Old January 4, 2004, 16:38   #1
[Shane Hodgson]
Settler

Local Time: 15:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Capital Of A Civilization
I have noticed something very interesting regarding the capital of my civilizations every time I play Civilization III Gold.

Sometimes the star next to the name of the city will be white, and other times it will be yellowish-gold. What does this change in color mean?

I cannot seem to find any documentation on the feature anywhere on the web. Any help is appreciated.
Old January 4, 2004, 17:36   #2
MattPilot
Prince

probably means if there is an embassy or not. Also, once a shield is behind the star, it means you got your intelligence agency in that city.
Old January 4, 2004, 21:22   #3
PeaSoup
Warlord

Local Time: 08:36
Matt is right, a yellow star in your oppoent's capital means there's currently an embassy setup.

A white star in your own capital means you haven't researched writing and cannot setup embassies.

Going to war with every known civ after writing may also cause the star to go white since you can't establish embassies when at war.
Old January 4, 2004, 23:24   #4
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 11:36
Also, a grey pentagon in a capital indicates that you've planted a spy in that civ (in one of your own cities it indicates that that city has the espionage center or whatever it's called).
Old January 5, 2004, 18:46   #5
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:36
Star = Capital
Star + Dot = Embassy
Star (+Dot) + grey pentagon = Intellegence Agency.

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
...it indicates that that city has the espionage center or whatever it's called).
the Intelligence Agency.

Steven
Old January 6, 2004, 20:25   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Not to be a spelling nazi, but the capital of a civilization is it's gold supply.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:30   #7
Kuciwalker
Deity

AND the seat of its government

Washington DC is the capital of the US. Congress meets in the Capitol building (the only instance I know of where it's spelled that way).
Old January 6, 2004, 20:39   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Holy cr*p, you are right! I just looked both up, and realized I've had it wrong forever.

My apologies to all, and thanks for the correction, sw.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old January 6, 2004, 23:45   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

I had the same problem. I was disillusioned in a similar manner
Old January 7, 2004, 00:19   #10
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:36
/me points at Theseus
Old January 7, 2004, 06:17   #11
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 16:36
Yup, I had been getting very annoyed by the constant misspelling of "capital" in these threads, but I was too polite to mention it! As bad as "Napolean", "facism", and "raising cities", all of which I've seen depressingly often too...

Oh, and when he was being a spelling Nazi, Theseus said "it's" when he meant "its". Pronouns never take an apostrophe in the genitive. So there!

Last edited by Plotinus; January 7, 2004 at 07:00.
Old January 7, 2004, 08:35   #12
MattPilot
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus

Oh, and when he was being a spelling Nazi, Theseus said "it's" when he meant "its". Pronouns never take an apostrophe in the genitive. So there!
so i guess that makes you the punctuation nazi?
Old January 7, 2004, 12:27   #13
steven8r
Prince

Thanks Skywalker. And thank you Theseus for the attempt. At least I know you're not .
perhaps even , but not

Here's what one of my teachers told the class many years ago about "Capital/Capitol":
'Capital' is money, or the seat of government.
'CapitOl' is a Building w/ a dOme. (note the 'O' in each).
(of course this analogy is totally lost on any 'civ' that doesn't use a Classical Archetectural Style)

Quote:
Another word from that same teacher:
"it's" ALWAYS means, "it is".

Steven

Last edited by steven8r; January 7, 2004 at 12:36.
Old January 7, 2004, 12:32   #14
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
AND the seat of its government
Or the 'Head' of a government.

The 'Head' of government, and the 'Seat' of government are actually One And The SAME!!!
That explains much!!!

Steven
Old January 7, 2004, 12:40   #15
Plotinus
Prince

[steven8r] Really? I'm intrigued. A glance at Collins English Dictionary reveals that "Capitol" means either another name for the Capitolene (one of the Seven Hills of Rome) or the main building of the US Congress, or of any of the US state congresses. Would you call St Paul's Cathedral in London, or St Sophia in Istanbul, a capitol?
Old January 7, 2004, 12:53   #16
steven8r
Prince

Plotinus, in that example, (in a US classroom) when the teacher used that analogy, it was implied that it was 'specific' buildings, ie. the 'US Capitol Building', and/or ' Capitol Building(s)'.

It was not to imply 'just any' building with a dome'. (and NO, I'm not saying that St. Paul's Cathedral, et al are 'just any buildings'.)

The analogy was meant to be specific not general.
Sorry for the confussion.

Steven
Old January 7, 2004, 13:08   #17
Plotinus
Prince

Ahhh, fair enough! Still a good way of getting you to remember it. I approve of this teacher - although of course "it's" could sometimes be "it has", as in "it's got...".

Your flag reminds me of the time I visited Austin and was proudly informed that the Texas state capitol is actually taller than the federal one in DC. I wasn't in the least bit surprised!
Old January 7, 2004, 13:26   #18
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Ahhh, fair enough! Still a good way of getting you to remember it. I approve of this teacher - although of course "it's" could sometimes be "it has", as in "it's got...".
Could have been that she said something more like, "It's is ALWAYS a contraction, never possesive." Or something to that effect. Anyway, it's a good way to remember certain grammar rules--she had several of them. The fact that I can still recall them (whether completely or not) is a testiment to her abilities. Just goes to show that sometimes one can get a decent education in spite of the US Educational System.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus Your flag reminds me of the time I visited Austin and was proudly informed that the Texas state capitol is actually taller than the federal one in DC. I wasn't in the least bit surprised!
Yeah, and our flag is the only state flag that can be flown at the same height as the US flag. It all came from the negotiation between the United States and the Republic of Texas. The early Texans felt that they were giving-up thier soverenty to become a 'mere state' so they should be compensated in some way. We've never forgotten that we were once a nation!

Most Texans consider themselves to be first, Texans, then Americans. I would imagine that it's not too unlike the Scotts in that respect.

So yes, our Capitol is taller than the US Capitol and our flags fly at the same height.

Steven
Old January 7, 2004, 14:19   #19
Plotinus
Prince

Ha, yes! I have a very good friend who is a patriotic Texan, and I'm reliably informed that the mighty Texan empire will once again rise. In fact, I have a sudden urge to try out a Texan civ...

I must admit I was a little thrown by the sheer number of Texan flags on display there, as well as the general enthusiasm for flags in America in general. We don't generally fly flags in Britain, except in places like Northern Ireland! What happens if you try to fly another state flag at the same height as the US flag? (Stop me if I wander off topic here...)
Old January 7, 2004, 15:05   #20
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Goddamnit. Laugh at me too, fellas. I've been using "capitol" for, oh, my entire time here at 'poly. For the same reason Theseus did.

That irritates me. Blah. Capital it is, then (old chap).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:07   #21
Theseus
Emperor

Quote:
Yup, I had been getting very annoyed by the constant misspelling of "capital" in these threads, but I was too polite to mention it! As bad as "Napolean", "facism", and "raising cities", all of which I've seen depressingly often too...

Dear god, I am an idiot.

I really meant to say "I am it's speling facist."

Old January 7, 2004, 15:07   #22
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus What happens if you try to fly another state flag at the same height as the US flag? (Stop me if I wander off topic here...)
Beheading! Then they tear-down the offending flag and trample it in the dirt?

Honestly, I don't know. Since I haven't had to worry about it, that's one piece of info that I haven't bothered to learn. However, I am now currious, and will endeavour (spelling in honour of Plotinus) to find out.

Steven

Last edited by steven8r; January 7, 2004 at 15:15.
Old January 7, 2004, 16:40   #23
Kuciwalker
Deity

this has become

Old January 7, 2004, 18:53   #24
steven8r
Prince

They ought to have Flags for the Capitols in Civ!!!

That way, when your forces take an enemy capitol (or the other way around) , the conquered civ's flag could be lowered (and trampled in the dirt) and the conquering civ's flag could be raised. That could be a cool little animation that they could incorporate into the game.

However, since they haven't even drawn the graphics for the new Wonders, this idea is probably a little ways off.

As is, the only flags in the game (other than some leaderheads in various Conquests) are the ones used to tell how many units are in an Army. Those flags change w/ every age.

Flags for Capitols in Civ!
There, back OT.

Steven
Old January 7, 2004, 21:45   #25
MattPilot
Prince

I heard that any US flag on display must be clearly lighted at night or taken down. Some people were complaining in Tulsa, OK about this after 9-11 happened where everyone had flags sticking everywhere. I thought that was kinda odd. I guess if you don't plan on being 100% patriotic, dont be it at all

Btw, Do Texan's consider themselves living in Tex-'ass' ?
Old January 7, 2004, 22:50   #26
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MattPilot
I heard that any US flag on display must be clearly lighted at night or taken down. Some people were complaining in Tulsa, OK about this after 9-11 happened where everyone had flags sticking everywhere. I thought that was kinda odd. I guess if you don't plan on being 100% patriotic, dont be it at all

Btw, Do Texan's consider themselves living in Tex-'ass' ?
Why do you think we smell so bad? 'cause we're full of Bull****!

If you want to know about (US) flag etiquete, check this link:
US Flag Code

Steven
Old January 7, 2004, 23:39   #27
MattPilot
Prince

Thx, its all i never wanted to know

btw, i guess i was right:

"The U.S. Code states, “…when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.” (U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 6(a)) "
Old January 8, 2004, 00:00   #28
Elias
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 08:36
Hey while we are talking about confusing graphics in the game whats with the (10.10.0) that is shown next to you civlization name in the lower right corner of the screen you know its by where you click for diplomacy and to end your turn. the number changes during the game but i have know idea what it is.
Btw: wow you spent most of the page talking about correct grammer and spelling just thought id mention it.
Old January 8, 2004, 00:22   #29
MattPilot
Prince

there ya go about the numbers:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=105516
Old January 8, 2004, 07:21   #30
Plotinus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r

endeavour (spelling in honour of Plotinus)

Steven
Huzzah! You've made my day. You even managed "honour" too... ;-)

Fabulous stuff from the Flag Code people (although I'm a little disappointed to find that it's not enforceable by law... that would have been very amusing). It's another world.

Oh, and I'm not going to mention Elias' use of "grammer", so don't worry...