

Or we could do a game with many, many small islands. The islands can be close together, so there is still a lot of land. It might be a fun land-grab situation.
Old May 8, 2004, 11:27   #492
Net Warrior
King

2210 to Gaians

All good ideas Yoda. I just took over a faction recently in BE2 and there the CMN set up the 3 AI factions into a 3 way pact. Another idea would be to ban the 4 factions from Laptop 1 to human players, just to get us away from our favorites. Teams would be interesting too. Let's hammer out the land/sea ratio 1st thing and take it from there.
Old May 8, 2004, 20:05   #493
jtsisyoda
King

Rubin, Chip, and myself could start LT2 any time, it appears. What about you, NW? Room for another PBEM yet?

Rubin and Chip, what do you say about land/sea/islands, teams or not, etc.?

To build on what NW said, maybe we could go in this order:
Decide on map characteristics.
Decide teams or no teams.
Decide on rules.
Pick factions.
Pick AI factions and decide how "buffed" they'll be.
Old May 8, 2004, 21:14   #494
Rubin
staff

Laptop II:
I have some rather strong preferences. These are: Large map, 50-70% ocean coverage, weak erosion, average cloud cover. Native life may be abundant if no human player controls the Gaians or Cult; otherwise average.

I fear playing on a huge map will take too long and momentum factions are seemingly penalized. I find standard maps a little too small--but I may comply if large map is problematic.

I find the map very important. Exploring the map is fun and I consider it a vital part of the game. (Of course, No Unity Survey should be enabled). A blend of larger landmasses, smaller islands, inland seas, etc. makes the game interesting to me.

I am a little reluctant to accepting pre-defined teams. In the early game there is less incentive to explore the map and technologies lose some of their value among other things. Overall, this reduces the options present. However, I have considered teams for a while. My conclusion is that the opposite, no cooperative victory, seems more appealing to me.

Random events should definitely be turned OFF! And I dislike the exploit of the stockpile energy bug. Spoils of war should be turned OFF too. No OBJECTIVE bases or other CMN tweaks as well.

The AI should have the Probe Cruiser available. Otherwise, I tend to leave the AIs as they are.

Regarding factions: Rotating factions is possible and I've been thinking of this for a while. However, choosing new factions is interesting too. The original seven factions present my preferred setup. In this case, the Hive or the Peacekeepers have my interest (and of course the Morganites). If Alien Crossfire factions are included I think only the Free Drones and the Cybernetic Consciousnees are viable for me. Based on the experiences of Laptop I I believe the Cybernetic Consciousness would suit me very well!

Is there anything we need to change in the current House Rules?
Old May 8, 2004, 22:03   #495
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

Turn to Yoda.

As for Laptop2, I'm willing to experiment with almost anything. I know very little about the new seven factions and will take a shot at anybody.

I wouldn't mind having Darsnan (or whoever) assign factions to the AI and to each of us ... so that I don't know who I am going to encounter until I do so. Cloud cover, native life, ocean surface ... use the default plus or minus 1 setting ... and you don't have to tell me in advance. I'll react to whatever I'm given.

Having said that, I have a mild preference for a standard-sized map. The larger maps tend to hurt the naturally aggressive factions. Of course, if you make me a passive faction, the larger the map, the better!

I agree with Rubin that we ought to let alliances happen as they may. I'll admit that, having thrown a hissy-fit at Yoda early on, I'm looking for an opportunity to work with him, but Laptop II may or may not be the time in which that works.

Rubin has shamed me out of using the stockpile energy bug. (I'm not even using it in my other PBEM.) When playing against the AI, I use blind research just to increase the challenge level. I could take it or leave it against you guys.

You figure out what you want ... and I'll play it.
Old May 8, 2004, 23:51   #496
Net Warrior
King

I also prefer the game conditions Rubin sites as strong preferences, especially, large map, no teams, no cooperative victory, 50-70% Ocean, and most definitely average native life.

So, let's get started.

I guess if we completely eliminate the 4 human factions from last game then we'd be hard pressed to find 4 suitable factions to play now. (I assume we are not allowed to play an alien faction) So, if we just make it that we can't play our last faction then I'd like to try the Free Drones this time out.
Old May 9, 2004, 14:36   #497
jtsisyoda
King

2210 to Rubin.

If we don't do teams, I prefer no co-op victory also.

I'm ok with those map settings. Undecided on factions. I'll get back to you on that.

Last edited by jtsisyoda; May 9, 2004 at 14:43.
Old May 9, 2004, 16:25   #498
Rubin
staff

2210 to Net Warrior.
Old May 9, 2004, 23:48   #499
Net Warrior
King

2211 to Gaians
Old May 10, 2004, 09:52   #500
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

It's off to Yoda.
Old May 10, 2004, 12:06   #501
Net Warrior
King

Attention former D:AP Federation members

It seems that we three have grown and prospered her on Chiron. CEO Rubin is in control of the 3 most important secret projects on the planet. Lord Chip controls several military and PSI enhancing secret projects and well as the largest standing army on the planet. I on the other hand have the most highly evolved infrastructure on the planet.

For many years now The Rubinites & The Gaians have been acting in concert. Presently we three are all approximately even and neither one of the three of us could stand alone against the other two. I therefore challenge both The Rubinites and The Gaians to a set aside their partnership.

Are you not curious to see which faction among us has the better fundamental philosophy? Curious to see which faction is indeed the fittest and has the right to survive? Curious to see which faction is 1st to achieve the honor of transcendence? Come now, I ask you both, do not shrink from this manly challenge.

President Net Warrior
The Unity Forces of Chiron
M.Y. 2211
Old May 10, 2004, 12:58   #502
jtsisyoda
King

Cool. Go for it!
I need a resend. I received an old map file.
Old May 10, 2004, 22:53   #503
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

Net Warrior: Nice try.
Yoda: Done.
Old May 10, 2004, 23:32   #504
jtsisyoda
King

2211 to Rubin.
Old May 11, 2004, 02:40   #505
Rubin
staff

2211 to Net Warrior.
Old May 11, 2004, 08:02   #506
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

My ISP is refusing to send email, so I'm responding to email here. I presume it will be functioning this afternoon.

Rubin: Yes, Yoda and I have discussed the end game. It will, for technical reasons, not happen until 2114.

Yoda: On behalf of all three of us, thank you. (I'm sure Net Warrior is wondering why I am thanking you on his behalf, but he'll just have to wonder.)

Rubin: I understand the problem.

Rubin: May I attempt a diplomatic solution before you proceed in that way?
Old May 11, 2004, 08:32   #507
Rubin
staff

Public InterComm Message, M.Y. 2211

To: Lord Chip of Gaia's Gentlemen

The intended initiatives have been temporarily paused until a proper response can be procured. Meanwhile, proceed as you see fit.

(Er, Chip you made me wonder why you are thanking Yoda on our behalf if Net Warrior has any reasons to wonder why you did so!?!!)
Old May 11, 2004, 19:13   #508
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

Email's back.
Old May 12, 2004, 21:46   #509
Net Warrior
King