Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by laurentius
You know that mini ipod is a lot smaller than dells
OK - would you rather have Dell's 15 GB player for 225 or spend 75 bucks more for the 15 GB ipod which can do more, has better software, a better interface, access to a bigger online store and just looks a whole lot cooler?

The mini ipod is for posers. It's the size of a business card. When the 4 gig one comes down to 200 bucks and the 2 gig is released at about 150-175 I think they'll get more takers.

But what kind of ****er would prance around with a pink ipod on his armband?
Old January 8, 2004, 20:15   #62
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Code:
iPod Mini:      3.6" tall
		2.0" wide
		0.5" deep
		4GB
		8 hrs battery life
		$249

Dell DJ:	4.1" tall
		2.7" wide
		0.86" deep
		15GB+
		16 hrs battery life
		$224

iPod:    	4.1" tall
		2.4" wide
		0.62" deep
		15GB+
		8 hrs battery life
		$299
I wouldn't call that alot smaller...
Old January 8, 2004, 20:17   #63
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
OK - would you rather have Dell's 15 GB player for 225 or spend 75 bucks more for the 15 GB ipod which can do more, has better software, a better interface, access to a bigger online store and just looks a whole lot cooler?
How can it do more if it lasts half as long and doesn't support WMA (which is more popular than AAC)?

How can you justify spending 75 bucks more so you can play monochrome solitaire on a 2" screen? The DJ also has a built in microphone, which is considerably more useful than Solitaire.

As for the interface being better, that's purely preference -- and it's ENTIRELY overrated. Only with the recent generation did they allow you to create playlists on your iPod, a feature blatantly stolen from the Zen line... Not to mention the weak DSP and equalizer effects on the iPod line, and a sound quality half as good (roughly) as the Zen and Dell DJs (98 dB SNR versus 92 on the iPods).

Last edited by Asher; January 8, 2004 at 20:24.
Old January 8, 2004, 20:22   #64
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Actually what was funny about the whole ipod mini thing was that Jobs showed a Rio flash player which he then proceeded to trash in every way a player can be trashed.

Then the company altered its website to announce that the player was the "very one shown by Steve Jobs at Macworld 2004".

They must have a sense of humour.
Old January 8, 2004, 20:26   #65
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Actually what was funny about the whole ipod mini thing was that Jobs showed a Rio flash player which he then proceeded to trash in every way a player can be trashed.

Then the company altered its website to announce that the player was the "very one shown by Steve Jobs at Macworld 2004".

They must have a sense of humour.
www.rioaudio.com ?

There's nothing like anything you mentioned there that I can see.
Old January 8, 2004, 20:37   #66
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
I'm just trying to help you guys see just how much money Apple takes from you. Apparently being ripped off isn't a concern for Mac users?
I can't believe no one brought up the insane price gouging MS partakes in with Office in response to this lame troll. You Mac zealots are slipping...
Old January 8, 2004, 20:38   #67
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
I can't believe no one brought up the insane price gouging MS partakes in with Office in response to this lame troll. You Mac zealots are slipping...
I've no idea what you're talking about, I get Office for dirt cheap through my school.

It sets me back $10 (literally)... No complaints here.

Even without the school discounts, you can get the latest standard fully functional Office suite for the same price as OS X... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01083
Old January 8, 2004, 20:42   #68
Drake Tungsten
Deity

So did I, but now that I'm out in the real world (sort of) I actually have to deal with the exorbitant prices MS charges for Office. I'd like to upgrade to Office 2004 when it comes out, seeing as Office X is crap, but I don't know if I want to pay out the ass for it. Apple's software prices are nothing in comparison...
Old January 8, 2004, 20:44   #69
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
So did I, but now that I'm out in the real world (sort of) I actually have to deal with the exorbitant prices MS charges for Office. I'd like to upgrade to Office 2004 when it comes out, seeing as Office X is crap, but I don't know if I want to pay out the ass for it. Apple's software prices are nothing in comparison...
But seeing as it's the same price as OS X (on the PC)...and seeing as most of OS X code is open source and free that Apple doesn't have to invest in...I'm going to have to laugh at your argument.

On the Mac it's slightly more expensive, at $149: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01083

Most people also get away with upgrading Office every 5 years or so, something you don't really have the luxury of doing with OS X for $129/year...
Old January 8, 2004, 20:48   #70
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
But seeing as it's the same price as OS X (on the PC)...and seeing as most of OS X code is open source and free that Apple doesn't have to invest in...I'm going to have to laugh at your argument.
Since when is OS X $360?

Nice try, Glonkie, but no dice. Those of us in the real world have to pay full price for our software...
Old January 8, 2004, 20:52   #71
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Since when is OS X $360?

Nice try, Glonkie, but no dice. Those of us in the real world have to pay full price for our software...
Are you capable of clicking the links?

You get full versions of Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel for the same price as OS X ($129).

That's all 99% of people need. People who need more usually do it because of work. In this case, it is free if their company has it (workers can use the same software from work, at home, for free).

Nice try, but no dice.

Here's the link again for the apparently mentally & visually impaired: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01083
Old January 8, 2004, 21:14   #72
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 17:39
I'd buy Ipod over Dell anyday, even if it would cost little more.

okay maybe not mini ipod but the full version

- Paul Valery
Old January 8, 2004, 23:30   #73
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Here's the link again for the apparently mentally & visually impaired: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...goryId=cat01083
That's the discounted student and teacher version of Office, which I can't buy, you jackass. Good god, we're all used to your dishonesty, but you at least used to put some effort into your deceptions...
Old January 8, 2004, 23:35   #74
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Quote:
Here's the link again for the apparently mentally & visually impaired: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...goryId=cat01083
That's the discounted student and teacher version of Office, which I can't buy, you jackass. Good god, we're all used to your dishonesty, but you at least used to put some effort into your deceptions...
I'm sorry, aren't you teaching English overseas?

Besides, no stores actually check for proof when you buy those -- it's the same thing as Office Standard but much cheaper. For instance, just how do you propose BestBuy and Amazon check for proof that you're a student when you order it online? Think about it.

Their goal is to con morons like you into paying the standard fare for not knowing that anyone can buy the discounted version. More seriously, "Student and Teacher Edition" is simply the Office for non-Commercial (ie: home, school) use. Office Standard is licensed for Commercial (read: business, corporate) use as well.

Why would non-Commercial people buy the Commercial version of Office? Hell if I know.
Old January 8, 2004, 23:42   #75
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I'm sorry, aren't you teaching English overseas?
I'm almost certain that I wouldn't qualify, being outside the U.S. or Canada. Feel free to prove me wrong, though, as I wouldn't mind a cheaper version Office.

Not that they make that version for Mac or anything...

Quote:
Their goal is to con morons like you into paying the standard fare for not knowing that anyone can buy the discounted version.
Ah, so this is how MS treats its customers, yet you're *****ing when Apple charges for its OS and some quality multimedia apps? Wallowing in hypocrisy; how typical...
Old January 8, 2004, 23:46   #76
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
I'm almost certain that I wouldn't qualify, being outside the U.S. or Canada. Feel free to prove me wrong, though, as I wouldn't mind a cheaper version Office.

Not that they make that version for Mac or anything...
No, they certainly don't make a Mac version of it.

I'm sure this "Microsoft Office: Mac -- Student and Teacher Edition" is for PC as well: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01083

Quote:
Ah, so this is how MS treats it's customers, yet you're *****ing when Apple charges for its OS and some quality multimedia apps? Wallowing in hypocrisy; how typical...
Oh, it could be more clearly labeled. But the only people who get bitten by that are morons, as if you bothered to read the box you'd see that one is for Commercial use (Standard) and one is for Non-Commercial Use (Student and Teacher Edition).

See my "More seriously,..." extension...
Old January 8, 2004, 23:49   #77
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:39
I could have sworn the Teacher Student version is deactivated after 50 uses without proof of ownership to Microsoft.

No?

Or do you propose a hack Asher?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 8, 2004, 23:49   #78
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Their goal is to con morons like you into paying the standard fare for not knowing that anyone can buy the discounted version.
How am I supposed to read the box online and 6000 miles from the nearest Best Buy?

Anyway, my work here is done. I know damn well that you'll never stop spewing out bullshit arguments, so I bid you adieu.
Old January 8, 2004, 23:51   #79
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
I could have sworn the Teacher Student version is deactivated after 50 uses without proof of ownership to Microsoft.

No?

Or do you propose a hack Asher?
Where did you hear that?
The version I got was a S&T edition and I've used it way over 50 times.

Are you confusing this with product activation? You can only use Office a certain many times before you need to activate it (much like Windows), but all you need is the code it gives you...
Old January 8, 2004, 23:52   #80
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
How am I supposed to read the box online and 6000 miles from the nearest Best Buy?

Anyway, my work here is done. I know damn well that you'll never stop spewing out bullshit arguments, so I bid you adieu.
That's particularly fitting considering the only person here that was spewing bullshit was you, and you just found out something you didn't know about before. Rather than you admit you were wrong, you make up an excuse and leave.
Old January 8, 2004, 23:54   #81
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Old January 8, 2004, 23:55   #82
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

http://www.entertainme.co.uk/cgi-bin...locale-uk.html

Quote:
I just bought this software, and was very pleased about the price! It does slightly bemuse me that there is no ID required to activate the software, surely anyone can buy it and just pretend to be a student, or does microsoft assume everyone in the world is honest?! It could do with having Access tho. This is a very useful program for us students! Also Publisher wouldnt go a miss, but I do understand you cant have everything!! Overall though, a good buy, and saves walking miles to use uni computers!! It is a platform that all schools and unis use, so buying Wordperfect of Lotus just becomes infuriating, as I have found some of my work to be specific to Excel for example. Definately the package to buy, so what are you waiting for?!
Old January 8, 2004, 23:57   #83
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Where did you hear that?
The version I got was a S&T edition and I've used it way over 50 times.

Are you confusing this with product activation? You can only use Office a certain many times before you need to activate it (much like Windows), but all you need is the code it gives you...
Yeah I know it requires activation but I could of sworn that there was another imbedded counter like the activation one that required MS action. May simply be an urban legend.

Whoops I see your refering to MS Teacher/Student 2003. I was refering to MS Teacher/Student XP.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 8, 2004, 23:59   #84
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:39
The girl's enthusiasm for an Office (with "What are you waintig for?") seems quite suspicious to me. I fail to see how one can be that enthusiastic when speaking about one package of Office among others...
Old January 8, 2004, 23:59   #85
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
Yeah I know it requires activation but I could of sworn that there was another imbedded counter like the activation one that required MS action. May simply be an urban legend.
There's only the one activation thing, and it's either a 30-day thing or a X-many-uses thing -- I don't know cause I do it the first time I use it.

The activation thing is the same stuff you get in the other editions, where you need to type the code you're given and it sends it to the servers and verifies it, etc.

You can also install and activate the S&T edition on 3 computers.
Old January 9, 2004, 00:01   #86
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Like I edited above, your talking 2003 version and I was thinking the XP version.

And yes the 3 license version is sweet.

Old January 9, 2004, 03:19   #87
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
* Spiffor munches
**Sits down and joins Spiffor.** Mhhhm! Delicious, buttery popcorn! What? Can't a guy sit down for some popcorn?! I got tired of swinging my Viking broadsword, OK. **reaches for bag** GIMME!

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old January 9, 2004, 03:39   #88
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I don't know why you guys want to watch this played out fight. The uber-nationalistic action in the "most badass weapon" thread is much more entertaining. Arguments about genocide always trump those about how awesome Apple really is.
Old January 9, 2004, 07:31   #89
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
I don't know why you guys want to watch this played out fight. The uber-nationalistic action in the "most badass weapon" thread is much more entertaining. Arguments about genocide always trump those about how awesome Apple really is.
And Apple really is awesome.
Old January 9, 2004, 10:23   #90
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT