Old December 31, 2003, 11:19   #1
Odiedavid
Settler

Local Time: 15:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Having more civilizations on smaller maps
hiya, this is my first time on the fourm and i've been enjoying the game a lot, but i got a few questions

I wanna play against more civs to have a realistic world situation (lots of cross alliances in a world war scenerio)is it possible to have more than 7 civilizations while playing on a standard map? im getting Conquests tomorrow and im on PTW currently. Of course this could mean a mod. i dun want to play on any of the other larger maps cause they are just too big and takes too long to play in a 1 day sitting.
( i tried playing huge, but when my cities names became like beijing 7 and nanking 9, i just had to quit.)

im currently playing on regent level, but the AI seems to have advantages over me in diffculties above regent. is regent the only "fair game"?

and whats the main diffeerence i will see in the gameplay after the upgrade from PTW to C3C?

THANKS
Dave
Old December 31, 2003, 11:26   #2
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:25
You will need to use editor. In the editor, select custom rules, find world size and change the number of civs you want to play. I would not overwrite the .biq file -- just choose another name. Load that scenario when you want to play the "overcrowding civ conflict scenario"!

If you pick a very small world, it will be pretty mean fight at first! The first few turns are the best as civs are going down every other turn!
Old December 31, 2003, 11:34   #3
Odiedavid
Settler

how can i do that?

i never used the scenerio editor. i am messing with it now

can i generate a random map every time, but have more civs? cause i think i just made a normal map
Old December 31, 2003, 12:36   #4
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 10:25
If you change the rules but do not generate a map in the editor, it should generate a random map everytime you load the scenario in the game
Old December 31, 2003, 12:42   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

Just for fun, I just started a game with 31 civs on a Tiny map, 60% water Pangea (anything smaller and the start locations were right next to each other). I played the Celts, and my Gallic Swordsman army is sweet! An ancient era 4-attack 3-move blitzer is INSANE.
Old January 1, 2004, 13:22   #6
pauli
Prince

before you edit the rules, back them up. then save your new ones with the correct name, and just play an epic game. easier than loading a scenario, and you still get the palace (and the ever popular city view... er...).

oh, and i think the game is actually *more* interesting if civs spawn on top of each other:

a: it strongly encourages the player to be immediately vicious - sure people sneer at lebensraum now, but it can be a real issue!

b: you end up with something civ3 was supposed to have back before half of firaxis bailed and the game turned 90 degrees - both major and minor civilizations.

c: there's something very civilwar-esque about watching two civs fight with literally one tile separating their capitols.
Old January 2, 2004, 03:45   #7
Cerbykins
Warlord

And yes, Regent is the only 'fair' level. And even then, the AI cheats in trades
Having said that, you do many things better than the AI, and are able to think on a deeper level. If the AI did that, it's turns would probably be MUCH longer