Old January 13, 2004, 03:29   #151
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
You don't have to buy anti-virus software for Mac OS X because there aren't any OS X viruses. Nor is there any OS X spyware.

Some people claim to have found a couple, but nothing definite so far. And it's been out for years now.
security by obfuscation? you know, the diebold voting machines thought the mere fact that the relative scarcity of smartcards would protect their machines from hacking.
just because you don't see a threat doesn't mean you let your guard down. i pity the fool who lets his box get hacked because "there's no reason to hack me."

Quote:
It isn't to be partisan against a monopoly.
it isn't? funny, the way you seem to be so adamantly against microsoft is just kinda tiring. i'll never understand the hate people have for microsoft, or the scorn people have for macs. it's not my fault some are too small-minded or petty to find enjoyment in computers, no matter what they are.

Quote:
Anyway, I hate M$ beccause Windows 95 once destroyed all my documents.

No Macintosh of mine has ever destroyed my documents, crapped out on me, forced me to spend a lot of money on it or contracted a virus.
no windows install has ever lost all of my data. if you want me to cry for you because you didn't take adequate backups...
sorry, kiddies, but problems with the computer often lie between the seat and the keyboard.
i've never had trouble with windows, i've never had trouble with macs. i have had trouble with linux, but linux doesn't hold your hand.
this doesn't mean some people don't have problems. but asher points out quite well that apple has its share of issues too.

Quote:
If only people stopped falling for that particular piece of bullshit.
how is windows lifting some basic principles of GUI from mac any different from mac lifting basic principles from Xerox PARC?
Old January 13, 2004, 03:49   #152
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
i'll never understand the hate people have for microsoft, or the scorn people have for macs. it's not my fault some are too small-minded or petty to find enjoyment in computers, no matter what they are.
Old January 13, 2004, 05:35   #153
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
Quote:
You don't have to buy anti-virus software for Mac OS X because there aren't any OS X viruses. Nor is there any OS X spyware.

Some people claim to have found a couple, but nothing definite so far. And it's been out for years now.
security by obfuscation? you know, the diebold voting machines thought the mere fact that the relative scarcity of smartcards would protect their machines from hacking.
just because you don't see a threat doesn't mean you let your guard down. i pity the fool who lets his box get hacked because "there's no reason to hack me."
It's not security by obfuscation - a few reporters have had to eat their words on this one. There are infinitely more viruses for Linux than OS X. Perhaps people just can't be bothered. But who cares - there are no viruses for Mac OS X and in the end that's all that matters.

I'm not going to bother with AV since there aren't any viruses and there haven't been for over three years now. Why waste money through paranoia?

Quote:
Quote:
It isn't to be partisan against a monopoly.
it isn't? funny, the way you seem to be so adamantly against microsoft is just kinda tiring. i'll never understand the hate people have for microsoft, or the scorn people have for macs. it's not my fault some are too small-minded or petty to find enjoyment in computers, no matter what they are.
Oh don't we talk luvverly now. Your pseudo high-minded attempt to remain neutral just strikes me as someone who can't be bothered to argue.

This has been a pretty civil thread (well it looks that way if you have Asshat on ignore) apart from your attempt to start a fight.

If there's a place for debates such as these, it's here - where people like debating it. If you don't like them, butt out. If you find it so tiring, just **** off. I'm certainly not going to listen to your whining. Why would you think that people need your permission to argue about things?

Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, I hate M$ beccause Windows 95 once destroyed all my documents.

No Macintosh of mine has ever destroyed my documents, crapped out on me, forced me to spend a lot of money on it or contracted a virus.
no windows install has ever lost all of my data. if you want me to cry for you because you didn't take adequate backups...
The whole thing went phut numerous times and I couldn't be bothered with it anymore. It just wasn't very good software.

Perhaps it was automagic....

Quote:
sorry, kiddies, but problems with the computer often lie between the seat and the keyboard.
i've never had trouble with windows, i've never had trouble with macs. i have had trouble with linux, but linux doesn't hold your hand.
Jesus Christ. You should listen to yourself. I couldn't give a toss what you think.

Quote:
this doesn't mean some people don't have problems. but asher points out quite well that apple has its share of issues too.
Oh he does not.

He exaggerates some minor issues or invents non-existent problems - he also goes back and re-edits his posts when he screws up. I've caught him lying a couple of times and for that among his other pathetic antics so he's staying on ignore for good.

Perhaps once in a blue moon he makes a fair point. But that's the exception rather than the rule.

Quote:
Quote:
If only people stopped falling for that particular piece of bullshit.
how is windows lifting some basic principles of GUI from mac any different from mac lifting basic principles from Xerox PARC?
Didn't bother reading it did you? The Mac OS didn't have a lot in common with PARC. The PARC project was also dead by the time the Mac was under development.

Last edited by Agathon; January 13, 2004 at 06:15.
Old January 13, 2004, 06:22   #154
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
i'll never understand the hate people have for microsoft, or the scorn people have for macs. it's not my fault some are too small-minded or petty to find enjoyment in computers, no matter what they are.
Drake, I'm so disappointed in you. Understand that we have to smite the heretics until all life has departed from their ignoble Microsoft-loving bodies. If we don't then the enemy will use the one ring to dominate all life forms and bring darkness to Middle Earth.

This isn't computing, it's WAR!!! The enemy are EVIL!!! Bill Gates is SATAN!!! THEY MUST DIE!!

Show us your war face.

Who gives a crap about Dems vs. Repugs, or capitalism vs. commies. This REALLY MATTERS!!!

Old January 13, 2004, 07:52   #155
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I'm too tired to put on my war face; that oyako don/apple dinner has officially rocked me. Why does Japanese fruit have to be so god damn big?
Old January 13, 2004, 08:02   #156
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
I'm too tired to put on my war face; that oyako don/apple dinner has officially rocked me. Why does Japanese fruit have to be so god damn big?
Thinking of you.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	61704  
Old January 13, 2004, 08:04   #157
Drake Tungsten
Deity

God, don't even joke about such a horrible thing...
Old January 13, 2004, 11:24   #158
Drake Tungsten
Deity

This song is more appropriate, anyway...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	jap cowboy.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	61710  
Old January 13, 2004, 11:26   #159
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Old January 13, 2004, 17:58   #160
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
Quote:
It's not security by obfuscation - a few reporters have had to eat their words on this one. There are infinitely more viruses for Linux than OS X. Perhaps people just can't be bothered. But who cares - there are no viruses for Mac OS X and in the end that's all that matters.
where did i ever deny this? i didn't. all i said is that just because you don't know of a threat to your precious little mac, that doesn't mean there isn't one. furthermore, if you do a quick google search, you'll see that yes, there are no known viruses for mac os x. but here's a news flash: mac os x is based off of darwin, which comes from freebsd, which is, you guessed it, a unix. meaning that just because you haven't gotten stung doesn't mean that you won't at some future point.

Quote:
I'm not going to bother with AV since there aren't any viruses and there haven't been for over three years now. Why waste money through paranoia?
security through paranoia is better than security through obfuscation, which is what the "no av for osx" is.
i have no need of a firewall on my linux install. nor do i need av. but why do i put them in? because it's a best practice.

it's your choice if you don't buy the av for your mac os x. but i would rather spend us$50 for virex than lose my data because some nutjob let one loose on os x.

Quote:
Oh don't we talk luvverly now. Your pseudo high-minded attempt to remain neutral just strikes me as someone who can't be bothered to argue.

This has been a pretty civil thread (well it looks that way if you have Asshat on ignore) apart from your attempt to start a fight.
i'm trying to start a fight? where? all i've said is that macs are not the be-all-end-all of computer design. why is my neutral stance "pseudo high-minded"? what makes you think that i can't be bothered to argue, particularly when i'm responding to your posts?

Quote:
If there's a place for debates such as these, it's here - where people like debating it. If you don't like them, butt out. If you find it so tiring, just **** off. I'm certainly not going to listen to your whining. Why would you think that people need your permission to argue about things?
where the **** does it seem that i'm requiring people to have my permission to do this? you and asher seem to do fine making hot rough lurve to each other over competing systems.

Quote:
The whole thing went phut numerous times and I couldn't be bothered with it anymore. It just wasn't very good software.
a windows install does not require you to blank out the HD. again, if you didn't take numerous backups...

Quote:
Jesus Christ. You should listen to yourself. I couldn't give a toss what you think.
then why are you responding to me, agathon? why is my belief that apple and macs are not the supreme computer system of all time so bothersome to you?
do you not remember that i myself like macs? or is that a trivial detail, and the fact that i'm not buying into the whole mac cult.ure make me an outsider to you?

Quote:
Oh he does not.

He exaggerates some minor issues or invents non-existent problems - he also goes back and re-edits his posts when he screws up. I've caught him lying a couple of times and for that among his other pathetic antics so he's staying on ignore for good.

Perhaps once in a blue moon he makes a fair point. But that's the exception rather than the rule.
quite civil, aren't we?
points he's made about
the 15in ibooks' logic board.
the ipod batteries until recently being of shoddy quality and irreplaceable.
the 21in powerbooks cracking the screen on opening..
the itunes ****ing over win2k installs.
points other people have made:
the mini-ipod being overpriced for what it is.
the imacs being the crap they are.
the price tag being too high for most people.

Quote:
Didn't bother reading it did you? The Mac OS didn't have a lot in common with PARC. The PARC project was also dead by the time the Mac was under development.
look. if you're going to complain about windows ripping off macs, why don't you complain about gnu desktops like gnome or kde? or hell, other os desktops, like menuetos, skyos, or nextstep?
sure the apple group came up with a lot of ****. so did the microsoft group: the integration of the browser as the main method of exploring the computer, for instance. but seriously, there's only so far you can push with a gui; unlike computer hardware which has a relatively steady progression, gui advances come in leaps. all desktops now have the features mentioned, more or less.
do you deny that jobs might not have gotten the spark that led to mac os from Xerox?
Old January 13, 2004, 19:02   #161
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:39
I'm still utterly amazed Agathon is still doing the "Asher always lies, because he lied about iTunes deleting your files when you move outside of the US!", which was true when I said it and Apple has since changed that policy.

He's either managed to actually convince himself that I'm "lying" all the time (though he only ever uses that iTunes example, which has been debunked).

At the same time, he consistently makes an ass out of himself and can NEVER debate properly -- astonishing considering I thought Philosophers were supposed to be exceptionally good at it.

Agathon's a fanboy. At least I use facts and rational logic when flaming Apple, rather than Agathon's "MS sucks, MS sucks, you lie, why aren't you debating with me, Windows sucks, itunes rules, look at this itunes screenshot, M$ sucks, apple is awesome"...
Old January 13, 2004, 21:37   #162
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

i'm trying to start a fight? where? all i've said is that macs are not the be-all-end-all of computer design. why is my neutral stance "pseudo high-minded"? what makes you think that i can't be bothered to argue, particularly when i'm responding to your posts?
You really are a pathetic jerk. You complain about people arguing about this sort of stuff while at the same time trying to start a fight about the very same thing. Hypocrisy thy name is...

Moreover, you come up with the same tired old crap that's been done to death by dickhead umpteen times. As I said, some of it may be right, but it is all shamelessly exaggerated.

I really can't be bothered with such lame trolls Although I will point out that the whole ipod battery controversy was bullshit. If the ignorant idiots had bothered to Google they would have found you could buy a replacement battery for 50 bucks.

This is almost the same as in that philosophy/politics thread where you posted endless illiterate semi-English drivel and maintained the same tired old position in spite of being shot full of holes by numerous posters.
Old January 13, 2004, 21:46   #163
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I wonder if Agathon knows what an ******* and moron he looks like right now.

Not to mention pretty stupid because he doesn't comprehend that the "battery" controversy occured well before Apple offered an official replacement for $99 rather than $199 (the 50 buck one is third party, which is irrelevant when discussing what Apple will do to people who report a bad battery...). Ditto with the iTunes-deleting-stuff.

I'd estimate his IQ to be around the 70 mark (really).

Anyone else wanna guess his IQ?
Old January 13, 2004, 21:47   #164
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Though I must admit the brilliance of his last post, which is perfectly fitting when applied to himself.

If it were anyone else, I'd assume this was an intentional act. But with Agathon, I'm sure it is not.
Old January 13, 2004, 22:11   #165
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Old January 13, 2004, 22:24   #166
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Dig, dig, dig...
Old January 13, 2004, 22:39   #167
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Why did you get involved in this pathetic "debate", Q3? You're better than that...
Old January 13, 2004, 22:46   #168
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

QCubed's contributions are legit and intelligent.

Agathon's responses have entirely skirted around issues QCubed brings back and involve ad hominems rather than a debate.

The reason for this, of course, is Agathon has no ****ing clue what he's talking about.
Old January 13, 2004, 22:47   #169
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
QCubed's contributions are legit and intelligent.
I know. That's why I'm suprised that he's wasting his time trying to bring reason to you and Agathon's crap vendetta. I stopped a long time ago...
Old January 14, 2004, 03:30   #170
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
well, jesus, he bought an imac. he gets what he deserves.
I know that was posted in response to Asher's links to the bad business Web site, but what's that supposed to mean? I'm on an iMac now, one that hasn't caused me a single problem in the 4 1/2 years I've had it. Not one! You can't judge an entire line of computers based on the sample provided by Asher. Good grief. If people did that, every single damn computer maker would've been out of business a month after they shipped their first unit.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old January 14, 2004, 04:48   #171
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Why did you get involved in this pathetic "debate", Q3? You're better than that...
No he's not. You should see some of the other crap he posts. What kind of clown insists you should buy anti virus software for a platform that has had no confirmed viruses in nearly four years of operation?

The fact is that the discovery of an OS X virus would be so novel that I would hear about it long before I ever got infected. Read my lips - no viruses and little prospect of viruses - ergo no need for anti virus software.

And you might notice that there was no real "debate" here until he tried to start one (since I don't read or respond to Asher's posts apart from the occasional ) despite his protestations of high minded neutrality. Indeed this was originally a Macworld thread and should have stayed that way.

Last edited by Agathon; January 14, 2004 at 04:59.
Old January 14, 2004, 04:56   #172
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
since I don't read Asher's posts
A wise decision.
Old January 14, 2004, 05:06   #173
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
since I don't read Asher's posts
A wise decision.
I don't want to get banned on his account and there's no point rehashing over old material.

Did you end up buying an ipod?

BTW I really like this program (for legal uses of course - which in Canada is almost anything)

http://acqlite.sourceforge.net/
Old January 14, 2004, 05:09   #174
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Gnutella...

Is the Mac world about 3 years behind the PC in filesharing technology, or does it only seem that way?
Old January 14, 2004, 05:12   #175
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

You know, you have to be some kind of pathetic cretin to respond to someone who has you on ignore.
Old January 14, 2004, 05:15   #176
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

1) I know you do read them, you can't help it
2) That wasn't in response to you
3) Anything that highlights your stupidity is well worth the time. The fact that you're too busy being a baby to address any debate seriously or with some kind of sensical argument is too much for me to pass up mocking.
Old January 14, 2004, 05:26   #177
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Not yet, but I'm planning on picking one up soon.

Quote:
BTW I really like this program (for legal uses of course - which in Canada is almost anything)

I don't think anything can touch Poisoned right now...

Last edited by Drake Tungsten; January 14, 2004 at 05:48.
Old January 14, 2004, 05:52   #178
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Not yet, but I'm planning on picking one up soon.

Quote:

I don't think anything can touch Poisoned right now...
Only if you like that network that starts with K.
Old January 14, 2004, 05:53   #179
Drake Tungsten
Deity

It supports Gnutella, too. I use both pretty regularly.
Old January 14, 2004, 06:07   #180
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
It supports Gnutella, too. I use both pretty regularly.
Yeah I know. I don't like the interface though and it's not a very good Gnutella client.

Although I should really try the new version of Poisoned.