View Poll Results: Should I get a Gamecube?
Yes! 8 34.78%
No, get a PS2 3 13.04%
No, get an X-Box 3 13.04%
No, wait for X-Box/PS2 to come down in price 0 0%
No, don't get any 7 30.43%
No, get a banana 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 6, 2004, 21:27   #31
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Stick with the N64.

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario, Donkey Kong, both Zelda games...

What else do you need? Just Perfect Dark and 3 friends and a few beers is enough for any man (and a big TV and the volume up to MAXIMUM )

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 6, 2004, 21:34   #32
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:37
Perfect Dark's framerate really bothered me. Slideshow-esque.
Old January 6, 2004, 21:48   #33
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 07:37
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
N64 = vomit. GoldenEye is quite possibly the worst FPS I have ever played. I can't believe anyone liked that system compared to the Playstation.
Old January 6, 2004, 22:54   #34
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:37
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I voted not getting any. So there.
Old January 6, 2004, 22:56   #35
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
Wait for Xbox to come down in price.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old January 7, 2004, 01:28   #36
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Asher, you got any rumors when that might be (PS2 and then XBox dropping in price)?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 7, 2004, 01:46   #37
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:37
Quote:
This is bull -- how is it a bad thing for developers to release additional cars, missions, planes, tracks, characters, etc?
because eventualy they'll turn console games into computer games, they'll be release months before they are actually finished and buggy as hell. The major plus of console gaming is that the games dont need a million patches before you can play it.
Old January 7, 2004, 02:54   #38
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
because eventualy they'll turn console games into computer games, they'll be release months before they are actually finished and buggy as hell. The major plus of console gaming is that the games dont need a million patches before you can play it.
Worst argument I've heard in a long time.

The major plus of console gaming is static hardware, which DRASTICALLY reduces the number of bugs in games since everyone's got the same configuration. The reason is NOT the lack of patching it, though that may help.

Though, this has occured to some extent. In the original MechAssault, once a game was over everyone returned to the main menu. People *****ed heavily, because they wanted to be returned to a lobby of some sort with the same players they were just with, incase they wanted to play again.

Lo and behold, an "update" appeared automatically a few months later that added that. The update also added some new game modes the developers were working on (including the best, Capture the Flag) and a bunch of new Mechs. It was completely free, btw.

In addition to the benefits of downloadable contents (including updated rosters for sports games, player stats, etc), it can allow for balance changes and updates. I've never played an XBL game that was buggy...
Old January 7, 2004, 02:55   #39
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Asher, you got any rumors when that might be (PS2 and then XBox dropping in price)?
Not a clue. Expect it before Christmas 2004.

But I think before MS drops the price anymore, they'll need a new version that's more compact to save money.
Old January 7, 2004, 09:39   #40
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Well they may be forced that hand if PS2 drops to Gamecube (or there abouts) levels, I'd think.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old January 7, 2004, 18:31   #41
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Not a clue. Expect it before Christmas 2004.

But I think before MS drops the price anymore, they'll need a new version that's more compact to save money.
Or maybe a bigger one - larger,older,cheaper componants.

Xbox2 might be the size of a small car but only cost £40
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old January 7, 2004, 19:23   #42
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:37
Quote:
you wont be saying that in a few years, just wait and see.
Old January 7, 2004, 21:31   #43
vee4473
King

Local Time: 10:37
Imran,

this seems to have degenerated into a PC vs. console thread.

Not what you were looking for i'm sure. You asked what console to buy, not whether they were better than pc's.

I believe if you want to consider buying a console, you have to consider the games you want to play.

If you want family oriented (and trademarked) games like mario, zelda, yoshi etc... gamecube is it.

For other "adult" games, you can be safe with either xbox or ps2 since they both seem to have the same games with not much difference in quality.

that's really what it boils down to i think.

I almost bought a gamecube simply for the zelda series.
Not to mention the price.
Old January 8, 2004, 00:29   #44
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Imran: IGN posted this today: http://xbox.ign.com/articles/449/449361p1.html

Quote:
Electronics Boutique's CFO, James Smith, stated that he expects console price cuts to commence late in quarter 1, or early in quarter 2 2004. He was not drawn on what the new prices may be, or who would take the initiative on cutting them.
Old January 11, 2004, 01:43   #45
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I just saw that... it's very interesting indeed. I hope they are correct. The rumor was that the PS2 would drop in price for Christmas '03, but they were wrong.

I'm seriously leaning towards the GC mostly for the price, but secondly, because the relative lack of space it takes up (I just realized I'd have to come up with something creative in my entertainment system if I got an X-Box (if it comes down to X-Box and PS2 with the same price, I'll pick an X-Box).

Also the GC apparently has the best wireless controller (though it seems its controller is the worst designed from what I've read/heard).

It is hard to ignore the price... mostly because I don't plan on playing the console for much more than sports.
Old January 11, 2004, 03:19   #46
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

GC does indeed have the best wireless controller. (I played alot of games while trying to balance myself on indo board )

PS2 is the best "console game" console system. Meaning, genres that arent good in PC (fighters,racing, sport etc) are usually best for ps2.

xbox is the best pc gamer friendly and bridges console-pc well (so if you wanna play sports games and etc and yet dont wanna dive too deep into console world...)

gc would be only good if you really like nintendo games. They dont have alot of good games that arent from nintendo.
Old January 11, 2004, 03:31   #47
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

If you really hate the GC controller
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-24-70-29s.html
Quote:
The Keyboard Converter 2in1 allows you to connect either your PS/2 compatible Keyboard or your PlayStation™/PlayStation2™ compatible controller to be connected to your Game Cube™.

The PS/2 Keyboard function is ideal for online gamers who wish to use their Keyboard for games such as Phantasy Star Online or others.

The PS™/PS2™ function allows you to connect your favourite PlayStation™ controller and play your Cube games with pads such as the Dual Shock 2™. The Converter supports vibration function and automatically detects analog/digital mode.

The Keyboard Converter 2in1 is easy to use and a great accessory for all Game Cube™ users. No external power supply is required and you can leave Keyboard & Controller connected at the same time.
I'd recommend getting this one because this supports both digital and analog pads. You can try to get nyko or other converter from cheesy company, but most dont support digital or analog.

I play this game called soul calibur II on GC/PS2/xbox controller. i used to use the converter to use my ps2 arcade stick when playing on GC cause I hated it, but now Im used to the gc control and can play all 3 equally well. It just takes some time getting used to. If I have to choose, I'll still say GC is the worst control wise and ps2 is better than xbox. Even while playing the same game, the kind of controller i use has quite a noticable effect on how fast i can pull off things etc...
Old January 11, 2004, 03:44   #48
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

The major plus of console gaming is static hardware, which DRASTICALLY reduces the number of bugs in games since everyone's got the same configuration. The reason is NOT the lack of patching it, though that may help.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old January 11, 2004, 12:09   #49
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Well, Tass... if you can find an easy way to upgrade a laptop, I'm all ears .
Old January 11, 2004, 12:36   #50
Panzeh
Chieftain

PS2's the only console with real wargames, and for that I prefer the PC or SNES. The problem is PS2's wargames are mostly made by Koei and therefore seem rather Japanese in design.
Old January 11, 2004, 23:34   #51
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Ok, I went with the 'evil empire' .

X-Box it is! They didn't have a Gamecube or NCAA 2004 where I went, so I rationalised and rationalized and decided the X-Box wasn't that much (since it comes with it's own hard drive as well).
Old January 12, 2004, 01:25   #52
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Where did you hear that? PS2's the one with the nasty reputation.
Old January 12, 2004, 01:28   #53
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Imran: Do you know anyone who has Xbox Live? If so, you should lend the headset from him and a sports Xbox Live game.

If you buy any game that is on Xbox Live, it comes with a two-month free trial. I'd strongly recommend you try it out.

I know you're not a fan of multiplayer consoles, but sports games on Live are excellent. XSN Sports is the new network MS has for it: www.xsnsports.com.

It supports league play (as in, you can join a league and have scheduled games, etc), tournaments, stats tracking, etc.
Old January 12, 2004, 01:28   #54
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 07:37
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Plus, XBOX has a nasty reputation of breaking down.
What the hell are you talking about Tass? You've said yourself you don't play any consoles. And it's the PS2 that has the nasty habit of breaking. A 30 second search on google will prove that easily. The Xbox is a tank compared to the other systems (and it's ridiculously bulky compared to them too ).

Quote:
Originally posted by PanzehPS2's the only console with real wargames, and for that I prefer the PC or SNES. The problem is PS2's wargames are mostly made by Koei and therefore seem rather Japanese in design.
What do you mean by war games? AFAIK the Xbox has the most war games. Wolfenstein, Call to Arms, Rainbow Six 3, etc...

for getting the Xbox Imran. You should check out Top Spin if you like sports games. Sure sure the game is just a glorified pong, but it really is fun. Also, if you buy Prince of Persia right now you get a free copy of Splinter Cell. It's a pretty good deal for 2 decent games.
Old January 12, 2004, 01:55   #55
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Do you know anyone who has Xbox Live? If so, you should lend the headset from him and a sports Xbox Live game.

If you buy any game that is on Xbox Live, it comes with a two-month free trial. I'd strongly recommend you try it out.

I know you're not a fan of multiplayer consoles, but sports games on Live are excellent.
Unfortunetly I don't. And it isn't just multiplayer consoles I don't like... mp on the PC also bothers me . I guess I'm one of the few single player enthusiasts left .

Quote:
You should check out Top Spin if you like sports games. Sure sure the game is just a glorified pong, but it really is fun. Also, if you buy Prince of Persia right now you get a free copy of Splinter Cell. It's a pretty good deal for 2 decent games.
I already spent MORE than I wanted to (by a good deal, I guess ). I won't be getting another game for a bit. And when that day comes, I think it'll be NBA Street 2. I hate basketball, but that game is addicting (at least it was when I played it at the store ).
Old January 12, 2004, 02:21   #56
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Have you not played Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell yet?

That game is excellent. It's out on all of the consoles, but the Gamecube and PS2 ports are seriously lacking in comparison to the Xbox & PC.
Old January 12, 2004, 02:26   #57
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
I've heard at many places that the XBOX disk drive is highly prone to breaking down, and my experiences have proven this.
They break down as often PC hard disks do. That is to say, not much.

It does happen, just not very often, especially for < 5 year old drives.

The rate of failure on PS2s, particularly the disc drive on them, is enormous in comparison.
Old January 12, 2004, 03:24   #58
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:37
Can someone tell me what is the point of buying an Xbox when one already has a good (a better) PC? Thanks
Old January 12, 2004, 03:43   #59
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

One plays console games, one plays PC games.

You're welcome.
Old January 12, 2004, 03:51   #60
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:37
You mean there are many Xbox games that are not being ported to PC?