Old January 6, 2004, 14:57   #61
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Guess herpetology is no longer my strong suit.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 6, 2004, 15:00   #62
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:33
In remission?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 6, 2004, 15:09   #63
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Zinc works well.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 6, 2004, 15:13   #64
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 10:33
Someone remind me not to argue with Lord of the Mark about snakes if I ever should feel the need.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old January 6, 2004, 15:32   #65
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 07:33
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I'm gonna have to check my notes.

However, I think it unlikely that Notherners would refer to people by the name of a snake only found in the deep South.
That was the whole idea - label 'em as snakes and imply that they belonged in the south.
Old January 6, 2004, 15:32   #66
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Someone remind me not to argue with Lord of the Mark about snakes if I ever should feel the need.

not an all round expert, but i actually saw a copperhead (the snake) on the banks of the Potomac over the summer. POTM thought it was very kewl.
Old January 6, 2004, 15:35   #67
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

not an all round expert, but i actually saw a copperhead (the snake) on the banks of the Potomac over the summer. POTM thought it was very kewl.
When I see one, it being cool isnt the first thing that pops in my head. I'm not terrified of them like my gf is, but I'm not overly fond of them.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old January 6, 2004, 15:38   #68
MrFun
Emperor

You mean you don't think snakes make cuddly pets??

shame on you
Old January 6, 2004, 15:38   #69
Patroklos
Emperor

The would be the point Che, the gold star is not a static symbol and has many meanings, and I should not assume which one you intend.
Old January 6, 2004, 15:40   #70
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:

When I see one, it being cool isnt the first thing that pops in my head. I'm not terrified of them like my gf is, but I'm not overly fond of them.
"Where's my .410" is usually the first thing that popped in my mind when I'd see one.
Old January 6, 2004, 15:47   #71
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

POTM, aside from being a young naturalist, sometimes amazes me with her fearlessness. Not princess of the mark for nothing.
Old January 6, 2004, 15:56   #72
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

When I was a young lad of barely four, I found a semi-baby copperhead near the bayou out back of where we were living at the time, and picked it up (it had gotten a little overheated trying to cross the road), brought it into the house (with A/C running, perfect for cooling off and rebooting an 18" snake ), and said "look mommy, I found a great big worm" She freaked, called my dad at work, etc. etc. Long and short of it, I got my hide tanned, and I don't think that snake had a very good day either.

A lot of kids do that fearless (though occasionally brainless ) thing much better than adults.
Old January 6, 2004, 16:00   #73
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

MTG reminds me of the rural legend of the kid putting a pocketful of baby copperheads in his pocket,thinking they were worms. Only to be bitten to death.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 6, 2004, 16:00   #74
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
When I was a young lad of barely four, I found a semi-baby copperhead near the bayou out back of where we were living at the time, and picked it up (it had gotten a little overheated trying to cross the road), brought it into the house (with A/C running, perfect for cooling off and rebooting an 18" snake ), and said "look mommy, I found a great big worm" She freaked, called my dad at work, etc. etc. Long and short of it, I got my hide tanned, and I don't think that snake had a very good day either.

A lot of kids do that fearless (though occasionally brainless ) thing much better than adults.
well at least POTM had the good sense not to touch it. And kept what SHE thought was a respectful distance.
Old January 6, 2004, 16:08   #75
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Well, if it had been movin' at the time, I couldn't have caught it, so I figured in that little goober brain of mine that "respectful distance" meant "your ass is mine, welcome to my collection of cool creepy crawly creek critters"

Good for her though - girls that don't get squeamish about stuff and get into nature usually have more common sense than boys, who just have to get in the face of things.
Old January 6, 2004, 16:35   #76
Theben
Deity

When I was 2 living in miami, I was wading on the beach and saw a really cool squishy thing floating on the water. I grabbed it from the top, took it to my mom and said, "Look what I found!" She flipped big-time, and told to throw it away. So I went back to the water and flung it back to the sea.

It was a few years later that I found out it was a man-o-war.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 6, 2004, 17:08   #77
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

The babies are sort of fun - I went to the Keys on a vacation one winter, to do some diving and such, and they had one of those events where a ton of men-o'-war spawn and the tides are all wrong, so a billion baby men-o'-war washed up on all the beaches and ****ed up most of the dive spots. I put a few on my forearm, to see what they could do at that size (about an inch in diameter - real cute little squishy things ), and after a couple of minutes, I had little red tattoos showing their imprints, and a little hot tingly sensation. A little hot water from a shower head killed off the proteins in the venom though (since they were babies, it wasn't potent at all like the adults), and the marks went away after a few minutes.
Old January 6, 2004, 17:12   #78
Theben
Deity

Yeah, but the one I found was eaily my length in tentacles. dead too, but probably plenty of venom left...I got lucky.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 6, 2004, 17:15   #79
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Yeah - the big ones can seriously mess you up, and they don't have to "sting" you - just contact with those cells causes them to ooze venom.

It's always entertaining, the crap like that we get into and get away with.
Old January 6, 2004, 17:24   #80
Theben
Deity

Che and I have talked before that we should be dead several times over.

Anyway, what was the topic again?
Old January 6, 2004, 17:26   #81
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theben
Che and I have talked before that we should be dead several times over.

Anyway, what was the topic again?

Copperheads?
Old January 6, 2004, 18:24   #82
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:33
Quote:
Nyet. Copperheads were Southern pro-unionists.
Actually, the correct term is 'tories'. (Or at least that's the term that often seemed to be used by Southern governors and such when complaining to the Confederate government, as per William Davis' 'Look Away!')
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Last edited by Stefu; January 6, 2004 at 18:36.
Old January 6, 2004, 18:51   #83
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
The babies are sort of fun - I went to the Keys on a vacation one winter, to do some diving and such, and they had one of those events where a ton of men-o'-war spawn and the tides are all wrong, so a billion baby men-o'-war washed up on all the beaches and ****ed up most of the dive spots. I put a few on my forearm, to see what they could do at that size (about an inch in diameter - real cute little squishy things ), and after a couple of minutes, I had little red tattoos showing their imprints, and a little hot tingly sensation. A little hot water from a shower head killed off the proteins in the venom though (since they were babies, it wasn't potent at all like the adults), and the marks went away after a few minutes.
So this is what you do when you're bored.
Old January 6, 2004, 18:51   #84
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu

Actually, the correct term is 'tories'. (Or at least that's the term that often seemed to be used by Southern governors and such when complaining to the Confederate government, as per William Davis' 'Look Away!')
We don't need any of your Swedish nonsense.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:35   #85
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

So this is what you do when you're bored.
That's pretty mild, all things considered, but I do find random ways of entertaining myself at times when there's not much else to do.