View Poll Results: Should I get a Gamecube?
Yes! 8 34.78%
No, get a PS2 3 13.04%
No, get an X-Box 3 13.04%
No, wait for X-Box/PS2 to come down in price 0 0%
No, don't get any 7 30.43%
No, get a banana 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 5, 2004, 02:39   #1
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Should I get a GameCube?
Ok, so the last console I got was a Nintendo 64 (which I split with my bro), but I hardly played anything on it.

So when the Gamecube dropped to $99, I thought it may be time to get a new console for games only on consoles (like NCAA 2004) or games that work better on consoles (like sports games or platformers). I figured the Playstation 2 and then the X-Box would drop to the $99 mark (based on rumors), but that hasn't come to pass.

The thing that appeals most about the GC is the price tag. I can't justify $180 or whatever for X-Box or PS2. I personally like the X-Box the best of all three. So should I go for the GC or wait for the X-Box/PS2 to come down in price or what?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 5, 2004, 02:45   #2
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:37
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I vote PS2, as in Play Sony Twice as hard. I reckon you will notice the price difference when playing the games.

Have fun either way.
Old January 5, 2004, 03:03   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
I have none of this generation of consoles, but were I to get one I would get the GameCube.
Old January 5, 2004, 03:41   #4
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:37
Actually, CT, since the GC price drop, it's been selling very well. Had they not dropped the price, perhaps you'd be correct.

Imran: It comes down to the games you want to play. Can your PC handle KOTOR? If not, then pick up an XBox to play it. Knowing your love of Baldur's Gate, this is waaaaay better than BG, especially if you like the Star Wars setting. Done right.

If you do pick up a GC, get Eternal Darkness though. Great game experience there. If you have people to play it with, Super Smash Brothers Melee is pretty much a requirement. Possibly Soul Calibur II as well, if you're into fighting.

I was half-tempted to pick up a Cube myself back when they had that Zelda bonus disc offer, but I think I missed out on it. Sigh.
Old January 5, 2004, 03:47   #5
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Can your PC handle KOTOR?
Yep... and I've beaten it. Good game .

And I mostly want the GC for NCAA 2004. But extras are good .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old January 5, 2004, 05:10   #6
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 03:37
PS2
Old January 5, 2004, 05:15   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:37
If you didn't play your N64 much, you won't play a Gamecube much. I didn't play my N64 much except for Goldeneye, Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Perfect Dark...

And my Gamecube sits idle for months on end. Regret buying it.

If you're into console RPGs (Final Fantasy, Dark Cloud, etc), go PS2.
Otherwise, go Xbox.
Old January 5, 2004, 08:08   #8
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 15:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

And my Gamecube sits idle for months on end. Regret buying it.

If you're into console RPGs (Final Fantasy, Dark Cloud, etc), go PS2.
Otherwise, go Xbox.
But you've RPG's like Morrowind game of the year on xbox - its got to be one of the ultimate console rpg's?
Add KOTOR to the mix for a great starwars rpg and with 'Fable' around the corner, you have maybe the most involved and complete rpg's on any console?

Anyway why not sell/part exchange your old N64? that way the stretch for an xbox wont be so bad...........

but yeah the Gamecube may seem cheap, but there might be a reason why.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old January 5, 2004, 13:28   #9
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 16:37
I voted for don't get any.
Old January 5, 2004, 13:46   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
But you've RPG's like Morrowind game of the year on xbox - its got to be one of the ultimate console rpg's?
I ain't gonna play RPGs on the thing . I got a PC for that... and Morrowind & KOTOR on my PC.

Quote:
If you didn't play your N64 much, you won't play a Gamecube much.
Well there were a few reasons for not playing the N64... mainly because I went away to school soon after getting it and the system stayed at home. That, and I really didn't like the controller.

I'd basically be getting it for NCAA 2004, maybe Tony Hawk (maybe not though), and perhaps some other titles here and there.

And it ~$100 cheaper than the others .
Old January 5, 2004, 13:59   #11
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

dont get ps2. ps2 tends to break easy. (sony claims new models dont have as much problems, but you'll probably end up sending that one back to sony within an year...) And if ur really unlucky, warranty wont cover for that ****.

get an xbox. its only 50 bucks more than gc and ou'll like the games more if ur a pc gamer.
Old January 5, 2004, 14:28   #12
Space05us
King

ps2s break?

mines till works perfectly and Ive had it for long enough to forget when I got it.
Old January 5, 2004, 15:12   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

(I have both a ps2 and GC)

I feel like killing myself while waiting for NCAA2004 to load on the PS2. The load times are atrocious.

If I were you, I would get a GC, since the sports games are all very similar if not exact, and the 50 bucks saved can get you a game (or two used).

I would get a ps2 if I were used to the controller (ps2 has, imho, the best controller of the 3) and needed a dvd player. Barring that, and the final fantasy games, I would go GC. SMKD is more enjoyable for me than any exclusive ps2 game I've played
Old January 5, 2004, 15:14   #14
Imran Siddiqui
staff

asleep: How is the GC's control pad for sports gaming?
Old January 5, 2004, 15:27   #15
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Its alright, it took a little while for me to adjust from the PS2 pad, but once I did, it worked well. The oddest button is the Z (?), small button on the front of the controller used by the right index finger. A bit awkward to use that one in conjuntion with the large button right below it. Since you are used to the N64, it probably won't be as big a leap for you as it was for me to get used to it, evolutionary and whatnot.

I've played the NHL and SSX (among others) series on the GC and have found them to as easily played as on the PS2, once I got used to it. You might go to EB or something and just check out the button layout, since sports games require a bit more tactile control than other games.
Old January 5, 2004, 15:50   #16
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 07:37
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Here's my 2 cents.

The GameCube is by far the worst of the 3 systems; however, its ridiculously cheap price makes up for that somewhat. Zelda Windwalker and Mario Kart Double Dash are very good games but other than that there's not much that wouldn't be better played on another system. Also I personally despise the GC controller. The buttons are clunky and in weird places. Also, the system lacks a lot of power. It has a slightly faster processor than the PS2 but it's graphically the worst. That's why all the games on it look cartoony.

The PS2 is okay... graphically better than the GC but definitely inferior to the Xbox. The controllers are nice. The library of games to play is the biggest by far, though as far as really good games go, it has about the same amount as the Xbox. It just has a huge selection of mediocre games. If you wanna spend the extra money for a network adapter all EA Sports games and Tony Hawk Underground have exclusive online stuff with the PS2.
NOTE - I can 100% confirm what Zero said about PS2 hardware. More than 50% of PS2's by my estimation (maybe even higher) just stop working after a year or so. Cleaning the lense will temporarily fix the problem but it will come back. XPlay on TechTV did a segment about this and claims the problem is with a really cheap gear piece that's suppose to keep the lense aligned but ends up moving when it's not supposed to. They said you can make it work just by lining it up, but it seems like a bunch of work for something that shouldn't have broken in the first place.

So my recommendation is... the XBOX
While the big controllers are weird, the S controllers are as good if not better than the PS2 controllers. Graphically the Xbox is best + it comes with a 8 gig harddrive built in (no need for memory cards) + it comes with a built in network adapter. It's also got some pretty kickass games and some others coming out soon. Halo, Halo2 (soon), Rallisport Challenge, Rallisport 2 (soon), True Fantasy Online (soon), Fable (drools... soon), Crimson Skies (I don't like it but others do). Oh, and if you wanna play online it's retarded not to do it on the Xbox. The support and the community are infinitely better than the PS2 online or the nonexistent GC online.

Price - Gamecube (Xbox 2nd because everything on the PS2 is a peripheral you have to buy, you even need a peripheral to play with 4 people)
Sports games - PS2 (barely, it's pretty even here)
RPG's - PS2
Racing games - Xbox
Shooters - Xbox (by far)
Durability - Xbox (with GC second)
Graphics, Speed, Power - Xbox
Online Play - Xbox

Oh, I understand that EA is supposed to be coming to terms with Microsoft over online play so when that happens Xbox and PS2 will be tied for sports games IMO.

Basically, I'd recommend an Xbox
Old January 5, 2004, 17:00   #17
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
No. The Gamecube is considered by far to be the failing system of the three.
Soon it will die out.

Not that the other three can even compare to the glory of the PC.
Old January 5, 2004, 17:08   #18
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
ps2s break?

mines till works perfectly and Ive had it for long enough to forget when I got it.
consider yourself lucky. Just google ps2, problems, trobleshoot and you get millions of angry ppl wondering what the hell is wrong with theirs... like bustamike said, most of them ps2 has problem with disc reader, but it has other rare problems as well.

Im not saying ps2 isnt worth buying, but if ur a pc gamer then you'll end up hating it, then loathing it when it breaks. If you're into consoles and modding like me, you wont mind opening up consoles and tinkering with stuffs, buying extra parts etc...
Old January 5, 2004, 17:16   #19
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
that question would be irrelevant if you have a converter. I can only use (ironically) GC control for madden cause guy who introduced me to madden 2k4 had gc. Most madden players play in ps2. I havent tried it before, but it would be possible to play ps2 games with gc control or vice versa with converters. (I dunno how slecting play buttons would be if you do this though)... I havent ttried using converter for sports games yet, but it works wonderfully with fighting games like soul calibur.
Old January 5, 2004, 17:27   #20
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The Gamecube controller was designed specifically for first-party Nintendo games in mind. And Nintendo's recent idea for gaming is games don't need to be complex (read: make them simple) to be fun.

The buttons are just weird sizes and in unconventional places. They feel very cheap, too. I don't like them...
Old January 5, 2004, 19:55   #21
Space05us
King

Quote:
most of them ps2 has problem with disc reader
that was just a with the older models, the "newer" ones dont get that problem.

I'll throw my vote in for the PS2. I stopped liking Nintendo when they came out with the N64. Of course there's always the backup of Sega Dreamcast or Saturn
Old January 5, 2004, 20:41   #22
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I've had several friends RMA their PS2 for the cost of $100US because the drives broke.

I got my Xbox on launch day and it still works like a charm.

One thing to keep in mind with the PS2 is the hidden costs compared to Xbox:
  • Need to buy 8MB memory cards for insane amounts of money
  • Need to buy a network adapter if you want online play
  • Need to buy the hard drive (available soon) if you want downloadable content/more drive space
  • Need to buy multitap to get more than 2 players (and 4 players is awesome for sports games...)

All of those are standard on Xbox.
Old January 6, 2004, 00:04   #23
Space05us
King

Quote:
Need to buy 8MB memory cards for insane amounts of money
which can be easily carried from one ps2 to another, allowing you to bring your character/save game/team to another person house to play against them/with them.(they only cost $15, and unless you're some freak you only really need one)

Quote:
Need to buy a network adapter if you want online play
thats what computers are for

Quote:
Need to buy the hard drive (available soon) if you want downloadable content/more drive space
again, computers.

Quote:
Need to buy multitap to get more than 2 players (and 4 players is awesome for sports games...)
this is a definet downside.
Old January 6, 2004, 00:08   #24
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 07:37
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:

Bull!!! Tell me that there are any racing games on the computer than are even close in quality to those on consoles and I'll call you a liar. MotoGP 2, Project Gotham 2, Rallisport 2 (soon) are all completely online integrated and it's freakin' awesome. Nothing like it even comes close on a PC.
Old January 6, 2004, 00:49   #25
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
which can be easily carried from one ps2 to another, allowing you to bring your character/save game/team to another person house to play against them/with them.(they only cost $15, and unless you're some freak you only really need one)
You can buy those memory cards for Xbox, but the point is they're not a REQUIRED additional cost, as they are for PS2s.

I got a keychain 8MB memory card for free from MS for testing Live anyway.

Quote:
Quote:
Computers have a totally different online experience and game selection. Why can't you play both online?

I love both totally.

Quote:
again, computers.
This is bull -- how is it a bad thing for developers to release additional cars, missions, planes, tracks, characters, etc?
Old January 6, 2004, 01:40   #26
Imran Siddiqui
staff

For those who don't plan to play online, I guess the network adapter price doesn't matter .
Old January 6, 2004, 12:11   #27
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Imran--

You probably know what I'm gonna say.

I love the GameCube.

There is so much snobbery about consoles, but if you don't care to play online, there is really no major substantive difference between them. Apart from price, that is.

I have no difficulties with the sports controls at all; the Z button is a little odd, but it is rarely used. (It's "lateral" in football games, for instance--important if you're running the option, but otherwise safely ignored.) Otherwise, the controls are fine. The GC also has the advantage of having a first-rate wireless controller, the Wavebird--from what I've read, nothing else comes close with the PS2 or XBox.

Now, apart from NCAA Football and other crossplatform titles (sports and otherwise), there are some truly excellent GC-exclusive games. Already mentioned are Eternal Darkness, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Super Smash Brothers Melee, and Zelda: Wind Waker. To that list I'd like to add: Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, and F-Zero GX. These are just the ones I've played, and I really don't have that much time for it.

Get the Cube. You'll enjoy it.
Old January 6, 2004, 12:41   #28
asleepathewheel
Emperor

also the GC has the GB Player now, which is a dream come true for me, I hate the tiny gameboy screen. I love playing mario3 again! And those games are half the price of a gc game but just as enjoyable IMHO, if not more.
Old January 6, 2004, 21:12   #29
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I bought a Gameboy Advance SP today, and Nintendo's ****ing site won't let me register it because they insist the S/N printed clearly on the thing is not valid.

And yes, I've quadruple-checked it.
Old January 6, 2004, 21:24   #30
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Why the f*ck do I need to pay extra for a HEADPHONE ADAPTER for the GBA? Jesus Christ.

Nintendo and Sony really piss me off with their unreasonable policies.

I never thought I'd see the day when MS was the nicest to consumers compared to all their competition.