Local Date: November 2, 2010
Disgruntled Apple users get vocAL
It's been a while.

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5134...l?tag=nefd_top

Quote:
Disgruntled Apple users get vocal as Macworld looms
Last modified: December 31, 2003, 3:25 PM PST
By Reuters

Can a few bad apples--like product-quality complaints and potential lawsuits--spoil the bunch for loyal fans of Apple Computer ahead of their biggest party of the year?

As enthusiasts devoted to Apple prepare to descend on San Francisco next week for the annual Macworld conference, at least two online petitions have collected hundreds of signatures from potential plaintiffs seeking to file lawsuits over claims of defects in the iBook laptop.

Another growing source of complaints surrounds Apple's wildly popular iPod line of digital music players, which many enthusiasts believe will get an upgrade at Macworld with the introduction of smaller, less-expensive models and a range of case colors.

In California, a lawsuit seeking class-action status is expected to be filed in January against the company over the claim that Apple's warranty does not run long enough to cover problems with the player's battery.

Apple has won raves over the years for its sleekly designed computers. The company, with a market share of around 2 percent, is able to command higher prices, due in part to Apple machines being perceived as more secure and reliable than PCs running Microsoft's Windows operating system.

Taken together, both consumer campaigns against a company that prides itself on high standards for design and engineering threaten to cast a shadow over Macworld, historically a forum for Apple and its charismatic leader, Steve Jobs, to showcase new products and innovations.

An Apple representative declined to comment on questions concerning pending litigation and claims of defective computers.

Users of Apple's iBook have been reporting problems with their iBooks in increasing numbers in the last few weeks, according to Ric Ford, president of MacIntouch, which runs the MacIntouch.com Web site, an independent site for Mac users.

But Ford attributed the increased chatter more to the fact that some users have narrowed in on the cause of the long-standing problems rather than the impending start of the Macworld show.

"I don't think it's really related to Macworld," Ford said. "I think the problems have been there, but people are starting to understand the source of the problems."

The difficulties stem from the iBook's logic board, or motherboard, users say in discussion forums and on message boards--including boards on Apple's own Web site. Many users report that replacement units have the same problems with display and video output.

Most of the complaints pertain to a particular iBook model with dual USB ports, and many users say the problems started to show up just after the computer came out of warranty.

One of the petition sites, BlackCider.com, which uses as its logo an apple with a screw run through it, has 408 signatures from potential lawsuit participants.

Site owner Michael Johnson also offers T-shirts with the site logo on front and "Ask me about my logic board" on back.

The other Web site, created by Brendan Carolan at PetitionOnline.com, has collected 850 signatures and calls on Apple to either extend the iBook warranties or offer a replacement.

Neither Johnson nor Carolan were immediately available for comment.

The claims of problems have also extended to the company's higher-end PowerBook line. Macworld magazine, in its December issue, said that because of defects, it had to return three of six 15-inch aluminum PowerBook G4s it had ordered for testing purposes.

Meanwhile, a video making the rounds of the Internet shows a man spray-painting the message "IPod's unreplaceable battery lasts only 18 months" on iPod posters.

The filmmaker, Casey Neistat, said in a note on his Web site, ipodsdirtysecret.com, that he decided to make the film after his unit essentially died in September and he was told the battery could not be replaced. Subsequently, Apple has begun offering a $99 battery replacement service.
Where does all the money go??
Old January 2, 2004, 04:43   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:29
In class action, did you bold ass to make a point or not?
Old January 2, 2004, 04:44   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:29
I haven't decided, it just seemed like the thing to do when I saw my typist at the word.

As a side note/aside/tangent/appendix/sur-index-page, my friend bought a 15" Aluminum Powerbook and had it returned for a "defective" battery (lasts only 2 hours), white spots/pools of brightness all over the screen, and a ****ed up light sensor that never really worked.
Old January 2, 2004, 04:47   #4
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Evil Evil Apple....

....Steve Jobs is Satan's own agent upon God's green earth. Soon he'll have us all wearing mock turtlenecks... and then the Apocalypse will be upon us.
Old January 2, 2004, 04:48   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

If you willingly contribute to a thread while admitting you've never read the original post to get the content of the thread, your post is considered as spam.

Hopefully our moderating staff can identify the problem and terminate the pest.
Old January 2, 2004, 05:04   #6
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

IPODS CAUSE CANCER!!!
Old January 2, 2004, 05:15   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Doesn't make you look good Agathon
Old January 2, 2004, 05:17   #8
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:29
Quote:
If you willingly contribute to a thread while admitting you've never read the original post to get the content of the thread, your post is considered as spam.

someone stole ashers account!!!!

as for the article, it looks like they caught on to Microsofts marketing scheme.

Old January 2, 2004, 05:22   #9
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

MS' quality improves, Apple's goes down.

Compare WinXP to Win9x.
Old January 2, 2004, 05:26   #10
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Doesn't make you look good Agathon
Pointless trolling is against the rules as well Tass.

If this is about the ipod battery thing, it's fraudulent. The guy who made the movie is a fraud. You can buy replacement batteries for 50 bucks at ipodbattery.com

Of course some people think that a lithium battery should last forever, but they are the sort of people who believe in perpetual motion machines.

If it's about the ibook lawsuit. Those people have a case. There are bad logic boards on one (now discontinued) line and it is Apple's responsibility to replace them. If they don't they should be sued.

But of course according to some lunatics APPLE IS EVIL!!!
Old January 2, 2004, 05:30   #11
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:29
apple is evil. all of the later oregon trail games are only for apple
Old January 2, 2004, 05:30   #12
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
If this is about the ipod battery thing, it's fraudulent. The guy who made the movie is a fraud. You can buy replacement batteries for 50 bucks at ipodbattery.com
That doesn't make him a fraud, it makes you a fraud for lying about it. Apple doesn't tell people to buy third party batteries. And until this movie was out and public, it was $199 to get your iPod battery replaced officially through Apple. And now it is $99 due to the public backlash. You can get third party ones for $49...but that's not the point.

His movie was made about the official response he got from Apple (hell, it was recorded). You seem to have a MAJOR problem with the concept of time -- both in this case and in the iTunes-deletes-your-files case. In both cases, Apple did something extraordinarily dumb, there's lots of bad publicity for them, then they chage their minds. Then the blind followers say "No, that's not the case, see it's cheaper than he says!" after Apple cuts the prices in response to the backlash. I'm not sure if that demonstrates your lack of mental capacity or your "evil" intents to lie to everyone (one may call you a fraud, actually...)

Quote:
Of course some people think that a lithium battery should last forever, but they are the sort of people who believe in perpetual motion machines.
Li-Ion batteries last a helluva lot longer than 18 months unless they're the biggest pieces of shits you can get. Apple uses cheap components and charges high prices, no news here...

Quote:
But of course according to some lunatics APPLE IS EVIL!!!
If this is a reference to me, I've never called Apple evil.

I merely think the people who spend so much money on such POS products need to re-assess their situation.
Old January 2, 2004, 05:57   #13
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
apple is evil. all of the later oregon trail games are only for apple
I think you might have a case there.

About the ipod battery thing. I came across this the other day - it's an email discussion between the complainant and a guy who offered to host his video. You can make up your own mind.

http://das.doit.wisc.edu/neistatoriginal.txt
Old January 2, 2004, 06:04   #14
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

http://das.doit.wisc.edu/neistat.txt

Quote:
In September of 2003 the battery in my first generation ipod would hold a charge for no longer than one hour. I brought the iPod into the Apple store in Manhattan for repair and was told they do not currently offer a battery replacement program and my best option was to buy a new ipod. I then called the Apple Care 800 number regarding this issue and was told the same. I then sent my ipod to the Apple Executive office addressed to Steve Jobs with a note explaining my situation and requesting a replacement battery. The Apple Executive office contacted me via telephone to explain that Apple does not repair or replace dead ipod batteries and that it was policy of the company to recommend to the customer to purchase a new ipod when the battery fails. I then looked into and purchased a third party replacement battery, this battery was not endorsed by Apple. After the complicated installation my ipod did not work at all, even when it was plugged in. I then purchased a new ipod for $400.00.

In response to this my brother Van and I made the short film "iPod's Dirty Secret" After we finished production of the film, but not necessarily in response to it, Apple began offerring a battery replacement program for the ipod for a fee of $99 and an extended warranty for the ipod for $59.

We think Apple's new policy is fair. Our movie is a documentation of our experience.
Yeah, Agathon, the man's a fraud.

Be thankful people like him keep Apple honest (well, relatively). If all people were pushover power-bottoms like yourself you'd be paying a lot more than you are now (though you'd still be paying too much)...
Old January 2, 2004, 06:32   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

In response to this article on another site...
http://www.aceshardware.com/forum?read=105061653

Quote:
There is an odd phenomenon concerning Macs.

If you work with a lot of them, you come to understand they have quirks at best and severe flaws at worst.

If you only work with one, and someone does all the maintainance for you, you love them.

Thus is the plight of net admins who speak out about Mac flaws, will be flamed by single system users.

I ran 180 macs on a WAN, and I realized that if we had been using any other platform, I would not have been able to stay on top of them by myself. But at the same time, constantly running into flaws such as the undocumented flaw of USB printer sharing being incompatible with DHCP, and older models' appletalk grabbing the printer port when the network went down.

Every generation has had it's trouble, like my 1Ghz G4 has with my HP all-in-one.

The worst problem of all? Seek technical help for a problem on any forum, and 20 apple zealots will jump up to say Macs are the coolest and no technical problems exist.

Watch the responses to this post. 1/3 will tell me I'm dumb because I didn't use the secret key combo shift-command-s-tab. The other 1/3 will talk about how bad windows is in comparison. 1/3 will be outright attacks on me.

There will be no solutions posted.
Old January 2, 2004, 09:37   #16
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 10:29
So this guy bought another IPOD for another $400. What a dork!

I'm tempted to say more about his (lack of) character, but I wont.

Did apple change the i-tunes deleting your files bullshit? I must have missed the news.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 2, 2004, 11:14   #17
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:29
YAY! First geeky pissing contest of the year!
Old January 2, 2004, 12:07   #18
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 16:29
Hmm... I think I see a pattern here.

Apple does not sell mass market - Apple sells to those with more money than brain cells.

Is it any wonder they scream for the lawyers when Mac doesn't perform their every wish?

I bet MS wish they had Apple's customer loyalty... although personally I wouldn't ever bother getting an Ipod. For that price I could make my own.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old January 2, 2004, 17:28   #19
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
although personally I wouldn't ever bother getting an Ipod. For that price I could make my own.
Old January 3, 2004, 00:44   #20
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

The current moderating staff seems to wholly approve of this behavior. I welcome this glorious new age of spam! I knew its time would come.
Old January 3, 2004, 00:52   #21
Nubclear

Quote:
Pointless trolling is against the rules as well Tass.
Yet I still stand here. What does THAT tell you?
Old January 3, 2004, 00:56   #22
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 17:29
That you're not trying hard enough =)
Old January 3, 2004, 00:57   #23
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Yet I still stand here. What does THAT tell you?
Old January 3, 2004, 01:04   #24
Nubclear

Their bald!
Old January 3, 2004, 01:36   #25
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:29
I still use my ipod regularly. The battery doesn't last as long as when it was "fresh", but the product is still decent for me.

I am dissapointed though. I'm going to wait and make sure a bit more, next time. My imac still works great - no complaints at all there.
Albert Speer
Old January 3, 2004, 02:50   #26
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

apple, and all mods using/associated with apple products suck.
[/asher]