Old December 31, 2003, 10:14   #1
McMeadows
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 17:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
hosting MP
I'm going nuts. I'm trying to host a MP session and I don't have a clue why it doesn't work. I closed my firewall (zone alarm) and there's no standard firewall active. The other player(s) are not able to connect to me.

I can join another game...

any suggestions?

Happy new year...
Old January 1, 2004, 00:26   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:25
Software fire-walls can close a port that may not reopen when you exit the fire-wall, or so I've heard.

Have you tried rebooting, immediately shut down ZA and then try to host?
Old January 1, 2004, 11:06   #3
McMeadows
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

tnx for the advice. Unfortunately, disabling Za and rebooting didn't solve the problem. I'm now wonderib if there's something else between me and the great wide open. And otherwise how I can manually open ports.
Old January 1, 2004, 17:24   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Is your computer connected directly to the internet (cable modem / dsl router)?

Do you have a high speed connection?

This is from the C3C Read Me:
Quote:
MULTIPLAYER:
For Internet Multiplayer, please be aware that only 1 player PER GAME can be behind an unconfigured and closed firewall! The player who is behind the firewall should join last since any players joining after them will not be able to connect.

With Multiplayer behind a Firewall, it is important that DirectPlay Port #2303 also be opened. This is a new port used with DirectX 9.0b and helps improve connectivity. Please see the manual for more information regarding the appropriate port addresses to open to allow game hosting. Please consult your routers manual to ensure that you are opening the ports correctly.
There is more information on pages 47 to 49 of the manual.
Old January 1, 2004, 18:15   #5
notyoueither
Deity

Got your PM, McMeadows. This might be helpful for others, so I am responding here.

How are you connected to the internet?

Are you trying GameSpy, or Direct IP?
Old January 2, 2004, 03:54   #6
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 16:25
When I try to host no-one can see my game name. If I absolutly need to host a game (say for the tourney) I have to use direct IP.

Host the game and launch it with no-one in it. Get your IP from www.whatismyip.com. Give your IP number to the person you want to join. They click on 'direct IP' in the multiplayer lobby (under join, refresh etc). They enter the number and hope
Old January 2, 2004, 11:06   #7
jeff76
Chieftain

probs
Hi,
I have also problems. Actually I can't host because no one sees my game. We tried with direct IP, didn't either (me hosting). When I try to join, it works up to the moment we lauch.. then crashes.

What I did :

Turn off : Anti-Virus, The built-in firewall of XP, and all the programs in the task list that are not system programs (all those bearing the user's name) I did this last thing just to be sure that a Firewall was not hidden among them.

Still the same problems...

I called my internet provider (Belgacom). I have a ADSL usb. Apparently there is no routers on this...

can someone help me

Jeff
Old January 2, 2004, 11:08   #8
McMeadows
Emperor

I know my ip and I've exchanged it with Jeff. Didn't work. In game or GameSpy, didn't matter both didn't work.
Jeff and me we both have ADSL.
Old January 2, 2004, 11:22   #9
jeff76
Chieftain

Forgot to say...
I tried with other people.. all the same.
And my Ping always appear as 0. Does that mean anything?
Old January 2, 2004, 11:26   #10
jeff76
Chieftain

The last solution seems for me that even thought I turned off the firewall... the prots stayed cloed. Does anybody know where to go in windows XP to go and open the ports and set them properly for C3C
Jeff
Old January 2, 2004, 12:54   #11
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

You need to consult your modem/router manual to find out how to open your ports. I have to type in http:/10.0.0.2 or something as that is the address of my router. I then get a html menu, but every make of modem will differ in what you have to do.

When someone tries to connect to your ip the host has to be in the multiplayer menu screen. To get to this screen, host a game, tick your ready box, and launch with no-one else in the game. This screen is where you choose land mass, climate and all that. Make sure the player slots are open (not closed or computer)

Generally you should not try to launch through gamespy. Always use the in game menus.

I think 0 ping means that something is not configured correctly. I have seen 0 ping players play fine however.

Jeff, have you both got the same patch number? Sorry I'm not much help. I can't even get myself configured correctly.
Old January 2, 2004, 19:21   #12
jeff76
Chieftain

Don't ask me why.. i acheived to join a game...

I read on thread about firewalls and routers that one player per MP game is allowed to be behind a firewall and that this person can't be the host. Plus this person has to enter last, as this firewall will prevent other players to join.

McMeadows : do you know ho to turn off the built-in firewall of Win XP ?

Hope to play a game beginning of the week if problems seems solved.

I found out that my IP adress might also be different form the one I gave you when we tried last time...

Maybe we should just try again.

I'll email you
JEff
Old January 3, 2004, 04:06   #13
~Vodka~
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:25
My friends and I have come to the conclusion that its an issue with the gamespy servers.. I am bahind a router and even with all the required ports open (I checked the official site, got all 3 of the necesary hosting ports) and all my software firewall ect, totally disabled, nobody can see my games.

This doesn't really suprise me, gamespy is notorriously shiddy when it comes to their worthless cash-hungry network -_-.

Another brilliant Idea from the think tank. Sure, why don't ya both come up. We'll put the prisioner on the honor system, have 'er guard 'erself.
Old January 3, 2004, 11:46   #14
McMeadows
Emperor

When I host my game is visible. I can launch off to the game set up and then loose contact with the other player. They don't seem to be able to connect to my game. Adn I'm left alone waiting....
Old January 3, 2004, 12:39   #15
jeff76
Chieftain

Does the 1.12 patch works on an enlish european version.. ? I mean that I bought C3C in Germany but installed it in English. Does then 1.12 patch works for me ?

maybe that's the problem
Old January 3, 2004, 14:41   #16
~Vodka~
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:25
On the official site (www.civ3.com) it has seperate patches for european versions of the game. I think there is a compatibility issue, yes.

Another brilliant Idea from the think tank. Sure, why don't ya both come up. We'll put the prisioner on the honor system, have 'er guard 'erself.
Old January 3, 2004, 16:23   #17
notyoueither
Deity

The different versions usually just change the text files. I wouldn't think that would cause your problems.
Old January 6, 2004, 07:02   #18
McMeadows
Emperor

My brother, a friend an me we all are in the dark about how to host. We're not all that happy we now all have broad band and Conquests, but still can't play together over the net.
I haven't seen any real solutions sofar. Civ is a great game, but I'm a bit dissapointed playing online is taking so much effort.