Old January 7, 2004, 03:35   #31
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 10:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ogie, I understand the benefits you are touting for the land transports and I agree that they are not insignificant. My problem is more with getting too close to the limit of my 'willing suspension of disbelief' viz-a-viz the notion that some monstrous truck carries your units/troops/equipment for a whole year's worth of travel, and then, the units/troops/equipment take their own full move, another whole year's worth of travel. I realize that it is entirely analogous to a land unit starting its turn as a passenger on a sea transport and then taking another whole turn worth of its own movement on land afterwards (or vice versa), but somehow that seems more reasonable to me; I guess that's just where the boundary of the credible happens to be for me.

The whole time and distance thing in the game is not really scaled realisticly anyway and we manage to live with it. In the case of the transports, however, there are numerous anomolies - notably (but not only) that there is a lot of inconsistency about whether and where things can get on or off transports and whether or not they retain thier own movement afterwards - all these anomolies and inconsistencies make it seem like much of these abilities are unintentional and so are of dubious legitimacy. (It is even possible (sometimes) to load a land transport onto a sea transport, complete with its own load, so I guess you could have a 3 stage journey too - perhaps one could also cascade air and/or drop transports into this daisy chain somewhere too.)
Old January 7, 2004, 04:13   #32
Chaos Theory
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Gaians
Emperor

Local Time: 14:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
There's a glitch with one of the foreign versions of SMAX where every Locust of Chiron comes with the carrier deck ability. The result is that it lands on itself every move, and as you might have experienced with choppers, if you land a chopper on a tile not next to an enemy, the chopper's turn ends. Apparently this works for the gravship chassis as well. The result is that locusts would attempt to end their turns after every move.