Old January 5, 2004, 02:42   #1
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Undercurrents
Southern News "Breaking Story" music plays

Hi, viewers, Shepard Smith here. Let's go live to Flaim, the capital of Alecrast, where I'm told there has been a major incident near the Monarch's residence.

Scene changes to an attractive blonde woman standing on the street. In the background a large marble palace is visible.

"Linda Harris here, Shep. Alecrast is, of course, no stranger to political upheaval, but today's scenes here took everyone by surprise. At about 1:30 our time, a group of about a hundred protestors blocked the driveway of the Monarch's residence. Right over here (she points towards the high metal fence behind her).

"Now, usually demonstrations focus on some aspect of Alecrastian policy that people disagree with. Today, though, the demonstrators were apparently calling for the Lord-Captain to step down. We've obtained one of the banners that was being waved at the residence, I'll hold it up so the camera can see it."

She holds a large piece of cardboard at chest height. It reads "We Demand Democracy In Alecrast" in large red letters.

"Shep, there's usually lots of disagreement in Alecrastian politics, but this is the first time that anybody can recall any kind of demand for an actual change in the governmental system. People have generally had a lot of faith in the Alecrastian system since the end of the Chaos Wars.

"After that there was a lecture, with very strong anti-monarchist content. It called the Lord-Captain an 'absolute ruler' and called for him to resign. The police observed but did not intervene, as generally happens with peaceful protests here in Alecrast.

"Apparently, Shep, this isn't the end of it. Several television stations, including Southern News' Alecrast branch, have received anonymous letters promising nationwide anti-monarchist demonstrations tomorrow. The authorities are keeping a close eye on this, and I'm sure we'll hear something official from the Lord-Captain soon. Shep?"

Scene changes back to Southern News main studio

Thank you, Linda. I've just received a business-related item on my desk here. I'm told that the Alecrast Broadcasting Corporation's board of directors has accepted a bid from the Centralian banker, Zacharias Meyer, that will make him the owner of that company.

The board hasn't divulged the exact figure he payed, although it's reported to be very, very large.

Stay tuned for Your World With Neil Baker, at the top of the hour.
Old January 8, 2004, 01:12   #2
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
Local Date: November 3, 2010
[Live from ABC offices in Terribi, ABC anchor Rick Baxton]

"Good evening viewers. As all of you should know, I'm Rick Baxton, here for what will likely be my last appearance on this network.

"As a lot of you probably know, the Centralian banker Zacharias Meyer recently bought this company for a very tidy sum - and while the exact figure is confidential, I can say that it's set a lot of lucky shareholders up for life.

"Anyway, as a condition of the sale, myself and a number of other senior staff members and directors agreed to retire on very generous severence packages, to be replaced by appointees of the new management. And when I say generous, I mean generous - I could live like a king for the rest my life without having to work another day.

"In case you're wondering what I'm planning to do with that money - I intend to take a long holiday somewhere peaceful, then settle down someplace nice and sunny, and possibly write a book about my experiences.

"Anyway, enough rambling about me - over to our new anchor, Alina Rosenfeld, for today's news.

*scene cuts to a middle-aged woman with darkly tanned skin and short black hair, wearing a dark blue suit*

"Thanks, Rick. I'm sure our viewers all wish you a nice retirement, and I for one would love to read about some of your experiences here.

"Anyway, on to tonight's news. As promised by yesterday's letters, today saw anti-monarchist demonstrations in virtually every city in Alecrast, with the largest, in Flaim, numbering at least 10 000 according to the organisers. Political commentators are at something of a loss to explain this upsurge, with theories ranging from declining economic conditions - which don't seem to exist - to foreign conspiracies, promulgated by some of the more extreme monarchists. Some of them make quite amusing reading; unfortunately I don't have time to recount any here, but next week's feature on conspiracy theories is sure to feature a couple.

"Now, on to international news. The Naori situation continues to escalate, with Centralis despatching another 400 000 troops to the area, and the first Karakasian forces leaving for Tarasaki..."
Old January 13, 2004, 11:12   #3
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 16:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I just don't get it ?
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom