Old January 3, 2004, 02:36   #1
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
When do we start playing?
Now that the beta patch is out, does anyone have any idea what the timetable is for when we'll start playing our first C3C AU game (presumably the Power of Seafaring game)? I'm not in the hugest of hurries since I'll be away from home (and from Civ) for a few more days visiting relatives, but I'm a bit curious since I'd expected it to start almost as soon as the patch came out.

Nathan
Old January 3, 2004, 08:09   #2
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:31
I'm also looking forward to the first C3C AU game, but I think that it should - for 'marketing' purposes - be coupled with at least a rudimental new version of the AU mod (and the possibility to play under AU mod rules).

I don't know how many changes alexman still wants to squeeze in the first version of the mod, but I could live with a version that includes just the changes yet voted and agreed upon (naturally, without the changes 'under consideration').
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Last edited by lockstep; January 3, 2004 at 08:51.
Old January 3, 2004, 14:32   #3
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

If details of Power of Seafaring have not been hammered out, I'd love to put a vote in for Spain. Man I love those guys.

I'd like to get playing also, but we might be getting a beta update on the 10th, IIRC, to fix the fix for the FP - maybe around then would be a good time?
Old January 3, 2004, 22:02   #4
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 08:31
I was strongly opposed to starting an AU game before the first patches, but I wouldn't oppose starting before the Jan 10th patch (which I suspect will come sometime after Jan 10). The 1.12 BETA patch, IMHO, makes it less interesting to expand aggressively or conquer a large landmass, but I suspect it puts the human and AI on quasi-equal footing in terms of inherent potential advantage regarding corruption (IOW, I personally don't see it as a radical departure from the 'intended' civ even though a true 'distinct core' is nerfed or at least hobbled, and I also suspect that it has less overall positive / negative effects on AI interactions that might make a game too out of the ordinary to learn and apply).

Long-winded-ness now over, I'd abstain from voting regarding (but not oppose) a game immediately (and would play that game if favored by others), and would also be content to wait until mid-January for the first C3C game.

Catt
Old January 4, 2004, 03:53   #5
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:31
If the patch is due on the 10th, we might as well wait another week. The Power of Seafaring game is ready anytime, though.

Dominae
Old January 5, 2004, 11:14   #6
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 07:31
Personally, I would like to wait for the 1st official patch. However I fear interest in AU is waning because we haven’t actually played anything yet.

I say put it to a new vote.
Old January 5, 2004, 13:01   #7
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep
I don't know how many changes alexman still wants to squeeze in the first version of the mod, but I could live with a version that includes just the changes yet voted and agreed upon (naturally, without the changes 'under consideration').
I no longer have any desire to squeeze anything into the first version of the mod. I have come to terms with the fact that it will take a long time to address all the issues that we dealt with in the PTW version, so the first 'complete' C3C version will definitely not be out any time soon. We might as well test the changes that have been accepted as soon as the first AU game comes out.
Old January 6, 2004, 05:59   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Damn shame that this took so long I am back in the swing of a new year of work and likely miss out again....

Where did this info on the new patch date come from?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 6, 2004, 09:07   #9
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Where did this info on the new patch date come from?
Jesse posted it here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=105283
Old January 7, 2004, 21:20   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'd vote wait for the official patch. I've had some fun messing about with epic games in the interim, but, I dunno, we have to think about posterity or something. What if someone, post-patch, wanted to go back and play this first AU C3C game? We can wait a little bit.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old January 7, 2004, 23:09   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Do you mean the Junish final or just a solid beta patch?
Old January 8, 2004, 12:21   #12
Tassadar500
Emperor

Alexman, can you send me a PM with all the changes so far in the AU Mod? I would like to wait for the official patch when most of the current bugs are hammered out. Hopefully, some things in the AU Mod will be set and we can use version 1.0
Old January 8, 2004, 12:39   #13
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

Your PM box is full, but the changes are listed in the second post of the AU mod thread (follow my signature).
Old January 8, 2004, 17:56   #14
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Do you mean the Junish final or just a solid beta patch?
Sounds like we only need to wait until early March for the official patch.

edit:

My attempt to link didn't exactly pan-out. Jesse started a 1.13 thread on the Conquest page and also stated the official patch would be late Feb.
Old January 8, 2004, 20:34   #15
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

I meant the final BETA patch, which Jesse says will be next Friday, 1/16.

The big concern will be whether the corruption model in that BETA will be maintained in the final patch, but I can live with that. Heck, if need be, we can re-play the course.

(Interesting idea to offer up to Jesse, btw: If Firaxis is still really torn up about which way to on corruption, which it seems they are... what if AU played out its first C3C course with half of the people using the PTW corruption model and half using the C3C BETA 1.14 model? We could invite a bunch of the CFCers and other site pros in on it too.)
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old January 8, 2004, 21:17   #16
Tassadar500
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I meant the final BETA patch, which Jesse says will be next Friday, 1/16.

The big concern will be whether the corruption model in that BETA will be maintained in the final patch, but I can live with that. Heck, if need be, we can re-play the course.

(Interesting idea to offer up to Jesse, btw: If Firaxis is still really torn up about which way to on corruption, which it seems they are... what if AU played out its first C3C course with half of the people using the PTW corruption model and half using the C3C BETA 1.14 model? We could invite a bunch of the CFCers and other site pros in on it too.)
I happen to like this idea very much. Not only will the AU be advertised due to this but we would be helping the speed and quality of the next Beta Patch. If no one has any major objections to this I will send a PM to Jesse.
Old January 8, 2004, 23:10   #17
ducki
King

I'd rather we did half on 1.14(which is supposed to be a return to PtW-style) and half on 1.12(which Jesse and Soren have been quoted as saying was the way it was meant to be all along).
Old January 9, 2004, 21:14   #18
Theseus
Emperor

ducki, from my understanding, here is what we've got in terms of coruuption models:

* Vanilla/PTW - Two cores.
* BETA 1.12 - Broken
* BETA 1.13 - Higher OCN

I am anticipating that Firaxis may be intending to keep the 1.13 model for 1.14 and perhaps the final patch, and suggesting that we have a week to help them decide.

Old January 9, 2004, 21:42   #19
ducki
King

Ah, according to posts elsewhere, 1.14 was to be a return to PtW - two cores - with a note that this was due to feedback, as the 1.13 version was the original intended model.

Either way, I'm just glad the gpt thing is fixed and there's progress, not to mention actual public releases of the beta patches. I'll play with whatever is decided upon here.

(It's possible the 1.14 pre-release notes were bogus, or even that I misread them.)
Old January 9, 2004, 22:02   #20
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I recall seeing that PtW was as intended, and that sorting this all out has more to do with layers of code and sorting them all out than anything else.

btw, could someone let me know when you start the next scenario? I don't check in here much and am looking for something a bit different from the old random epic games on my own. AU sounds like it might hit the spot.
Old January 9, 2004, 22:38   #21
Theseus
Emperor

No problem, nye. When the first AU C3C game goes up (post BETA 1.14, seems to be the thinking), I'm hoping that we launch a PR salvo.

Speaking of which, NM...

Old January 10, 2004, 10:14   #22
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:31
after patching with 1.13, every city in my game had less corruption (i had to go to every city view and realign the people).

my capital lost the last unproductive shield (going from 39 to 40 shields), all other cities were at least a bit better. the FP city was nearly perfect (corruption around 10%) and the useless larger cities actually got better too (thanks to the max 90% corruption idea).

until now, this corruption model is my favorite! but i can understand a lot of people wanting the 2-core-system come back because they're used to it!
Old January 10, 2004, 16:20   #23
Tassadar500
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
No problem, nye. When the first AU C3C game goes up (post BETA 1.14, seems to be the thinking), I'm hoping that we launch a PR salvo.

Speaking of which, NM...

The scenario is ready to go whenever. But the question is when to play it? The final patch or 1.14?
Old January 10, 2004, 16:23   #24
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

as AU isn't really competitive, why don't you launch it soonish and everyone can chose their favorite way to play it?
Old January 10, 2004, 16:36   #25
Tassadar500
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
as AU isn't really competitive, why don't you launch it soonish and everyone can chose their favorite way to play it?

I speak for myself when I say this but I personally would find it more fun if everyone played the same way for comparison reasons.
Old January 16, 2004, 09:24   #26
alexman

Here's what I just learned: There will be no more beta patches, except for 1.15Localization, out "ASAP", which fixes some issues on non-US versions.

1.15 is the last patch, until the end of February.

So let's start the game already!
Should we give one week for the word to get around? Perhaps release a screenshot of the starting position so
we have something to talk about in the meantime?
Old January 16, 2004, 10:25   #27
sabrewolf
Emperor

so, will the first C3C-AU-game be a sort of "play da new stuff". eg. must be a new civ with at least one of the new traits seafaring&agricultural, you must try at least one new governement (feudalism, fascism)?
Old January 16, 2004, 11:14   #28
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
1.15 is the last patch, until the end of February.

So let's start the game already!
Should we give one week for the word to get around? Perhaps release a screenshot of the starting position so
we have something to talk about in the meantime?
I'm on it.

Dominae
Old January 16, 2004, 11:22   #29
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
Should we give one week for the word to get around?
"Why wait? Friday is always a good day to start!" said the biased Father/Husband who's very limited computer time is durning the weekend
Old January 16, 2004, 11:26   #30
alexman

I think we should wait because we might get more participation if people know it's coming. Give some time for the word to get around. And eager anticipation is good too! Also, the AU mod is not yet ready.