Old January 5, 2004, 03:02   #91
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

It made for good rating, but completely useless for any serious discussions.
Yes. What you don't know about saltwater crocodiles is plain for all to see.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old January 5, 2004, 03:08   #92
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Horsie is providing complementary evidence to the ineptitude of Irwin as a father.
That never was the main point of discussion before Horsie made a hasty shift.

Quote:
Everyone else is too busy noting your lack of "angle of attack".
Are you having a delusion of grandeur again? Only in your tiny universe could you be considered a representative of "everyone else."

Quote:
As usual, you post a rather inane "troll" and subsequent posts are filled with nothing but hot air, until you begin ignoring the thread a post or two later.
You have an advanced case of rabies. I suggest immediate hospitalisation.
Old January 5, 2004, 03:11   #93
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 15:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Glad to see the feuds continue to spice up our ordinary 'Polyite lives :b:
It's better than TV. :popcorn:
Old January 5, 2004, 03:11   #94
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
Yes. What you don't know about saltwater crocodiles is plain for all to see.
This from a person who quoted from some pop media person who allegedly quoted from an unspecified database.

Old January 5, 2004, 03:14   #95
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
That never was the main point of discussion before Horsie made a hasty shift.
Has it ever occured to you to read the title of the thread? It's certainly relevant it is certainly is a valid point of discussion. The fact that you refuse to address it is only proof that you lack a sufficient argument to refute it. Same old tune...

Quote:
Are you having a delusion of grandeur again? Only in your tiny universe could you be considered a representative of "everyone else."
No, I'm simply observant and have high expectations of the intelligence of most people reading the crap you type.

Quote:
You have an advanced case of rabies. I suggest immediate hospitalisation.
I suppose this is why you usually cut your losses and flee -- you can't debate and you can't be funny.
Old January 5, 2004, 03:16   #96
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
No, I'm simply observant and have high expectations of the intelligence of most people reading the crap you type.
Well you see, that was your first mistake.
Old January 5, 2004, 03:46   #97
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Well the old saltie croc, which UR clearly knows nothing about, is a very formidable predator indeed. It grows up to about 40 feet long and can easily take a water buffalo

When I was up in the Northern Territory a ranger cheerily pointed out a point where a person had recently been taken off the bank. A large trap was in place to catch the offending man eater. Once they get a taste for humans they tend to stalk humans again.

The ranger said you stood little or no chance against a large croc if you were within about 20 feet of the bank. In the water, it was certain death, in a boat you stood a chance but a determined large croc could easily capsize a small boat or jump in the boat to get you.

Meanwhile, our eyes were glued on people fishing only a few feet away from the fatal spot. They were standing on the wall of a weir with water running over the top up to about their knees. The ranger didn't even bother to warn them off.

That's Northern Australia for you. A teenager cleaning his bike on a riverbank was taken just last week. His 2 friends spent the night up a tree with the croc lurking below with their death friend in its mouth.

Old January 5, 2004, 04:25   #98
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 11:31
Alexander's Horse point about the handling of the child is germane. The is no way a one year old child should be handled that way, and at least in the US, if an injury resulted from that, the father would be charged, and possibly the mother if she was present and did not intervene, albeit on lesser charges.

Their neck muscles are undeveloped, and you can produce spinal cord injuries with any handling that does not support the neck and head. Having a nine month old, and also having raised younger sisters, this is something I at least have some familiarity with.

I work for the government, in aviation safety. One primary tenant is take don't chances, because a one in a ten thousand chance, per operation, when you have numbers exceeding that every day, is not safe. Irwin obviously is ignoring genuine safety, and is making a bet that he can control the situation. That is foolish at best, as evidenced by the post concerning the injuries to other crocodile hanlders. The slip/fall crocodile lunge scenario is not inane, and in fact is exactly what safety analysis is base on.

What's even worse. It would only take the slip/fall scenario (no crocodile) to permanently harm, or even kill his baby in the situation shown in that video. My wife and I take baths with our little girl, she loves it. Neither of us ever stands up in the tub while holding her. Period. We only do this when the other is about, so that we eliminate the danger (we hand her to the other person outside the tub, who is holding a towel). The man may be an expert animal handler, and a high-rating media personality. He is a safety NOOB.

Oh, Alexander's Horse, crocs are not genuinely cold-blooded, and have a partial ability to control their temperature. They represent a transition between obligate homeotherms and heterotherms, and this kind of metabolic reaction to the environment is more common than used to be realized, includes bees and sharks, though the mechanism differs with all three.

edit - misspellings and accidently posted early
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Last edited by Mr. Harley; January 5, 2004 at 04:37.
Old January 5, 2004, 05:13   #99
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 16:31
Assuming no large aquatic reptellians are present would you rather have Steve Irwin or Michael Jackson look after your kid?
Old January 5, 2004, 05:50   #100
Mr. Harley
Prince

How about I'll let the banana babysit.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 5, 2004, 06:39   #101
Berzerker
Emperor

Local Time: 10:31
Quote:
Once they get a taste for humans they tend to stalk humans again.
I doubt it's how we taste, sharks usually spit us out when they mistake us for seals and you won't find another animal with such insensitive taste buds. The croc is probably smart enough to recognise stupid prey.

Quote:
What if the crocodile decided to protect mr Irwin from the baby?
Methinks the croc should be protecting the baby from him. "The dingo ate your baby"...

And yes, crocs can move very quickly in a short burst of speed in or out of the water, although launching from the water only speeds them up since they are using their tail to help propel their attack. If the croc made a lunge for Irwin and he slipped getting out of the way...well...not a pretty sight... Now, Irwin is very quick having lived this long handling all them aussie snakes, but one of these times his skills may fail him and hopefully he's not using another person as "bait" or a prop when it happens...
Old January 5, 2004, 07:59   #102
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:31
I liked Irwin's threat yesterday to withdraw from public life.

If only.
Old January 5, 2004, 08:49   #103
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
Babies aren't people anyway. Abortion should be allowed until 1 year of age. Like when the Greeks would put babies out on the hill.
Old January 5, 2004, 10:13   #104
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO
Abortion should be allowed until 1 year of age.
No, 18.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 5, 2004, 10:20   #105
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

No, 18.
Nothing wrong with murder. It is just social darwinism. Let it happen at any age.
Old January 5, 2004, 19:09   #106
Alexander's Horse
Deity

One thing about it was he was holding the meat in one hand and the baby in the other. The croc probably thought the meat was the entre and the baby was the main course.

Old January 5, 2004, 19:25   #107
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:31
And the missus was dessert.
Old January 5, 2004, 20:28   #108
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
One thing about it was he was holding the meat in one hand and the baby in the other. The croc probably thought the meat was the entre and the baby was the main course.
Thank God that crocs are sticklers for table etiquette!
Old January 5, 2004, 20:34   #109
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:31
Quote:
Originally posted by shawnmmcc
Alexander's Horse point about the handling of the child is germane. The is no way a one year old child should be handled that way, and at least in the US, if an injury resulted from that, the father would be charged, and possibly the mother if she was present and did not intervene, albeit on lesser charges.

Their neck muscles are undeveloped, and you can produce spinal cord injuries with any handling that does not support the neck and head. Having a nine month old, and also having raised younger sisters, this is something I at least have some familiarity with.

I work for the government, in aviation safety. One primary tenant is take don't chances, because a one in a ten thousand chance, per operation, when you have numbers exceeding that every day, is not safe. Irwin obviously is ignoring genuine safety, and is making a bet that he can control the situation. That is foolish at best, as evidenced by the post concerning the injuries to other crocodile hanlders. The slip/fall crocodile lunge scenario is not inane, and in fact is exactly what safety analysis is base on.

What's even worse. It would only take the slip/fall scenario (no crocodile) to permanently harm, or even kill his baby in the situation shown in that video. My wife and I take baths with our little girl, she loves it. Neither of us ever stands up in the tub while holding her. Period. We only do this when the other is about, so that we eliminate the danger (we hand her to the other person outside the tub, who is holding a towel). The man may be an expert animal handler, and a high-rating media personality. He is a safety NOOB.

Oh, Alexander's Horse, crocs are not genuinely cold-blooded, and have a partial ability to control their temperature. They represent a transition between obligate homeotherms and heterotherms, and this kind of metabolic reaction to the environment is more common than used to be realized, includes bees and sharks, though the mechanism differs with all three.

edit - misspellings and accidently posted early

Mis Novias
Old January 6, 2004, 12:03   #110
Mr. Harley
Prince

Correction - one month babies
Old January 6, 2004, 12:10   #111
Vesayen
King

You know when you have a t.v. remote in one hand and a fork in the other and for ONE moment you almost think to yourself that you will eat with the remote?

A squishy full chicken in one hand, a squishy toddler in the other.... feel about the same, weigh about the same.... woops! That would of made an interesting but truley horrible news story.
Old January 6, 2004, 17:14   #112
Mr. Harley
Prince

Vesayen - it's worse when you've worked five graveyard shifts and the little one has kept you up, and you find yourself eating the babyfood instead of your food.