Old January 6, 2004, 03:50   #121
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 23:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Even the Indians, who for reasons of their own go their own way, maintian links with the Imperial power and wouldn't trade English or cricket for anything. They are misguided in that cricket bit, but nobody's perfect.
Don't knock Indian cricket right now. They just came yay close to knocking over the last few Australian wickets and taking the series.
Old January 6, 2004, 03:54   #122
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:40
Quote:
Flambe from the French is a matter of course.
Seriously, you would probably be insulting many people in the world if you told them "see, the British brought you railroads, textile mills, postal services, and organized public works". They'd rather have done it themselves.

And back on topic: I think France's influence is greater than Britain, because they are bossing the EU, and because they are not overshadowed by the US.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old January 6, 2004, 04:01   #123
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:40
I said nothing about what the British brought them. I simply mentioned that Britain had many, willing, members of her Empire. Why do you suppose that was?

Which is the world's largest liberal democracy? And why do you think they are the way they are?
Old January 6, 2004, 04:22   #124
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:40
Quote:
As your empire of fear crumbled around you,
Speaking of which....Hasn't anyone noticed the trend for the tourch of the "Empire of Fear"?

London ----> Berlin ----> Moscow ----> Washington DC

So where will it land next?

London---->Berlin
577 (580)

Berlin----->Moscow
1006 (1000)

Moscow------>Washington
4872 (4870)

I see something.....x80, x00, x70...the next one will be x00 then.
Now lets look at this....5xx, 10xx, and then 48xx. 5xx*2=10xx, and 10*4.8=48xx....
So we just multiply 48xx by 7.6 and we get 365xx (rounded).
Old January 6, 2004, 04:23   #125
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 08:40
Has no one mentioned Brazil yet?

Its economy is the size of Canada (Purchasing Power Adjusted, which I think is the fair way to compare GDP) their population is large and peacefull, their goverment stable their military adiquite. They exert a great deal of influence over their Continent. (Also their weomen are HOT!!)

Its a Regional Power, on the same line of thought. Nigeria in East Africa, South Africa in Southern Africa, Saudi Arabia/Egypt in the Arab world (and globaly if you consider Oil). The level of influence a county has is determined a great deal by who their neibors are. Canada would be a much more influential Country if it was not right next to the US. Regional Powers can exert influence over their region which is equal to if not greater then even the top global superpower can exert. And because a Global Power needs regional powers to be friendly with them, the Global power can often not use the full measure of their power in oposition to a regional power in that lesser powers sphere of influence lest they risk offending it.

My list goes as follows - Note that I put a high premium on countries that routinly TELL others what to do and then back it up, many nations tend to stick to themselves and dont influence others to the extent they could if they were as bossy as other countries. Conversly how much the rest of the world CARES what another Country thinks has a great deal to do with who is influential, this effect is very pronouced when if comes to France, some how the french have tricked much of the non english speaking world into thinking they are influential, and low and behond this self fuffiling proficy dose infact make France influential because France acts influential and everyone else just eat it up. Ironicaly the more we complain about France the more influential we make it.

1. USA (enough said)
2. UK (long historic influce and recent willingness to use its power in partnership with US, Perm Security Council)
3. France (long historic influence and willingness to use its power in oposition to the US, Perm Security Council)
4. Russia (lingering influence from USSR days, significant military power, Perm Security Council)
5. Japan (second largest Economy on Earth, major cultural influence on Asia, lingering effects of WW2 and resent Economic stagnation reduce their influence)
6. China (Rapidly growing Economy, Huge Potential means they are being treated as more powerfull then they ACTUALY are because we know they soon WILL be)
7. Germany (strong Economy, significant EU influence moderated by the fact that the EU dosent have much influence or military strength, also no Security Council)

8-10 NONE, their are only 7 Global super Powers in my opinon so you cant have a top 10. A list of 10 would simply be an atempt to deside what the top 3 Regional Powers are and stick them at the bottom of the list.

Regional Powers - In no particular order as each is the top dog only in its local area.

Brazil, Nigeria, South Africa, Mexico, Iran, India, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Turkey
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 6, 2004, 04:35   #126
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I agree re Brazil. They will surprise people, I think.
Old January 6, 2004, 04:40   #127
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Aren't they supposedly controlled by the Illuminati?
Old January 6, 2004, 04:53   #128
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:40
Quote:
c) You bring up a point I've brought up before. Why should we give them cash if they're going to treat us like ****? No reason I can see. **** 'em.
Agreed. I'm glad we did not send troops to Iraq. I just disagree with how Chretien handled the whole situation.

As for NYE, I should link to that in my sig. After all I used to have a british calvary avatar.

One King, One Flag, One Empire.
Old January 6, 2004, 04:58   #129
notyoueither
Deity

Don't forget the Fleet, that bit had an important part in Canadian history. It's actually the reason why we paid for RN dreadnaughts, and did not construct our own navy. That slogan was not just a jingo.
Old January 6, 2004, 08:11   #130
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 17:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
GROSS PRODUCT IN YEAR 2001
(billions of dollars)
1 United States $10,171
2 Japan 4,245
3 Germany 1,874
4 United Kingdom 1,406
CALIFORNIA 1,392
5 France 1,303
6 China 1,159
7 Italy 1,091
8 Canada 677
9 Mexico 618
10 Spain 577
We are number ten!!!
Old January 6, 2004, 08:17   #131
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

About China, it is overestimated or not depending what are you exactly measuring. The best definition for China is "a giant with mud's feet". Their regime and the tight control it had over the country allows their rulers to destinate enormous parts of their GDP to "great projects" like the spatial programme or the nuclear programme while their people are starving. So, when you scratch China's surface it is not as much as it seems.
Old January 6, 2004, 08:19   #132
OliverFA
King

By the way, Why is everyone forgetting Switzerland? A very strong economy, top R+D and an army of 500,000 people.
Old January 6, 2004, 08:27   #133
OliverFA
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oncle Boris
And back on topic: I think France's influence is greater than Britain, because they are bossing the EU, and because they are not overshadowed by the US.
Wrong! They are destroying the EU. Lot of former pro EU people (and European governments) changed their mind after seeing how France pretend to convert the EU in their own empire.
Old January 6, 2004, 08:30   #134
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 16:40
oliver, don't take boris seriously, you know he's wrong, i know he's wrong, everybody else knows he's wrong, so there's no need to respond to the rubbish he writes

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 6, 2004, 08:57   #135
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

1914:

Germany
USA
UK
France
Japan
Austria
Russia
Turkey
Argentina

Old January 6, 2004, 10:26   #136
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
See, the problem part with the British for all the rest of you tossers, is the Brits managed to create an empire who actually wanted and want to belong to it, even if they think it outmoded and too much of a burden today.

Even the Indians, who for reasons of their own go their own way, maintian links with the Imperial power and wouldn't trade English or cricket for anything. They are misguided in that cricket bit, but nobody's perfect.

So, go ahead comrade, have fun. As your empire of fear crumbled around you, you can think forlorn thoughts about how someone else actually got it right long before you tried, and their achivements will be remembered long after the dead husk of your tyranny is forgotten in the ash heaps of history.

Oh yes, and I fully expect some Aussie to flame this post.
Yeah, because we all know how South Africa was a lovely example of freedom and liberty in that part of the British Empire.
Old January 6, 2004, 10:41   #137
C0ckney
King

maybe you should read about south africa after 1910 before you put all the blame on us mrfun...

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 6, 2004, 11:02   #138
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

1. USA
2. UK
3. China
4. France
5. Germany
6. Russia
7. Japan
8. Canada
9. India
10. Notimportantenoughistan

Just couldn't come up with a worthy #10.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 6, 2004, 11:09   #139
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

A dynamic view

1. EU
2. USA
3. CHINA
4. JAPAN
5. RUSSIA

1. EU
2. CHINA
3. USA
4. JAPAN
5. RUSSIA

1. EU
2. CHINA
3. JAPAN
4. USA
5. RUSSIA

1. EU
2. CHINA
3. JAPAN
4. RUSSIA
5. USA
6. CANADA

1. EU
2. CHINA
3. JAPAN
4. RUSSIA
5. CANADA
6. USA
7. BRAZIL

1. EU
2. CHINA
3. JAPAN
4. RUSSIA
5. CANADA
6. BRAZIL
7. USA
8. INDIA

1. EU
2. CHINA
3. JAPAN
4. RUSSIA
5. CANADA
6. BRAZIL
7. INDIA
8. USA
9. NIGERIA

1. EU
2. CHINA
3. JAPAN
4. RUSSIA
5. CANADA
6. BRAZIL
7. INDIA
8. NIGERIA
9. USA
10. TONGA
Old January 6, 2004, 11:11   #140
Ollie Oliver
Settler

Mordor.
Old January 6, 2004, 11:11   #141
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

@ davout
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 6, 2004, 11:31   #142
lord of the mark
Deity

I think y'all are underestimating China.

1. Military - the only state that the US military really worries about
2. Force projection - no they cant send a couple of battalions of paras to some african hellhole like France or UK can, but whats that really worth to France and UK? China CAN project force on the Korean peninsula, in Southeast Asia, and potentially against Russia.
3. Diplomatic - important influence all across east asia, which collectively is THE most important and growing part of the planet. Influence in south asia, and central asia. Yes they dont assert themselves on the UNSC like France does, thats cause theyre too busy building up their real power, not overplaying a weak and declining hand.
4. The power of their market - their large and growing market makes them particularly important to global industry.

Y'all are overestimating Israel - economy well below 10, diplomatically relatively isolated, military strong WHEN fully mobilized, which they cant be for very long. Doesnt belong on the top 10. Australia would be a better pick, for its economy, resources, strategic position, etc.

Brazil definitely a better pick than Saudi, and even South Africa is worth a mention as a regional power.

Sheer size of economy would out Italy in or near the 10, i suspect a bias against Italy because of internal political weakness and no recent military successes.
Old January 6, 2004, 12:01   #143
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Italy was going to be my #10, but yeah their political instability/military weakness led to me putting "notimportantenoughistan" in their place.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 6, 2004, 12:32   #144
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

2. Force projection - no they cant send a couple of battalions of paras to some african hellhole like France or UK can, but whats that really worth to France and UK? China CAN project force on the Korean peninsula, in Southeast Asia, and potentially against Russia.
But that´s not really the meaning of force projection. Every country with a mentionable army is able to move forces into regions at its borders or a bit further. What you say for China goes for Russia, India, and Pakistan as well. But not everyone can project force around the world in an acceptable timeframe, and with forces that can actually DO something there (heavy armor, air mobile forces, air power etc.). And the UK has just shown that it can send more than some battalions into the ME. I´d assume similar abilities for France.

When China attacked Vietnam in 1979 they had lots of difficulties, mildly expressed - some count this as complete failure. I´m not convinced that they´d do a lot better now.
Old January 6, 2004, 14:03   #145
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro

But that´s not really the meaning of force projection. Every country with a mentionable army is able to move forces into regions at its borders or a bit further. What you say for China goes for Russia, India, and Pakistan as well. But not everyone can project force around the world in an acceptable timeframe, and with forces that can actually DO something there (heavy armor, air mobile forces, air power etc.). And the UK has just shown that it can send more than some battalions into the ME. I´d assume similar abilities for France.

When China attacked Vietnam in 1979 they had lots of difficulties, mildly expressed - some count this as complete failure. I´m not convinced that they´d do a lot better now.

with all due respect to our gallant British allies, they have sent about one division to the ME, with logistical support from the US, via friendly Kuwait. I assume China could do the same, if they chose. Indeed, by that standard Romania, Bulgaria, Spain, Dominican Republic, etc can all move at least some units around. I assume that was is meant by force projection is the ability to move ones own troops around without logistical support from allies, and where necessary via air drop or amphibious landing without assistance from any local state. UK and France may have that ability, but its not large scale, and not all that politically important.

Yup, China lost to NVA, who, at the time, were considered among the best infantry in the world. And who relied on the economic and logistic support of the SU, a superpower. The threat presented by China is a principle motive for VN's reconciliation with the US, yet one more example of Chinas importance in the Pacific sphere.
Old January 6, 2004, 14:13   #146
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
with all due respect to our gallant British allies, they have sent about one division to the ME, with logistical support from the US, via friendly Kuwait. I assume China could do the same, if they chose.
On the timeline that we had before the war? Nope. Don't think so. You are forgetting that logistics are fairly complicated.

With the UK, we knew they had good quality as well.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 6, 2004, 14:19   #147
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
maybe you should read about south africa after 1910 before you put all the blame on us mrfun...
My point is that superficial glorification of the British empire ignores the crimes that have been committed against various groups of people.

Oh -- I forgot to mention how British settlers in Australia hunted down aboriginals like they were game animals.
Old January 6, 2004, 15:41   #148
notyoueither
Deity

A bit full of yourself today, are you not, MrFun?

I did not say that nothing bad ever happened in the Empire. I was trading barbs with the comrade.
Old January 6, 2004, 15:41   #149
MrFun
Emperor

fine -- carry on
Old January 6, 2004, 17:01   #150
Nubclear

Quote:
I was trading barbs with the comrade.
The Soviet Union was more evil than the British Empire