Old January 4, 2004, 21:39   #1
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
what was the worst PC game of 2003?
well, we have a thread about the best, now tell us what you think was the WORST PC game of 2003...

Is Master of Orion 3 from this year? If it is, then I have my winner...
Old January 4, 2004, 23:18   #2
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 10:36
Yeah, MoO3 was the poorest one that I bought. I'm sure that there were others that I did not buy that sucked even more.
Old January 5, 2004, 03:47   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:36
It was the worst one I bought as well, but I was not taking any flyers last year.
Old January 5, 2004, 05:59   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:36
Haha, I refuse to buy that thing.
Old January 5, 2004, 07:57   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:36
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I didn't even d/l it to try before buying. Poly reviews were enough to turn me off the game.
Old January 5, 2004, 09:30   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

yeah, MoO3, what a waste. And one measley patch. Shows what Civ3 would have been had firaxis patched once and flown the coop. My second worst that I purchased and played was GalCiv. Just never enjoyed it, seeemed boring to me. And the third crappy game I bought was RoN. Blah. god awful framerates on a semi-decent machine killed it for me.
Old January 5, 2004, 10:21   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:36
RoN is great now. I remember having problems with it initially, but apparently that has been fixed. Frame rates are good and more importantly, it doesn't crash the entire time on me.
Old January 5, 2004, 11:03   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 17:36
There's too many to mention... or even to remember... but for the worst one, I think it should go to: Postal 2

Basicly it was a first person shooter version of The Sims Insane (The next addon )

...and the coding for the game sucked also: The city (Which is a pretty small city) was divided up into many minor parts... very small parts... to get from one part of the city to another, you had to load a new city part about 5-6 times... and the loading time was too long also...
Old January 5, 2004, 11:14   #9
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:36
MOO3 was, unfortunetly, one of the few games I actually bought last year.

It gets my vote.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 5, 2004, 11:27   #10
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Either MoO3 or ToEE was the worst game I bought. I bet there was worse trash out there though.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 5, 2004, 13:14   #11
Bonaparte
Warlord

Morrowind GOTY gets my vote...half the people who bought it couldn't run it of their PCs (game has way to many issues), it's to hard to get from place to place, to much needs to be remembered (ie required info. isn't put in journal) and therefore it's more like being in a classroom than at home playing a game, controls are bad (should have kept the old, old Daggerfall controls), and finally it's the only game I ever had (and I have a lot) that actually gives me motion sickness.
Old January 5, 2004, 13:23   #12
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 16:36
I didn't play MOO3 in the end even though I was waiting for it expectantly......so I'm reticent to pick that even though it obviously bombed.

Of course Sims: Anything is a reasonable choice.
Old January 5, 2004, 15:10   #13
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:36
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike

Of course Sims: Anything is a reasonable choice.
I was about to say the same thing!

I find it amazing how Maxis can release one meaningless add-on after the other, almost twice a year, and people still buy them!! : puke :
Old January 5, 2004, 15:16   #14
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:36
Bonaparte:
Die Fetcher!
Old January 5, 2004, 15:21   #15
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Morrowind GOTY gets my vote...half the people who bought it couldn't run it of their PCs (game has way to many issues), it's to hard to get from place to place, to much needs to be remembered (ie required info. isn't put in journal) and therefore it's more like being in a classroom than at home playing a game, controls are bad (should have kept the old, old Daggerfall controls), and finally it's the only game I ever had (and I have a lot) that actually gives me motion sickness.
BAH! Ye of little taste . Morrowind is in my BEST PC game of the year. One of the best RPGs in history.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 5, 2004, 16:12   #16
Stuie
King

MOO3.

I only bought four "new" games this past year, and unfortunately MOO3 was one of them. Very disappointing.
Old January 5, 2004, 18:04   #17
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Nothing out there comes close to Moo3 for sheer, utter crapiness. Not only did the feckless losers who foisted this misbegotten abortion on the gaming comunity take a royal dump on their fanbase, they also manged to singlehandedly kill an ancient and venerable gaming franchaise by presenting the hugest pile of stinking digital excrement since Outpost as the new Moo crown jewel.
Old January 5, 2004, 18:26   #18
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 09:36
You should've just named the thread "MoO 3 the worst game of 2003".

Here's hoping it didn't completely kill the MoO series.
Old January 5, 2004, 18:31   #19
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It will be two years before we will beginto find out if it is dead or not. I hope not, but if it is not going to be any more fun than the last effort, don't bother.
Old January 6, 2004, 03:18   #20
Bonaparte
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui BAH! Ye of little taste . Morrowind is in my BEST PC game of the year. One of the best RPGs in history.
I rather read "War and Peace" than play that nauseating excuse for a game!
Old January 6, 2004, 04:38   #21
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonaparte
Morrowind GOTY gets my vote...half the people who bought it couldn't run it of their PCs (game has way to many issues),
I will conceed this. It does have stabilty issues, but its far from unrunable.

Quote:
it's to hard to get from place to place,
One has many options disposable, including just walking, Silt Striders, mark and recall, to even "COC" (which I use all the time)

Quote:
to much needs to be remembered (ie required info. isn't put in journal)
I've never had this happen to me

[QUOTE (should have kept the old, old Daggerfall controls), [/QUOTE]

Change them?

Quote:
and finally it's the only game I ever had (and I have a lot) that actually gives me motion sickness.
This one I've never quite heard of

You are sooo counter-revolutionary
Old January 6, 2004, 09:31   #22
Stuie
King

Quote:
....and finally it's the only game I ever had (and I have a lot) that actually gives me motion sickness.

Dark Forces did that to me. I ended up returning it (back in the day when you could actually do that) because my wife couldn't get past the fourth level and I couldn't help because the game made me feel so ill.
Old January 6, 2004, 12:03   #23
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 18:36
Morrowind is heaven or hell. Some users experience a ton of bugs, others don't. It runs very smoothly on my machine, and it was a great experience.

In 2003, my new games were RoN, AoM:Titans expansion (still haven't gotten the time to play it), Morrowind and I think that's it. Also Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, but that's not a game to buy but to download.

Of these, RoN was a great experience, too. As an RTS, it's fantastic, the first RTS that is actually good in single player. As for Multiplayer, the fact that RoN uses GameSpy is a major turnoff. Morrowind is an excellent RPG to me, though I haven't played many games of the genre. AoM:Titans still to be seen. Wolf:ET, though, is some of the best multiplay experience I have had in a while.

So, nothing really bad for me. Not unless it was so horrid that I no longer remember.
Old January 7, 2004, 03:05   #24
Bonaparte
Warlord

Oh, Morrowind runs just fine on my PC and the game never crashed...so no complaints there.

Comrade Tassadar now you know as well as I do that, although the controls can be changed, that they cannot be set the way daggerfall was in any way shape or form...remember all movement and attacks can be done with just the mouse in that game (ie move mouse up character walks forward).

As far as remembering stuff, yeah, there is a lot to remember, just to do one little side quest/task I had to remember the names and locations of 5 NPCs...and to top it off the locations were vague so you would have to approach character after character to find the ones you need to find. This happened a bunch of times...I wish I could give you an example, but I haven't played it in a while...I still need to get some dramamine before I do that.

Baldurs Gate, in my opinion, is the best RPG ever...to bad Black Isle Studios is no more.
Old January 7, 2004, 03:13   #25
Bonaparte
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Bonaparte:
Die Fetcher!
OK, I give, what are you telling me?
Old January 7, 2004, 06:27   #26
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:36
Quote:
it's the only game I ever had (and I have a lot) that actually gives me motion sickness.
For some strange reason, I get motion sickness from Deus-Ex (I'm fine with most other modern FPS). While everybody else raves about Deus-Ex, it literally makes me want to throw up

Oh, and while I didn't buy any new games last year, MOO3 is the worst game of 2003 I would definetly have bought if I hadn't read a review first
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old January 7, 2004, 09:36   #27
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I don't understand how people get motion sickness......is there some new virtual reality chair that whizzes you around the room that I didn't hear about?
Old January 7, 2004, 16:48   #28
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 09:36
I think flashy graphics or refresh rates trick your vision into simulating motion sickness, some people even go into eptileptic fits.
Old January 7, 2004, 18:59   #29
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:36
Quote:
Postal 2
ADG, have you been visitng warez sites?

Postal 2 also gets my vote for worst game of 2003, only because Ive not played MoO3 Im sure.

Quote:
Morrowind GOTY gets my vote...half the people who bought it couldn't run it of their PCs
I got it for x-box

Quote:
it's to hard to get from place to place
it is? It might take awhile to get some places but it's not difficult.

Quote:
to much needs to be remembered (ie required info. isn't put in journal) and therefore it's more like being in a classroom than at home playing a game
too bad I didnt think it like that, I would much prefer games that made you remember details and think more. unfortunatly since the majority of the market is a bunch of lazy 12 year old bums they have to spell everything out for us. (I dont mean to offend you if you are a 12 year old bum )

Quote:
and finally it's the only game I ever had (and I have a lot) that actually gives me motion sickness.
my mom has the same problem with just about evey game.

but, its all a matter of personal opinion
Old January 7, 2004, 19:06   #30
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I rather read "War and Peace" than play that nauseating excuse for a game!
Go ahead then . I'll play the best RPG ever made.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)