Old January 5, 2004, 10:40   #1
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Turns in Anarchy
When I start a revolution with a non-religious civ I will always spend some turns in anarchy before I can choose a new type of government.

Does anyone know the details on how long anarchy will last? By experience I have found that larger empires will stay longer in anarchy.

Just for testing I started a revolution in a regent c3c game and was told it were gonna take 6 turns. I then reloaded the game, built a city, then started a revolution and then had to spend 7 turns in anarcy.. Appearantly hit some treshold there.

Details anyone, please?

BTW, if you happen to have an 'old' formula for vanilla civ3 or ptw I will happily accept that as well
Old January 5, 2004, 11:04   #2
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 11:38
I'm not positive, but I believe that the number of turns is randomly generated and not definitely linked to empire size. I've had huge empires and only been in anarchy for 5 turns, and I've done the despotism-to-republic switch early in the game and had 7 turn anarchy.

Jesse from Firaxis posted recent to say that said they were looking to weigh the roll so that most anarchy periods last 3-5 turns.
Old January 5, 2004, 13:19   #3
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:38
Are there "oedo years" in Civ3 or is it a more complex formula now?
Old January 5, 2004, 13:20   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

No oedo years in CivIII, no. I thought it was 3-7 years for non-religious civs, with larger civs having a higher chance at longer anarchy.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 5, 2004, 14:01   #5
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tall Stranger
Jesse from Firaxis posted recent to say that said they were looking to weigh the roll so that most anarchy periods last 3-5 turns.
I'd really appreciate this change. At the moment, a second government switch (besides 'get the hell out of despotism') is almost never worth it for non-religious civs.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old January 5, 2004, 15:21   #6
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

It's all a result of the RNG then?

'Oedo years' What's that? Another way of saying it is a formula hidden behind somewhere?
Old January 5, 2004, 15:36   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

oedo years, IIRC, were discovered by a poster named oedo - in CivII, every fourth turn was a year in which a revolution would only take 1 turn. So if you revolted at the right time, you had 1 turn anarchy, but if you did it the next turn, you were in for 3 turns of anarchy.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 5, 2004, 17:13   #8
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Wow, thought I knew just about everythng about civ2 by now...you learn something every day I guess, even if that particular piece of knowledge is a bit redundant now
Old January 5, 2004, 18:24   #9
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Tall Stranger
So, they're nerfing Religious too?!
They've toned-down most of the other traits, why not Religious too?

Ok, so I'm ranting a little bit. Religious would still be 'better' than without it, like Industrial and Commercial traits. (or did they actually beef-up Commercial????)

Whatever the possible outcome, I will either find a way to play w/ the new rules, or I will mod my own.

Steven
Old January 6, 2004, 03:25   #10
Cerbykins
Warlord

Local Time: 15:38
Obviosuly someone who's never had a 9-turn period of anarchy (I'm sure it was 9...)
Anyway, on average, my anarchy lasts around 8 turns. BADLY needed. The fact that some folks refuse to leave their religious civs prove this
Old January 6, 2004, 03:38   #11
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Haven't been so bad if you knew how it worked, then you could time your revolutions better. Even shortened it a bit, once you knew the deciding factors.
Old January 6, 2004, 09:25   #12
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 10:38
Here's what I do:

1. Wait til the end of turn.

2. Save game.

3. Go to Happiness Advisor.

4. Choose a revolution, and the advisor will say "We're in a state of Anarchy right now. It's touch and go; we should have a gov in about X turns."

5. If X is more than 5, than reload from that Save and play another turn before trying again.

Anarchy can last anywhere from 3 to 7 turns.
and in the darkness bind them.
Old January 6, 2004, 09:36   #13
bongo
lifer
Emperor

So...it is random...?

Reloading isn't always an option, right now I'm playing a PBEM and I'm trying to get an overview over how many turns I can except to spend in anarchy before I start the revolt. Guess I just have to close my eyes, point at a date and start the revolution then. I can then open the old saves, and try to find a pattern(if one exist)
Old January 6, 2004, 15:39   #14
Iron Jackson
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Prince

Kind of a formula for non-religious civs:

3 + a number between 1 and 5 (I think it depends on how large your empire is)

4 turns is the minimum number of turns for non-religious civs in anarchy.
Old January 7, 2004, 04:02   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:38
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Iron Jackson - where did this formula come from? is it your own observations or did you see this elsewhere?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 7, 2004, 20:15   #16
vee4473
King

Local Time: 10:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Jackson

i'm pretty sure I have had anarchy less than 4 turns as the americans occasionally
Old January 7, 2004, 21:04   #17
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 08:38
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Iron Jackson - where did this formula come from? is it your own observations or did you see this elsewhere?
It was an explanation from Soren Johnson a long time ago. If I've got the "link to specific post" feature correctly, you should see it by clicking HERE. (If I don;t have the "link to post" I almost certainly have the correct thread linked).

And BTW, pre-C3C you could have 1-turn anarchies as a non-religious civ (0r 8-turn anarchies ): 1 - 5 turns randomly and an additional 0 - 3 turns based on empire size.

Catt
Old January 8, 2004, 03:37   #18
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Excellent

Old January 8, 2004, 08:22   #19
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: November 3, 2010
How interesting, the places we can do our homework...

Thanks
Old January 8, 2004, 08:55   #20
Filippo
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Jackson
Kind of a formula for non-religious civs:

3 + a number between 1 and 5 (I think it depends on how large your empire is)

this formula is false.

Also, it may just be me, but I seem to notice that you get shorter anarchy if you choose to drop your current gov. as soon as you discover the new gov. technology.