Old January 16, 2004, 01:00   #61
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Local Time: 10:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Good job men! Keep up the good work.

You all should be invading the Japanese mainland by '44!!!

BTW, I noticed that the AI Dutch are actually leading both of you in points. What's up with that??? I know they're you're allies and everything, but still......it's the AI! Maybe you two, might want to start discussing about a possible partition of the Dutch colonies.
Old January 16, 2004, 04:51   #62
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:34
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 18, 2004, 02:01   #63
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The Daily News…
31 July 1943 the people paper

President Roozevelt addressed the nation on the war effort.

Photo of United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt sent July 28 and received at 1137 30 July 1943 at Brisbane Australia.

see page 2 for more of the event

This photo was sent via the radio, another exciting new technology.

see page 7 for more of the event
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	recieved july 30 1943 brisbane.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	62089  
Old January 18, 2004, 03:52   #64
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

August 1943 TOP SECRET
From Allied Command Centre San Francisco America
To Allied Command Centre Sydney Australia

August has been a mercifully quiet period in our sector of the fight against the Japs. Mercifully quiet for our troops, their loved ones, and most especially for my secretary. You see, after completing last months dispatch to you about the horrendous events on the island of Saipan, she got up out of her chair and jumped right out the window screaming -'I've got to end it all! I can’t take it anymore!' Luckily we are on the ground floor and so she only grazed her knees. As per standard security procedure, the MP's had done the usual blindfold treatment to make sure she couldn't identify my office to the enemy. Of course, she'd had to go through that everyday for the last 2 years. Maybe she just got sick of the twirling and dizziness, who can tell? Anyway, she's nice and safe now and being kept well away from sharp objects. My advisors have strenuously suggested that I list her as section 8 and have her carted away as a security hazard, but I just can't do that to my wife.

Moving on to more pressing military concerns, the only combat engagement experienced in the last few weeks has been the sighting and sinking of an enemy destroyer off the coast of the Philippines. I had ordered Adm. King to expand his reconnaissance patrols due to the increasing proximity of our fleets to the core of the IJN. Around midday on the 16th, an F4F Wildcat radioed in that a Jap destroyer had been seen, immediately altering course to the North in an attempt to steam out of harms way. The hvy cruisers Juneau and Chicago were close to hand and made the Jap attempt to escape a moot point, heavily damaging her and allowing the destroyer Paul Jones to close to within bombardment range to finish her off.

The other major operations conducted were preparations for a ground attack to remove the Jap presence from the Philippine mainland, a sizable column of tanks and marines being assembled in the jungle just to Aparri's South for this task. Five artillery batteries are established within range in the hills surrounding Manila, well protected by a MG Battalion and a unit of flak guns. I estimate that the enemy garrison should fall before the next dispatch reaches you, but we can never take these things for granted as the Jap has constantly proved himself most capable on the defence.

Also underway are the preparations for the invasion of Iwo Jima. We have four marine regt's in transport ships offshore awaiting the go code, having steamed up from Saipan and Midway. We have one further marine regt. in reserve accompanied by a med tank detachment. If all goes according to plan, these forces will take the last major Jap Island in the deep pacific and then prepare for an invasion of the Jap home islands. Though this may take some time as we must reduce the enemy naval threat to our supply lines before any conquest of Japan proper can be considered.

One last development you should be made aware of is the cessation of all further research being conducted on American soil. The President and I are in full agreement. Technologically speaking, we have reached the limit of what is necessary to the finalization of the war effort. My colleagues and I lobbied furiously to have the administration hear our arguments regarding this, having to work hard to be heard over the din of the many large R&D firms and special interest groups that infest Washington. Though it was hard work, I am proud to say that we have been completely successful and the entire national output is now directed solely at the completion of our current material objectives. This means that we will now have the full 458 gold per month production at our disposal. I have authorization to offer further lend-lease arrangements
should you require them.

August 1943 TOP SECRET
From East Coast Australia Allied Command Centre Sydney
To West Coast America Allied Command Centre San Francisco

Hanoi has fallen.
General Hill and his 9 artillery rgts really made a mess of Hanoi, then Major General Charles Barrett, 45th Tankers Regiment, 7th Anzac Army, and his Battalions: ‘The Flying Wagga Light Tanks’ and the ‘Brumby Jack’s Light Tanks’ stormed the gates, taking the town

From this point troops poured through the township, heading for the battle of Canton. General B. Scott moved key elements of his 7th Anzac Army onto the western hills overlooking the township, along the rail line. There would be no tom foolery with the infrastructure so close to victory in this region. I await the developments of the coming month.

And I can quite proudly state that the garrison of Hong Kong has been relieved. Five nights ago, several of my staff dinned in Hong Kong with the Governor Banksworth Middletin; along with General B. Scott; Colonel Roger Dempsey, the Garrison Commander; and the Ambassador of China, Wing Chu. I had not been aware of this, but throughout this entire event in Hong Kong, the Chinese Embassy had remained open and quite productive in many ways. I have met several Chinese people in my days, some very unique individuals, yet I have come away from this meeting with Ambassador Wing Chu pleasantly impressed. The man is a welcome addition to our war efforts.

I made the trip to Hong Kong along with 7 new Fighter Bomber squadrons. It was good to see these young RAAF lads in action. While we were there the initial sorties against Canton began. The fighter bomber combination works rather well.

The P38’s and P61’s that we are building under license from US corporations are a great sight. Whether mixing it up with Jap in the air, or on the ground, they have a presence about them. Along with there now being 7 of these new squadrons here, we have more on there way. It is the opinion of my staff that we are getting into a position to really take this war all the way to the Home Islands. There will be more on this next month after the battle of Canton.

Another two of these fighter bomber squadrons have now based at Sibu. The fighter squadrons already there have continued to pound the Jap base at Donggala.

A relief transporter has departed for Ternate as you read this. The ‘Ruby Jane’ is all but packed and ready to sail. The units have the township so under control, that they feel that only a light battalion is need for garrison duties.

Next stop for the ‘Ruby Jane’ will be the beaches south of Donggala. Here she will rendezvous with the transporter ‘Sturt’ with troops fresh from the capture of Davao. On hearing this I was at first concerned for the ‘Sturt’s” safety as there is still a sizeable Jap fleet in these very waters, yet Admiral Jackson has assured me that Admiral Peterson’s Task Force 35 have the situation under control.

On a personal note, my wife and I send to you and yours, our heart felt understanding for the situation that you find yourself in. The true hardships that we face are quite strenuous at the best of time. Yet dealing with the information of such an attack as Saipan, yes all to heart wrenching.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	p38s.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	62095  
Old January 18, 2004, 07:15   #65
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Marvelous stuff chaps, I was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms without an update yesterday!

Dont know what Ill do with myself when the war is over

I,ll probably join in with th VJ celebrations and don a party hat whilst I read the last chapters
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 18, 2004, 15:34   #66
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:34
Gripping stuff that. The pics add considerably to the immersion factor, too.
Spore page
Old January 23, 2004, 06:10   #67
dialectic2003
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:34
A delay
Unsecured tramission - Burn after perusal Sept 20, 1943
From West coast America Allied Command Centre, San Francisco
To East Coast Australia Allied Command Centre, Brisbane

I write to inform you of a terrible calamity. The base which serves as US Supreme Headquarters Pacific Area has very recently been thrown into turmoil by a horrific terrorist strike. Chaos exploded around mid-morning on that otherwise unremarkable day, the bomb sowing bloody confusion as far as the eye could see. After the pall of smoke had settled I could clearly see how close I had come to certain death - a piece of concrete the size of a basketball jutted out from the wall not 2 feet away from my head. From my vantage point at the back of my room, I could see one half of the wall in front of my desk had been sheared completely, leaving only a jagged cross-section of steel reinforced concrete over brick and mortar. About 3 yards down the hall from my door was the epicenter of the blast. Apparently someone had challenged the erstwhile bomber, forcing him or her to detonate their deadly payload before they could get a safe distance away. The loss of life was heavy, especially as these were people both close to me physically as well as being very hard to replace due to their expertise. Also keenly felt will be the heavy damage to the communications center, which was on the opposite side from my office a little down the hall, closer to the eye of the storm.

Seems this had been on the drawing board for some months. We obviously have some pro-Axis network attempting to impede our efforts to coordinate our assault on the land of the rising sun. They must have someone on the inside, how else did thy know where to pinpoint their attack? As this is an unsecured telegraph, and due to heightened fears from recent events, I cannot be more specific. Suffice it to say this has caused a delay in getting my dispatches to you as I can not afford to have these fall into enemy hands. I am awaiting the repair on the communications center, but will get in contact as soon as I am able. I envisage this will probably take upwards of a week, maybe more.

Last edited by dialectic2003; January 23, 2004 at 06:20.
Old January 23, 2004, 12:39   #68
Paddy
Prince

September 1943 TOP SECRET
From East Coast Australia Allied Command Centre Sydney
To West Coast America Allied Command Centre San Francisco

Canton has fallen!

9 Artillery Regiments really are a devastating force. General Hill and his lads really lit up the horizon with their artillery fire. The damage that we laid into Canton was breathtaking. Then we sent in squadron after squadron of fighter bombers from the Hong Kong airfields... Throughout Canton a lot of valuable assets were destroyed, but that is war. Next we sent in the newly developed heavy bomber. Jap must have been freaking out wondering where this all came from. To finish the show off, General B. Scott unleashed the Anzacs. A few battalions fell, but the town was taken. This is the last Japanese stronghold in this region of South East Asia.

My staff and I send our condolences to you and your team, for the loss of so many that we have come to know so well. So too, we are glad to hear that you and others did survive this attack. At first I thought how horrendous such an attack is, then I reread the reports of the damage that I authorised on the people of Canton. We pay a high price when we play at WAR.

I have some disturbing news to share. My intelligence staff are in a bind, they believe that the Chinese are a bit upset, with us of all people. Now each time we communicate with them they are extremely polite and very gracious in their hospitality. The issue is that they are sending troops towards Bangkok... And only Commonwealth occupied towns lay in that direction???

It is the intention of my staff that we polish Jap off the mainland, and maybe deal with the Chinese if there is an issue there. I am monitoring the Chinese movements very closely. It is quite a discussion here, for we are thinking of blockading off Singapore, around Bhuket, from these allies. The reasoning behind this is so that no matter what happens, we still have a safe harbour and airfield available in this region. The down side of such an operation is that this could be a waste of very valuable troops.

Hanoi was an interesting operation. The town has been opened for my troops to drive right through... The people are quite riotous, yet they have welcomed the troops who are passing through.

At this stage some of my units need R&R, as you may understand. And I must admit that the new facilities at Port Moresby will come in very handy.

In Donggala, we have landed 8 units, and General Collins is very confident that we will win it this town back very soon. The Jap fleet, that were trying to shelter in Donggala Harbour, escaped to sea, but Admiral Peterson's fleet is in pursuit. Along with the various fighter-bomber and heavy bomber units based at Hong Kong and Sibu, this fleet may be dead in the water within the coming weeks.

I am rushing an extra 2 transporters into Asia. These are to be available to bring troops to the Jap home lands as well if needed...

Thank you to your people for the influx of funds. This has helped out the economies of many of the Commonwealth Nations within the sector. Admiral Hollingsworth assures me that the new destroyers would not be nearing completion without your worthy contributions, thank you for this.

I have included an artist’s impression of one of the dogfights over Canton, between the Jap Zero’s and our Mixed US/Australia P38 Fighter Bomber Squadron. One hopes that you find it to your liking.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	p38s mixing it up with jap.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	62603  
Old January 23, 2004, 14:50   #69
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

An excellent chapter guys
Old January 25, 2004, 04:38   #70
Paddy
Prince

The Daily News…
30 September 1943 the people paper

Artillery, just the thing to break Jap’s back
This report filed by Charles M. Ackermann, earlier this week.

We told you the day that Hanoi fell.

We are here today to watch Canton fall.

You know of the injured, you know of the foot soldier, you even know of the tankers. All of these components make up General B. Scotts team. Yet these are only part of the over all team. This week we have spent time with one of General Sebastian Hill’s nine Artillery Regiments. For security reasons we are not allowed to bring you too many details on these men. But let it be known that they are strong, mighty warriors, who have no glorious lifestyle.

The nine Artillery Regiments really are a devastating force. General Hill and his lads have put on quite an amazing show, bringing daylight to an otherwise very dark night. The rate of fire of these guns is very fast, and so much of the work is literally in the arms of our young men.

see page 4 for more of the event

Photo of Artillery Troopers of General Sebastian Hill’s Regiments, earning their pay the hard way, on the City of Hanoi.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	art at work.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	62715  
Old January 25, 2004, 04:45   #71
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Nice pic keep up the good work
Old January 25, 2004, 12:27   #72
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:34
Great additions.
Spore page
Old January 26, 2004, 17:12   #73
ShadowBlade
Settler

Local Time: 12:34
AWESOME! I intend to make another story, very similar to this one, though from the Japanese, non-historical point of view. I hope I'll ever match this story's quality. Look for the first chapter soon!
Old January 26, 2004, 19:07   #74
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowBlade
AWESOME! I intend to make another story, very similar to this one, though from the Japanese, non-historical point of view. I hope I'll ever match this story's quality. Look for the first chapter soon!
I am looking forward to that.

wait on, as the Jap... yes right, well then good luck...
Old January 26, 2004, 19:56   #75
ShadowBlade
Settler

Local Time: 12:34
Thanks! By the way, on what difficulty are you playing the scenario to make this story?
Old January 26, 2004, 21:20   #76
Paddy
Prince

Good question, next turn I will have a look
Old January 28, 2004, 10:30   #77
dialectic2003
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Chieftain

September 1943 TOP SECRET

Before recounting the events of the last few weeks, I wish to extend my heartfelt gratitude for the warm wishes from you and your wife contained in the last dispatch. When I showed the (edited) transcript to my wife she was visibly moved and showed signs of being her-self once again. When this is all over I wish to come down to your local bar (or pub as you Aussies are so fond of saying) and buy you a drink. Perhaps we can make this a winning partnership outside this damned war, what seems to have been so successful over the last 18-20 months. This is a long way off yet, and we still have much work to do, but I can see the end in sight.

As the main US Navy fleet maneuvers North by Northwest along the coast of the Philippines, more of the enemy's inter-island shipping in SE Asian region becomes exposed to the reach of our strike elements. The very life-blood of the Jap’s crumbling empire is now vulnerable to interdiction and destruction in detail. A report crossed my desk very recently that told of one such instance. Sighted by recon elements out of the carrier Yorktown, a Jap transport flotilla and sizeable escort were steaming south out of Okinawa heading for the last Jap strong hold on the Philippine mainland, Aparri. Though a group of heavy bombers scrambled out of Manila were intercepted by a squadron of 'Zeke's' on their approach to the bombing run, the rest of the engagement went according to plan. Not wanting to risk damage to either the carrier-borne aircraft squadrons or the battleships of the main fleet, the heavy cruisers and destroyers were detailed to swing West and steam to engage at full speed. This they did with remarkable efficiency. The heavy cruiser's Juneau and Chicago opened fire with a bombardment so fierce the enemy ships all but disappeared from view, due to the gun turrets own smoke and that which came billowing out of the side of the enemy CA Mogami and Chokai. Both were later sunk by submarines while trying to limp into Aparri harbor, the crew of the SS Tambour being promoted to veteran status for their part in the engagement and previously exhibited skill. With the enemy's 2 main ships out of the way, it was the turn of the Jap destroyer Hayashio. The danger having passed, the battleship Pennsylvania utilized its superior gun range and opened a devastating chasm in the destroyer's forward port hull, moments later it broke in two and sank without a trace. The transport flotilla stood little or no chance against such an overwhelming array of sea power and attempted to disperse and reach the safety of Aparri's port before hell came calling. This was not a realistic possibility. The heavy cruiser Helena promptly destroyed the transports ensuring that Aparri's defenders would have no reinforcement or re-supply.

Trundling through the steamy jungles and tepid rice-paddies of Luzon's North, the 8th and 10th Lt Tank regt.'s had been assigned the mission of driving the Jap’s off the Philippine islands. Sitting at the extreme North of the Philippines, the Jap held port of Aparri was an integral first step to the eventual capture of Formosa, Okinawa and Komi - the logical stepping-stones to the Jap home islands. When the artillery opened up, the entire outer defensive works of the Jap base crumbled to the ground like a house of cards. After the fires had been put out, dust clouds were all that graced the outer rim of the base where once strong bunkers and MG towers stood. With the main entrenchments breached, the tanks clattered right up to the forward companies of the enemy and 'blasted them to smithereens', to quote the CO of the 8th Lt Tank, Col. Marciano. It was a short and bloody engagement, more akin to slaughter than actual battle. Soon the town was ours and with it the whole of the Philippines were once again under our dominion. Or so we thought.

A few days after securing Aparii, a convoy meandering through the foothills above Manila was ambushed and almost cut to pieces by a wandering band of enemy guerillas. I say almost because guarding the rear of the convoy was a regt. of marines, making their way up to Aparri to prepare for the next phase of our war plans. Seems the enemy had infiltrated through the two tank regts while they had been making their way forward to assault the jap base. The guerillas were a barbaric lot and had been making the local villagers' lives hell. Calling down some support fire from the still emplaced artillery north of Manila, the 11th marines first scattered the guerillas' ill-coordinated attack and then moved in for the kill. The fire fight that ensued was confused and scattered, relying on small groups of men and good tactical leadership to win the day. Luckily, the marines excel in these conditions. The M1 Garand's high rate of fire mingled with the exceptional leadership demonstrated by the lieutenants and sergeants of the 11th marines were simply too much for the WWI vintage bolt-action rifles and bloodthirsty banzai charge mentality of the Japanese-lead local irregulars. Though they knew the terrain and were first class in ambushes, when the marines found them they were simply no match for our troops. There were very few casualties reported and no prisoners taken.

The last major operation for the month of September was the assault on Iwo Jima. As a strategic objective it was amongst the most valuable in all of the pacific. This tiny speck of an island represented a tremendous airbase for our forward deployed bombers as it would allow fighter escorts to accompany the bombers all the way to the jap home islands. Additionally, the prospect of a staging area for invasion troops within a months sailing time of the major jap industrial heartland was a great chance and needed to be secured. This would also deprive the japs of one of their last forward bases for sub and air interdiction of our supply lines. For all these reasons Iwo Jima had to be taken.

Under cover of darkness, the 9th and 12th marines readied themselves for the impending carnage. The plan was simple; the 9th and 12th regts formed the initial assault wave, followed closely by the 7th and 10th marines. The island was shaped like a pork chop and was only a total of 8 square miles in area. Having issued forth from the seas only 70 years ago, this speck in the pacific was made of still soft rock and volcanic ash. The assault beach was narrow and there was little or no cover across the island. The preparatory bombardment by the Tennessee and Arizona was heavy and seemingly effective, most of the visible hard-points being utterly destroyed. The lead companies made it to shore on time and in good order, but once ashore found the enemy was still going to put up a fight. The marines were hard hit at first, taking fire from emplaced 20mm flak guns and pre-registered artillery - the japs placed flags on the beach and ensuing crest for the artillery observers hidden on Mt Suribachi to zero in on. With the 9th regt pinned down, casualties mounting and a growing concern being radioed in from Adm. Spruance; the CO of 9th marines, Colonel P. Rose decided action had to be taken to reverse the situation. He embarked on a mission that would have made most other commanders in his place shudder at the very thought. He stood up, pointed at Mt Suribachi and in a rousing voice called out to his marines 'Come on boys, lets take that hill!' As one, the troops under his command lurched forward, heavily burdened not only by 60 pounds of equipment but a sudden sensation of shame at their previous hesitation. They wouldn't let their commander, their fellows or their country down; it was time to fight. And fight they did. Moving from one emplacement to the next, they suppressed and then demolished all opposition. Col. Rose and his men demonstrated true grit and courage under fire, leading to the 12th marines also pushing on. Over the next several hours; slowly, but irresistibly, the marines silenced the 20mm flak guns and took the hill. Col. Rose fell near its crest; with a deafening blast a well-aimed 122mm shell threw him and four unlucky fellows near him 10 feet in the air. He was awarded a Congressional Medal of Honor posthumously for his efforts. With the artillery observers rooted out and killed, the resistance from the japs slackened immensely. As it turns out there was only the one flak unit stationed on Iwo Jima, supported by a battery of artillery. The Japanese area commander Adm. Nagumo had apparently relocated his other ground troops to Saipan in the months before. No matter, both were now under our control and should prove valuable in the months to come.

Just a few points need to be made regarding future operations. Firstly, will you require assistance to destroy the jap fleet attempting to escape from that debacle in Donggala? I am more than happy to help, but I am unsure if I should detail units to swing south to deal with this menace. To be frank, I would prefer to retain these assets up north for the attack on the japs main fleets still around the Okinawa area as I intend to bring the fight to them next month. Also, I feel it is now time to begin our operations against the last of the jap bases in Formosa through to Komi. I have been assured by the Chinese ambassador that we can leave the Manchurian bases to our erstwhile Chinese friends. I am not a hundred percent confident of this, but I can not see the jap bastions in the North presenting much of a hindrance to the furtherance of our aim to bring the war to Tokyo. I await your reply.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	iwo jima armada.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	63035  

Last edited by dialectic2003; February 2, 2004 at 20:37.
Old January 28, 2004, 10:38   #78
dialectic2003
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Chieftain

Iwo Jima Shoreline September 1943
9th Regiment pinned down
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	iwo jima 9th rgt 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	63036  
Old January 28, 2004, 10:54   #79
dialectic2003
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Chieftain

The San Francisco Chronicle
September 23rd, 1943

IWO JIMA Airfield Now OPEN. One step closer to VICTORY

After a week of tireless effort by the Seabees engineers, the new Airbase on Iwo Jima is finally ready. This should greatly help to cut down our bomber losses by allowing the fighters to escort them all the way to Tokyo.

see page 3 for details

Below picture is of a F4F Wildcat taking off from the new Airbase
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	iwo jima plane.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	63037  
Old January 28, 2004, 13:31   #80
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Great update dialectic
great pics too

Keep up with the good work
Old January 29, 2004, 08:55   #81
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowBlade
Thanks! By the way, on what difficulty are you playing the scenario to make this story?
Regent
Old January 30, 2004, 01:17   #82
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Local Time: 10:34
cool
Old February 3, 2004, 15:15   #83
Paddy
Prince

The Sydney Morning Gazette
7 October 1943

IS THERE NOWHERE SAFE?

What is the WAR Department doing?

All night Sydney has been awake to the sounds of sirens and explosions. You may ask what is going on. You may think we are under attack. Well you would be right.

Last night a Japanese midget submarines attacked and sank...

(look to page 4 for the rest of this article)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	midget subs 3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	63471  
Old February 4, 2004, 09:02   #84
Paddy
Prince

19 October 1943 Code Zebra Confidential Report
From Office of Australian Secret Intelligence Service
To Chief of Staff, Allied Command, Brisbane – General Talbot
To Chief of Naval Operations – Admiral John Lindley
To Secretary of War – Minister Frankston

The following information is a Code Zebra Confidential Report, repeat Code Zebra Confidential Report. This material is to be thoroughly destroyed upon completion of use. Please note, as per standard procedure, some references have been changed to protect the source.

Three Japanese mother submarines departed rendezvous point near Truk in mid May of this year. They headed south between Rabaul and Solomon Islands. A forty-six ton midget submarine was secured to each of these mother submarines.

We have confirmed reports that these mother subs were spotted off the east coast of Australia, as they passed Brisbane. Military Intelligence is currently investigating why this report did not set of appropriate warning bells.

As has been widely reported, suspected Japanese planes did fly over both Sydney and Newcastle in the hours prior to the Midget Submarine attacks. We can confirm that these planes were also brought into the area via the Mother Submarines. They are responsible for lighting various fires to guide the midget subs to their targets. These planes have not been located at this time.
We can confirm that the Japanese had five submarines in the waters near Sydney. It was these mother subs that attacked the Sydney East Suburbs.

Following the Jap float planes, the electronic indicator loop in Sydney Harbour did alert the Harbour command that there was something unauthorized entering the Harbour. It was the decision of the Harbour Master – Commodore Lindefield that this was nothing as there was quite a heavy amount of small boats using the Harbour.

Later in the evening again the electronic indicator loop in Sydney Harbour did alert the Harbour command that there was something unauthorized was entering the Harbour. Again it was the decision of the Harbour Master – Commodore Lindefield that this was nothing as there was quite a heavy amount of small boats using the Harbour.

As is known the Japanese Midget Submarine did entangle it self in the anti-submarine netting in the western Harbour. We believe that they detonated there on explosives to destroy their own craft at this stage. All of the crew died.

With this event all vessels in the Harbour were warned of the presence of enemy submarines.

Several vessels did spot one midget sub; it was fired upon at length. Several vessels tried to ram the sub; some even got depth charges away.

At this time the electronic indicator loop again alerted the Harbour Command that there was something unauthorized was entering the Harbour. By this stage the game was up, and the Harbour on full alert.

The HMAS Geelong spotted and attacked a midget submarine, just prior to the sub getting several missiles away.

As you are aware we lost several lives that evening.

We can confirm that the crew of one midget which was severely depth charged as it entered the harbour, was later found disabled on the harbour floor with its motor still running. The 2 crew had shot themselves. Nine areas in Sydney were damaged by shells fired from the submarines.

The 4 Japanese submariners killed in this incident were cremated are to be cremated at the Eastern Suburbs Crematorium.
The crew listings were:

Midget Submarine A14
Commander Kenshi CHUMA
Ensign Takeshi OOMORI

Midget Submarine A21
Commander Keiu MATSUO
Chief Petty Officer Masao TSUZUKU

Midget Submarine A from I-24 was never found and the crew is presumed dead as follows:-

Midget Submarine A from I-24
Lieutenant Katsuhisa BAN
Ensign Mamoru ASHIBE

Last edited by Paddy; February 5, 2004 at 01:06.
Old February 4, 2004, 09:08   #85
Paddy
Prince

Japanese Midget Submarine from Sydney Harbour
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	midget subs 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	63537  
Old February 4, 2004, 13:21   #86
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Nice stuff Paddy

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; February 6, 2004 at 13:27.
Old February 7, 2004, 09:22   #87
dialectic2003
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Chieftain

October 1943 TOP SECRET

A tense atmosphere has pervaded the Supreme US Naval HQ, Pacific here in San Francisco for some time. Sweated brows and concerned demeanors are the dominant feature when scanning the faces of the denizens of this beleaguered compound. Not only have we had the ongoing titanic struggle with a foreign power to contend with, the ever-present fear of a repeat attack by hostile agents and their minions has occupied more and more of our attention. Guarding against such a domestic threat is intensely difficult. There is no profile to watch out for, no stereotypes to warn of impending danger. All we know is what the new posters blare out at us: be on the look out for suspicious persons. People lurking about or furtively glancing here and there, trying a little too hard to fit in and not get noticed. After the bombing of our HQ last month however, that could feasibly apply to everyone, even me. We have all become very worried, overly cautious about strangers. I doubt any spy or saboteur would look half as suspiciously concerned as we do. We’ve done everything we can to stave off further attacks; we beefed up security at the front gate, both to the base and our compound itself, and we also tripled the identity and clearance checks. Having done all that, I can honestly say I feel a little better, but still not completely relaxed.

All in all though, we have almost managed to get back to the business of prosecuting this damn war full time again. The communications center is nearly back to operating status again, we should have that completely repaired in the coming weeks. We have found that it is not only the local telecommunications monopoly that is incompetent and horrendously inefficient, its inter-regional competitors are likewise afflicted. Maybe the Jap’s evil grasp extends well past the reach of its military, perhaps into the very offices of the American firms we rely on. I remember something during 1942 in the news about an East Coast banker and businessman named Prescott Bush and some shady deals with the Nazis. I think I may have to set my adjutant on to an investigation for similar traitors in the West Coast telecommunications industry.

A world away from my offices, the situation has grown desperate on the recently re-conquered island of Puerto Princess. Despite our best efforts at maintaining an adequate supply to the small township there, people have been dying in the streets from a lack of food and clean water. Overcrowding has reached crisis levels, placing too heavy a strain on the local resources and incoming supplies. I requisitioned the formation of a worker battalion raised from the city’s poorest inhabitants to alleviate the burden of too many mouths to feed, and not enough sanitary places to house them. This brought the already low productive potential of the island crashing down to meager levels, but at least the human situation should now hopefully be stabilized. There is something dangerous about extreme poverty and high fertility, more research needs to be conducted. Malthus knew what he was talking about, - overpopulation is God’s way of stopping man from being lazy - though I doubt too many pay heed. At any rate, the raising of the worker battalion added to the mass starvation has reduced the base at Puerto Princess from a high of 6,000 inhabitants not 3 months ago, to a low of only 2,000 recorded just this week. It’s a good thing we are looking more for the strategic importance of the base than the productive capacity. In that the island holds some significant value as it provides a link in the surveillance chain that covers the coast of the Phillipines down to the Borneo North coast. There shall be no further Jap naval incursions in this area, what with your fleet coming up and ours sweeping across the North of the Phillipines we should be able to force the Japs into the arms of your waiting fighter bombers out of Saigon.

I read with some disconcertment your report of a moderate sized fleet moving up out of Donggala harbor in the direction of the Phillipines. Though heavily battered by what I presume was your cannon and aircraft, the enemy flotilla has been spotted just to the SE of Puerto Princess. For reasons cited below I am not in a position to deal with this still somewhat dangerous adversary, but I trust you should have no problem using either your inbound fleet or the aforementioned FB squadrons stationed near Saigon to hasten its demise.

Apart from some minor issues with pollution North of Los Angeles and the Uranium mining South of Seattle, there has been only one other major development yet to be discussed this month. However, unlike the preceding two issues this is of tremendous importance: the Jap navy has shown itself and in force. I append in full the report I received from Adm. King.

Start of Adm. King’s report

Knowing from previous Intel that the size and strength of the enemy fleet nearly matched our own, I felt it prudent to align our warships in a rough convex arrangement: the destroyers and cruisers in a protective screen ringing the main battleship and carrier group at a distance of some 20 nautical miles. While the surface fleet made a good, steady speed North by Northwest off the coast of the Phillipines toward the Jap island of Formosa, I organized the sub fleet into 4 distinct roles. The SS Tambour was to patrol the area to the West of Aparri, and cut down any attempt at infiltration either into or out of the Formosa area. The large sub group I had detailed in the North East; the SS Trout, SS Batfish and SS Bluefish, were to swing into the flank of the enemy fleet when battle was met. In addition, their mission was also to interdict any attempt to run the gauntlet and attack our recently conquered Jap territory of Saipan or Iwo Jima. The SS Bonefish was assigned as ASW escort with the forward elements of the cruiser screen. This left only one other sub, the SS Bream.

I had detailed the sub to scout out ahead of our main battle group in an effort to ensure early warning of any approach by the Japs. All had appeared satisfactory when I last received the check in coded transmission at mid-morning on the 22nd of Sept. Shortly after that we received another, more cryptic message from the captain of the SS Bream. It read, simply: ‘Warning, enemy …’ then the transmission was cut off. Unsure if the enemy was actually moving or simply staying static and preparing a minefield; or, if they were moving, in which direction and at what speed; I pored over that short transmission for an hour searching for some clue. In short, I was perturbed, so I issued an alert to all officers and crew to attend battle-stations and prepare for an attack. We waited over 34 hours, with many of the men starting to fall off from fatigue and nervous tension. I decided the Japs must not be in the immediate vicinity and called the all clear to allow the men some rest, this was at approximately 20:15 on the 24th. At 0445 the next morning, the Japs struck.

After receiving an alert in my cabin, I staggered up to the bridge of the main fleet’s flagship, the CV Enterprise. From there I could see the suddenly perilous developments first hand. The enemy had elected to bring their main carrier force down from Formosa during the dead of night and had caught us almost completely unawares. The main screen was under attack from three large groups of enemy warships, each with a carrier and mixed heavy cruiser and destroyer escort. In the still unlit pre-dawn sky I could make out CA Helena limping back to port with fires raging out of her port stern. The captain was obviously making sure that if she did blow that she wouldn’t damage any nearby US ships. As she had been on the extreme North wing of the screen though she had a ways to go and wouldn’t be out of danger for some time. Also, reports indicated that the accompanying ASW escort with the central pillar of the defensive screen, the SS Bonefish was damaged, but had gone without orders to bring the battle to the enemy carrier Shokaku. I attempted to radio orders to abort the attack run and make for Aparii, but to no avail. Unable to submerge due to her damaged hull, however, she presented little threat to the Japs and the DD Kusumi finished her off with 2 well-aimed 8” shells to the forward hull, just as the full spread of torpedoes was loaded. The resulting destruction was quick and total. Even in the darkness I could discern the whining sounds of incoming zeros and kites. All 4 of the main fleet’s carriers had CAPs up and almost all of the enemy aircraft were destroyed, but not before 2 kamikazes struck the stern turrets of the BB Nevada. The 2 revolving turrets housing the big 16” guns were rendered useless, but luckily for us the magazine was not penetrated. Though damaged, the commander of the BB Nevada advised that they were still seaworthy and keen to give as good as they had got. Even though we have been seeing an increasing number of these kamikazes and have almost found them so commonplace as not to be noteworthy, they still send a shiver down my spine when I think of them.

We had been shaken, bruised and bloodied, but not by a long shot were we out of the fight. In fact, the enemy attack plan could not have suited us better as they were now all within range of every one of our warships and submarines. Firstly, we had to eliminate the enemy carriers as they had a tremendously strong CAP controlling the sky above their main fleet formations. To that end, I ordered the SS Tambour to attack the southern most enemy fleet carrier, the CV Soryu. In this, the timing of the enemy attack suited us to no end. The sub was able to close to within torpedo range unnoticed. The firing solutions were plotted and the fuses timed to detonate a good 10 ft from the hull of the carrier. Again fate was kind, because the enemy escorting DD’s and BB were all focused on the US warships to their front, none were able to intervene in the path of the submerged missiles. The trails snaked their way right up to the hull of the ship and then exploded as if on cue. The carrier was caught amidships on the port side, shook violently for a second before suddenly lurching to the rent side. The scene almost elicited pity as a doomed fighter-bomber frantically revved engines to escape the sinking ship; but, with a flight deck at 45 degrees, gravity conspired with centrifugal force against the bushido warrior bringing the plane crashing into the dark morass of the pacific. Moments later the first of the enemy carriers was gone, entirely submerged and crashing to the depths of the Pacific. Unfortunately, as they were making their way south-west to resume their position as a rearward blocking force, a stray 14” shell from the main engagement struck the coning tower and almost sunk her. I ordered the captain to immediately cease combat patrolling and make best speed to Aparri for repairs.

The remainder of the battle went almost completely to plan. Though not exactly, as the experience of the SS Trout demonstrated when I ordered the North Eastern sub force to engage the last 2 of the enemy carriers. The CV Shokaku occupied the central plank of the enemy fleet formation of line abreast, and as such her elimination was an integral part of any operation to remove this thorn from our side for good. The SS Trout was detailed to attempt to recreate SS Tambour’s success, though in hindsight this was never a good idea as the 2 commanders were not the same either in combat experience or resilience under fire. However, hindsight is 20/20, and at the time I felt there was a reasonable chance they could make it through the DD screen and strike a fateful blow against the hated Jap Emperor. Though they were able to run submerged to within striking distance, and managed to get to periscope depth to calculate the appropriate time over distance equation for their firing solution, the breaking dawn of the new day betrayed them to the enemy. As they were loading their torpedoes for the attack, the enemy DD Shiranuhi spotted the incongruous shape of the periscope not 80 ft from their hull and launched depth charges in a full spread. The SS Trout crew could hear 3 of the explosions nearby and they held their breath hoping beyond hope that they might be lucky and submerge again before any further launches were made. Just as the order to submerge was given, one of the depth charges scraped against the sub’s hull and detonated. The scene must have been horrific for those poor boys in the engine room at the back of the vessel, stuck in a sinking tin can with no escape. This spelt the end of the SS Trout.

The battle then devolved into a series of engagements where vessels traded shell with the enemy over a range of 10 nautical miles. In this sort of engagement, our superior gunnery training and American engineering provided us with a great advantage. I ordered the heavy cruisers Juneau, Honolulu and Chicago to move to engage the enemy screen around the last 2 carriers. Having seen the end of the SS Trout, the Batfish and the Bluefish reported the situation and were ordered to pull back and maintain submerged status, I couldn’t risk any further surprise attack runs when the enemy DD and aircraft were alerted to my ruse. With the assistance of the DD Paul Jones, the screen surrounding the CV Shokaku was penetrated and the CA Honolulu was able to deliver a telling blow to the enemy carrier. With her 14” and 12” guns firing their timed fuse shells at the hull of the carrier, the CA Honolulu was able to open 3 gaping holes in the enemy vessel’s side. With smoke pouring out from what was once her untarnished starboard, the enemy captain ordered all crew to the flight deck to show us what they were made of. As the ship listed savagely to one side, the entire crew threw their hands into the air and screamed ‘BANZAI!’ before the CV Shokaku capsized and sunk.

Meanwhile, the battleship Pennsylvania was busy engaging the enemy battleship Kirishima, which had once been escorting the CV Soryu. Here the advantages I spoke of earlier were most in evidence, the damage that the enemy was doing to the US battleship was minor compared to the wholesale destruction wrought on the Japs. With waterspouts from near misses marking the seas around the BB Pennsylvania, the Captain calmly ordered adjustments to their fire up and down the Kirishima until the magazine was found. When 2 16” armor piercing shells broke through the comparatively thin shell surrounding this most vulnerable of spots on a warship, the results were as dramatic as they were cataclysmic. With a tremendous explosion the BB Kirishima was simply vaporized, small pieces of debris being scattered as far as 5 nautical miles away. Just as the 16” guns on the BB Pennsylvania opened fire and delivered the fateful shells to the magazine of the Jap battleship, the Kirishima also let loose a volley of AP shot. The Pennsylvania was busy loading up another round into each of her 12 heavy guns when all hell broke loose. Not 1, 2 or 3, but 4 direct hits tore through the side armor and dealt a savage blow to the US battleship, the ensuing magazine explosions finalized matters as if there was any doubt. As the ship started to rapidly take on water, the signal to abandon ship was sounded. For most of the crew stuck below deck it simply came too late, only 65 men were plucked from the water in the battle’s aftermath.

Now the main effort was re-directed towards the last of the enemy fleet carriers, the CV Hiryu. With most of the enemy capital ships in the first 2 fleet groups sunk, the remaining uncommitted battleships, Maryland and Nevada - escorting our carriers, were ordered North to engage the heavy cruisers in the Hiryu’s protective screen. After two very short and sharp encounters, the enemy heavy cruiser screen was destroyed, with the CA Abukama sunk. Only minor damage was done to the Maryland, but the Nevada was severely crippled and only able to limp to Aparri, smoke pouring out from its bow and stern and its bridge all but wrecked. Sensing an opportunity, the CA Helena diverted from its previous heading towards the Aparri harbor and decided to try to inflict as much damage on the Jap war ambitions as possible. Even though its 8” and 10” guns were unusable, its 12” guns were serviceable and put into action with telling effect. The CV Hiryu could sense that the attack ploy had failed miserably and was now busy seeking a means of escape, attempting to preserve at least some combat carrier potential for the IJN. Just as the rudder was redirected and the order for retreat was given, a 12” shell obliterated both the bridge and the fleet’s sole remaining commanding officer. The carrier was damaged, but the aircrews onboard were still determined and the flight deck was still serviceable. A squadron of zeros was launched toward the CA Helena and no amount of flak was going to save her. The CAP from the main US carrier group scrambled to defend the stricken vessel, but not before 2 kamikazes crashed into the bridge and boiler. Soon thereafter the question of defending the now crippled CA Helena was a moot point as an internal explosion racked the vessel and she broke in 2, disappearing from view in seconds.

As the CV Hiryu was attempting to make good its escape, I rescinded its previous order and gave the go ahead for the SS Batfish to close and engage. Sadly, the CA Helena was gone, but its debris proved invaluable for the SS Batfish’s attack run as it provided the captain with a measure of cover for the periscope to rise and allowed him to cut out the guesswork from his attack matrix calculation. Not wanting to give the last enemy carrier any chance of avoiding the deadly torpedoes, he programmed 3 different time fuses for his full spread – in front of, behind and dead on. The torpedoes were launched and the SS Batfish submerged immediately, not wanting to hang around to witness what may be the end of both the Hiryu and himself if the escorts were alerted to his presence. Had he stayed at periscope depths he could have enjoyed the sight of 2 of his torpedoes strike home, caving in the side of the carrier with ease. The stricken ship and its crew took a further 3 minutes to actually sink out of sight, almost half the time it took for the bomber squadrons out of the carriers Saratoga, Yorktown, Lexington and Enterprise to reach the area and render 3 more destroyers and a heavy cruiser smoking wrecks.

I have included in my report an aerial photograph of the situation in the Phillipine sea area before our response to the Japanese attack. Though this was a victory, it was certainly not total, and definitely not without considerable loss. The enemy still has 2 destroyers and a heavy cruiser in the area, though all are badly damaged and the cruiser is crippled. They will not present a large threat to our forces in the region, but will most likely escape our clutches in the coming weeks at least. We lost the battleship Pennsylvania, the CA Helena and several submarines. We will also require several months to make good the damage to our main fleet assets, with almost half of the fleets cruisers, destroyers and submarines needing urgent repair. The loss of life has been tragic, please extend my warm regards and condolences to their families.

End of Adm. Kings report
--- continued ---
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	naval sitrep oct 1943.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	63789  

Last edited by dialectic2003; February 7, 2004 at 09:57.
Old February 7, 2004, 09:23   #88
dialectic2003
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Chieftain

October 1943 TOP SECRET

--- continued ---

In review, the situation post Oct 1943 is considerably brighter than it was even just 3 months ago, when first reports of the remaining Jap navy around Formosa first crossed my desk. Subsequent to the main combat action, and in view of the potentially precarious situation now in the Phillipines Sea area of the Pacific, I ordered the swing group of TF Charlie to rendezvous with the main fleet as reinforcement. Though our main Pacific fleet is weakened and will require extensive time to repair and refit, we should now be well placed to strike the final blows at the Japanese imperial dream in the Pacific. We have now moved beyond the initial rollback strategy and have reached the investment of the main Jap homelands, starting with Formosa. To paraphrase what a Mr. W. Churchill once said: We have witnessed the end of the beginning and now we move onto the beginning of the end.

Attached: aerial shot of the Hiryu from a F4F patrol aircraft; Oct 1943
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	hiryufire.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	63790  

Last edited by dialectic2003; February 7, 2004 at 10:10.
Old February 7, 2004, 14:41   #89
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

B l o o d y Marvellous stuff!! marvellous stuff
Old February 8, 2004, 00:37   #90
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:34
very nice.