Old December 31, 2003, 18:11   #1
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 09:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
{The List} The Polls so far
Realizing that some polls about hot topics have already left the top page, and that newcomers to the discussion seldom dig through the back pages in order to find out what's been discussed before, I've decided to compile a list of the Civ 4 List related polls.

I've abandoned keeping a running talley of votes, as it's a great deal of work that is immediatly outdated, and if you really were interested in the results you would visit the poll and read the comments.

Now... the polls:

Stacked vs. Single Unit Combat: The Battle Continues

Should units be stacked into "armies" that fight and operate as a single unit, or does moving them one at a time provide a boost to strategic considerations?

Resources: How to Handle

Is a system with stores and limits on resources a better simulation and more fun, or tedious micromangement?

From Civ 3 to Civ 4

More of the same, or a bold new direction for Civ 4?

Squares, Hexes, Octogons...

Pick your poison, the traditional Civ Map, traditional War Games map, or something else entirely.

Eras in Civ 4?

Is the new era system a great addition, or a stifling hindrance?

Espionage & Assymetrical Warfare

Does Bond get his own unit?

To 2000 AD or Beyond?

Civ, From the Ancients to the Stars; or Civ, The Whole of Human [b]History.[/] ???

{The List} United Nations

A resolution for change... do you Veto?

{The List} What Should Happen to Civ Traits?

Should Civ 4 have homogenous Civs or even more differences?

Terrain Improvements

"Give me Workers, or Give me Death" vs "Micromagement Gives me Death."

Nomads and Chiefdoms

Should Civ 4 let us wander the great wide open?

Civ 4 ideas - straights and canals

Do you want straigts? Or canals?

Civ 4 idea: Armies instead of units

Once again, armies or single units?

Healt in Civ 4?

Should we have sick Civs?

Emphasis on Age

Which historical era, if any, should get a boost in Civ 4?

Civ 4 resistance

Do you want partisans from Civ 2? Resistors from Civ 3? Or something new for Civ 4?

Fire and Movement
How should firepower and movement rates affect combat in Civ 4?

Stacking Limits Y/N

Assuming we have stacks, what sorts of stack limits should there be?

Improved Poll: When should Civilization IV end?

What is a good time for the game to end?

Future Techs in Civ 4

Which future era techs would you like in Civ 4?

What ARE wonders, anyway?

Well? What are they?

Pollution Managers

Would you like Pollution Managment added to city screen?

Tech Transmission

Here is some food for thought from Civfanatics.

Last edited by Fosse; July 21, 2004 at 17:19.
Fosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2003, 18:23   #2
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 00:26
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I think some of the polls can be a little misleading. For example, if I want the game to end a 2100 or 2200, should I vote for 2000 or 3000? What if I just want a couple "realistic" future techs? 2000 doesn't work for that anymore than 3000 does.

An example of a good poll is the espionage/asymetrical warfare one. It gives several clear, distinct choices that don't hide or ignore other possibilities.

As far as I'm concerned, almost any poll that only has two choices only warrants a banana vote.

jon.
joncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2003, 23:21   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:26
Good list Fosse

joncha- well, if a poll was popular, we can always redo it with a more sophisticated one later that better represents the views of the community
Old January 3, 2004, 21:31   #4
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
Low "voter turnover" is a pretty big problem. It would take at least 300 voters to reach even the minimum reliability of the results. I have no good idea how to solve this. Perhaps a dedicated page with all the polls would be good.
VetLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 08:33   #5
Lambiorix_be
Spore
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
Low "voter turnover" is a pretty big problem. It would take at least 300 voters to reach even the minimum reliability of the results. I have no good idea how to solve this. Perhaps a dedicated page with all the polls would be good.
I agree. The success of a poll can be measured by the number of votes compared with the number of reviews. If your poll has let's say 300 reviews but only 15 votes then maybe the poll isn't that good..
Lambiorix_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 18:05   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

I agree. the only way for a poll to really tell us anything is if over 50 people vote on it... any less than that, and its results are really just a drop in a fountain.

By the way, thanks ming for topping this thread!
Old January 25, 2004, 11:07   #7
yellowdaddy
Prince

my poll replies:

Stacked vs. Single Unit Combat: The Battle Continues

single.

but really, i'd like to see a complete overhaul of the battle process.
retire the old square-on-square "action" and introduce a new zoom in battle screen with blue and red dots (and why not other colours for multi-civ battles?!)
dots for soldiers, and other monochrome shapes for different kinds of units. with editable formations, strategies and tactics, options like pincer attack, guerilla, mongolian style feigned cavalry retreat etc..
old Amiga games like Deuteros and North and South.

Resources: How to Handle

quantities, yes.

prices, yes - lets have some semblance of a real goods, commodity and resource market, where trade has some real meaning to civilisations, and where military conquest isn't the only way to acquire them.

I wonder whether, once the civs have become advanced, that companies, multinationals couldn't exist - another layer of intrigue?

From Civ 3 to Civ 4

radically new - I think it's a cheek to just repackage the same game over and over, as they have been doing with Civ 2 and Civ 3 versions. a lot of people are trying to make games that they hoped Civ could be out of dissatisfaction - surely Civ-makers could take the hint, look at their most likely consumers and see what kind of game they want to buy.

having said that I think Civ4 should be something along the lines of a merger between Civ 3 conquests and SMAC with a bit of Sim city and wargame thrown in.

Squares, Hexes, Octogons...

squares

I appreciate that hexes make a nicer map, but they only offer 6 directions, as opposed to eight. and I think the SMAC map offers the right direction to go in with a hilly 3diso-map of squares.
A sphere (like in Civ:Test of Time) would be nice.
and I want much bigger maps than are currently available - I would definitely sacrifice graphic quality for a massive map and a lot more civs at once.

Eras in Civ 4?

lose the eras (except for choosing when you start the game)

a bit meaningless really - they're only a historians way of dividing up history, and they only make sense if most of the world is in the same "era".
bin these along with civ specific graphics (i.e.; faces and units).
Eras could be worth having as a way of choosing which point in history you start, and thus which standard civs you can be.

Espionage & Assymetrical Warfare

definitely

include multinationals and trade war, religious and political stuff, gives more dimensions than just bomb and build.

To 2000 AD or Beyond?

beyond

without a doubt.
i can't understand why anyone would want to stop at 2000AD - I want to take my Civ into the solar system and the galaxy! (Civ TOT!)

United Nations

radical

I think it should mean something, I'd like a bit more geo-politics and meaningful diplomacy.

What Should Happen to Civ Traits?

retain and add.

I'd like to be able to edit them, and make them the main diffference between civs - not those stupid 3d faces.
I want to design my own flag and currency and language and names for things (geographical features and cities)

Terrain Improvements

tricky one.

Public works are best I suppose. I like managers and to have an overall strategy e.g.: i want my country to be a big maritime player or a leading industrial nation, and for works to be directed.

I'm not too keen on settlers! i wonder what could be done to replace them - have a scout stick a flag down and instruct citizens to migrate.... lots of little dots for buildings so that Cities can be varying sizes and shapes, and merge into each other or be partially destroyed by natural disasters

NO MORE CITY SQUARES!
yellowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 18:40   #8
DarkSlayer
Settler

I disagree on the entire list ... here is why...

Stacked VS Single unit combat:
What if I want more leaders/armies, more combining units in such stuff.
What if I want single unit combat, but with alot of administrative functions in the game to move units faster and better around

Resources...
This is silly... choose between colonization and civ style ... keep them separated. Civ is not Col and vice versa ... be more creative

From civ 3 to civ 4
What do you mean... I want a radical new game, 3d-models, new functions to administrate large number of units and workers, and their actions, get rid of waiting and hour long turns, adjustable resolution, zooming, etc etc ... but the game in itself cannot be that different... we are talking civ here ... not anything else

bla bla bla .... there is so much noncense in these treads, keep it civ - not anything else. Civ 4 will only be 10% different from Civ 3 - not a brand new game, not resembeling civ at all. AND, the game has to simplistic -thats civ
DarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 10:43   #9
yellowdaddy
Prince

dark slayer.

I think most people who like CIv would like to to evolve into a much bigger deeper game, you might not, but that's you.
as for radical ideas - i'm sure there are degrees of how radical a change people want, but another verissimilitudinous civ game is certainly pointless, and not worth buying.
yellowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2004, 09:45   #10
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Can you please add the stacking limit thread?

This is different from the other stacks thread as it specifically concerns the desirability or not of a limit on numbers in a given tile irrespective of stacked groups a la CtP.
Old February 17, 2004, 10:49   #11
Fosse
King

Your poll is added. I'll normally get a chance to update every two or three days, so a poll going 12 hours without being listed here shouldn't be uncommon. If it goes longer than that, though, let me know as you did and I'll get on it.
Old February 17, 2004, 10:57   #12
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Cheers mate! I wasn't implying you were being lax, far from it. Your efforts are appreciated. This is easily the most interesting forum on Poly at the moment.
Old July 21, 2004, 15:57   #13
Trifna
King

Local Time: 23:26
You can now add http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=119042 which is a poll I created about tech transmission. It's a shame I forgot the possibility of MOO3 tech treaties though...
Old July 21, 2004, 17:21   #14
Fosse
King

Added. I've let this thread lapse of late, and am not activly updating the first post when I see polls. The reason is that I got tired of posting links to polls that vanished in a day or two.

Feel free to give me a heads up as Agathon and Trifna did if you want the link posted and I haven't done it.

Keep up the polling, guys!
Old July 21, 2004, 22:12   #15
DarkCloud
staff

Thanks for your efforts in keeping up this list Fosse!

--
Any chance you might be interested in writing up a summary of the # of votes for The List?
Old July 21, 2004, 22:40   #16
Fosse
King

I tried doing that once, posting the results weekly in this thread. It was awful. I wouldn't be against doing a quick and ditry analysis of what I see in the results of the threads with the most respondants if people think they would like to see that.

If anybody wants to help compile a bunch of results, that would of course be wonderful.

I'll mull it over for a day or two, DarkCloud.
Old July 22, 2004, 11:43   #17
DarkCloud
staff

Oh, I remember you did the results weekly, that took a lot of work and was outdated quickly, I agree- but a final summary when everything is said and done (IE Rough Draft Aug 15 Due Date) could be slightly useful.

It all depends on what you're willing to do
Old July 25, 2004, 10:59   #18
blackgryffin
Call to Power MultiplayerMacCall to Power PBEM
Warlord

if there was only one thing to change in CIv, it would be the AI's behaviour !!!
Old August 12, 2004, 17:52   #19
Trifna
King

Would it be useful if we pointed out polls? If we are many doing it, it may make things easier. Anyway, here's one:

How many civilizations in a game, major and minor:
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=118577
Old January 5, 2005, 19:28   #20
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:26
Please add my urban sprawl poll. In ctp2, city radius increases with population. http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=127771

Plagues and population decrease add another dimension. This makes spacing cities even more strategic than in civ3.
realpolitic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2005, 18:22   #21
Trifna
King

Important poll: What Government model do we want in Civ 4?

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=127467
Old February 19, 2005, 17:40   #22
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Intelligence model in Civ4
Infinite railroad movement in Civ 4?
Weather wars
Liberal and Conservative Democracies
Worker verus Public Works?
High Theory: Government or Guiding Spirit? (or, Nations or States?)
Civ 4-idea TACTICAL BATTLES like in MOO2
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 12:05   #23
greyburrow
Settler

UN Victory: Modification
I'd like this option: When the AI achives a majority in the UN vote you can reject the results, all other AI tribes delclare war on you, if you last 20 turns there is another vote, repeat if necessary.
greyburrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 13:58   #24
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Don't you think that belongs to a separate thread or at least a thread coping with that issue?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 20:07   #25
greyburrow
Settler

Yeah. I tried to add it to the "UN Poll" thread, when it ended up here I tried to delete it, lacked authority, and decided not to post it again as a new thread, 'cause I felt stupid.
greyburrow is offline   Reply With Quote