Old January 5, 2004, 18:40   #1
Gluegun
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Req: Educational save files for Original SMAC?
I was wondering if anyone could point me to, or post as a reply, save files or links to threads with save files for the original SMAC. I havent gotten my hands on SMAX, so I'm not able to see good examples of things like Sikander spacing, intelligent base spacing and base customization, what a chop'n'drop looks like.... could someone please help by volunteering some SMAC save files for me to play and/or study? Thanks!
Old January 5, 2004, 19:32   #2
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 3, 2010
One of my Hive games from a little while ago, when I was experimenting with a "fast" tech to restriction lifting. Four saves are included at various timepoints. It mostly shows my base layout, terraforming and expansion technique, with a bit of conquest strategy in the very last save.

I dont think sane people use Sikander spacing but I know how it works and could play a game to illustrate it.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip blakeshivegame.zip (316.6 KB, 15 views)
Old January 5, 2004, 22:29   #3
timotheus4
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:39
what is sikander spacing?
Old January 5, 2004, 23:29   #4
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 3, 2010
This post describes what is now known has sikander spacing, the thread also has various opinions on base spacing from many others.

Heres another save game, Roleplaying the Gaians. Empire design is based almost entirely on ascetics rather than production or effeciency. The bases are spaced about as far apart as they can be while still being 1 turns movement for infantry on roads. All this save really illustrates is that you can still easily compete with the AI without abusing anything at all.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip peacenik2249.zip (61.3 KB, 6 views)
Old January 5, 2004, 23:34   #5
Gluegun
Chieftain

Why does no one "sane" use sikander spacing? While I have tried to read that post, I still have trouble figuring out how a sikander-based empire grows, expands, and is placed, lol... part of that is the savegame thing... Blake, with your game you posted, what technologies do you tend to go for? what rules do you tend to use when making your empire and terraforming? I never seem to build enough units -- are there some times where its especially relevant? When did you decide when to build what in your empire... really, I feel like I need to sit behind an experienced player and watch them go through a game while they explain what they are doing and why, lol...
Old January 13, 2004, 00:27   #6
Gluegun
Chieftain

Bump... anyone have anything to add?

Also, Blake, what alpha.txt settings were you using for that hive game? How did you make that map so nice? Thanks...

Last edited by Gluegun; January 13, 2004 at 00:35.