Old January 3, 2004, 17:01   #31
Antrine
Prince

Local Time: 15:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well it seems like it time to have 'sets' of fair, reasonable and even wonderful maps that one can blindly or not so blindly scroll through or randomly chosen from at start-up. Some game folder full of acceptable maps.
I'll send you elsewhere
Antrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 06:42   #32
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 17:28
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I had one resource deplete and reappear last night. So it seems to still work as it alwyas has, but just less frequently. This game was just hitting the modern era and that was the first one.
maybe Firaxis made it less frequent because of the resource scarcity... because now it can really break you if a resource would deplete, before there was always another resource pretty near

on the sidenote I must say that although I enjoy less resources it seems that itīs really bad for the AI.
In my cirrent game as the arabs (huge map, emp level, 16 civs, everthing else random) there really is only me and two AIs that will have anything to do in the end game (iīm in industrial age now), the AI simply canīt compete for resources as good as a human can, and that is pretty boring.
Your method equals wipe out
Fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 13:23   #33
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 09:28
Quote:
what i'm saying is, that's representative of the other resources on the mainland - on the island, i could actually count them, but elsewhere they are about the same. russia is sitting on a VAST field of diamond mines, the central jungle has great big jets of dyes shooting up out of the ground, well over a dozen grapes are spread around the west coast, and you should SEE the elephant herds all over. i've got four or five horses, just in my core cities. iron? everywhere. there's even copious amounts of saltpeter.

i'm not anticipating much difficulty when i go looking for coal.
IIRC the map generator gets too resource-happy when it's making a very large map, or it gets to where you've got huge, long runs of one terrain or resource or another. (For example on a 360x300 map you'll find a long run of Grassland with 7 or 8 cows lined up on it).