Old January 5, 2004, 15:32   #61
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 11:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Add Pakistan to the split list.

Continued US support to the current regime could trigger a civil war in the western, pro-Taliban provinces.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 5, 2004, 15:37   #62
Theben
Deity

The growing nationalist sentiments in Europe are just a backlash against the solidifying of the EU. It would require a strong, armed resistance to cause any split. Currently I don't see any in Western Europe capable of doing such.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 5, 2004, 18:19   #63
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Whoha
California will probably try to join mexico at some point, the other border states may as well. this will be particularly violent.
I'm really not sure that MECha (spelling?) is a strong enough separatist movement to trigger an uprising. And if it is, it's not strong enough to sustain it.
Old January 5, 2004, 18:28   #64
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 15:37
What of a Basque nation?
Old January 5, 2004, 18:46   #65
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 18:37
"I'm really not sure that MECha (spelling?) is a strong enough separatist movement to trigger an uprising. And if it is, it's not strong enough to sustain it."

Jeez, if they got Mechas, they're strong enough, in my book. Imagine the firepower... :drool:

...Ahem, how about Ahvenanmaa from Finland, perhaps to Sweden, independence seems quite unlikely... A fellow finn might know better, whether the majority of Ahvenanmaa's population would support such act.

...They speak swedish anyways... Just leeching from the motherland... grumble... Halme for Czar... grumble...

Ahem, how far is the AU, African Union?

And would it be even possible for Canada to join the USA? Or vice versa.
Old January 5, 2004, 19:14   #66
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 09:37
Quebec will, in the next 50 years, successfully and peacefully separate from Canada.

After 6 months, they will realize they are dumbasses for doing so.

Canada will wisely refuse to accept them back in.

---

"All empires crumble." In the next 300 years, expect the US to collapse, and expect it to take the entire world down with it.

The Chinese will rumble for a government that isn't oppressive, and edge provinces will rebel, but the mighty Chinese Army will quickly annihlate all resistance.

One of the Southern European states (Spain, Italy, etc) will get close to a seperation, but no split will actually happen, saved in the last minute by compromise and international mediation.

---

Unions: A few African nations, a few Asian nations, and maybe even two Central American republics.
Old January 5, 2004, 19:28   #67
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:37
London should just cut N.Ireland off. I'm fed up with paying taxes to keep them fighting. I've never met anyone in England who really cares about N.Ireland. Let it be a completely independent country with no outside interference. The UN can look in again in 10 years time when everyone is either dead or they resolved their petty issues.

[/not to be taken seriously]

The whole N.Ireland issue is something that ranks just below 'Whatever happened to Lord Lucan?' in terms of importance in my life. I really can't be bothered with it all. :\
Old January 5, 2004, 19:48   #68
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

Isnt the argument for Ireland uniting soon based on demographics - IE current situtation Protestants want a strong parliament at Stormont, with no authority from Dublin, while Catholics want some authority from Dublim to offset Protestant majority in Stormont. Once the Catholics have a majority in Stormont, what do the Protestants do, press for centralized rule from London? And will London feel obligated to bail out the minority in NI against the majority (versus current situation) Anyone have anything on demographic trends in Northern Ireland?
I think it's something like 30-40 years till the RC's hit majority.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 5, 2004, 21:21   #69
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 07:37
Places I'd like to see join the USA: BC, Baja California, Sonora, Chihuahua, Yukon, Kamchatka, Greenland, Iceland, Faroes, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Karelia.

Back when the USSR split, it was said that Moldova would likely join Romania. It seems like that's changed, am I correct?

Maybe Nunavut will split from Canada in a few hundred years.

Eventually, the capital of the USA will be Independence, Missouri.

Maybe the Samoas will merge.

Since it took so long for all the current Cantons to join, maybe Liechtenstein will become a canton.

Here in Sacramento, it doesn't seem like the state will join Mexico. Hmm, if it does should I move to Utah or become a Mexican?

Barring Norden from joining the USA, it would be cool if the EU becomes one nation on the maps.

Maybe Galicia will join Portugal.
Old January 5, 2004, 21:59   #70
C0ckney
King

it saddens me that englishmen can talk seriously about abandoning northern ireland to the catholics

NO SURRENDER TO THE IRA!

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 5, 2004, 22:44   #71
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
it saddens me that englishmen can talk seriously about abandoning northern ireland to the catholics

NO SURRENDER TO THE IRA!
What's in it for England to keep Northern Ireland in the Union?
Old January 5, 2004, 22:49   #72
C0ckney
King

the same as what's in it for us by keeping gibraltar and the falklands. preventing british people from falling under foreign rule.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 5, 2004, 22:56   #73
Dauphin
Deity

A foreign nation (read the British) is ruling Irish people as it is, but then that doesn't matter, cos we're British.

As far as foreign rule goes though I don't consider Ireland a nasty overlord, unlike Argentina.
Old January 5, 2004, 22:57   #74
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Good idea, just lop off the bits that aren't convenient to the average resident of London. Can we have Scotland, please?
Old January 5, 2004, 22:59   #75
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Good idea, just lop off the bits that aren't convenient to the average resident of London. Can we have Scotland, please?
Sure.

Of course such actions are nothing new. The UK ditched a lot of Commonwealth countries, and rigged foreign elections to promote cessation.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:01   #76
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Great! Now to get the hockey camps organised. I think they'll be naturals at swinging sticks and getting the elbows up. Skating they'll have to work on.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:01   #77
C0ckney
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
As far as foreign rule goes though I don't consider Ireland a nasty overlord, unlike Argentina.
i somehow doubt the average person in NI would agree with you though

Old January 5, 2004, 23:20   #78
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:37
Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
i somehow doubt the average person in NI would agree with you though
I'd take the Republic any day before an evil monarch
Old January 5, 2004, 23:38   #79
Dauphin
Deity

How can you call dear old Betty evil?
Old January 5, 2004, 23:46   #80
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
How can you call dear old Betty evil?
You have just called her a dear leader.

That immediately makes her on par with Kim Il Sung
Old January 6, 2004, 00:01   #81
Dauphin
Deity

I called a dear old >lady<. In fact most old women in the UK are refered to as dear old ladies.
Old January 6, 2004, 00:45   #82
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent
Places I'd like to see join the USA: BC, Baja California, Sonora, Chihuahua, Yukon, Kamchatka, Greenland, Iceland, Faroes, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Karelia.

Back when the USSR split, it was said that Moldova would likely join Romania. It seems like that's changed, am I correct?

Maybe Nunavut will split from Canada in a few hundred years.

Eventually, the capital of the USA will be Independence, Missouri.

Maybe the Samoas will merge.

Since it took so long for all the current Cantons to join, maybe Liechtenstein will become a canton.

Here in Sacramento, it doesn't seem like the state will join Mexico. Hmm, if it does should I move to Utah or become a Mexican?

Barring Norden from joining the USA, it would be cool if the EU becomes one nation on the maps.

Maybe Galicia will join Portugal.
Maybe Fiji will conquer the moon
Old January 6, 2004, 00:46   #83
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:
California will probably try to join mexico at some point, the other border states may as well. this will be particularly violent.
What incentive could California have to join Mexico?
Old January 6, 2004, 01:14   #84
Bearcat
King

Has anyone considered South Africa? There are still Afrikaners who want to see an independent "volkstaat".
Old January 6, 2004, 01:16   #85
Kuciwalker
Deity

It is a joke
Old January 6, 2004, 01:21   #86
Mordoch
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

What incentive could California have to join Mexico?
I think this comes from a combination of paying attention to a very small minority of Mexican immigrants and nasty stereotyping. While economic reasons may be the primary reason Mexican immigrants come to the US, many of them certainly recognize that the government of the two countries may have something to do with the conditions of the economies, and corruption in Mexico reaches heights that make the US look pristine by comparison. While its one thing to be proud of your herritage, most Mexicans who have been in the US for awhile will definately not be attracted to the idea of being stuck with the Mexican government again.

Second generation Mexican immigrants are going to generally find this idea even less appealing, and I don't see what possible attraction getting annexed by Mexico would have to Asian immigrants.
Old January 6, 2004, 01:28   #87
Mordoch
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Bearcat
Has anyone considered South Africa? There are still Afrikaners who want to see an independent "volkstaat".
Not remotely plausible. White South Africans were always a small minority, and now they have lost exclusive control of government agencies that allowed them to remain in power, such as the military. A substancial number of While South Africans have also engaged in "white flight" and already emmigrated to another country, making the percentage left even smaller.
Old January 6, 2004, 01:47   #88
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
sigh... people still hanging on to the absurd idea of monarchy and divine right?
Actually a constitutional monarchy is the most stable and just form of governance there is.
Old January 6, 2004, 01:52   #89
Kuciwalker
Deity

Old January 6, 2004, 02:01   #90
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:37
It is!

Just look at the French. What Republic are we on now?

As for Canada, it's not going to happen. BC and Alberta just want a bigger part in Canada rather than be out of Canada. The folks in Quebec only agree with sovereignty when they think it means they can keep Canadian passports.